The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Dog is "dry retching", what is wrong?

My 2 year old 20 pound hounddog in the middle of the night started to act like she was throwing up, but the sound is gutteral and rough, like a very loud snore. She kept doing it for about 3 minutes straight, and then stopped, but resumed a few minutes later but stopped quicker.

This evening, she still is making the rough gutteral sound but in short bursts, and only once every 2 minutes.

She hasn't been kenneled but is exposed to other dogs, although not that many.

I dont see any lethargy or other symptoms. Not wanting to wait for a veternary appointment, is there anything I should know? What is this?
Advertisements  
Old 11-03-2009, 04:54 PM

My dog does this once in a while after eating grass. A piece of grass will get stuck to the side somewhere along the way down apparently. I give him a piece of bread to eat and that usually fixes him up.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM

If you really want to know what it could be, I'll start the list:

Possibly kennel cough (bordetella). See Wiki entry here. Less for me to type.

Untreated it may get much worse, and could turn into pneumonia. Weigh the cost of a vet visit + clavamox for 7-10 days VS hospitalization for up to week.

Or it might be something else, who knows.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Might also be allergies or some sort of foreign body in the nose - we used to have a dog that would make all sorts of horrifying noises like you describe, which was our cue to hustle them outside or at least to the smooth and washable kitchen floor as a nasty <splort> was about to be ejected from their nose. Almost always, they'd be back to normal after this.

All the noise seemed like they were trying to figure out how to blow their nose.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM

I was going to say kennel cough as well. Our dog did this for a long time as well, and the vet diagnosed bronchitis. (That diagnoses has since changed for the worse, but that doesn't sound like your dog's symptoms, so no worries)
Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 PM

I'm 90% it is what I have heard called 'inverted sneezing'. You can google it but no one seems to know the cause. Sounds like a rough, wheezy, hawking noise. If you see them doing it you can see that they are inhaling strongly, not gagging or anything.

My Tibetan Terrier does it fairly often. It was worse when she was younger and my solution, when she couldn't stop, was to hold her mouth closed, put my mouth over her nose, and suck all the air out of her lungs. Yes, I am weird, but it worked instantly! If I didn't do it she would go on for some time and seem very distressed.

I've never heard of it lasting for so long.. I would take her to the vet to figure this out.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 AM
BANNED

Might be time to do a re-enactment of the ending to "Old Yeller".
Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

If the sound is anything like my dog, it's allergies. That retching sound is actually a type of wheeze.

My vet tells me if my dog's get worse, she''l prescribe an anti-asthma medication.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

My shih-tzu used to "honk" occasionally...a common problem with the "pug-nosed" dogs (like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2-wz...eature=related)).
Old 11-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

My dog will "hack" like she's dry-retching after vigorous rough-housing. I've always put it down to some form of catching her breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
...my solution, when she couldn't stop, was to hold her mouth closed, put my mouth over her nose, and suck all the air out of her lungs.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:47 PM

No telling what it is- my terrier mix recently had a cough (it sounds like retching, but it's actually a cough) and after watching him for 2 days and seeing no other symptoms, the cough resolved; the end. My Rottie who passed away several years ago had congestive heart failure and the first symptom of it was a cough upon waking and after laying down for long periods. If it keeps up, visit a vet.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:09 PM

I agree, it sounds like reverse sneezing to me. About 6 months ago my dog was doing the same thing, she was reverse sneezing several times a day (which is actually kind of disturbing to watch). I took her to the vet, where she promptly reversed sneezed for him, and he confirmed that was what it was (at that point I wasn't totally clear what reverse sneezing was). He thought it was probably "nasal mites", treated with a medication called "Revolution" and within a day or two that was it. Haven't seen her reverse sneeze once since then. The vet told me nasal mites are something he had never even heard of 5 years ago and now he's seeing it more and more. Dogs get it from digging and sniffing around dead and decayed leaves, flowers, ect., the mites get into their noses and set up house. The good thing about the medication is that it will kill mites, worms, fleas or any other kind of pest lurking in their bodies and apparently, has no side effects to the animal. While she had the mites she was also restless, but it wasn't a real obvious symptom, just something the vet mentioned and I thought, yea, she had been out of sorts.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Thanks, Dopers!

My dog has had these "snorking" events his entire life. Not too frequently, they didn't seem to bother him, and the vet didn't seem too concerned.

I never knew what to call this, so just called it snorking. Now I know that it is indeed the reverse sneezing mentioned, and that it's not anything to worry about at the frequency he experiences it.

Good to know after all this time.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Another possibility is toy fragments the dog has ingested. This is a problem with string and rope toys which are easily shredded, but the strings can get stuck and are difficult to dislodge. Dogs can, of course, swallow anything that will fit down their throats, so other types of toy fragments can be ingested and cause problems, but in my experience, the strings are the ones my dogs have trouble coughing out.

Prevention is to monitor your dog while playing with shreddable toys, then put they toys up when you're no longer paying attention.

Nasal mites, swallowed toy parts, kennel cough, congestive heart failure, or nothing -- a vet visit might sort out what's going on.