Why does Gerrard wear number 4 for England?

Steven Gerrard MBE is a Liverpool and England footballer. He was born on May 30th 1980 in Whiston, Merseyside. He is England vice captain and wears the number 4 shirt when playing. He is captain of Liverpool and is a legend to most Liverpool fans.

Why not? I think Lamps has 8 (what he wears for the pool, right?) so what number would be more suitable for hime, and why?

I’ll take a guess.

Gerrard wears No.8 for Liverpool. He made his debut for England in May 2000, but the England No.8 shirt was already occupied by Frank Lampard, who first played for the national side seven months earlier. England players with squad numbers 1-11 are generally seen as the first choice team so Gerrard sought, or was allocated, a first team number available at that time. The No.4 shirt was clearly vacant in May 2000 and, to employ old terminology, is traditionally representative of a wing half, now called a midfield player.

While Gerrard often plays an advanced role for England (and currently for Liverpool) a midfield player is basically what he is.

It could have something to do with the old numbering system. Formations have changed since the first time players were numbered, so when a player was moved to fit a new position, he kept the same number. If England are playing a 442, then the numbers are generally 2, 5, 6, 3 for defenders, 7, 4, 8, 11 for midfielders and 9 & 10 for forwards.

Gerrard’s not a winger, so 7 & 11 are out (although he has worn #11 before). We all know Lampard can’t defend, so he gets the #8 as the attacking midfielder. That leaves #4 for Gerrard who gets to be the holding midfielder.

Because he can’t count to five.

Maybe he’s a huge fan of Brett Favre. Has he been retiring and then unretiring and then retiring again and then unretiring again lately?

In all seriousness, I doubt he’s ever heard of Brett Favre.