Airplane! alternate version jiggling breasts scene

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this weird bit of trivia about the movie Airplane. In a rather well known scene, the plane goes into turbulence and shows a woman wearing a tight white t-shirt, with her breasts jiggling alongside a plate of gelatin. However, I remember having seen a different version on television years ago. The plane goes into turbulence, only this time it features a woman with straight dark hair, wearing what looks like a tight red and yellow striped, short sleeved sweater, and of course, her breasts wiggling. As they shake, the rapid beating of tom drums (or a tympani) is heard, implying that her breasts are making this noise as they wiggle. A few seconds later, a loud wolf whistle is heard. There is no gelatin in this version.

Well, I have couple of questions about this scene. Namely, does anyone know where I can find this clip? But I also wanted to know why two versions of this scene were shot in the first place. And while I like this version better, I thought it was interesting that they at one point, opted to have this one replace the ‘gelatin’ version for television, being as that it is, at least in my opinion, a bit more suggestive. Anyone remember this scene?

I don’t recall your version of that scene in Airplane!, but I know they did almost identical jokes in the sequel (which I have not seen).

Also, there were an uncountable number of very bad comedies released around that time. I wouldn’t be surprised if you have a false memory of which film those particular boobies were featured in.

I only recall the first version of the scene with the gelatine.

Ditto. I saw that movie dozens of times between the theater (with my parents, yet!) and HBO, and I don’t recall any scene like that second one described.

I own both Airplane! movies and can tell you that the yellow & red sweater scene does not appear in either of them.

The first scene you describe, with the Jell-O, was from Airplane!.

Airplane II: The Sequel had a similar scene. During turbulence, we see a man holding a large glass of milk, which sloshes (audibly) during turbulence. The camera then pans right to show us bouncing breasts in a blue t-shirt with the words “Moral Majority” on it. Cut away to Ted Stryker on the radio describing the planes erratic motion, then back to the breasts as they jiggle from side to side.

But no sweater or drums, sorry.

I remember the one your talking about. But I don’t recall no red sweater of any kind. All I remember is the plane goes to shaking and a woman, with very fine breast I might add, goes shaking them in front of the screen. And she’s topless. But I also just got through watching Airplane on Netflix, and I saw the lame version that you was speaking of, where the girl in a white t-shirt is shaking her breast next to a bowel of jello. I must admit…I like the shirtless girl who was shaking her tits far better.

In a film like Airplane! which is pretty much just a series of gags, it’s easy to shoot a whole bunch of different gags to see which plays best. For a movie like this, cutting and pasting alternates isn’t subjected to any great scrutiny in terms of continuity or pacing of the plot.

So, although we don’t yet have confirmation that the scene you remember ever existed, it would not surprise me at all to learn that a whole bunch of gags were filmed but didn’t make the final edit. This cut footage would have been available for the T.V. edit and, again, because the film is just a series of gags the T.V. edit could trade out one racy gag for a tamer one without disturbing the progression of the story.

Although I do agree that, of those two gags, one was seen as racier and the other tame.

That bit is from Airplane II: The Sequel.

. . . and I just realized I am posting to a zombie. luncevest, I won’t be offended if you never recognize my response.

Are you sure? TV Tropes doesn’t mention a topless scene in the sequel, just the original.

I remember it from the original as well. It was pretty memorable too, as I was too young to be seeing nudity and would never have been allowed to watch the movie, but we were at another house where the parents were less strict with what their kids could watch. So two whole families with kids were sitting and watching and “whoa, boobs!”

If I recall correctly, the first Airplane! had the nekkid boobage in the “Assume crash positions” panic shot.
(I have to dig out the CD now.)

The sequel did show women topless as they went through the security scanners.

Mr. Skin confirms that it was in the original Airplane!

http://www.mrskin.com/airplane-nude-scenes-t14346.html
(NSFW thumbnail)

Sounds like maybe it was a scene from Kentucky Fried Movie.
It was written by a Zucker and has the same kind of filming style and had a lot of bouncing boobies.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. The Topless scene was in fact in Airplane!, the woman runs by as part of the sight gag where all the passengers panic to the news of there being no one to fly the plane.

Kentucky Fried Movie is another good film, but yeah, the scene I’m looking for wasn’t in it.

As for deleted scenes from Airplane!, all the ones that were featured in the television version showed up on youtube, but I was disappointed to not find my scene.

On that note, I came across some interesting info regarding the scene. On some other messageboards, someone credited the actress as being former pinup girl Joyce Gibson. While Miss Gibson does appear in the film as an extra, she is not the girl that jiggles in the white shirt. However, Joyce does resemble the woman I saw who was wearing the striped shirt ( straight black hair, buxom) so I don’t know if that little bit of info might help in finding the scene.

But anyway, thanks again for the all the replies!

Holy crap! An OP by a (at the time) new member, who actually comes back two and a half years later to followup. That’s gotta be a first!

P.S. Welcome back, luncevest. Come in and stay awhile!

You know, I never realized that Airplane! was a takeoff on a real film called Zero Hour until I saw ZH on TCM a few days ago. Except for the comedy it’s pretty much the same movie.

Q

Does anyone know where I can see the clip from Airplane!

Here’s the jello scene.

I find it interesting how every time I inquire about this scene ( yeah, been looking for this clip for awhile…kinda sad, haha) I keep getting referred to the topless scene, which always confused me since I figured breasts would jiggle on a plane as a result of turbulence, and not people panicking…

let me explain…

awhile back I asked about this scene on imdb, and someone referred me to a user who recorded and uploaded clips from movies ( some featured from television) suggesting he could find it if he hasn’t already. He responded rather quickly with a clip from a showing of the movie on comedy central. Naturally, I was excpecting a scene of the plane going into turbulence, instead he uploaded the panic scene (’ does anyone know how to fly a plane’)
Of course the topless woman who runs by was cut, and he explained in his message that ‘it seems they cut that version from the movie here as well. sorry’

I always figured the ‘striped shirt version’ would replace the jello scene, not the topless one…

according to a user on imdb this scene was featured:

by Filmdickian (Wed Sep 5 2012 )

They’re showing the standard TV version, the one cleaned up for a TV-14. One of the alternate scenes is right after the sign reads “Panic”, when the passengers go wild and a girl steps briefly in front of the camera and shakes her rack. For TV she’s wearing a bikini top, and as she shakes you can hear some men go “Buh-boom buh-boom buh-boom!”

I think that “buh-boom” sound is the same one the Benevolent Order of Antelopes make in a scene in Stand By Me.
Anyone else see it?