H1N1 and pregnant. Yeah, good times, good times.

I started a thread on Monday about my GP and OB doctors starting me on Tamiflu because they feared I was coming down with H1N1. The virus is fairly prevalent out here, and my doctors’ offices have stopped testing and sending out cultures–they just assume every flu is H1N1 and treat it accordingly. Since I’m 28 weeks pregnant, that meant Tamiflu as soon as possible. Symptoms started Saturday night/Sunday, Tamiflu started Monday.

My OB diagnosed me as “probable swine flu.” It wouldn’t surprise me. It has been confirmed in my area, and as a teacher married to a teacher (at another school), I get the benefit of exposure to the germs of a few hundred kids. From what I’ve read about how this thing is going, it does sound like it (burning in the chest, sore throat, fever, extreme-to-ridiculous fatigue, cough, etc.). It sure as hell is a stubborn SOB that is sticking around a whole lot longer than I’m used to.

I have been knock-down tired and weak all week, with a low grade fever (99.5) on and off throughout the day all week. I’ve had a little more energy today and yesterday, but the cough has gotten worse in the last 24 hours.

I put in a call to my GP and left a voicemail–my OB said on Wednesday if my cough gets worse, to go to the hospital. But–what is defined as “worse”? What is just the illness changing as it runs its course, and what is in fact “worse”? Grummppphhh. I’ve used my inhaler to help with the pressure, but the excruciating coughing fits are killing me.

Baby Boy is fine, kicking mom and apparently wondering WTH that last coughing fit was all about. I’m the uncomfortable one.

I’ve not been spooked or scared at any point in this–it’s all seemed mild to me, but everyone has been a bit more alarmed. My OB got very, very firm with me (professional, but crystal clear) on Wednesday when I talked about wanting to go back to work. He interrupted me: “Absolutely NOT! You are out the rest of this week. That is an order.

So I’ve put my call in to my doctor, and I wait. If I don’t hear from them, I might call my OB. (I rely a little more on my GP for H1N1 advice, since they’re dealing with it more directly.)

I do not approve. Nope. Do NOT approve.

At this point - I’d just go with ‘if it feels worse, then it’s worse.’ Do what you have to in order to keep the both of you well. Call your GP again, or call your OB.

I wish you the best of health, and will be thinking good thoughts for you, for whatever worth that is.

If it turns out you’re a relatively minor case then count your blessings. Meanwhile, obey your doctor’s orders to the letter. Work will be there for you next week, make sure you will be there as well.

My GP called me back and had me come in to be re-evaluated. I had to sit in the waiting room wearing a mask, and the stigma of wearing it was…odd. I heard a woman behind me not so discreetly talking on her cell phone, “Yeah, there’s like people wearing masks in here and stuff. <sarcasm> Ooh, scarrrry! Oh no, SWINE FLU! Yeah, ha ha ha…” When I told hubby, he said I should have taken my mask off and coughed on her. Heh.

Anyway, the good news is my lungs are clear and my blood pulze-ox was excellent. This virus just appears to be changing, as opposed to worsening. (Although, having to do those deep breaths while she listened to my chest SUCKED–every deep breath made me hack after.) She put me on a nebulizer for about 5-10min, and it did make a big difference. Right now, in fact, my energy is much, much better. I feel human and everything. Whee!

I asked about getting the culture to be officially tested for H1N1, and she said she’d take one now for me. ?? This is the same doc who told me last week they’re not testing anymore–I’m now guessing that’s the standard line until they have someone presenting more of the typical symptoms. I asked about my weird fever (never too high, and cyclical–rising and falling every 3 hours or so), and she said they had a little boy in earlier today they suspect has swine flu that had the same thing going on.

As to work, it has to wait for my cough to subside. In the meantime, I’m to use my inhaler every 4-6 hours.

It’ll be nice to have an official diagnosis–if nothing else, it’ll tell me if I still need the vaccination. Whatever this is, it sucks. Boo.

Well, I’m glad things seem to be improving for you!

As for that woman? Bitch. Geez, the medical center I work at has required patients with cough/fever/sneezing to wear a mask in the waiting room and in the exam rooms for a few years now. I wore one during my last orthopedist appointment when I had bronchitis; the staff were grateful, and my clumsy-at-bedside-manner doctor said it looked very stylish. :smiley:

I recently sat in the ER of our local Children’s Hospital with Whatsit Jr. for about six hours while waiting for him to be treated for a fractured elbow. (He’s fine now!) I am very, very glad that the hospital had a policy of requiring everyone who checked in complaining of respiratory symptoms to wear a hospital mask in the waiting room. The ER visit was over a week ago and Whatsit Jr., who is a mild asthmatic, is still, knock on wood, virus-free. Although he does have a lovely royal-blue cast.