The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM

My cat likes to lick the water faucet...why?

Recently, my cat has started exhibiting a new, odd behavior. Whenever I go into the bathroom, the cat will follow. She jumps up onto the counter and will start rubbing her head on my side or arm, kind of like she does when she wants something. Now's where it gets weird. She will then climb into the sink and start clawing at it (the clawing behavior is another thing she does when she wants something). Then, she will lick the faucet right where the water comes out. I would guess that she wants water, but she has clean water in her dish.

Anyone else have a cat that does this? Why would the cat do this?
Advertisements  
Old 12-16-2009, 05:23 PM

It's probably colder straight from the faucet.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 PM

My cat exhibits the same bathroom behavior, has the same clean water, yet loves to watch the toilet flush and then tries to drink from it! Other times she'll drink standing water - miniscule puddles, really - in the bathtub. The water in there really isn't colder than the water in her bowl. I just figured she was a weird cat!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:57 PM

The water is pretty cold straight out of the faucet. I'm not sure how the cat would know that though, when it's actually on, she gets away from it. When she's licking the faucet, it's dry. She's just licking metal. I just tried to put ice in the cat's water dish though to test this, but she is just staring at it like WTF is this?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
BANNED

It's definately the movement of the water. My cat would do this with a drip in the faucet. In fact she could drink out of her bowl and she'd be done, and I could take her to any faucet and turn it on and she'd drink some more.

They have "cat fountains" you can buy to keep your cat's water dish moving, rather the water in it moving, like in a fountain.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Glot View Post
I just figured she was a weird cat!
I'm starting to think the same thing and am about to write this off as another of my cat's odd behaviors.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 PM

I have never known a cat to *not* want to drink from the faucet. Cats instinctively prefer running water to stagnant water and extremely fresh water to water that's been sitting. Also, if the water dish is right next to the food, they tend to drink less (they will still drink obviously). It's not odd at all - pretty normal for a cat actually.

As others have noted, cat fountains are popular for this very reason.

Last edited by Hello Again; 12-16-2009 at 06:16 PM..
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Cats have lots of static in there fur. Water fixtures are great conductors of electricity. Your cat likes to be shocked through it's tongue. Your cat is weird. Your cat is therefore a normal cat, but in a cat way, not normal as we would usually use the word.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM

My cat always has plenty of fresh, clean water, and yet prefers to lick water from the floor of the shower. She is also facinated by the smell of soap, will roll and rub on freshly washed bare feet after a shower.

I think it is the soap.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
I have never known a cat to *not* want to drink from the faucet. Cats instinctively prefer running water to stagnant water and extremely fresh water to water that's been sitting. Also, if the water dish is right next to the food, they tend to drink less (they will still drink obviously). It's not odd at all - pretty normal for a cat actually.

As others have noted, cat fountains are popular for this very reason.
I don't doubt the typical feline fountain-lovin' behavior at all, but as an anecdotal aside: my kids leave the water running from the faucet from time to time, yet I've never noticed my "weird" cat taking any particular interest in drinking from it.

The soap thing, though, would make sense for her since again, she loves drinking up the water puddles after someone's bathed. And again, the TMI involved in her drinking from the toilet. Maybe she just likes the taste of, um, slightly flavored water?!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 PM

We had a cat, Misty, who used to do that. She'd sit by the sink and cry until you'd "drip" the faucet.

We have a picture of her drinking from it, but unfortunately, it's not online. (I'd have to scan it)
Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 PM

My cat is also insane for the bathroom sink. He gets me up every morning to go turn it on. So, naturally, I bought him a cat fountain, thinking that he would be content with that and lay off already. Nope. He'll drink from the cat fountain, but it's not any more interesting to him than his old water dish. He still wants the sink.

My theory is that, in addition to preferring running water, cats are more interested in things when they are "found." Being desert animals by nature, their ancestors had to hunt down their water and food. Modern cats still have that searching instinct, and thus "found" water in the bathroom sink, in the tub, in puddles on the floor, is more stimulating than water that is in the same place day after day.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyper View Post
My theory is that, in addition to preferring running water, cats are more interested in things when they are "found." Being desert animals by nature, their ancestors had to hunt down their water and food. Modern cats still have that searching instinct, and thus "found" water in the bathroom sink, in the tub, in puddles on the floor, is more stimulating than water that is in the same place day after day.
I've heard that before; possibly on this board. Clearly, we need to combine a Roomba with a fountain to keep our cats happy.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 PM

It wouldn't hurt to have a vet check out the cat for hyper-thyroid problems (or something else).
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM

Tikva follows me to the bathroom at night, and while she's waiting for me she loves to play with tap water. She'll bat the stream with her paw, and stick her head under and try to drink it. I think it's the movement.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Really weird cat and water faucet ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTdhK0lwuw
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 AM

My cat will only drink from the faucet. She ignored her cat fountain. She lets me know when she needs a drink, and has trained me to run the water at the right pressure.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:05 AM

My cats are the same. We have twin sinks in the main bathroom and one of them is just for the cats. Of the six of them, 4 have various sink configurations they like to drink from. Some want (fresh) still water in the basin, others like the tap running. One of them likes a little in the basin which he drinks, and then turns the basin into a cat Wall-of-Death which he scoots around in and then falls asleep.

They have a water fountain that is regularly changed. They used to love it but most now prefer the sink. I find they get bored of their main drinking mechanism quite often. For about 6-8 months I used to have to* fill up six individual glasses which were kept by their food bowls.

It just makes them even lovelier

t.

* Of course I didn't have to, but they like it and it's funny, so I did.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghardester View Post
My cat always has plenty of fresh, clean water, and yet prefers to lick water from the floor of the shower.
My Luna likes shower water, too.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Really weird cat and water faucet ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTdhK0lwuw
I've seen this 100 times, and I still laugh out loud watching it.

I've got two cats. One makes a point of drinking from the sink...in fact, I don't know if I've ever seen him drinking from his dish. The other one, kind of like the OP's kitty, hops in the bathtub and licks at the drain. She won't drink from the sink, but she does use the water dish.

Conclusion: Cats are wierd.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 AM
BANNED

Cats like routine and it takes will to break it. If you have a cat fountain and allow your cat to drink from the faucet, the cat won't care.

The cat will do what its routine says and that routine says drink from the faucet. Deny her this consistantly and he/she will learn.

But you have to be prepared to put up with cries. Also you have to retrain. If your cat is at the faucet, tell her "NO," and makes sure you do it in a voice that is "mean" so the cat knows you're not happy.

Then bring her/him to the cat fountain and play with the water flowing and the cat will be happy then.

Also make sure your cat fountain has a similar flow rate.

A cat has a routine and they are creatures that do not like to be disturbed out of that routine. You need a lot of effort. It truly is a battle of wills
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 AM
SDSAB

Our cat got in the bad habit of drinking from the bottom of the tub, but has now adapted to drinking from a dish of fresh water that we put there every morning after we've bathed.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM

You may be putting fresh water in the cat's bowl, but are you actually washing the bowl too? Cats can be put off from their water bowl by odors, even their own.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyper View Post
I think you are on to something. My cat seems to hate his water bowl (filled with fresh, filtered water) but will drink water from any other source. He wants to go outside after a rain to lick the water droplets off of plants. He also loves licking the condensation off of a cold drinking glass or can of soda.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Just to put in my 2 cents' worth -- anything that encourages a cat to drink is good. It helps keep their kidneys healthy. I'll second the comment on washing the water bowl too, not just rinsing it out.

Some people say that cats like their water source to be some distance away from their food source. I don't know about that, but it could be another reason some cats like to drink from faucets.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Our cat got in the bad habit of drinking from the bottom of the tub, but has now adapted to drinking from a dish of fresh water that we put there every morning after we've bathed.
I read that first part as, "our cat got in the bad habit of smoking."
Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Little Cat started with drinking from the faucet, then moved along into sleeping in the sink. I think the latter developed out of going into the bathroom with hopes that someone would come along to turn the water on; when no one did, she just decided to take advantage of the nice porcelain cat-bed she was sitting in.

Mayhem, on the other hand, likes to drink anything that I'm drinking. Water, soda, juice, tea. She'll stick her head in the glass, and if it's within reach of her tongue, she'll help herself. She also loves soap--I'd never heard of this in another cat before you mentioned it, ghardester. For a while, we had a mesh bag full of soap slivers sitting in the upstairs hall (for eventual donation to some charity or other; I don't know the details). Mayhem would rub on it and roll around on it as if it were catnip. She also loved to sleep near it. Also, she's normally a one person cat--except for when my father is fresh out of the shower. So long as he's smelling of soap, she'll hang around him and treat him sort of she would normally treat me. It's a weird thing.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
You may be putting fresh water in the cat's bowl, but are you actually washing the bowl too? Cats can be put off from their water bowl by odors, even their own.
I do wash the bowl, but only about once or twice a week. Perhaps I need to do that more often or something. I don't know though, its starting to sound like its normal for cats to have a fascination with the faucet.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 AM

mineral deficiency

Hello! this is an old post, but maybe someone will find it useful. My cat does this same thing but in a far more obnoxious way. He will jump up on the counter, i the sink, and in the bathtub to get to a leaky faucet. he knocks things over, paws t me while im in the shower, and he bugs me while im brushing my teeth. My vet said tht this is a fairly natural behavior for cats (if it's not excessive) because they are, after all, hunters. they're animals and have an instinct to find water. they also tend to ust like running water better. that's why they make those little pet water-ers now that purify and run constantly. BUT for chipper (my 9-mo-old) the vet sai he may have a minor calcium deficiency. if he's seeking out anything with deposits almost constantly, then he may just crave the calcium from them. He said it isn't a big deal. as long as there are no chemicals, it's fine. just be careful about bathtbs because they can get into the soap and stuff. he also said that if it becomes a problem, like he's breaking things and being generally annoying, I can put him on a kitty vitamin and tht should satisfy his cravings a little.
just what I know. I haven't tried the vitamins yet, but I'll post if i do.