What happens when a stock is delisted (on the TSX)?

My husband and I bought stock in a gold mine company a couple of years ago. It’s had it’s ups and downs, but I tried not to think of that.

A delisting review was started a few months ago, and then last week, it was announced that it would be delisted within 30 days (why do they wait a month, anyway?).

It seems to us that the company is still going ahead with their plans (they haven’t started production yet), or at least hasn’t announced that they are going bankrupt or anything.

A few questions:

Would there be a strategic reason for a company to allow themselves to be delisted?
What happens to the stock? It doesn’t just simply disappear, does it? I mean, we own part of the company, don’t we?
I know there are a couple of secondary tranding entities - how do those work? Same theory, just less regulated?
What if they don’t go to another trading entity - do we then collect dividends or something?

If we lose it all we’re out a big chunk of money, so I’ve been trying not to think about it too much and am holding out hope. There is still hope, right?

(PS: Since it’s not delisted yet, and trading is still active, the stock is still bouncing around. It went way down (and had about 100X the normal volume) but now it’s going back up. Why?)

Missed the edit window - in my PS, I mean the price has been bouncing around after the delisting announcement, but now it’s going back up.

They can go to the Pink Sheets. That is only for US stocks though, I think. Not sure about what happens to stocks that were listed on the TSX.

A stock that’s delisted cannot be traded on that particular exchange. However, the company itself is still around and its stock still can be bought and sold.

The problem is that without belonging to a stock exchange, the stock is much harder to trade which makes it more illiquid. Stock markets don’t simply trade stocks, but build a market for the stock. Depending upon an exchange, certain brokers become market makers for that particular stock, and other brokers will go to that particular broker to buy or sell the stock.

In the U.S., the Pink Sheets referred to in an earlier post is a way for non-listed stock to be traded. The company was called the National Quotation Bureau, but they printed their quotes on pink sheets in order for traders to know these were non-listed stocks. Later on, the company actually took on the name “Pink Sheets”.

Even in the Pink Sheet trading, there are multiple levels. There are premium stocks that fully disclose their finances but may either be too small for a stock exchange, or simply don’t meet full SEC compliance. Most delisted companies go to this level – at least at first.

Then there is the next level where stocks are rated on how much disclosure that they give. The categories are Current, Limited, and No Information.

You can obviously see why a company will do almost anything to avoid delisting. Delisting makes it harder to trade your shares, and you get associated with fly-by-night companies who are traded in the Pink Sheets. Companies can do several tricks to prevent delisting including reverse splitting of their shares if they are trading below the limit of the exchange. In NASDAQ, the limit is $1.00.

Before the current recession, a company would have 30 days to get its stock price above a $1.00 before being delisted, and it was pretty automatic. However, due to the recession, NASDAQ has lightened up a bit on the policy. Companies that trade below $1.00 per share are put on a watch list. If it appears that the company is continuing to have financial issues, the company is then giving an official delisting notice and it has the 30 day period to move its stock price above $1.00 per share. Failing that, the company is delisted.

I believe the Toronto exchange works in a similar way. You must maintain a particular stock price in order to be listed. They also have another board called the NEX that is for companies that get delisted or otherwise don’t qualify for the TSX. I am not 100% sure if companies on the NEX are considered delisted, or just not as active.

Thank you for the information qazwart!

If the TSX is similar in a minimum price requirement, that may be why this stock was delisted. They are trading below $1 and have been for a while.

How much of your overall portfolio does this one particular stock represent? If you stand to lose a “big chunk” of money in a company that you seem to have little confidence in you ought to consider selling at least some of it and diversifying.

It is a suckers game to “hold out hope” for a tanking company. Been there, done that. It is emontionally difficult to solidify your losses by buying high and selling low, but if the company’s outlook is not good, you need to cut your losses and invest in something that shows promise.

Long time trader here…

Delisting isn’t necessary the end of the world, but it could very well be. Depends partly on why it was delisted. Do you know?

{you could PM me the symbol and I could check it out. if you’d like}