The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

President Obama eats his steak medium-well!

I just watched the Air force One special on National Geographic and he was asked by the steward how he wanted his steak and he said medium well.

Clearly this man cannot be trusted.
Advertisements  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Clearly he adjusted his order due to the fact it was airline food.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Clearly he adjusted his order due to the fact it was airline food.
He's just lucky they didn't make him switch flights in Atlanta.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitycrash View Post
I just watched the Air force One special on National Geographic and he was asked by the steward how he wanted his steak and he said medium well.

I am shocked!

Well, maybe it's one of those things where the Secret Service can over-rule the President. Maybe he's not allowed to eat any meat that isn't cooked to USDA standard (i.e. drastically overcooked).
Old 10-04-2009, 11:13 PM

He's lost my vote, that's for damn sure.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Are you sure? I thought he was referring to his burger.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:50 PM

Well, the man also drinks Bud Light.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Those damn centrists and their fence-straddling, medium-well ways of doing things!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

If that's not a high crime or misdemeanor, I'd like to know what is!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Drudge is currently exposing that the Obamas went to a moderately priced local restaurant for their anniversary. For some reason, that's supposed to be scandalous.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
Drudge is currently exposing that the Obamas went to a moderately priced local restaurant for their anniversary. For some reason, that's supposed to be scandalous.
Because they spent too much or didn't spend enough?

Mark me down as another who is suspicious of anyone who requests their meat cooked above medium.

Last edited by ShibbOleth; 10-05-2009 at 12:38 AM..
Old 10-05-2009, 12:43 AM
BANNED

I already accepted that he's got low brow taste when he chose to have a Bud Lite at the beer summit.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:09 AM

Some people have a really sad life when they make a fuss about other people's food choices
Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
I already accepted that he's got low brow taste when he chose to have a Bud Lite at the beer summit.
Jon Stewart had a good bit noting that Obama's beer of choice changes based on whatever the local favorite is.

Quote:
I'll repeat- too much or too little? Sheesh, it makes him seem pretty average and normal to me.

EDIT: Apparently the issue is not the moderate price, but the fact that several soldiers died in Afghanistan today, which means that the President has to go into a period of fasting or something. I quit reading halfway through.

Last edited by appleciders; 10-05-2009 at 02:40 AM..
Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 AM

Is there really an association with the lowbrow and cooking your meat until it doesn't taste like blood? Yet not actually having any burnt taste? Because that's what medium-well means around here.

(Our "lowbrow" refer to it as "wit jest uh liddle pink inut")
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM
BANNED

Steak is supposed to be medium rare. Anything more is overcooked.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM

There is no doubt that he is a communist. I will be voting Republican next time around.

Why would the most powerful man in the free world purposefully ruin a steak? I mean I sure he's getting top quality meats.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Absolutely! I can forgive his choice of beer. Barely.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
(Our "lowbrow" refer to it as "wit jest uh liddle pink inut")
Medium-well is not pink in the middle. Nor is it the correct way to order a steak.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps he's erring on the side of caution: the prez can't afford to be down with a case of salmonella. But the beer? Impeach the bastard!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Absolutely! I can forgive his choice of beer. Barely.
Not me.
My wife is a barbarian, over-cooking her steak like a heathen. So I'm already inured to that particular blasphemy. But the beer? No way. That wasn't beer, it was colored water.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
This is just plain wrong.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
This is just plain wrong.
Well obviously rare would be better in principle but medium rare is perfectly acceptable in all manner of circumstances.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 AM

He had to order it medium well so that no one would call him a pinko.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:18 PM

What a waste of a good piece of beef. Should be against the law.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
Well obviously rare would be better in principle but medium rare is perfectly acceptable in all manner of circumstances.
Thing is, if I want rare, I just go all the way and get some carpaccio or tartare. I think medium-rare is the perfect balance of char and contrasting cooked/raw textures. But, yeah, anything over medium rare is overcooked in my book.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 PM

I order my meat (all of it, steak, burgers, etc) as well done as it can possibly be cooked because I like it that way. It tastes better well done than it does rare IMO. I realize that everyone disagrees with me except, apparently, the President, but I am okay with that.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Thing is, if I want rare, I just go all the way and get some carpaccio or tartare. I think medium-rare is the perfect balance of char and contrasting cooked/raw textures. But, yeah, anything over medium rare is overcooked in my book.
Obama should have just ordered carpaccio. Agreed.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbth View Post
I order my meat (all of it, steak, burgers, etc) as well done as it can possibly be cooked because I like it that way. It tastes better well done than it does rare IMO. I realize that everyone disagrees with me except, apparently, the President, but I am okay with that.
But... you can't taste the meat. Why not just chew on some charcoal?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM

He's from Chicago. It's just possible that he knows more than you do about what lurks on a steak, and maybe needs killin'. Or maybe we have a President who doesn';t like the taste of blood - nothing wrong there!

Or maybe he;s just got a very important and busy job, and doesn;t want to risk losing a day or two to food-borne illness.

I eat mine well-done , when I eat it. I am sick to death of the snobbery of the blood lovers. Ick! Do you really think you are somehow morally superior to me because you like that flavor?!?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
But... you can't taste the meat. Why not just chew on some charcoal?
Because charcoal and well done meat do not taste the same. Also charcoal will kill me if I try to eat it. I just like meat well done and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Why are you all so shocked? Everyone knows that Black folks eat their steaks well done. Rare steaks are SWPL.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
Obama should have just ordered carpaccio. Agreed.
But then he would have been labelled as an elitist again. He's already on double-secret probation for being an arugula eater.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
WretchAwry
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I eat mine well-done , when I eat it. I am sick to death of the snobbery of the blood lovers. Ick! Do you really think you are somehow morally superior to me because you like that flavor?!?
Yeah, pretty much.

(Do I have to add a ?)
Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Why are you all so shocked? Everyone knows that Black folks eat their steaks well done. Rare steaks are SWPL.
I think you're maybe kidding, but this actually does seem to be consistent with my observations. I don't want to get into Autolycus "why don't black people like coffee" territory, but there it is. Actually, that statement would extend more to class division around here. It doesn't work completely neatly, of course, but if I had to generalize, that's what I've observed. I think it partly has to do with quality of meat. Cheap beef is rubbery and awful cooked to lower levels of doneness, in my opinion. I grew up on well-done steaks, and they tasted fine compared to medium rare steaks. But I wasn't much of a steak fan in general. Once I discovered some of the better steaks, like dry-aged meat or prime steaks, then I really understood the appeal of beef, specifically beef cooked to lower levels of doneness. If I'm buying $30+/pound steak, it's a waste of money for me to cook it beyond medium rare.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-05-2009 at 02:41 PM..
Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

If I'm buying $30+/lb steak, shoot me, before my wife does!

I'm a carnivore, but I just can't spend that much on something I'm going to have to cook myself. Eating out is different, of course. I've spent much more than that a pound on well-prepared meat. But not for home-cooking.

In any case, Obama's taste in beer is far worse than his taste in steaks.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Do you really think you are somehow morally superior to me because you like that flavor?!?
In a way, yes, most certainly. You probably know lots of things that none of us know anything about and you can be snobby about those in the reverse. That is just the way people are about certain things that they appreciate.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
If I'm buying $30+/lb steak, shoot me, before my wife does!

I'm a carnivore, but I just can't spend that much on something I'm going to have to cook myself. Eating out is different, of course. I've spent much more than that a pound on well-prepared meat. But not for home-cooking.
I almost never eat steak, but when I do, I splurge and get the bone-in dry-aged prime ribeye. Cooking steak is incredibly easy once you've got it down, and I honestly prefer the steak I make to most anything I'll get at a steakhouse. Granted, it's about the same price with prep at a decent steakhouse (or perhaps a couple bucks a pound more), but at least I don't have to pay $50 for a $15 bottle of wine to go with the steak.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Not a huge fan of Obama but I am liking him more and more now! In the US, I always order medium well because medium here is the Irish equivilent to very rare. Barely pink and I'm happy.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
BANNED

MEDIUM? Typical of Obama always playing to the center
Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

What the steak snobs fail to realize is that well-done steak is tenderer than rare steak. They just don't realize this, because they've eaten all of their steaks prepared by other steak snobs, who mistakenly think that cooking ruins steak, and so when they get an order for a well-done steak, they start with the worst cut of meat they have and sabotage it. But if you take a good piece of meat, and cook it through, you'll get a tenderer end product than you would if you took the same piece of meat and stopped at rare.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Hitler also ate his steak medium well.

Never mind that Hitler was a vegetarian. I heard Rush Limbaugh say it, and that's enough for me.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just keep informing people that my ancestors discovered that putting the dead animal parts over fire makes them taste better, and we've been doing it that way ever since. Their ancestors may have preferred to chew on raw carcass, or perhaps never quite fully understood the whole "fire" thing, and we don't have a problem with that as long as they use their hands when they eat. Preferably with a knife and fork held within beforementioned hands, but we're willing to be flexible in such matters.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What the steak snobs fail to realize is that well-done steak is tenderer than rare steak. They just don't realize this, because they've eaten all of their steaks prepared by other steak snobs, who mistakenly think that cooking ruins steak, and so when they get an order for a well-done steak, they start with the worst cut of meat they have and sabotage it. But if you take a good piece of meat, and cook it through, you'll get a tenderer end product than you would if you took the same piece of meat and stopped at rare.
This sounds plausible to me.

As someone with a somewhat similar childhood background to Obama (lower-income educated white with Central US roots), I can say that we may have similar experiences. I also like my red meat to be a nice light brown color rather than shining pink, although I thought that was just a personal preference. I will eat it other ways, so long as it's not raw (and really rare is raw, I'm sorry), but if I'm ordering it myself, I'll usually err on the side of done. I've been punished for it by the griller before, but do it because I don't really like raw meat.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
BANNED

Overcooking steak dries it out and destroys the flavor. It doesn't matter if it's tender if it's also flavorless and dry.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Why do you and Obama hate America so much?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
It's clear that you know absolutely nothing about food or how to cook it.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Overcooking steak dries it out and destroys the flavor. It doesn't matter if it's tender if it's also flavorless and dry.
Sure, but the point at which "overcooked" happens is somewhere after the point at which "cooked" happens. A well-done steak is still juicy and flavorful.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Does Bud Light actually qualify as a beer?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I don't know how you'd prove this but I think it's measurably wrong. Taste is a matter of, well, taste, but the tenderness should be something you can objectively quantify and by that measure a properly cooked medium rare steak easily surpasses a well done steak every time.

I'm not a steak snob, eat your steak however you prefer. If I'm the one cooking it I'll make it how you want and not bat an eye, and I'm not going to give you a lesser piece of meat because of it either. But I have never, ever had a well done steak that's in any way comparable to medium rare in tenderness. It's not even close. And I'm saying that as somebody that only ate well done steak until maybe 2 years ago.

If my technique is off, I'd be happy to hear how I can do it better. I'm more than happy to eat crow so long as it tastes like steak, but I really don't think this is possible.