Wally's daughter wishes you a Happy New Year

Oh, dear. Where shall I begin? So much has happened.

First, a Merry Christmas and Joyous New Year to everyone. Many of you have been in my thoughts recently. Please don’t make me name names. You know who you are.

Mom and I returned from British Columbia a week before Labor Day. What started as a one week visit turned into two months. During that time, my boyfriend Tony dumped me by way of a long distance phone call. I was crying myself to sleep every night anyway. I guess he thought a few more tears wouldn’t make much difference. I’m dating, but I don’t have a steady. Dad would have liked that. I remember Mom saying to Dad, “Would you prefer that your daughter go out with every Tom, Dick and Harry?” Dad said, “Yes. It’s called comparison shopping. Now go wax the fridge or something.” Mom managed a smile, but I fell into helpless laughter.

Dad’s guys didn’t buy the business, after all. It was willed to them for the token sum of twenty-seven dollars. No one knows the significance of this number. Perhaps there isn’t one. Or perhaps it’s in reference to something that happened here on the board. If anyone knows, please tell me. As the executor of the will, Steve told them not to bother about the money. They had a huge parchment certificate made, beautifully framed, with a collage of photos of machines that they had rebuilt over the years. In the center is a large photo of Dad on his cherished motorcycle. (pausing to allow the tears to subside) In big bold letters are the words, “We love you, boss.” It was a last friendly jab at a man they admired. He hated to be called boss. All around the edges are twenty-seven gold plated Loonies. It’s hanging in our living room. I look at it every day.

The inquest into Dad’s death only lasted a day, and no blame was attached to anyone. Dad was installing a transformer in a factory out of town. He was being raised by a forklift to the assigned place on the wall, about 6 meters from the ground. The edge of the skid he was standing on hit a bolt sticking out of the wall. The transformer started to tip and he grabbed it in an attempt to prevent it from falling, lost his balance and fell on top of a conveyor. The skull fracture occured when the back of his head hit the edge of the conveyor. The transformer fell on his chest. I know that many of you wanted to know the details, but I simply could not type these words until now.

We are coping much better than I thought would be possible. Steve is still at Queen’s, I’m at U of T, and Mom got herself a job, of all things. Steve and I were flabbergasted. We certainly don’t need the money. But it seems to have done her a world of good. She’s almost back to her old self again, which is wonderful to behold, because she was a zombie for months.

One last thing before I go. To the newer members who are wondering, “who is this woman, and what is she going on and on about?” please forgive me. This post is in reference to something that occured some months ago, and I don’t blame you for scratching your collective heads.

One last, last thing. When I logged on, I noticed that Coldfire, TVeblen and John Corrado are now moderators. Dad would have been beside himself. He loved you guys.

Again, have a Happy New Year, and may God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

One last, last, last thing. I was going to tell you about the Errant TV Signals, but thankfully I realized in time that I would have butchered it. Only WallyM7 could tell that story.

-Amy-

AMY! ((Hugs)) Thank you for coming back and sharing. Your father is mentioned all the time and humorous postings that are sure to make people laugh are called Wally-esque. He is still missed greatly from here as you have been too!

Hope you had a good Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family!!

Sniff…thank you so much for stopping by, Amy. And please don’t be a stranger here. I’m so glad to hear things are going relatively well - all my best to you this New Years!

Una

{{{{Amy and Family}}}}

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. It’s wonderful to hear that everyone is doing well. Wally was truly blessed for having such an incredible family.

Happy New Year, and take care.
Anjali

Amy, thank for telling us what happened to your dad, I had wondered about it as I’m sure others did.

Glad to see you post here again. We’re here if you need anything :slight_smile:

Best wishes and a Happy New Year for you and your family.

-Mike

Amy, I’ll have you know that I now hate you. Here I was, feeling sorry for myself cause I was sick and had to work tonight, and then you come along with your little memory-fest and make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside I could melt a candle. I’m practically crying over here.

Sadly, I never knew my Dad, but it doesn’t take a Doper to realize just how much he’s influenced everyone on this board. Personally, I try to be like him as much as a I can. I can never do it as well, but I try, and I’m nowhere near alone in doing so.

Thank you for your post, and a Happy New Year to you and your entire family.

Happy new year, Amy!

Amy!

I didn’t know your father long, but I feel I knew him well. I am not sure WHY I felt this way, except that we had a disagreement, made up, and…well, I like to think that he cared for me. I certainly cared for him.

He was bright, witty, ascerbic, and didn’t suffer fools gladly. In short, my kind of man.

I lost my mom three years ago, so I understand in part what you have been going through. I did post my email address at the time, because I thought it might help to talk to someone who had also lost a beloved parent. I offer it again, should you wish an ear or a shoulder. Scotticher@AOL.com.

I am so glad that you are doing as well as you are, and I am relieved to hear from you. I have been concerned. Please take care of yourselves, and love each other. I know that you realize now how precious each day is. I know that you know how wrong it is for us to waste them. Most of us never realize this until it is too late.

Take very good care, Amy. My heart and prayers and love are with you.

Scotti

Wally was well liked and respected by many of the posters here. Thank you for coming back and sharing with us your dad’s generosity and humor. {{{Amy}}}

I wish you and your family a Happy New Year.

hugs

Thanks for posting, hon. Hope you and yours have a Happy New Year.

{{{{Amy and family}}}}

I know posting that was really hard, but thanks for all the updates, Amy. Please know that your dad is still very much a presense on this board, that posters mention him and his triumphs (i.e. the spiderwebs, the hamster :p) all the time, and that he is terribly missed. I didn’t know him IRL, and only talked to him a little OL, but I considered him a friend, and cried for days when I heard. I can only imagine your grief.

Happy Holidays. I hope things only get better and better for the New Year. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear from you, Amy!

Happy New Year to you, too :^)

Amy, sweetheart, you have no idea how glad I am to hear from you! You have never been far from my thoughts, even in all this time, and are often at the front of them. I’ve wondered about you, Steve and your mom, and how you were all doing. And of course I think about your dad all the time. I miss him terribly. I wrote you several times, but I don’t know if you kept your email account when you went to BC. I just wanted you to know that I’d be here for you if you needed that big sister you don’t have.

Thank you very much for your thoughtfulness and kindness in sharing some information about your father’s accident. I know how hard that must have been for you. How I wish our collective prayers could have been heard that day.

Your father touched this board in a way that will never be repeated. Wally had a way of making us all feel like part of his family. For that we will always be gratefeul.

That you thought of us to wish us all a Happy New Year is extraordinarily touching. I wish the same to you and your family, as well as Wally’s extended family - the guys at the shop. They were as dear to him as if they really were family, and I know their loss is great, too.

I still have the same email address (Shayna61@yahoo.com) if you want to write.

Take care, sweetheart, and know you’ll always have a place in my heart.

Love,
Jill
P.S. I created a web page of pictures of Straight Dope posters and it’s dedicated to your father’s memory. His picture is up there, also. If you have any others you wouldn’t mind sharing, I’d love to put them on his page! The People Pages Also, since you’re a member, even if you don’t post often, you can have your picture up, too, if you want!

Thanks Amy, for the update.

Have a happy new year.

It is so good to hear that you and your family are doing ok.

Have a very good New Year.

Jim

{{{{{Amy and family}}}}}

I was a lurker on this board for a long time and I never spoke with your dad, but his stories were a large part of what drew me to this message board. I wish I had gotten to know him. He was so witty and smart, and his posts always made me smile.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I hope you and your family have a very Happy New Year.

Take care,

Amy

amy, thank you so much for posting. we have been wondering how y’all have been doing. you, your mum, and your brother have been in my prayers every night, as well as your dad.

i hope that y’all have a happy new year.

No one showed Amy the Wally smiley that is a small part of his legacy???

:wally

Oh, Amy, I’m glad to see you’re doing OK…lots of people around here were so worried about you and your family.

Glad to hear from you Amy, I know everybody here misses your father, but not as much as you do. Tatertot has told me to tell you that She’s thinking of your father and she miss him loads and loads and she wishes you and your mother and brother all the best in the new year.

Keith