The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Jim B. Jim B. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,301
Why Is My Urine Clear?

I don't know how long it has been this way. Probably "at least" most of my adult life. But my urine is rarely yellow. It is typically clear.

Now, to answer the inevitable questions...

No, I do not drink too much liquid. Typically I just have a sip here and there of water. And I do occassionally drink pop. Oh, yes, I do drink alot of coffee. And alcohol in moderation now.

Yes, I do see a doctor periodically for a general check up. He tests my blood and urine. And except for the last time when they found a little protein in my urine (IIRC, ironically when I gave urine that might have been the few times it was yellow). They usually say everything is baseline normal. Well, one of my liver enzymes is a little high. And not that it is related to my question, but I do have colitis--presently under control of course.

BTW, FWIW I do also have an unrelated problem of frequent urination that I have had at least since age 9. And also, a doctor did an ultrasound of my bladder. And he said it was unusually large FWIW.

So why would my urine be clear?

Thank you in advance to all who reply
__________________
"Love takes no less than everything." (from "Love Is", a duet by Vanessa Williams and Brian McKnight)

Last edited by Jim B.; 10-28-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Zsofia Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Well, if by "a lot" of coffee you mean a LOT of coffee, then yeah - it's not like there's no water in coffee, you know?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
I thought clear urine was a good thing. A sign that you're well hydrated and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Ruby Ruby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Mine is typically clear when I've been drinking a lot of fluids. I can't explain why it would be clear if you're not drinking lots of soda/water/etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Telemark Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Hub of the sports world
Posts: 14,805
I'm guessing it means you're properly hydrated. Most people are somewhat underhydrated in their daily lives.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Zsofia Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I've always been told that clear is wrong - you want pale yellow. Clear means your kidneys are working too hard, dark yellow means you need to drink more.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Askance Askance is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
No, I do not drink too much liquid. Typically I just have a sip here and there of water. And I do occassionally drink pop. Oh, yes, I do drink alot of coffee. And alcohol in moderation now.
DingDingDing! You contradict yourself here ... coffee is a diuretic. But you almost certainly have nothing to worry about, drinking somewhat above normal amounts of water-based drinks won't cause you any medical problem, as long as your diet is reasonably healthy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Jormungandr Jormungandr is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Clear urine means you're hydrated. The more yellow in your urine, the more dehydrated you are. As for the enzymes, I have had that as well. Upon a retest, it was gone and my doctor told me it was probably an infection that my body fought off.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Chief Pedant Chief Pedant is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Assuming that your assessment of the color is accurate, your urine is clear because it contains a lower concentration of the bilirubin breakdown products which cause urine to be yellow in the first place.

If your physiology is otherwise normal, this is most typically related to how dilute your urine is. It is not very likely that you have an unusally small amount of bilirubin to be discarded. Since the absolute quantity of urobilins remains the same, the degree to which it colors the urine is usually dependent upon the volume of free water in which it's being diluted.

An easy way to test whether or not you concentrate urine properly is to go without taking in any fluids for a period of time and see if your urine darkens--i.e. becomes a more dense yellow. There are a number of disorders related to water metabolism which cause some people to concentrate urine poorly, either because the kidneys don't respond properly or because the appropriate chemical pathways are impaired or because something else (high blood sugar, e.g.) is causing an osmotic drag that prevents the kidneys from concentrating urine (see, for instance, nephrogenic and central diabetes insipidus).

A lab test for urine includes a specific gravity, so if you get hold of yours, you'll be able to know whether or not that particular sample was very dilute or not. If your urine is sometimes darker than others, it's likely that your perception of how little fluid you take in is incorrect, because it suggests you concentrate urine normally.

Last edited by Chief Pedant; 10-29-2009 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 PM
AskNott AskNott is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Anderson, IN,USA
Posts: 13,983
Urine color is a question that comes up now and then on this message board. In one of those previous times, a member who worked in a medical lab posted to say that he had seen and tested thousands of urine samples from healthy and ill patients. He said the depth of color is not a sign of good or bad health. Healthy people's urine ranged from clear to very dark. Don't fret about the color, he said.

Some multivitamin pills temporarily darken the urine, and that's also nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Heart of Dorkness Heart of Dorkness is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
IANAD, and this isn't even what you were asking, but I'm a little surprised that you have colitis and yet drink a lot of coffee. I would think it would aggravate the problem. Same with alcohol.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Si Amigo Si Amigo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 3,113
I once failed a drug test due to my urine being clear and not up to body temperature, they refused to test it for that reason. I got a lawyer and they ran the test again with a doctor present with me in the bathroom. Same result, but the doctor told them that he watched it come out of me and that he would testify that it was a valid urine sample, that urine did not need to be a certain color or temperature to be urine. I got the job.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
salinqmind salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
I heard a medical show on the radio and the doctor said in general as long as there is no blood in your urine, you're OK.

Mine was day-glo chartreuse for the longest time, but I wasn't eating hardly anything because of stress and anxiety.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
billfish678 billfish678 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Dude,

If you are a Scientologist, you finally made it !
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
rekkah rekkah is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
An easy way to test whether or not you concentrate urine properly is to go without taking in any fluids for a period of time and see if your urine darkens--i.e. becomes a more dense yellow.
This should be tried with caution, since if the person does have an inability to concentrate urine they will become dehydrated very quickly. When it's done as part of medical testing for conditions like Diabetes Insipidus, it's done under careful supervision and the patient is weighed every hour to check they aren't losing fluid at a dangerous rate.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-31-2009, 12:55 PM
SmackFu SmackFu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
Same result, but the doctor told them that he watched it come out of me and that he would testify that it was a valid urine sample, that urine did not need to be a certain color or temperature to be urine. I got the job.
I don't think they reject clear urine because it's not urine, but because it's a sign that you are drinking a lot to dilute your urine and decrease your drug levels.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 PM
gutterflower gutterflower is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
You say you drink a lot of coffee, as some have said, coffee is a diuretic so you'll be urinating a lot. However, as you don't drink much water during the day, I would wonder that your kidneys would try to conserve the little water it gets by concentrating the urine (thus making it more yellow).

Normal urine is not supposed to be clear (as in, transparent etc.). It's supposed to be pale yellow. That shows your kidneys have the ability to concentrate urine. I would suggest you go off of coffee, tea, soda pop (i'm guessing that's what you meant by "pop"?) and alcohol (all of which are diuretics) to see if this makes any difference in the appearance of your urine. Maybe for a week for best results. This would help determine whether the problem is any of those things you were drinking or if there's a problem with the kidney function etc. I would then definitely share the results with your doctor.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 54,076
Me, I'm wondering how Si Amigo could possibly have urine that was below body temperature. I can't think of any conceivable biological mechanism that would cool it, in humans or any other creature.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Shmendrik Shmendrik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Me, I'm wondering how Si Amigo could possibly have urine that was below body temperature. I can't think of any conceivable biological mechanism that would cool it, in humans or any other creature.
Uncorrected bladder exstrophy should do it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 48,171
When you say 'Bud'
You say a beer that makes your urine oh, so clear!


Or something like that. I'll have to dig out the New Wave Theatre DVDs...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 22,584
By the way . . . you guys are aware that "clear" and "colorless" are not the same thing, right? (Chemistry 101)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 AM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 35,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askance View Post
DingDingDing! You contradict yourself here ... coffee is a diuretic. But you almost certainly have nothing to worry about, drinking somewhat above normal amounts of water-based drinks won't cause you any medical problem, as long as your diet is reasonably healthy.
Actually, coffee is not a diuretic. That's been disproven. People think it is because of the water in it; you overload on water and it seems like a diuretic. When people drank equal amounts of coffee vs. other liquids, there was negligible difference in urine output.

But the coffee could easily explain the OP.
__________________
Author of Staroamer's Fate and Syron's Fate, now back in print.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Canadjun Canadjun is offline
Non sum ergo non cogito
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
By the way . . . you guys are aware that "clear" and "colorless" are not the same thing, right? (Chemistry 101)
Finally somebody noticed!

If your urine isn't clear then you DO have a problem, regardless of whether it is colourless.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM
naita naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Me, I'm wondering how Si Amigo could possibly have urine that was below body temperature. I can't think of any conceivable biological mechanism that would cool it, in humans or any other creature.
I bet zombies have urine that's below body temperature, at least below normal human body temperature.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 PM
robardin robardin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
Dude,

If you are a Scientologist, you finally made it !
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Brown Eyed Girl Brown Eyed Girl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Actually, coffee is not a diuretic. That's been disproven. People think it is because of the water in it; you overload on water and it seems like a diuretic. When people drank equal amounts of coffee vs. other liquids, there was negligible difference in urine output.

But the coffee could easily explain the OP.
This myth won't seem to die.

Although I think current wisdom is that caffeine is possibly a mild diuretic in those who do not regularly ingest caffeine, but the body builds up a tolerance to consistent exposure and any diuretic effect is negated.
Cite.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.