The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 10-30-2009, 02:45 AM

Torchlight

I am addicted to this Diablo 2 inspired dungeon crawler now. (Gameplay video) You can find the demo at the official website.

It's by the group that was doing Mythos before Flagship sunk. And I am quite pleasantly surprised by that they could put out a game so fast (I think they re-code it with Ogre3D). It's only SP, but it's addicting as hell. You get to wield a pistol and a sword in one hand, and could transform your dog (or cat) into different monsters. Plus there is a map/class/skill editor.

If you are looking for a D2-style game to tide you over till D3 comes, guess you can give Torchlight a try (though I got to say I am spoiled for choice between Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Torchlight)
Advertisements  
Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

I specifically love the pet, it's a throwback to old roguelikes. That said, I have no time to play this.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 AM

I was thinking about downloading this last night; it looks really cool. My hesitation is that I don't know how it will run on my laptop and I don't want to lose $20 if my laptop can't keep up.

What is the copy protection like? Does it use a license key or does it connect with their server?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveMike View Post
I was thinking about downloading this last night; it looks really cool. My hesitation is that I don't know how it will run on my laptop and I don't want to lose $20 if my laptop can't keep up.

What is the copy protection like? Does it use a license key or does it connect with their server?
If you download from their site, it uses their own license key. You can get it from Steam, Direct2Drive and etc, but those sites would use their own DRM.

I notice a netbook options in the page. According to FAQ, it can even run on netbooks. But definitely on lower settings.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChop View Post
If you download from their site, it uses their own license key. You can get it from Steam, Direct2Drive and etc, but those sites would use their own DRM.
Thanks Chop. I also found a few more details in this forum post.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:32 PM

I bought this yesterday from Steam, and have really been enjoying it. It really is just like Diablo 2.5.

I especially like how you can load your pet up with items and send him back to town to sell them without you having to make the trip yourself.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
I bought this yesterday from Steam, and have really been enjoying it. It really is just like Diablo 2.5.
I got it today and I really enjoy it as well. I completely agree with the 2.5 comment. I like the tweaks to the UI in particular.

I also like the shrines that enchant one of your items. It let's you play with the weapons that you want instead of just the weapons that you find. I also like that you can recover gems at the cost of an item. Now I don't hesitate to use gems instead of saving them up for later.

The pets and the fish food are a cool dynamic. And I like the twist on traditional fantasy by adding technology (guns, robots, etc.).

Quote:
I especially like how you can load your pet up with items and send him back to town to sell them without you having to make the trip yourself.
How do you do this? I got the tip, but I didn't see how to issue the command. It is a really cool feature that I would like to use.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM

There is a button on the health display thing. The top right I think.

Last edited by Palooka; 10-30-2009 at 10:02 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:

I also like to load him up with spells. Now I have a fireball throwing, swords summoning pet dog. Woof! **BURN**
Old 10-31-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
There is a button on the health display thing. The top right I think.
Thanks Palooka. I forgot about that pet-display thing.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

One of the devs, I am told, has created a mod that allows the pet to spawn bee swarms when it attacks.

That's right. A dog with bees in its mouth and when it barks it shoots bees at you.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:26 AM

This is a pretty fun game so far. I wish there was more pet customization though.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
That's right. A dog with bees in its mouth and when it barks it shoots bees at you.
Excellent...
Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Downloaded and played the demo off Steam. This game is so similar to Fate that I went and checked to see if it was made by the same company. It's not, but the games are similar enough that I'm surprised there's not a lawsuit in the works. Doing some research, I see that one of the developers worked on Fate, and another came from Flagship studios (who developed the never-released Mythos). You got the single town with its huge dungeon, a pet dog or cat that can be fed fish to change it into something else, the very simplified stats and ability screen, etc, etc.

Is this a bad thing? Not at all, Fate was a fun little game, and Torchlight (at least from what I've seen in the demo), does a good job of addressing some of the flaws that Fate had. For instance, Fate had a lot of different spells, but no real attack skills or moves, the warrior I played in Torchlight had a skill tree with some decent moves in it. Pets seem much more useful and less weak than in Fate (where it was hard to keep a pet alive). I got a couple portals open to other areas, so you're not stuck in the same dungeon for the duration. From what a couple reviews said, you do get access to an "endless dungeon" at some point, so if that was a big appeal of Fate, it's in here also.

I might pick this up at some point, the demo was fun. The cartoony style might be a turn-off for some, but didn't bother me. The game seems like a nice little fast-paced dungeon crawler. I wouldn't go so far as to call it Diablo 2.5, it doesn't seem to have the depth that D2 had, but definitely Fate 2 comparisons wouldn't be out of line. Or maybe Fate 3.5, since Fate is up to its second expansion (I haven't played either of them, just the original Fate). One question for the others that have played it, how do you open the pet inventory?

Quote:

I did notice that there's an option to run in "Netbook mode", so I'm pretty sure your laptop will run it fine. The full game is available on Steam, so you wouldn't need a license key, but you would need to connect to Steam. The game is available elsewhere, but I'm not sure what, if any, copy protection other versions use.

Last edited by Apocalypso; 11-03-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
One question for the others that have played it, how do you open the pet inventory?
Press 'P'
Old 11-04-2009, 03:55 PM

I am really digging this game. I hope D3 is as fun.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 PM

I picked this one up last night, I'm having fun with it.

What I really need is a good manual (game manual is pretty basic), a good FAQ (none on GameFaqs yet) or a good Torchlight wiki (one exists, but it is skeletal).

Example - I found a huge damage bow for my Vanquisher (well, for my tiny lvl 4). But I also have two medium damage pistols. How is dual-wield damage calculated? How do weapon speeds play? Faster in main-hand or off-hand?

Also, the send pet back to town to sell junk might be the best videogame idea of 2009. God bless it.

Last edited by GameHat; 11-04-2009 at 08:30 PM..
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHat View Post
I picked this one up last night, I'm having fun with it.

What I really need is a good manual (game manual is pretty basic), a good FAQ (none on GameFaqs yet) or a good Torchlight wiki (one exists, but it is skeletal).

Example - I found a huge damage bow for my Vanquisher (well, for my tiny lvl 4). But I also have two medium damage pistols. How is dual-wield damage calculated? How do weapon speeds play? Faster in main-hand or off-hand?

Also, the send pet back to town to sell junk might be the best videogame idea of 2009. God bless it.
There's awfully little data for dual wield, but it seems that it uses the DPS of each weapon, so if you don't boost your Dual Wield passive skill it's kind of useless. But if you boost Dual Wield, plus your regular Ranged Mastery, you can do crazy damage.

And I like to wield a sword with a pistol.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM

I got the demo from Steam first, and I bought it last night. The other brilliant thing is the Shared Stash. Holy crap is that great. If you're an alt-o-holic like me, you constantly want to move gear from one toon to another. D2 made this really difficult for single players, but this Shared Stash thing is sweet.

This game is short on instructions and such though. If you have a sword and a pistol it seems like you shoot the pistol only at range and attack with the sword otherwise. It's not clear at all whether either of the weps get a damage nerf based on which hand they're in, though.

-MDSL
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 AM

I am really enjoying this game -- probably a little too much. From what I have noticed as well as read, it gets noticeably more difficult after you complete the storyline and move on to the crypts.

The shared stash and sending your pet to town are great ideas. I also like the fame concept.

I wonder why they kept the identify concept? It is not as much of a pain as in D2, but I still think it is unnecessary.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
That's it. I'm getting this tonight - work, chili preparation, wall sanding/painting be damned.

Is there multipartying?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Is there multipartying?
Single player only.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I am really enjoying this game -- probably a little too much. From what I have noticed as well as read, it gets noticeably more difficult after you complete the storyline and move on to the crypts.

The shared stash and sending your pet to town are great ideas. I also like the fame concept.

I wonder why they kept the identify concept? It is not as much of a pain as in D2, but I still think it is unnecessary.
Yah, and this is a big contention among the forum there. I wish there is an identify all generic knowledge dispensing NPC
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChop View Post
Yah, and this is a big contention among the forum there. I wish there is an identify all generic knowledge dispensing NPC
I missed the discussion on the forums. The 'identify all' NPC wouldn't be much use when you send your pet back to town though (unless it stopped there automatically). My warrior has the identify spell in one of his spell slots. I use it to identify all the items that I pick up and I don't even think it uses mana to cast. It is more convenient than collecting scrolls, but I doubt I will want to waste a spell slot when I am playing as a spell-caster.

One of the things I like about this game is that they eliminated or de-emphasized a lot of the drudgery in D2.
* Everything in town is centrally located; you don't have to run all over town to get to the right vendor.
* Your pet can automate selling items.
* The transmute gives you 'change'.
* The stamina attribute is eliminated, so no more waiting in an empty dungeon for it to recharge just so you can get to the next stairs down.
* Health and mana potions in your inventory are 'chained'.
* All items in the inventory take the same space.
* Gold is automatically picked up when you run near it.

But with all these usablity improvements, you still have to identify your magic items. Which means you need to keep a spell or collect scrolls and then you have to manually click on each item. This doesn't really seem to add anything to the game play. In the very early levels of D2, you can't identify everything you have. You need to tradeoff between spending gold on identify scrolls or using it to buy equipment. After you get the 'identify all' NPC, the identify dynamic becomes useless (and time consuming). But I don't even remember a point during Torchlight where I could not identify an item. This makes the identify concept even more useless. I wonder why they kept it in after all of the other improvements they added.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I wonder why they kept it in after all of the other improvements they added.
Travis Baldree (the inventor of Fate, and a dev on Torchlight), is pretty active on the Torchlight forums. Post a suggestion about this, I'm sure it will be seen, and perhaps they'll give it some consideration. FWIW, I agree with you, and find identify mechanics as annoying as repair mechanics; sure, it's more "realistic" and adds a bit of a money sink, but the only time that's really a factor is early in the game when characters are struggling with cash.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words on the Interweb View Post
Travis Baldree (the inventor of Fate, and a dev on Torchlight), is pretty active on the Torchlight forums. Post a suggestion about this, I'm sure it will be seen, and perhaps they'll give it some consideration. FWIW, I agree with you, and find identify mechanics as annoying as repair mechanics; sure, it's more "realistic" and adds a bit of a money sink, but the only time that's really a factor is early in the game when characters are struggling with cash.
I poked around on the forums to see if this suggestion/question was raised. It seems that the Identify scroll is rare (or at least rare for some people). I found it right away, so I assumed it was common. I guess this changes the dynamic a bit.

I'll take your suggestion and ask on the TL forums. I might wait until the patch comes out first though.

As a side note: It seems to be the consensus that Normal difficulty is too easy. In fact, the FAQ suggests players of similar games start on Hard difficulty.

Last edited by CaveMike; 11-05-2009 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: -wordy
Old 11-14-2009, 08:32 PM

I played about an hour of the demo tonight. The controls seem very "floaty" to me. Could be I have a slow computer - what do I need to check?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 PM

There aren't any computers too slow for Torchlight. It must be something else.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 PM

So are the controls naturally floaty? What's the response time when you're the Arbiter (the female character) when you tell her to fire at something (with her beginner bow)?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Note that weapons have short range in Torchlight, no more than half a screen when zoomed out, so if you are pressing Shift plus mouse click, and it appears that you are not hitting, you may be out of range. Try clicking on the mob itself.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
Downloaded and played the demo off Steam. This game is so similar to Fate that I went and checked to see if it was made by the same company. It's not, but the games are similar enough that I'm surprised there's not a lawsuit in the works. Doing some research, I see that one of the developers worked on Fate, and another came from Flagship studios (who developed the never-released Mythos). You got the single town with its huge dungeon, a pet dog or cat that can be fed fish to change it into something else, the very simplified stats and ability screen, etc, etc.
There's not likely to be a lawsuit, since Travis Baldree pretty much single-handedly did Fate, and is the lead designer on Torchlight. I think he's okay with re-using his own ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchlight

We spent $60 on Torchlight the week it came out - I picked up the demo off Steam on release day and bought it the next day, and then Dangerosa and our son bought it over the next couple of days. It's a really fun game.

For the Mac side, be aware that it does not run in Parallels. There is a Mac OS port planned for 2010, which will no doubt cause me to spend another $20 on the game.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4 View Post
For the Mac side, be aware that it does not run in Parallels. There is a Mac OS port planned for 2010, which will no doubt cause me to spend another $20 on the game.
It does, however, run in VMWare Fusion Desktop 3 - the framerate is a little choppy, but it's quite playable. (Admittedly, I've only tested this on a Mac Pro with a fairly beefy set of settings on the VM). I turned on the "netbook mode" and that helped a lot. But I'd still say it's a much better experience in Bootcamp.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM

I actually think my PC is a little wimpy for it. I often hit a hotkey to activate a spell and nothing will happen - and not one with a cooldown, either. The missed button presses and mouseclicks are a little annoying.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
I actually think my PC is a little wimpy for it. I often hit a hotkey to activate a spell and nothing will happen - and not one with a cooldown, either. The missed button presses and mouseclicks are a little annoying.
I don't think it's the PC that's the problem. I have that issue as well, and my computers are well able to handle the game. I think that sometimes the button presses just don't register for some reason. Mouse clicks don't seem to have problems, but the hot keys do.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Darn Snake Legs View Post
I don't think it's the PC that's the problem. I have that issue as well, and my computers are well able to handle the game. I think that sometimes the button presses just don't register for some reason. Mouse clicks don't seem to have problems, but the hot keys do.
Well, I also get a lot of herky-jerky performance out of the game, especially on the lava levels. I could probably turn down the graphics..
Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Darn Snake Legs View Post
That's exactly what I'm getting. It makes being a ranged fighter a pain - "No, I don't want you to wade into battle! I want you to rain death from above on them!" I dropped my resolution down a little, which helped slightly.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
Well, I also get a lot of herky-jerky performance out of the game, especially on the lava levels. I could probably turn down the graphics..
I started playing Torchlight on an old computer (one from around 2000, but with a newer graphics card) and I noticed this issue as well. I even got it when pressing 'i' or 'p' for the inventories -- I would have to hold them down to get the screens to open. When I would first start playing, I would not have this problem, but it would build over time.

That said, these issues occurred with the first released version and I have not used that computer since the patches were released. I know they have many performance improvements since then and the issue could be resolved by now. The fixes for the slow loading times should help with performance in general, I think. If you haven't already, make sure you have the latest version.

Last edited by CaveMike; 11-16-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
That said, these issues occurred with the first released version and I have not used that computer since the patches were released. I know they have many performance improvements since then and the issue could be resolved by now. The fixes for the slow loading times should help with performance in general, I think. If you haven't already, make sure you have the latest version.
I wonder if the demo is the first version, and they haven't upgraded it. That would explain a lot. The load screens are painful.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the demo is the first version, and they haven't upgraded it. That would explain a lot. The load screens are painful.
Oh, you did say the demo version. Did you get the demo through Steam? Or Runic? Steam has had a demo since the first version, but Runic didn't release a demo until the patch. That implies that the Runic demo is not the first version. You should be able to see the version in the lower-right corner of the screen at startup.

I think the load screens got a lot better with the patched version though. If they are still painful for you, then who knows...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm getting. It makes being a ranged fighter a pain - "No, I don't want you to wade into battle! I want you to rain death from above on them!" I dropped my resolution down a little, which helped slightly.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's also sometimes hard to click on fast moving mobs. If you want to stay in one place you can hold the shift key and the toon will do whatever it is you tell them to do, but they won't move from where they're standing.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I started playing Torchlight on an old computer (one from around 2000, but with a newer graphics card) and I noticed this issue as well. I even got it when pressing 'i' or 'p' for the inventories -- I would have to hold them down to get the screens to open. When I would first start playing, I would not have this problem, but it would build over time.

I've got 1.12 or 1.13.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Alright, you sons of bitches have got me playing this, too. So far, I'm really liking it. I think they could use some clarification on how dual-wielding works, though - I went looking through their forums, and found a post by one of the devs saying they weren't even sure anymore how things stacked. Yeesh. Anyways, as far as I can tell, the only benefits from dual-wielding are the dual-wielding skill and getting two item's bonuses. And you get the bonus even if you're wielding a sword and a pistol. Which is weird. Also, I think it's a little silly that my strength-pumping melee character still does more damage with a brace of pistols.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
Anyways, as far as I can tell, the only benefits from dual-wielding are the dual-wielding skill and getting two item's bonuses. And you get the bonus even if you're wielding a sword and a pistol. Which is weird. Also, I think it's a little silly that my strength-pumping melee character still does more damage with a brace of pistols.
I am confused by how it works too. Are you saying that dual-wielding works like this:

1) Take the bonuses from second weapon and add it to the first.
2) Then apply the bonus from the dual-wielding skill.
3) Resolve combat using this virtual super weapon.

Is that how it works?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 PM

I played the demo today and actually ended up buying it with 40 minutes of free "demo" time left. Fun little game but it is a little too easy on the normal difficulty.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 AM

It looks interesting, but I'm somewhat disappointed at the lack of multiplayer support, as well as(though I'm not surprised) the lack of wasd movement control.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I am confused by how it works too. Are you saying that dual-wielding works like this:

1) Take the bonuses from second weapon and add it to the first.
2) Then apply the bonus from the dual-wielding skill.
3) Resolve combat using this virtual super weapon.

Is that how it works?
Pretty much. I'm not sure how base damage or attack speed is figured out, or where in the process the skill damage bonus fits in. But, I've got one weapon with a life-stealing bonus, and I get it every time I attack, regardless of which hand it shows hitting. On the other hand, I attack just as often with two weapons as with one, so you don't get more attacks by dual-wielding. It kind of diminishes the difference between weapon-and-shield, two-handed-weapon, and dual-wielding.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM

This game needs a manual badly.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
Pretty much. I'm not sure how base damage or attack speed is figured out, or where in the process the skill damage bonus fits in. But, I've got one weapon with a life-stealing bonus, and I get it every time I attack, regardless of which hand it shows hitting. On the other hand, I attack just as often with two weapons as with one, so you don't get more attacks by dual-wielding. It kind of diminishes the difference between weapon-and-shield, two-handed-weapon, and dual-wielding.
Thanks runcible spoon; that helps a lot. I installed a mod that creates a pair of practice dummies to experiment with weapon configurations.

One cool feature that I finally noticed is the Journal page. It has a lot of cool runtime stats for your player (how many chests you've opend, number of steps you have taken, levels explored, etc.).

I started using all of the fish that I have caught. I fed one to my dog in the middle of battle and then forgot about it. At the end of the battle, while picking up loot, I noticed that I had triggered a mimic (the treasure chest monster). I kept chasing it around, trying to kill it, and wondering why I couldn't hit it. It wasn't until I noticed my dog was gone that I figured out that the fish I gave her turned her into the mimic.

I also fed her a tunnelfish and turned her into one of those monsters that shot off a ton of lightning. However, after the 120 seconds were up, she didn't change back. She was permanently stuck as the monster -- even on the saved game page.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM

Just got the game yesterday, it's ridiculously fun. Has anyone found any pistols faster than average attack speed or is that the best you can get? I want to dual wield pistols John Woo-style but I've only found one average attack pistol and using a slow pistol with it makes both shoot at slow. I wish the rifles weren't so huge, I feel kind of silly using them. They're also damn slow.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with hotkey problems, I was afraid it was my laptop. As for permanently changing your pet, I've had that happen too. If you feed them something else then after the duration is over they'll be back to normal. You can also feed them dogfish and catfish to make them change species permanently but I think when they do a temporary transformation they still revert back to original, the species change is basically another transformation but one with no duration.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
Just got the game yesterday, it's ridiculously fun. Has anyone found any pistols faster than average attack speed or is that the best you can get? I want to dual wield pistols John Woo-style but I've only found one average attack pistol and using a slow pistol with it makes both shoot at slow. I wish the rifles weren't so huge, I feel kind of silly using them. They're also damn slow.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with hotkey problems, I was afraid it was my laptop. As for permanently changing your pet, I've had that happen too. If you feed them something else then after the duration is over they'll be back to normal. You can also feed them dogfish and catfish to make them change species permanently but I think when they do a temporary transformation they still revert back to original, the species change is basically another transformation but one with no duration.
I'm in the lower 30s but I've only seen one yellow texted pistol. So I'm not sure how well that will go for you. but you can give it a try.