The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 AM

Anybody playing Risen?

I am, and want to share experiences and impressions.

I must say I'm enjoying it tremendously. I had some minor problems and irritations in the beginning, especially when I had to get used to the controls.

What I like:
The fighting system. Finally, a game where your opponents don't behave like idiots. After having played Fable and Oblivion I got used to, well, basically hacking my way through. Here, not so much. Opponents shield themselves, parry, try to get you from the side. The wolves, in most games just sword fodder, try to circle you and keep changing their positions.

The world. The two factions you can choose between are definitely not just easily defined good and bad. I'm still unsure if I made the right choice.

The training. This probably irritates a few people, but I like it that you have to pay a more experienced character to gain a point in a skill. Seems more real. People achieving mastery in sword fighting while not even meeting other people used to at least mildly amuse me,

What I don't like.
The bloody mini map. OK, so to have a map you have to get/buy it. Fine. But could new locations be added? If my characters position is visible, then a few locations appearing would not ruin anything.

That's it for now.

I really recommend this game to anyone who likes cRPG. It's engaging, not too easy and not too difficult (on the normal setting, but some games don't even manage that) and just fun.

(For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about:
http://risen.deepsilver.com/blog/pag...verview_en.php )
Advertisements  
Old 10-05-2009, 04:14 AM

What platform are you playing it on?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 AM

PC.

Cheaper than the XBOX version.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM

I played the demo over the weekend and it looks pretty good, but it really does feel like it should have been titled Gothic 4: Risen. I haven't been able to decide yet if that's a good thing or not. The first two Gothics were great and the third abysmal, so hopefully it has more in common with the earlier titles.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM

Unfortunetly, I have one of the video cards on which the game is rather visually fucked, so while technically I have the game I haven't really yet played it too much.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 AM

I'm on Chapter 4, and fairly close to finishing up the game (I think).

I'd give the game a C+ overall, I think. The first couple of chapters were great, but have been virtually no subquests for the last half of the game and the plot has devolved to standard RPG fare ("We need the 5 McGuffins! Go to the 5 temples and then bring them here!").

I was a bit confused about the training system at first, but once I got the hang of it I liked it. There needs to be more skills, however.

I'm very mixed on the fighting. It is certainly more difficult and in-depth than other RPGs, but even now that I'm almost finished with the game I feel like luck plays as great a role as skill in determining how I do in combat. 1-on-1 fights are fun since you can try dodging and getting around your opponents, but much of the late game fights have you facing multiple opponents at the same time so doing anything too creative will get you killed.

I've died. A lot. I'm a fighter with the best armor in the game but only feel a bit safer than I did in the beginning and occasionally get one-shotted by enemies. I can't imagine what it would be like playing as a mage.

But it's been good to play an CRPG. It's been a while.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 AM

So which side did you join? And how do you feel about the choice?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending Elbow View Post
So which side did you join? And how do you feel about the choice?
I joined the Don's men because I wanted to be a fighter. I didn't do any of the monastery quests so can't really comment that much on how evil the Inquisition really is, but certainly the Don hasn't struck me as a particularly worthwhile leader. I guess I'd say that the mages seem like the most sensible group.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM

I've done some Inquisition quests and most of them don't strike me as really evil. The recruits especially just seem to be doing what they think is best, and are not opposed to a burgleweed joint.

You mentioned there are too few skills. What other skills would you like to see? Greater differentiation between weapon skills, or maybe more craft skills?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 AM

I just mentioned the lack of skills because I maxed out all the skills I needed by the middle of chapter 3. I think I have 40 or so learning points right now, but nothing left to be trained in. I have thieving, smithing, and alchemical skills maxed, swords at lvl 10, and strength at 100. I'm never a fan of maxing things out in the middle of the game, since I always like having something to strive for.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 PM

I've playing as a sword-and-board follower of the Don. I'm on chapter two, around level 18 with fully developed thievery/crafting skills, 100 strength, no magic and swords at level 7. I just upgraded from a 'sharp sword' to an 'obsidian bastard sword'. My damage doubled. I can kill ash beasts in two combos now, ogres in one. Packs of black wolves, which used to annoy the hell out of me, are easily dispatched with two hits. I once took out a whole pack with one combo, that felt good.

The world feels very small but lovingly hand-crafted. I prefer small yet detailed worlds like this to large unimaginative worlds like Oblivion's Tamriel.