The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Are fire engines universally red?

What it said. I remember the first time I went to Germany and realised that police cars could be green and white instead of the ultramarine and white that I was used to. Red is the easiest colour to notice and react to, but on the other hand, who wouldn't react to a huge fire engine with ladders on the roof, regardless if its colour?

So if anyone lives in a country where fire engines aren't red, please raise your hand.
Advertisements  
Old 10-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Most fire engines I've seen are red, but another popular colour is a very bright yellow-green. ('Neon green'?) I've also seen at least one white one.

EDIT: Here's a green one from Miami.

And a white one.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 10-31-2009 at 01:43 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

I am not sure where you are but yellow or lime-yellow fire trucks are fairly common in the U.S. Red is still most popular because of tradition but studies show that a yellow color is safer and more visible for night emergencies.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c9ea851cee2c5b
Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Does Antarctica count as a country? (not that I live there)

Green or yellow in the UK - I'm guessing there's a rainbow of non reds in that last link.

eta - I was right

Last edited by Tapioca Dextrin; 10-31-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Here's a yellow one.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:53 PM

Our are mostly yellow. They are more visible, apparently.

We do still have some red ones though.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:58 PM
BANNED

There's an old joke

Why are fire engines red?

Because there are 12" in a foot

A foot is also a ruler

Queen Elizabeth is a ruler

Queen Elizabeth is also a ship

Ships sail the seas

There's fish in the seas

Fish have finns

The Finns fought the Russians

And that's why fire engines are red

Because they are always rushin'

Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Dextrin View Post
San Francisco is looking to switch to a fleet of pink fire trucks as well because of cost savings. They won't need flashing lights and a siren. Gay firemen will simply sit on top and wave their arms around like a rodeo cowboy and yell "Whoo, Whoo!".
Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

The school color for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is light blue -- commonly known as "Carolina Blue". Both the town and the university fire engines are this color. Light blue UNC firetruck.

Last edited by whitetho; 10-31-2009 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: with white trim...
Old 10-31-2009, 02:58 PM

It was a big deal when our town bought a new fire engine. It was yellow, so it was nicknamed "Yellow Bird", since that Caribbean-themed song was popular at the time.

But most of the fire engines I've seen have, in fact, been red.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM

Here in my little town in New Hampshire the three or so fire engines are all white.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:29 PM

I've seen them at conventions in New England in numerous shades of red, white, blue, yellow, orange and "slime green". At one time in the 60's there was a study that said the "slime green" was safer and more visible. In the early to mid 90's that study was found to be incorrect, red was more universally recognized and accepted. Don't have a cite handy but many cities that had adopted "slime" are changing back to red as they replace apparatus.

Recently some authority came up with the massive reflective diagonal striping that is beginning to appear on the rear of ambulances and fire trucks in the US.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
The school color for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is light blue -- commonly known as "Carolina Blue". Both the town and the university fire engines are this color. Light blue UNC firetruck.
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

UncleBill
Duke, 1988
Old 10-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

*sigh*

When will we get it together? Fire engines should be mauve.

Silly backwater planet.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:20 PM

Denver has white fire trucks.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
When will we get it together? Fire engines should be mauve.

Silly backwater planet.
Right after we rename Belgium to something less rude. </derail>
Old 10-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Around here we got red ones, we got white ones, we got yellow-green ones. It all depends on which town you're in. We got dark blue ambulances, too.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:27 PM

On the base I'm stationed at, the Fire trucks are either bright red or bright yellow. The red ones respond to fires on the camo-clad part of the base, and the yellow ones respond to fires on the airfield (the "Crash Trucks" are have special equipment for dealing with burning airplanes)
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 PM

US Forest Service fire trucks are green that remind me of the little mermaid
Old 11-01-2009, 03:15 AM

Once again, ignorance was well and truly fought. Thanks all!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Mod Rocker

Tangent:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vifslan View Post
realised that police cars could be green and white instead of the ultramarine and white that I was used to.
In the U.S. and Canada, police cars can be a lot of different colors.

For a long time, (but before most of you were born), the traditional colors were black and white, with the the pattern being various alternating changes among the doors, fenders, quarter panels, hoods/bonnets, trunks/boots, and roofs. That tradition has not faded, completly, and in a number of places, a police car is called a "black and white." However, whites, various shades of blues and violets, greens, and browns are also employed. (I don't actually recall seeing many red or yellow cop cars, although Toronto famously had their "big yellow taxis" until the mid-'80s and I know a couple of departments that bought bright red sports cars to go after, (and entrap?), speeders.)

Last edited by tomndebb; 11-01-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 PM

There's a purple fire truck in a town close to where I live. I couldn't find a link for that one, but here's another purple fire truck (from Greenville, NC). Here's a site with fire trucks in different colors.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:18 PM

They're normally red in Britain, but a while ago there was a firefighter's strike and they drafted in the army to take their place. The army used "Green Goddesses" which, as the name implies, are green.

Last edited by Bisected8; 11-01-2009 at 02:20 PM..
Old 11-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Around here (central Washington, my vicinity anyway) city FD trucks are red, while the county FD trucks are lime green.

Among the various law enforcement agencies, the city PD cars are blue, the county sheriff's department uses sort of a brownish-gold, and the state patrol uses white.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

In my 15+ years of firefighting, I have never driven a red fire engine. Sad, but true.

My non-compensated department uses white with a red stripe.

My career department uses "safety lime yellow," which is mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration for any airport fire apparatus that federal money is used to purchase. If you see a non-slime-yellow fire engine at an airport, someone else's money (the airport's, city's, etc) was used to purchase it.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit a fire engine factory, take the trip. The paint departments have literally every color you can think of. I've been to a large manufacturer in Ocala, Florida; they claimed (and showed) paint chips for something like 1200 different shades of red. That didn't include the varieties of everything else.

There is no set standard for fire apparatus colors in the US. There is, as Fir na tine said above, a new NFPA requirement to have wide diagonal striping on the rear of new fire engines to try to usher traffic away. It's been used in Europe for many years, but it's pretty new to us. I don't know if any studies have been done to see if it works yet.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
...And that's why fire engines are red

Because they are always rushin'

Did you hear about the Southern good ol' boy who insisted that the Three Wise Men must've been volunteer firemen? Because the Bible said "they came from afar...."

We have some bright yellow firetrucks around the Greater Cleveland, Ohio area, but most are still red for tradition's sake.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 PM

The city of Auburn, AL has one orange and blue firetruck.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

All of my department's trucks have red on them, but two are red and white.

Green is the second most common color. The purple truck in Greenville, NC is that way because purple is the color of East Carolina University.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the Fire Trader (wanna buy a used engine?), you can see just about every paint scheme imaginable, and a few you'd never think of.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Most fire engines I've seen are red, but another popular colour is a very bright yellow-green. ('Neon green'?) I've also seen at least one white one.

EDIT: Here's a green one from Miami.

And a white one.
Hubby's team calls the chartreuse trucks "slime lime." It's used mostly for airports, says he.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Around here, the paid companies have all red trucks, in the same color scheme.

The volunteer companies chose their own colors. The trucks at my company are dark green, one company has black and white, another has black and red, another is is red and blue and one is bright canary yellow.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir na tine View Post
Recently some authority came up with the massive reflective diagonal striping that is beginning to appear on the rear of ambulances and fire trucks in the US.
That is what we have here in Austin. Though the fire trucks are still red.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Even before 9/11

In Mom's old neighborhood, the patriotic themed paint scheme truck (fourth photo) was parked outside the station most days:

http://www.indianafiretrucks.com/pag...arren/441.html
Old 11-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir na tine View Post
It's an OSHA mandate, and rather expensive to apply, because it's reflective ($$$) and time consuming to apply ($$$). My fire chief is dragging his feet on having it applied to our trucks ("If they want it, let them pay for it, dammit!").

The rescue squad has 4 ambulances; the newest came with the stripes, and there are plans for the 2nd newest to get retroactively striped soon.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

San Francisco's traditional color is maroon. Not pink.

This site gives a very close-up view of the color, as well as some examples of other fire apparatus artwork.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Elendil's Heir;11729152]Did you hear about the Southern good ol' boy who insisted that the Three Wise Men must've been volunteer firemen? Because the Bible said "they came from afar...."[QUOTE]

I asked my straight-arrow brother-in-law, a firefighter, if he knew what word that started with "F" and ended in "U-C-K." He didn't think it was as funny as I do, though.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindromemordnilap View Post
I asked my straight-arrow brother-in-law, a firefighter, if he knew what word that started with "F" and ended in "U-C-K." He didn't think it was as funny as I do, though.
Try this one out on your BiL:

What is a four letter word ending with a K that means intercourse?

SPOILER:
Talk.

Last edited by VunderBob; 11-02-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Old 11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Fire engines were all red in the UK until about the 80s, when other colours started to be used. An exception was Army fire engines which were green and known as Green Goddesses when the firemen went on strike in the 70s and the Army stepped in.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Fire engines were all red in the UK until about the 80s, when other colours started to be used. An exception was Army fire engines which were green and known as Green Goddesses when the firemen went on strike in the 70s and the Army stepped in.
There was a strike in early 2000 as well. That was the last time Green Goddesses were used since they sold them off after that.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Green or yellow in the UK - I'm guessing there's a rainbow of non reds in that last link.

eta - I was right
One of those UK links is for a pink engine created as a one-off for a gay pride march (presumption is that it'll change back to red afterwards).

The other one - with the green truck to signify the committment to reducing carbon footprint - was due to come into service on 1 April
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Why would you need firetrucks in Antartica? Couldn't you just, you know, wait until the fire freezes?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:

eta - I was right
Did you check the date on the green one?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM

As a slight derail, being a native English speaker, it never occured to me that they might be called anything other than fire trucks. Many eons ago, on a trip to Japan, I happened to see they're called water trucks (with the kanji character for Water painted on the side), which struck me as so logical, I can't believe I never questioned it before.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staver808 View Post
As a slight derail, being a native English speaker, it never occured to me that they might be called anything other than fire trucks. Many eons ago, on a trip to Japan, I happened to see they're called water trucks (with the kanji character for Water painted on the side), which struck me as so logical, I can't believe I never questioned it before.
Around here, what they're called depends on what they carry. Fire engines carry tools, fire trucks have the ladders, aerial trucks have the huge expanding ladder for reaching high places, squads have specialized rescue equipment, and tankers are the big water trucks (2,000 gallons or more).
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Up here in Fairbanks, Alaska, (where house fires in the winter customarily freeze and await fighting until the spring thaw when there is a sudden epidemic of them as a result) we have the lime-green engines as well as the red ones. I think there are green ones in use on the nearby army installation, Ft. Wainwright. And they may have yellow ones out at the international airport.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Yellow (is that yellow?). Canberra, Australia
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3350/...eb406b2f_o.jpg

Last edited by Cugel; 11-03-2009 at 09:53 PM..
Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 AM

I live over in Kobe Japan, and I see quite a few that are red, but painted up with black spots so they look like ladybugs.

Last edited by Wall6ly; 11-05-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Old 11-06-2009, 07:28 PM

....Exiterminate?