How many hit Rock/Pop tunes mention Wisconsin?

There’s Springsteen’s “Cadillac Ranch” with:

Hey little girlie in the blue jeans so tight
Drivin’ alone through the Wisconsin night

And there’s Lightfoot’s “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” with:

The ship was the pride of the American side
Coming back from some mill in Wisconsin

Any others?

Well, there’s Zappa’s “The Madison Panty-Sniffing Festival”, but it wasn’t a hit, nor is it really a song.

I got nothin’.

Bon Iver, “Wisconsin”

That was Wisconsin that was yesterday
Now I have nothing that I can keep
Cause every place I go I take another place with me
Love is loves critique

The Dead Milkmen did some sort of demo in 1983 with a cool song on it called “I’m Livin in Wisconsin”. You can download it for free (and legally) here.

It’s by no means a hit, tho…damn your thread title! :smiley:

The Jonathan Richman song “They’re Not Tryin’ on the Dance Floor” features the immortal lyrics:
Like Sheboygan or Eau Claire
They’re just there.

The Violent Femmes have a live album full of hits titled “Viva Wisconsin.” You’d think that one of their songs would have a reference in it, but I can’t think of one.

The end of That 70’s Show theme song.Not sure if that counts tho.

“Hello Wisconsin!”

“Lower 48” by the Gourds - I’m almost positive it mentions Wisconsin, since it mentions every state…in the Lower 48. Can’t seem to find lyrics for it at the moment.

“I’ve Been Everywhere” by Johnny Cash mentions Fon Du Lac.

Dolly Parton, “Milwaukee Here I Come”

Ella Fitzgerald, “My Cousin in Milwaukee”

John Prine’s Lake Marie practically gives a geography and history lesson about the Illinois-Wisconsin border.

Plus, you gotta appreciate a song with lyrics including

*There was four Italian sausages cooking on the outdoor grill
And Man, they was ssssssssizzlin’
Many years later we found ourselves in Canada
Trying to save our marriage and perhaps catch a few fish
Whatever seemed easier

. . .

The dogs were barking as the cars were parking
The loan sharks were sharking the narcs were narcing
Practically everyone was there*

The mid-90’s alt band Sponge has a song called “Neenah Menasha”. The song has nothing to do with those 2 cities though. Apparently, the band was traveling through the area touring and liked the sound of the words.

Other than that and the 2 you mentioned in the OP, I got nothin’

A recent favorite: Optimist vs. the Silent Alarm by Casiotone for the Painfully Alone

Lyrics here.

Thought of another one that sort of fits:

After their Empire tour, Queensryche released a video/CD set of their Operation: Mindcrime album played live in its entirety, which was recorded in Madison. When introducing the song “I Don’t Believe In Love” (the studio version of which was a hit) Geoff Tate says something like “I’ve got a question for the audience… does anyone here in Madison, Wisconsin believe in love?”

I’ll try to stick to Rock Pop as you asked for. Do you want the name Wisconsin or is a town good enough?

Ten Degrees and Getting Colder - Nancy Griffith The guy is hitchhiking to Milwaukee.
Bear Fans In Wisconsin - Bananas at Large I consider this one pop.

I can come up with more if contemporary folk songs are good.

Fascinating examples, all! Thanks.

Unfortunately for me, they have all made me register a blank look when trying to recognize the song (I did recognize some of the artists). My musical head, such as it is, is firmly stuck back in the Classic Rock era.

I am happy to hear that Sheboygan, Fond du lac, Neenah, and Menasha are all getting represented in song. I hope Mukwonago and Oconomowoc one day are represented, too.

thought for sure I’d get beaten to this one:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Around the World

*Bonafide ride

Step aside my Johnson

Yes I could

In the woods of Wisconsin *

Lou and Peter Berryman (not rock/pop, but eminently entertaining) probably have a few dozen.

I love the spoken-word piece on their CD Yah Hey (dedicated to Wisconsin topics) in which Peter talks about those intrepid explorers, Merriwether Lewis and Kimberly Clark, traveling south and being perplexed when their guides would stop every few miles and throw forty cents into the bushes. I LOL every time.

Depending upon your definition of rock, there’s a whole album (and song) that name-drops Wisconsin.

I purposely kicked off Lou and Peter Berryman because all the songs they sing have Lou playing her concertina accordion. I can’t bring myself to call their stuff pop. Otherwise there would be songs like Oh Wonderful Madison. They cram their songs with Wisconsin references so let me add one more.

The Biggest Cow

I also stayed away from Da Yoopers which do play even rock. They are big in Michigan and Wisconsin.

I’d have to include a song like the Cow Pie Song.

“What’s Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made A Loser Out Of Me)” by Jerry Lee Lewis