How Can I Get A Frisbee Ring Off My Roof (No Ladders)?

My kid accidentally threw his frisbee ring onto the roof. It’s one of those heavy, flat rings – I think there is actually a ring of metal inside it.

My roof is high and steep. Even if I had a ladder tall enough to get me onto the roof, I don’t know if I’d risk it.

The ring’s been there for a couple of weeks now and I’m getting sick of seeing it staring me in the face like a giant pimple on my house as I pull into the driveway each night. Plus, my kid would like his frisbee ring back. With most missing toys, he forgets about it quickly, but the frisbee ring is right there, announcing its presence every time we’re in the driveway. He is almost pining for it.

High winds today (40 kt) haven’t budged it. It’s not only heavy, it has a very low profile. No frontal area for the wind to push on.

I actually tried tying a bungee cord with a hook on the end to a length of twine, so I could “fish” it off the roof, but succeeded in nothing more than making myself look like a damned fool.

Any ideas here? I really don’t want to pay someone to do this job for me. I don’t mind paying; it’s the asking I dread.

(Now that I’ve thought about it again, I have a very powerful donut-type magnet I got out of a microwave oven. I’m thinking of tying that to a rope and trying to get the ring to stick to it.)

I don’t suppose you have a garden hose with high enough water pressure to blast it off?

Have you tried a water hose? I don’t know what kind of pressure you have but it may be worth a shot

beat to the punch by MsWhatsit

Any chance one of those telescoping golf thingies for retrieving your ball from water traps might work? Probably not long enough…

How about a fishing pole with some weights on the line?

Can you buy a ladder? That way you don’t spend money getting someone else to do this, the frisbee-thing gets off your roof, and you have a ladder for the next [item] on the roof adventure!

Alternatively, borrow a ladder from a friendly neighbour.

What about a roof rake? 'Round here, it’s about the time that the home improvement stores start selling those for clearing snow off the roof. Not sure where you’re located, but it’s worth a try.

Buy one of theseat a hardware store then tape a rake or fishing rod to the end.

If not long enough get one of these

f you have a fishing roduse this

MacGiver idea #837:

1 Ball (soccer, baseball, softball, whatever)
1 roll duct tape
1 50’ length of string / twine / rope

A) using some tape, fashion a cradle or sleeve for the ball that lets you attach the rope.

B) wrap ball with layers of tape STICKY SIDE OUT.

C) throw ball on roof near frisbee

D) if ball gets stuck, pull rope.

E) repeat steps C & D

F) if tape gets covered in grass/dirt/twigs, apply other layer of fresh sticky tape.

This could even turn into an afternoon’s entertainment. Start a betting pool on the time of success…

Buy your kid a new frisbee.

Duh. All you need to do is turn up the heat in your house to about 110 degrees, then lob a hard-boiled egg, probably from an apatosaurus, onto the ring. Just let the house cool down and the egg will be sucked in through the roof, presumably pulling the ring with it. But make sure the egg is really hard-boiled; I don’t think it’s practical to waste too many eggs on this.