The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Shig Shig is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
"Edna Cintron" standing in World Trade Center on 9-11

So what's the deal here?I can't seem to find anything anywhere explaining how this is possible.

Her name is said to be Edna Cintron and she's just standing there in the picture and waving in the video. How would she have gotten there? Isn't it hot as hell in there? I wouldn't expect there to be much floor inside to walk across, but I of course really have no idea.

I was hoping for this to be mentioned in the Popular Mechanics myth debunking book, but I just got it and after searching the index, there's nothing in the book about this.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Philster Philster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Well, it answers itself: The spot she was at was not too hot. Fire was deeper inside and affecting/cooking everything above. Being near fresh air, with the conditions inside too hot (esp farther in and up), made it survivable.

Last edited by Philster; 10-06-2009 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Shig Shig is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
Well, it answers itself: The spot she was at was not too hot. Fire was deeper inside and affecting/cooking everything above. Being near fresh air, with the conditions inside too hot (esp farther in and up), made it survivable.
Fair enough. Just thought it was odd that I can generally find some sort of explanation for any "evidence" that the theorists come up with.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Sailboat Sailboat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shig View Post
So what's the deal here?I can't seem to find anything anywhere explaining
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shig View Post
I was hoping for this to be mentioned in the Popular Mechanics myth debunking book, but I just got it and after searching the index, there's nothing in the book about this.
In general, any news item or image that allegedly "proves" something, that you see in only one or a very few places, especially places with a specific agenda, is a hoax or deception.

This isn't always the case, but it's so prevalent that whenever I see something like that, I usually just raise an eyebrow and move on, assuming that if it's real I will hear more about it in other sources soon.

Remember, the 9/11 conspiracy people are wrong even if it turns out the government actually did do it as part of a conspiracy, because they insist on spreading counterfactual lies like "steel cannot melt."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 17,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shig View Post
Her name is said to be Edna Cintron and she's just standing there in the picture and waving in the video. How would she have gotten there? Isn't it hot as hell in there? I wouldn't expect there to be much floor inside to walk across, but I of course really have no idea.
Just a WAG - but she's relatively low in relation to the blaze behind her. Hot air rises. Cold air rushes in to replace that hot air. There might have been a sufficient current of relatively cool air sweeping over her location which enabled her to survive.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Tom Tildrum Tom Tildrum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 9,458
This website shows pictures of the other side of the building (i.e., where the plane came to rest), burning heavily. Basically, what hit Cintron's side of the building kept going.

That site also attaches a picture of Ms. Cintron jumping to her death.

WARNING: Disturbing images.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Shig Shig is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Just a WAG - but she's relatively low in relation to the blaze behind her. Hot air rises. Cold air rushes in to replace that hot air. There might have been a sufficient current of relatively cool air sweeping over her location which enabled her to survive.
I understand that. It's just that the location she's at is where the plain hit. I admittedly know nothing in regards to what it was like in there, it just seems to me that getting to where she's at wouldn't be possible, because a big fuckin' plane hit there haha! She's obviously there though. Just thought maybe someone had more of an explanation or something... I dunno. The damn theorists use this as some sort of BS proof that the fire wasn't hot or something equally retarded. And yes, I actually saw on a site where someone said something along the lines of "if there was fire there, it couldn't have been very hot." HAHAHA. It's like they're saying that there may have been fire there but it wasn't hot enough to hurt somebody.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Bijou Drains Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I guess her choice was jump or burn to death? I assume she looked around and could find no way around the fire to get to the stairs - assuming the stairs were not destroyed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 17,988
If, at the time the plane hit, she happened to be near that outer wall it is possible that the wreckage went over her (perhaps she ducked as well, we'll never know), thus leaving her at the location she was photographed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Colophon Colophon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Well, obviously she wasn't there when the plane hit. She found a way to get to that place (below where the fire was fiercest) afterwards, but before the tower fell. What is so difficult for these conspiracy numbskulls to understand?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.