So I just sprayed Raid all over my kitchen....

What do I do?! I came home from a weekend trip and grabbed my water cup off the counter. As I did that, I budged the cutting board and suddenly an unending stream of dozens of cockroaches scurried out from under it! They scattered to all corners of my kitchen! I live in a tropical area, so roaches are part of the deal. But this was too much!!! There must have been at least thirty of them!

On instinct I grabbed a can of Raid and sprayed the hell out of the place.

Now what? All of my dishes are coated in Raid. I really don’t have the resources to buy new ones.

But I don’t want to poison myself, obviously.

If I wait a few days, and then give everything a good scrubbing, will it be okay?

I don’t want to sound patronizing, but couldn’t you just wash them in hot soapy water now instead of waiting?

It seems like a good idea to let the volatile elements wear off. Not to mention the kitchen currently smells like a gas chamber and I bet plenty of those roaches are still alive and waiting to get me!

Hell, they are probably all still alive. Roaches are resilient fuckers.

I’ve spotted a few dead ones on my floor. It’s a losing battle- the whole building is full-on infested. But maybe I can convince them to move on to someone else’s apartment for a while.

I suppose it should be noted that the proper way to use cockroach spray is to spray it on the edges of the floor in bathrooms, kitchens and near doorways before you see any buggers and on a regular basis. Do this once ever two weeks or so and right before you’re going to leave for a good long while should help prevent the bastards from making it too far into your dwelling.

Wash the dishes with soapy water then you, can always use a few tablespoons of bleach in the rinse water. Then after that, rinse them again.

As for the roaches, boric acid does work, and well. The thing is it doesn’t kill immediately. You have to let the roaches live and as they run through the boric acid and take it back to their nest, that will kill them. It can take a week to notice a decline, but it will work.

Of course if you have pets or small children you need to keep them away from those.

Wash em.

Then, buy a bug bomb, & set it off.

Fizes the whole apartment at once.

That stuff washes off, and like others have said, you shouldn’t be using it as a direct kill method, you should be spraying it where they travel for the most part.

Boric acid does work, too.

Roaches are filthy insects and deserve their eradication.

I think you are worrying too much. While the active ingredients in Raid do have some toxicity to humans, the effects aren’t great. If you wash your dishes thoroughly, you shouldn’t have problems. And you might as well wash them now rather than waiting for a few days.

The active ingredients in Raid (for roaches) include permethrin and tetramethrin.

Tetramethrin seems to be less toxic than permethrin.

I get roach infestations here in Panama too from time to time. (Fortunately my apartment is high enough up so that its fairly dry so I don’t have them all the time.) If I see roaches around, I remove all my dishes and utensils from the kitchen and then spray. Sometimes, though, I have overlooked something, and then I just wash it.

FWIW, I’ve accidentally sprayed Raid directly into my mouth (though it was the ant and spider formulation) with no noticeable ill effejagjalfaslggjgkldsamga sajsaflaksjrw aa ,

Yes, that’s the ticket. And be sure the windows are open. Farmers live with worse every year.

No need to wait a few days. They can be washed right away.

When I got a nasty infestation of those gross little dudes a few months ago, boric acid and baits killed the revolting little fuckers FAST. People said weeks, but I stopped seeing them in days.

Hi. I live in a 24/7/365 very hot, horribly humid tropical village in the south American equatorial Andes.
I have tried everything with boric acid for about two years. It won’t make a dent in the many different ant species I am privy to host in my horribly large garden, let alone cockroaches, or any kind of spiders. My cats are wonderful at spotting them so I can jump up and spray the heck out of wherever they run out from, which tends to be out of the same corner of the house running towards me. They also come out of the drains and anything water pipe related. I’ve made numerous boric acid + sugar water solutions for both ants and roaches and followed tons of advice I’ve found online, but nothing seems to work for any “rastreros” here. Raid is okay, the best thing is Baygon.
I heartily dislike using such harsh chemicals and I am concerned about my own health as well as my cats’ using this stuff. My health and that of one of my cats has declined markedly since we all moved here from the US.
I continue to search for friendlier naturalistic solutions. Thx. :confused:

:smiley:
I just popped in to give you my sympathies, since the question has mostly been answered. I sometimes think I want to live in a tropical area, but one of the only advantages of the cold Albany weather is all the bugs die. * shudder * Good luck!

Normally I’d feel similarly about Minnesotan winters but it was rough last summer when I had a horrible fruit fly infestation. I RAIDed the hell out of my apartment and didn’t stop to actually read the instructions about use until my tongue started tingling.

And I know it say not to be used as a direct kill method but it’s so damn satisfying to spray the fuckers midflight and see them drop, seizing like the little bastids they are.

If they’re that prevalent you probably need to get some Panty Raid too. Those little buggers find their way into the strangest places.

Traditionally, college age kids are good at that. Although, with the influence of the military in society these days, you might need some commandos just to bare all.

As long as this was resurrected, any thoughts on how to get rid of a fruit fly infestation? No fruit on the counters, flies in the cupboards, drains, and refridge (sometimes).