What did they do to Hostess Fruit Pies?

Last month, I got a hankering for a lemon hostess fruit pie. I hadn’t had one in probably 15 years, but for some reason I wanted one. My MIL put four Hostess lemon pies in a care package and it came yesterday.

First off, the pies are smaller, second the little fruit pie dressed as a magician on the wrapper is gone and finally (and most importantly) the pies lack a shell of sugary glaze like they used to have.

Anyone else noticed? I waited 15 years for this?

Is there still a big space between the edge of the crust and the start of the filling so that the first bite is disappointingly mostly crust? I’m sorry to hear about the glaze, that’s sad.

For the cherry, yes. that’s why you only buy them from the places that display them on the side, and eat them like a slice of pizza.

IIrc, that never happens with the lemon, they fill that puppy up to the brim.

Meh, I don’t miss the glaze at all. It just made my hands dirty, and I was there for filling, period. I still eat cherry filling straight from the can.

I think the one you bought last month was actually manufactured 15 years ago. Probable shrinkage, and the glaze decomposed.

Huh, that’s wierd, I had an apple one a month ago and it had a sugary glaze on it (Though it was reduced from childhood levels, it’s certainly there).

I haven’t had one of those in years either.
About 6 months ago, I had one of those hankerings for the little pies that come in the individual aluminum pie plate. As a kid it was great - like getting your own delicious pie just for yourself.
Well, either my memory is failing me or these too have gone way down in quality - it was stale crust with a glop in the middle that was just a gooey mess of fruit mash and sugar.
Maybe it’s true; “You can’t go home again” when it comes to re-visiting taste treats of yore.

Anybody think the apple pies have a kind of …beefy…taste?

They taste like potatoes with cinnamon on them to me.

He got killed by goblins.

I’ve never had Hostess Fruit Pies, but I have had Drake’s Fruit Pies, which I call “Hostess Fruit Pies” since Drake’s and Hostess are owned by the same company. They have a sort of sugary glaze over them, and they’re damn good. (And when I eat them, I usually babble to myself about how the police knew it was the Joker because he’s the only one crazy enough not to love Hostess Fruit Pies.)

No they are not as good as they were. The Hostess pies are now on the same level as generic fruit pies.

Definitely not as good as they were (I had one a couple years ago after having not had one since childhood).

That said, I’m not sure if they are worse or it is another example of how awful my taste was as a child.

Fruit pies? eh, haven’t had one in decades.

Now pass me a Honey Bun. :smiley:

There’s a reason. They contain beef fat.

When I was a kid in Texas, we called em fried pies. Still my favorite junk pastry. We used to go to the Hostess outlet, and each kid would get to pick a treat, and I was always the only one who got a fried pie. Cherry was the favorite then. Peach seems to show up seasonally. And blackberry is my favorite now; I indulge once a year or so.

But yeah, they’re not as good: smaller, less glaze, and the crust is not as crusty, more soggy. Still, every once in a while I can’t pass them up.

They used to be kind of dipped in glaze, completely coated, this was more sprinkled with frosting.

The lemon pies are only half filled. You have to break it in half and redistribute the filling or toss half the crust out. The pies are smaller. I don’t remember the glaze missing on the last one, but the store seldom have them, so I haven’t had one for a year.

If you want a tiny (probably half the size of Hostess) fruit pie with a glaze and somewhat decent crust and filling, try Cutie Pies. I get mine at Walmart. For me, it’s just the right size (the sugar content is just too much otherwise) and I think they’re pretty tasty. The chocolate ones are my favorite, but the lemon and cherry ones are pretty good, too.

I’m in IL. I’d never seen them before until I started shopping for groceries at the Super Walmart. Best of all, it’s like $1.68 for a box of 6 pies.

My favorite is the Hostess Chocolate Pudding Pie. A few times a year I’ll indulge. They’re so sweet that I can only eat half. Then the next day I’ll eat the other half.

Chocolate is a fruit right. :wink:

Over thanksgiving, my mom had a box of local brand fried apple pies. They were thickly coated with sugar and I loved them. Like donuts, I love them but they are such a symbol of unhealthy eating that I normally manage to resist them. Not this last time, though. I had four.