The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 10-25-2009, 02:56 PM
BANNED

Advantages and Disadvantages of changing sex

Is there much point in changing sex? I think I've done everything a man can do now and wouldn't mind having a go at some of the female stuff. What do you think?
Advertisements  
Old 10-25-2009, 03:04 PM

Are you including the costs and risks of major surgery under "disadvantages", or are you assuming an instantaneous transformation whereby the Trannie Fairy waves her wand and makes your penis disappear?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
BANNED

Let's assume instantaneous transformation but with the common results of modern surgery (i.e. imperfect transformation). We can get more detailed in the c/b/a later
Old 10-25-2009, 03:21 PM
BANNED

Well there's the fact that the change is mainly superficial. They remove the parts that make you male but don't give you the parts that would make you female. I believe you have to take hormone supplements for teh rest of your life in order to maintain it.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 AM

What will happen when you've done everything a woman can do?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 AM

It's been several years, but in many places it would still apply.

Years ago I watched a TV program, one of those where they have guests to talk about some issue or other and the public can ask questions. The issue was MtoF transgender; it had originally been intended to be transgender in general but they hadn't gotten any FtoM who wanted to go as a guest. The public was almost completely female.

One of the guests said that he had been an extremely succesful financial manager, but since the surgery, she hadn't even been able to get a job as a receptionist.

A member of the public demanded the microphone (no, she didn't ask for it, it was very much a demand). After obtaining it and thanking the presenter, the following dialogue took place:
Public: tell me, in the fifteen years you worked in finance, advancing very fast by your own words, was there any time you're conscious of when other candidates for a position were female and were disregarded because of being female?
Guest: uh...
Public: please think about it. Take your time.
Guest: well, I can't be sure, but I know that there was one time I was the only male, the other three were women.
Another guest: I know for sure there was at least one time I got chosen over a woman because of that. The boss mentioned it, that he didn't want to risk giving a key position to someone who might get pregnant.
Public: thank you. Well... so now, you're women. You're women who can't get pregnant, but you could adopt. And to many men, specially to the kind of men who wouldn't give a key position to a woman of fertile age, you're freaks. Mind you, to them all women are freaks, but you're even freakier than a "natural-born woman." They can't imagine why would anybody "choose" to become a woman; since they can't understand you, they won't hire you. Welcome to the half of the country that gets passed over for promotions.

And she returned the microphone to the presenter, with the public applauding, 2.guest looking thoughtful and 1.guest stunned.

For reference, over 70% of new businesses being opened in Spain are opened by women who have gotten sick of not being hired or of not being promoted. A frequent conversation among Spanish women is "what kind of business might those of us who are currently employed start if we got fired." Teachers talk of starting day-care centers, engineers of consulting firms. I've been self-employed for two years; my clients wouldn't hire me directly but they're happy to pay me consulting fees.

You might get lucky, you might not.

Last edited by Nava; 10-26-2009 at 05:10 AM..
Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 AM

Well, how "hot" are you going to look as a woman? Are you young, thin, cute? Go for it! Make sure you have gigantic fake tits put in, and you're all set as a successful woman until they start hanging down on your lap. If you're homely and/or middle aged, and you become a woman, you are going to be grossly disappointed. You will be INVISIBLE. (as for jobs, see above. Make sure you have a good job, or are trained in something that will bring in a good income no matter what gender you are!)....I've seen some talk shows where the outcome is a rousing success, great relief they are now the proper sex, ex-wife and kids very accepting, no problems! Then I've seen some pathetic M to F creatures and I cant help but wonder, what were they thinking? What are their lives like now as women? Is it everything they expected? Did having the operation actually fulfill them in some way, despite all the drawbacks?...I am acquainted with one strapping suburban dad of three who fulfilled his life's dream to become a woman. The results were....not pretty...he/she lost everything, of course, house/wife/kids/friends (not all, but 98%). She is now hanging around looking for love at a local truck stop. Very sad outcome, though really what else could she have done, feeling trapped in a man's body, etc.?