Old 09-30-2009, 10:59 AM

Soulpatch - cool or stupid?

So what do you think abut soulpatches - the small patch of beard some guys grow just below their lower lip? And, if you feel strongly one way or the other, why? Are these things still considered "hip" in some circles, or are they on their way out?

I tend to lean pretty strongly towards the "stupid" side. I can imagine that on a very limited number of people - say jazz musicians or artists - they might look cool. But on the vast majority of guys I see wearing them, they simply look as tho the wearer wishes to appear cool.

And they seem to require effort to maintain that far exceeds the result. If a guy has a well-maintained goatee or stache or something, well, it isn't my cup of tea, but I guess I can understand it. But to make a point of shaving carefully every day just to retain the appearance of a dirty chin? I don't get it.

On middle-aged suburban dads, they are simply pitiful.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Not a fan.

I've never been too keen on the idea of facial hair in general. With the occasional exception of some Indiana-Jones-style stubble, which can be nice, and the few-and-far-between artist/jazz musician goatee, I cast my vote for the chronically clean shaven. However, on a continuum, I'd rank the average soul patch as more visually and tactile-ly pleasing than other forms of facial hair grooming. Next would be the goatee (except in cases of aforementioned exception), then the beard, and last mustaches (which are the only thing I have found to be able to dramatically reduce the sex appeal of Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I mean, has anyone ever said, "eh, he's pretty good looking, but damn, his mustache makes him look soooo hawt?") Extreme facial hair variations (like the thing ancient Egyptians seem to have grown out from the chin, and Father-time length beards, etc) I would have to rank on a case-by-case basis to determine their dimensional level of unattractiveness.

To me, the soul patch seemed like a way for post-pubescent males to advertise the fact that they are physically capable of growing facial hair, and presumably, all the secondary sex characteristics that go along with it are in tact. In older men, it kind of strikes me as a form of denial that they are old, i.e., at an age where it would no longer be necessary to make such an advertisement. So, like, thanks for the heads up, but still probably won't be partaking, at least not until it's shaved off.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Not a fan here. I'd like to take a pair of tweezers to Ty Pennington's, actually, and keep plucking until it's all gone.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

There are some guys that the look really works on, and some that look silly with it.

I've never gone along with the idea that certain hairstyles (facial or otherwise) are "in" and others are "out." They just work better on some folks than they do on others.

Caveat: There are *very* few people that can pull off some of those looks.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Stupid. In general, most guys I see with one are the frat boy, popped collar and assorted accoutrement type of guys that just scream "douche!" Some men can pull it off, and pull it off well, but most should leave it alone. Not a fan.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 AM

I'm cool with it if you can pull it off. Not many can. It's all in the complete package - clothing, hair, how you carry yourself.

Me, no problem. I'm a jazz musician. Sported one for a long time when I was more concerned with pimping my 'hep cat' appearance. Now that I'm a little more established and settled down, I said screw it and went with the full beard.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I'm into it. But I was an "alternateen" and grew up staring at various posters of Pearl Jam on my walls...so I like guys who look like those guys, in the 90s.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Stupid. I have never seen a man that looked good with a soul patch either in real life or on TV.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:48 PM

I had a soul patch for a while back in college.

Now I feel kinda stupid for it. But it was okay back then. But now... it's only been 2 years and it's still kinda silly.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:55 PM

I see them now on our business managers and marketing teams. When managers adopt something in an attempt to be "corporate-edgy", then the trend is officially passe.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM

I'm with Wombat (Mods are always right.).

I couldn't give a fuck less what fashion style is in or out. Some styles look better on certain people and some people have a face that allows them to always look good.

A soulpatch takes a specific type of person to look good on.

Looks good on Joe Hachem in my opinion and looks like shit on Howie Mandel. Possibly the lighting or tone of skin. *shrugs*
Old 09-30-2009, 03:01 PM

Oh, my God! That's what those are called? Soul patches? Good grief.

On most men they're stupid. It looks like the guy wearing them missed a spot. Some guys can pull it off, but those are precious few.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Hate it Hate it Hate it. When the Lakers coach, Phil Jackson, is wearing his I hate it so much it distracts me from my general loathing of the Lakers.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM

I vote for stupid. There might be a man that can pull it off, but I have yet to meet him and I doubt I ever will.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Only if it's balanced against an awesome moustache.

See:

Frank Zappa
Timothy Olyphant as Seth Bullock on Deadwood

This is sometimes referred to as an imperial moustache.

Last edited by drastic_quench; 09-30-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post

See:

Frank Zappa...

Good call! An excellent exception to the rule.

Somewhat relatedly, Frank Zappa is the only man with a mustache who I can think of that looks cooler for it. (Except for my grandpa, but that was only because his made him look disturbingly like Saddam Husein. This, in turn, was cool because of the family photos where he's, like, in an intertube or whatever and it looks like I'm hanging out with Saddam Huesien in the Lazy River at Geagua Lake).

But I suppose that's getting away from soulpatches and way too into mustaches...I apologize for the digression.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Do you mean all by themselves, or as some part of a moustache/goatee combo?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM

I hate it. I looks like a teen that just hit puberty trying to grow a beard or a fallen Hitler mustache.

Last edited by Harmonious Discord; 09-30-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravnik View Post
Do you mean all by themselves, or as some part of a moustache/goatee combo?
As a general rule my personal preference is against facial hair which appears "overly groomed." Kinda prefer that guys not make quite so obvious the amount of time and effort they put into grooming.

But what I intended in my OP is the guy who has no facial hair other than a small patch immediately below their lower lip.

I think it is easier to carry off if it is in addition to a stache, goatee, burns, whatever.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Silly by itself. My pals once grew them as part of a cottonball contest (that's what I call them) but shaved them as soon as it was established that they all participated.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbth View Post
Stupid. I have never seen a man that looked good with a soul patch either in real life or on TV.
Me neither. They're kind of horrifying. I like beards (on my husband, anyway) and don't mind many creative sorts of facial hair, but I've never seen a good soul patch.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:44 PM

The only facial hair style that isn't lame is the conquistador.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 PM

My husband has one, and I think it's hot. On him. It takes the right kind of man to pull it off.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Not so much stupid as I find it annoying.

I'm border line OCD, so when ever I see one I just want to scream: "Dude! you missed a spot!" Then promptly hand them a razor.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:34 PM

Eh, I don't care. It looks good on some folks.

Only facial hair I can't stand are mustaches. They creep me out, for some reason.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Usually stupid-looking. That Joe Hachem picture looks stupid to me - it pretty much personifies the douchey guy who wears a silly-looking soulpatch. I think the rule of thumb for facial hair on men should be if the first thing people notice about you is your facial hair, it isn't a good look for you.

Now, regarding mustaches - about the only people who look good in mustaches are firemen.

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 09-30-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 PM

Zappa looked good with a soul patch, but he had a mustache too.

If you're going to grow one, it's important that it not be all sparse and wispy. That just looks bad.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think they can be very cool, very sexy.

I am also really embarrassed by the fact that I think this. (Kind of like my fondness for Billy Idol, back in the day.)

A guy I'm dating casually has one (with a mustache and very short hair) and on him it looks great.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:22 PM

One of my professors had a full beard and mustache with the notable exception of the soul patch area. I don't know if he shaved it or if hair simply refused to grow that close to his lower lip. All I know is that that shiny quarter-sized piece of skin was visible from the back of the auditorium reflecting unholy hairless glory.

Oh, and soul patches, reverse or otherwise are STUPID.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I cannot be bothered to give a shit either way, which is why I have what sort of resembles one...I don't shave that area, and the hair never gets very long. You can't really tell except from certain angles. I agree that tended-and-shaped soul patches look doofy, but then again, I think the same thing about the pencil-thin "face outline" beard that everyone seems to love, so maybe I'm not qualified to comment.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Orzabal View Post
... the pencil-thin "face outline" beard that everyone seems to love
Ughhh! Those are the worst! It's like "I have a round face and a receding chin and I am trying to make you thing that I have a defined, handsome jaw"
It does not work.
Also,a Soul patch is not a great look. Or a great name, for that matter.
I'm cranky tonight!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Bo Diddley pulled off the soul patch. But he was a real blueman.

there's a jacky chan movie where he sports a soul patch and has to shave it for a job.

99% of the time it looks stooopid. most guys will shave them off if you call it a 'ball scratcher'
Old 09-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Billy Ray Cyrus has one and remember how long it took him to lose the mullet after it fell outta style.

What does that tell you?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 AM

Screams "TOOL" to me.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM

They look stupid, and shouldn't they have gone out of style ages ago anyway. (I don't like facial hair in general, especially moustaches.)
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
I am also really embarrassed by the fact that I think this. (Kind of like my fondness for Billy Idol, back in the day.)
Fondness for Billy Idol is nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post

See:

Frank Zappa
Timothy Olyphant as Seth Bullock on Deadwood

Good one! I'll also go with the "a rare guy can carry off a solo soulpatch" qualification as well. Very rare.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFlair View Post
Ughhh! Those are the worst! It's like "I have a round face and a receding chin and I am trying to make you thing that I have a defined, handsome jaw"
It does not work.
Yeah, the only guys who I've seen who can actually carry off that pencil-thin "beard" style are ones with extremely defined jawlines. And even then, just the thought of how much maintenance needs to be done kind of nags at the back of my head.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post

Looks good on Joe Hachem in my opinion and looks like shit on Howie Mandel. Possibly the lighting or tone of skin. *shrugs*
Wow, Howie really has changed recently.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 AM

I've got one, but it goes with a goatee (no moustache).

Anyway, I am tremendously cool and phenomenally good looking, so there.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Count me in the "stupid" crowd. I'm not sure I've ever seen one in real life, actually, but I've seen TV personalities with them. To me, I can never tell whether it's actually hair, or an unfortunate trick of the light. Or if it's clearly hair, it looks like it's there because the guy couldn't reach that spot somehow.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 AM

The first guy I think of with a soulpatch is David Villa. Not sure if he pulls it off, but he doesn't seem like a douchebag, so maybe he's managed to reject the soulpatch's influence.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Oh, come on. You can't look at that hairstyle and tell me anyone not in a New Wave* band who has it isn't a douche.

*or modern Depeche Mode-y techno-rock band
Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM

It can work if it's part of a Van Dyck goatee, like the one in this painting of Prince Frederik Hendrik of Orange. But to pull off that look, you have to dress the part.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post
I dunno. I think the pic in the link for Mandel shows the guy pulling it off at least as well as Hachem does.

Enjoy,
Steven
Old 10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Fondness for Billy Idol is nothing to be ashamed of.
Sorry, I disagree -- he was absolutely my #1 guilty pleasure in the '80s. So sexy -- but so, so cheesy.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM

I think the chin strip by itself is one of the worst choices.

http://z.about.com/d/menshair/1/0/2/0/-/-/chinstrip.jpg
Old 10-01-2009, 05:00 PM

It works if your hair is dark. For those of us with gray facial hair, it just looks like an accident.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:43 PM
BANNED

It's odd because I used to think goatees were odd in the early 90s when they started to come into fashion. Now I look at shows from the 70s and 80s and the mustaches (only) look so out of place.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM

I don't like soul patches- I think they look gross. Then again, I don't like mustaches or sideburns by themselves, either, on a guy. I like the full enchilada (beard, etc.)