Acronyms just aren't my thing...

I am forever referring to the Mormon Church as “LSD”. I mean, it’s the right letters, right? (I am very pointedly not thinking of Stephanie Meyers on acid. Nope, never crossed my mind).

Also, IUD’s and IED’s. And IEP’s- synesthetically they’re all more or less the same color.

SDMB is the Straight Dope Message Board. SMBD is Sadism, Masochism, Bondage, and Discipline. I used to do a double take everytime someone used the acronym for the Dope. Although, knowing some of the people who post here…

I am slow today, sorry

Don’t ever join the military.

I remember once we were on the OP and my RTO told me the XO wanted a SITREP and the 20 of our FLOT. We were then to recon with the BC at the TOC. Most Rikki-Tik, or ASAP to you civilians.

The military *loves *acronyms.

You feel AJAMT? That’s a shame.

I’ve always had a suspicion that sometimes my higher ups made things up just to fuck with me.

Heh. They’re not my thing, either. Unfortunately, hubby works for the federal gov’t’. I’m pretty sure they had a DOTUA (Department of Thinking Up Acronyms).

:wink:

I was trying to tell my son about a TV report on those roadside bombs in Iraq, the IUDs

No, when they’re fucking with you they’ll ask you for the repeat fire LAW or the left-handed grenades (very important, as left and right have the safety switch on different sides).
Or maybe insist the RTO yell “HOT MIKE HOT MIKE” when somebody has their shared channel radio turned on with their handset locked to “Transmit”. (Hint: If somebody does this, nobody else can transmit, so yelling will do nothing. But it’s fun to watch a private try to fix a problem he can’t. Especially if that private is a ‘discipline problem’ and trying to gain points. More points subtracted when the NCO knows this, and is just fucking with said private.)

But I digress. My NCO’s, who usually thought I was pretty okay (for an officer), used to teach the soldiers new ways to fuck with me all the time. I bought it about 50% of the time. Sometimes because I wanted to see where the joke was going, but more because I just didn’t see it coming.

Beware of being sent to look for the bacon stretcher. Because nobody messes with the cooks.

So it goes both ways. And if you have a sense of humor, it can be a great team building experinece.

There is an ongoing google first-search-results battle with the Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists.
p.s. MCTSI=module controller and time slot interchanger

Initialisms, actually.

Acronyms are the ones that can be read as a word, like RADAR and SCUBA. When they have to be spelled out, like BBC and FBI and SDMB, they’re initialisms.

I just had to look up the difference between initialisms and acronyms, and I must say that’s the biggest display of pedantry I’ve ever seen in awhile. Several sources (not just wikipedia) say the terms are interchangeable.

Malleus did you ever seen Star Trek IV? There’s a scene where Kirk and Spock are in 1980’s San Fransisco, and Kirk tells the oceanologist that Spock did a little too much LDS. As I was living in Utah the first time I saw that, I guffawed.

IHA* especially TLA**

• I Hate Acronyms
    ** Three Letter Acronyms.

South Domain Minor Bogons

Street Derby Made Bright

Ship Detect Mode Britannic

Yep - as a former Management Consultant, we had to process and deal with business jargon constantly in a way that didn’t make potential clients take it seriously and not burst out laughing (“you need to calc the NPV to understand the BEP on that BPR initiative” Net Present Value, Break-Even Point, Business Process Reengineering…:rolleyes:).

I would typically make references to TLA’s to my clients so they would get a chance to vent about the jargon and let us know what TLA’s they thought made sense to adopt and which they thought were stoopid…

All government work must involve TLAs and FLATs.

(Three Letter Acronyms; Four Letter Acronym Terms. Aren’t you glad you asked?)

@ the OP: Are you interested in studying for an MIS degree to work on MIS design? TIA, TTYL, D&R.

Nope, my dad’s the Trekkie. I’m the one who reads fantasy.

Scuba_Ben- Wikipedia lists 27 entries for MIS, including Michigan International Speedway and the Men In Skirts movement. Please specify.

1. I’m referring to Master of Information Science, though Wikipedia’s entry for Master of International Studies works just as well.

2. I’m referring to Manufacturing Information Systems, though almost any of the entries would work.

There’s a great line from Good Morning, Vietnam!

Hub was in the military for 30 years and that one made me giggle.

In the IT industry examples of the latter (such as SCSI, EISA, and SATA) are ETLAs - Extended Three Letter Acronyms.

I saw Star Trek IV the night it opened – at Trolley Corners in Salt Lake City. It was a huge and enthusiastic audience (the line to get in wenbt around the block). When Shatner said the line about Spock : “I think he did a little too much LDS” – the theater erupted in laughter. You couldn’t hear any dialogue over the noise for the next couple of minutes.