Are microwaves dangerous?

I know they can affect food in some way, but not really what it does. Aside from the effects on food that it cooks, is it dangerous to stand near a running microwave?

I know a certain person who leaves the room when a microwave is running, but has no problem eating the food that comes out of it. It is my understanding that the energy inside the microwave cant escape because the waves are bigger than the holes b/w the metal in the door.

So, whats the deal here?

The way they affect food is to do something called “heating” to it.

Microwaves can cause burns and possible eye damage if you are exposed to very high intensities. A microwave oven with a working gasket is leaking miniscule (and safe) amounts.

Just curious: what were you abbreviating there? I ask because I can’t make heads or tails of it. I’ve only ever seen “b/w” used in describing recordings (Prince, “Let’s Go Crazy” b/w “Erotic City”).

B/W is between in my notes, sorry :).

Diathermy

Microwaves use EM radiation (specifically microwaves - which are of lower frequency of what we term “light” and fall into what we term the radio side of the spectrum) to heat food through a process called dielectring heating (polar water molecules in an oscillating electrical field shift around to align themselves. This shifting causes friction and friction causes heat).

So the EM waves oscillates, water molecules move around and heat up.

So you tell me, by what mechanism could this hurt us?

There really is no danger from Microwaves as long as you don’t stick your head in one and remove the fail safe somehow. Thermal burns will damage your eyes and skin, and enough exposure will cook you as easily as a turkey, of course.

Also, it is not really the size of the waves that prevent them from going past the faraday cage like mesh on the window. Light waves aren’t physical squiggly lines in the air. They are electrical fields. Their inability to escape is a function of dissipating fields. (Someone else might be able to explain this better :wink: ).

It’s not an ionizing radiation. Standing next to the oven will not mess up your sperm.

Ah! Makes perfect sense now! Thanks!

He’s almost certainly being paranoid; but in one sense he’s acting correctly. If the microwave was damaged or defective and leaking lots of microwaves, as said it would burn him just like it heats food. It almost certainly is doing nothing of the kind, so he’s taking precautions against a threat that isn’t there.

But even if that was so; the food is just as safe as anything cooked on a stove. It’s just hot food. Microwaves are potentially dangerous the way a red hot heating element is potentially dangerous; it can burn you. But it doesn’t contaminate anything.

Cecil addresses some microwave safety issues starting with pacemakers and moving on from there.

If you don’t damage, modify and take the cover off a microwave, you’re safe.

This is exactly what i was expecting to hear, thanks. Now all I just need to do is convince them how silly it is somehow.

Why bother?
With people who believe stuff this silly, I’d just as soon have them outside the room, rather than sitting at my table.

I recall when microwaves first came out. People I knew swore they got a headache by standing near it while it was operating. Sounded plausible to me at the time; after all, this was something straight out of science fiction! We take them for granted these days. In fact, we got ours free just for buying our washing machine.

I also recall being in a convenience store once in the mid-1970s when some guy came in and asked the clerk if he could heat up his sack of food he’d just bought from Wienerschitzel (are those still around?). After a couple of minutes, a loud shriek filled the store, from that customer. His food was on fire! Seemed Wienerschnitzl wrapped their stuff in a thin piece of foil. :smiley:

And since the method by which microwaves would do damage to humans is by heating, you can easily be certain that your microwave isn’t damaging you: If it were, you’d feel the heat. This also applies to cell phones, incidentally: If you don’t feel your cell phone heating up your head, then it’s not harming you.

Its hard when they are a family member. Not to mention an adult. Heres a laugh for you:

There is also a fear of beef in my house. We havent had beef in about 5 years (unless I buy it and bring it in for myself).

We didnt have milk around because it was thought to be dangerous, so our milk was switched to soy milk.

And then it was found out soy was dangerous too! So now we’re back to regular milk. No soy sauce either.

Cell phones? Dont even go there.
Monitors? Dont even go there.
microwaves? Stay away!

Said family member takes about 15 pills a day and tries to get me to take them too. Just thought Id share the little story of my life :). I wish I could remember some of the more funny ones, Im fogetting about 10 things. I think the majority of this comes from the radio show “coast to coast.” Its kind of an all night conspiracy theory get together which sadly gets listened to nearly religiously and without any critical thinking apparently…

Quick update. Literally one minute ago I was just informed that “cell phones, microwaves and now ROUTERS” are all dangerous and they are getting rid of them in Europe. lol.

It’s true, the police just broke down my door and took my phone and my microwave.

And my wallet.

At least, I think it was the police.

Don’t forget that little black box above the door at the grocery store. For heaven’s sake, it beams MICROWAVES straight down into YOUR BRAIN!!! What, did you think it was magic? It uses MICROWAVES!!! And we all know those are just evil.

Your “certain person” needs one of these: Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

Well we know that radio frequency radiation can cause DNA damage. And we know that exposure to low frequency radiation has been linked to cancer via cell phones.

So it’s not like it’s completely implausible for microwave radiation could be carcinogenic. There’s just a total absence of evidence, despite a lot of time spent looking.

The door opening things? Interesting; I always assumed it was ultrasound for some reason. Sonar rather than radar.