The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 PM
BANNED

Fed Ex Doesn't HAVE To Ring Your Bell

This was something I didn't know. I ordered something from JC Penny, and the total was $250.00

So today I see it's being shipped to me FedEx.

So I was tracking this package and at 11am it says "To be delivered." Then I check at 11:30am and it says "Package delivered left at front door."

So I go out to the front of my apartment of flats with over 40 apartments, and there's no package. I went to the manager no package. So it's gone.

I called Fed-Ex and they said, "No the driver doesn't have to attempt to ring your bell. Since you're package wasn't "signature required" all he has to do is drop it off at the front of the door."

I said, "Well you know because you're driver couldn't take two seconds to ring a bell, someone stole this." She said "Then the sender should've sent it "signature required"

I called JC Penny and they said they'd put in a credit for the package. Hopefully that'll be the end of that.

But I didn't realize this, I realize it's the holidays and drivers are trying to save time, but still, he couldn't have just dropped the package, rung the bell and left?

I'm glad I found this out now, I guess it's a way of getting a few extra bucks for sig confirmation
Advertisements  
Old 12-21-2009, 04:20 PM

UPS has done that at my house, after dark, recently. I live out in the country, so it's not like anything is going to get stolen, but I'm home, sitting in either my living room or the computer room, got lights on, so it looks like someone is home, and I clearly hear the unmistakable sound of a big ass delivery truck in my driveway. By the time I get to the door, the truck is already leaving. No bell ring, no nothing. If you aren't going to wait for a response, at least knock on the door or ring the bell.

Last edited by Oakminster; 12-21-2009 at 04:21 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Just like everything else, I bet the drivers are overloaded with packages and have to meet some insane delivery time table.

Our garbage collectors are like this. They don't have time to pick up things that fall out of cans, or even to set the cans back properly. They are hurry hurry hurry up the street, and I bet corporate bottom line is the reason.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
BANNED

Well as long as I see the credit on my credit card, I don't care that someone in my building got a $250.00 Christmas present, but still, I think it'd be good to point this out that the driver doesn't have to make any attempt to contact you.

This alone would make me want to use a signature requried service. Then again, I wonder what's to stop the driver from just taking it, though I'm sure JC Penny will follow up with Fed Ex and if "packages go missing" too often he'll cop his job for the suspicion.

Still I learned something today. If I order online again, I'm gonna make sure I ask someone if I can get the "sig required" option, even if I have to pay for it.

Dropping a package and hitting a buzzer takes no longer than dropping it and leaving, assumming he doesn't just slow down the truck and whip it out as he drives past
Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Last December, FedEx left two $800 laptops at my house porch, no signature required. They were gone in minutes. It was the sender's choice to send it that way. It took them several weeks to process the paperwork and I had to file a police report by phone. People follow the trucks around, wait for a home that looks quiet, and run up and grab the packages. A neighbor caught someone (same person?) doing it to them on his security camera and posted it on Youtube, but the person's face wasn't visible and her van was not uniquely identifiable.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:35 PM

It sounds like they pretty much are trying to make you pay for the higher service by instructing their workers to make it nearly impossible for you to get your item otherwise.

I wouldn't respond by paying them extra--I'd respond by using a different service. I generally find the USPS to be sufficient. But even UPS will knock on my door, even if they deliver to the wrong house half the time. (Fortunately, I live in a much more honest neighborhood.)
Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 PM

I had a similar issue last year, but with the post office. The box wouldn't fit in my mailbox so she put it on top, but I had been home all day. Surprise surprise somebody stole it.

I called to complain and the helpful idiot on the line patiently explained that it couldn't be stolen because stealing from the mail is a federal crime. No matter how I explained it had been stolen she was insistent that it was illegal. Finally I manged to convince her to transfer me to someone in the 'it was stolen' division. The crime guy then explained to me that nothing should ever be left on top of a mailbox, particularly in my neighborhood. I did not disagree. He then said that since in wasn't insured there was nothing he could do but take a report, and tell my mailwoman I had complained about her.

So 2 hours on phone, no package or recompense, and my mailwoman hates me still.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

What pisses me off the most is when the delivery drivers hit the bell/knock then freakin' disappear before I can get the door open. Even if I'm standing less than 10 feet away from the door in the living room, they must just slap that "delivery attempted" notice up, >bong<, and flee. It's even more annoying when my disabled husband has to hobble to the door, just no chance he'll get there in time.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM

When I get a package from UPS the driver rings my bell and then leaves the package on my front porch. Apparently nothing has to be signed for any more, because by the time I get to the door the driver is gone. So far nothing has ever been stolen, although that may be because I've always been home so I can bring the package inside right away.

The Post Office also leaves packages on my porch if they don't fit in my mailbox. As far as I can tell they don't bother to ring the bell, though, which is why I've occasionally gone out to check the mail and almost tripped over a box.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I would love to have my fedex, USPS and UPS guys cloned for you all .... they all know I am a gimp and actually wait for me to get to my door. Well except my USPS guy is a lady =) I live out in the country and so far even if I am not home, nothing has gotten kipped. Although I am thinking of building a flip open bench on the front porch next to the door to hold packages in case of rain.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
BANNED

What keeps a dishonest person from ordering an expensive item and then simply claiming it never arrived?

I suppose that's the kind of thing you can get away with once; after that it may be a different story.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Today is the busiest shipping day of the year. Last year around this time I saw my UPS driver sprinting up my driveway to deliver a package.

He left before I could even give him a box of buckeyes (chocolate/peanut butter confections) that I'd made for him, upon the advice of my friend, the UPS driver. Lots of days they don't even stop to eat.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Sounds like there's an unexploited market for self locking drop boxes.

Approx the size of a trunk.

You leave it open when you're expecting a delivery. The delivery person drops it in the box, closes the box to lock it. No time wasted and no lost packages.

Or is that too simplistic?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 PM

SHHHHH!!!! Lisa, you should know better than to use that word around here.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

So, wait. "Signature required" actually just means "ring the doorbell" now?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM

I'm sorry, Marxxx. I had a package stolen from my building's lobby last December, too. My stuff was only about $140, and when I told Sierra Trading Post about it, they shipped a replacement immediately for no charge. They're great! But it was because the driver left the package out in the vestibule where people use the telecom system to get buzzed in by residents. The drivers are supposed to call the building manager so she lets them in and they can leave packages by the resident mailboxes, not as available for passers-by to steal. This guy didn't do that, and so bye-bye package.

I switched to getting everything delivered to work where I know my stuff is safe. I just have to lug it home.

IME, there is no extra fee for "signature required", you just have to remember to request it whenever you place an order. I'm really surprised that an item over $200 wasn't shipped that way anyway.

One more fun one - at work, I often order controlled drugs. They are shipped with a distinctive green sticker on the box that clearly states "adult signature required", and when I got a box of buprenorphine last week the "temp" driver just handed it to the woman who answered the door and left. Little did he know that he handed it to the only other person in the building besides me who would know what exactly was in that box and that her signature should have been mandatory. She told me about it, I tracked the package (the sig line stated "gave to adult woman" instead of her name like it should have) and the shipper is pissed. UPS is in a bit of hot water now. The shipper is a huge company that UPS would generally not want to make mad, it's a gigantic account!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 PM

I thought FedEx required a signature for everything? I don't think I've ever received a FedEx shipment without having to sign for something.

If at all possible get things shipped to work or request a signature. There are a lot of thieving assholes that follow delivery trucks around, or just cruise neighborhoods and look for packages.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Huh. Everything I've gotten via UPS and FedEx recently has been Signature Required. They've pressed the intercom and waited for me to come to the lobby. The items have been things ranging from a pair of printer cartridges to a $3000 computer. Fortunately, I've been home a lot. The only things that I got a notice for were items from Canada Post that wouldn't fit in the mailbox; I had to go to the post office across the road for them.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 PM

This is why I like my neighborhood. I live in a subdivision close to a mid-size city (Richmond, VA) and always have the delivery drivers just leave the package on my front porch. I have never had anything stolen, including one occasion where I was unexpectedly out of town for over 3 weeks and the package (a brand new Computer) just sat on my front porch for those 3 weeks. Computer worked just fine.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 PM
BANNED

Oddly enough I got another items from Borders coming so I tracked that. Now this is signature required, but the tracking said "Item has been sent to the USPS at Robert Clement Station. This may require an additional two days to deliver.

I am wondering if this item will require my signtuare or not, because FedEx put it off to the post office.

What surprised me a bit is how co-operative JC Penny was. The clerk conversation went

Me) I had a package that the tracking said was left at my door and it isn't there. It must've been stolen.

JC Penny) Oh, I'm sorry, I'll go ahead and credit that right away and report the package as stolen to Fed Ex. Would you like to place a re-order.

Me) No, it'll just get stolen again, I'll buy it from another store.

JC Penny) OK well have a happy holiday and thing else I can do for you today.

Now I can't complain about the service, provided I do see this credit, but it was like the Customer Service Clerk didn't even care or that it was common place, she didn't even seem to be surprised. And she wasn't the least bit bothered I told her that I'd buy the items elsewhere. Maybe it was a call center and she didn't work for Penny's at all? But then how would she have my credit card info? Hmm. Oh well as I said, as long as I don't get billed I don't care.

I wonder if Fed Ex and retailers have some sort of agreement or whatever so they cover a loss like this. I guess if it happens enough then FedEx or UPS or whatever will look into it as maybe colusion on the driver's part.

When I had Dell deliver my laptop UPS called me the night before, then they rang the bell and I came down and signed for it. But since I only have a bell, no intercom, I have to go to the door. But no one asked me for ID or anything, I just signed for an $800 laptop. I could've been anyone who got to the door first.

Makes me wonder if these losses happen so infrequently the companies or FedEx, UPS, etc can just eat the losses
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM

I've had the same issue with Fed Ex. A few years ago and not the holiday season, I had just gotten out of the hospital and needed medication that came in a hyperdermic and could not be gotten in a local pharmacy. It had to be delivered. I needed it for 6 weeks and the pharmacy would only delivery a 2 weeks' supply at one time.

You guessed it. The Fed Ex guy rang the bell once and by the time I got down 3 flights of stairs, I was seeing his tail lights. He left it outside the door of a 3-story apartment building. At least he rang the bell. After the first time I called Fed Ex and explained the situation. They were leaving crucial (to me) and dangerous (to someone else if they used it) drugs outside unattended. Despite the huge sticker on the box for the next delivery that said NOT to leave the package unattended, the driver did it again for the next 2 deliveries. Good thing I'm not on this medication permanently.

It drives me crazy. Kids could have gotten a hold of this medication with dire consequences to them if they decided to experiment.

NEVER had any issues with UPS. The guy always rings the bell or comes directly to the door. If he doesn't get an answer, he leaves the notice and I get online and pick up the package at the local consolidation center or he re-delivers. Yayyyyyy, UPS!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

USPS and UPS leave packages on my front porch all the time. Nothing's ever stolen. Depending on my mailman and if I have a dog or two out, they may leave a note to pick it up at the post office because of the dogs. My regular mail lady carries dog treats and pets all my dogs before leaving packages. The FedEx driver that stopped the other day was telling me how much she liked my dogs, and that she has german shepherds. I live in the country, and most people have dogs, and very little is stolen.

StG
Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I had a similar issue last year, but with the post office. The box wouldn't fit in my mailbox so she put it on top, but I had been home all day. Surprise surprise somebody stole it.

I called to complain and the helpful idiot on the line patiently explained that it couldn't be stolen because stealing from the mail is a federal crime. No matter how I explained it had been stolen she was insistent that it was illegal.
Wait...so basically she was saying that no one would steal something from the mail because that's illegal...but isn't stealing illegal no matter WHERE you steal from illegal? Not to mention...like that would stop a thief?

Last edited by Guinastasia; 12-21-2009 at 10:17 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm an outlier, because I actually prefer that UPS/FedEx DON'T knock on my door unless they need to see me; I don't want the interruption. But (1) I work at home, and they're usually bringing me work that I'm expecting that day, (2) I'm usually home and right there to see them pull in, (3) like St. Germain, I live in the sticks, so the chance of theft is pretty low, (4) I have an enclosed front porch and standing orders to leave packages inside, so they're not visible from the road, and (5) there are usually two noisy, suspicious dogs in my house, so nobody ever sneaks up on me from outside.

But I understand the frustration of the rest of you.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
What pisses me off the most is when the delivery drivers hit the bell/knock then freakin' disappear before I can get the door open. Even if I'm standing less than 10 feet away from the door in the living room, they must just slap that "delivery attempted" notice up, >bong<, and flee. It's even more annoying when my disabled husband has to hobble to the door, just no chance he'll get there in time.
Or when they do NOT attempt that at all. Once I saw the mail truck coming, saw it leaving, went to the mail table (apartment building), got the "we tried to deliver" notice, called Mail to ask when could I come pick it up... turns out it wasn't even in the delivery truck! My package was at the Post Office, I could come pick it up now.

As delivery attempts go, I found that one kind of interesting, but at least the lady at the Post Office had a good story: since those apartment buildings can be pretty confusing, some of the drivers just leave the notice rather than spend half an hour trying to locate someone who's home and who can point them to the right apartment, in which there probably isn't anybody anyway. Makes sense (a lot more than dropping the package on the table), but they may want to use a different kind of notice.

I've had similar stories in other places, but without the explanation. There's a mailwoman my mother loves because if she has something too big for the mailbox, or which needs your signature, she will go up to the flat rather than drop a notice. Every other mailman in town just drops a notice in the mailbox.

Last edited by Nava; 12-21-2009 at 10:27 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 PM
born to be shunned

In our neighborhood packages have gone walking so often that UPS will not drop-deliver unless it
1) fits inside the screen door
2) someone answers the door.
I don't know if businesses shipping here get charged extra for that or not. Our front doors are basically on the sidewalk, what porches we have narrow and exposed. It gets frustrating sometimes actually. Even though I've never lost one myself, the usual phone call goes like this "I'm sorry sir ----- you have to be home, you have to pick it up at our distribution center, or you have to have it returned. You cannot just sign and leave the slip for us - you must physically be there."
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 AM

What I think is interesting is that on the UPS site, the "Proof of Delivery" link consists of the ship date, the delivery date, and a bit of other information that proves...nothing. The location even says "FRT PORCH", as if they left it on my porch - unfortunately, I live in an apartment building, with no front porch in sight. Does saying they left it on a nonexistent porch really count as proof of delivery?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:58 AM

I guess I've been lucky so far. FedEx delivers a box of medicine for me once a month. They do the same thing, just drop it off and leave. The retail cost of it is around $1800. Amazing that they don't send it signature required.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 AM

I rarely get anything from FedEx, but round here UPS doesn't bother to knock/ring the doorbell or leave the package. They just come by and leave the "delivery attempt failed" notice and leave. Doesn't matter that I'm home sitting there waiting for it, it would just be too much work if they actually had to deliver the package themselves instead of forcing me to go pick it up.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:47 AM

Same situation for me last week.

It was the first time I received a package via FedEx. I was tracking it online and noticed it said it was on the truck. At this point I was waiting for the bell to ring throughout the afternoon. Come several hours later I decide to check the site again and it said it was delivered and left at the door... the package was still there, luckily.

If you're gonna bring it to the door, and not require a signature, at least have the courtesy to ring the doorbell to let us know to check the door. The truck is loud and all, but it isn't the only truck on the road, and the doorbell or a few knocks is a bit louder anyway. It isn't that much effort.

Last edited by EpicNonsense; 12-22-2009 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 AM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
So, wait. "Signature required" actually just means "ring the doorbell" now?
No, it means "Leave an "Attempted Delivery" notice" now. See next quote and response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
I rarely get anything from FedEx, but round here UPS doesn't bother to knock/ring the doorbell or leave the package. They just come by and leave the "delivery attempt failed" notice and leave. Doesn't matter that I'm home sitting there waiting for it, it would just be too much work if they actually had to deliver the package themselves instead of forcing me to go pick it up.
If they are going to just warehouse the packages until someone goes and picks up those packages, they shouldn't advertise themselves as being delivery services, but as shipping and warehousing services. If I send something to my parents, I want it delivered to my parents' house, I don't want my 78 year old dad to have to come into town. My mother cannot drive. Usually my sister takes them on errands on the weekend, or after work, but she can't pick stuff up during the week without taking time off of work.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
As delivery attempts go, I found that one kind of interesting, but at least the lady at the Post Office had a good story: since those apartment buildings can be pretty confusing, some of the drivers just leave the notice rather than spend half an hour trying to locate someone who's home and who can point them to the right apartment, in which there probably isn't anybody anyway. Makes sense (a lot more than dropping the package on the table), but they may want to use a different kind of notice.
And that is why god invented APARTMENT NUMBERS ..... I have lived in some very scummy places [13th Bay st, Norfolk ... ] and never had an apartment that did not have numbers or a letter on the door.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 AM

My dog HATES the delivery guys...mainly, I think, because they do run up, drop the box, and run away. She must think they're up to something. We always know when they're here because she goes insane, growling and leaping at the window. Of course, out here in the boonies, no body would steal it, although there might be a raccoon sitting on it by the time I find it.....
Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 AM

Quite honestly your beef, as you've probably realized by now, is not with FedEx but with the shipper. It is an option and you can request signature required on your deliverys.

That being said, I've had the same thing happen to me. In the two occassions, the next day the package was dropped off by a neighbor. The FedEx guy delivered to the wrong address.

MeanJoe
Old 12-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Whenever either the USPS or UPS leaves a package on my front stoop, they always ring the doorbell and skedaddle. The UPS driver often picks up my welcome mat and drapes it over the package, which actually does a pretty fair job of camouflaging it when viewed from the street.

As far as I know, nothing's ever gone missing, although on more than one occasion I've ordered something and then forgotten all about ordering it, which leads to a lovely Xmas-in-September (or whenever) feeling. I suppose one of those could have been stolen -- how would I ever know?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Smart, Hip, Dipstick

Reason #73 why I love working from home.

Every time I hear a large truck pull up near my house I take a peek to see if it's a UPS/Fed-Ex truck, and if so, if they have something for me. Most of the time it's for my neighbor across the street, and it blows me away how little effort they put into letting you know they've dropped off a package.

<knock>

That's the extent of it. Every time -- they drop the package in front of the door, give give the door exactly one knock (and I've even seem them miss before -- how you can try to knock on a door and miss is beyond me), and then sprint back to the truck. Ok, I get it -- timetables, strict schedules, all that. But nobody, no how, is going to answer a door that gets one knock. That noise could've been anything. It takes quite literally one second to give a quick three or four knocks -- fricking do it already.

One good thing about it is it brings the neighborhood a bit closer together. Since there's no way my neighbor is going to realize he has a package at his door from that, I call him up and let him know it's there.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 AM

I always use my work address for deliveries. Either I or someone else is here to sign for it, and they stop daily with business related stuff anyway.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Recently UPS left a large box on my front porch. Nobody would have been home at the time.

The package was not for me or for my tenant. The street address was not even remotely similar either, but it was for an adress about a block and a half away, and I was slightly acquainted with the person it was intended for. I called her and told her, and she called UPS and read them the riot act. They came back and picked it up, and got it to where it was supposed to go.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM

I live in an apartment complex where packages can be delivered to the office.

So Saturday, I'm sitting around all day, waiting for my speakers to arrive. 4:30 PM I check the door. Nothing. The tracking says FedEx has it on the truck and it should be delivered today.

A while goes by, no knock at the door, and 5:15 rolls around. Getting impatient and thinking I "may have heard something", I open the door and there's a "package delivered to office" slip on my door. Never received any kind of knock. The office closes at 5:00, I remember, but at least opens the next day (Sunday) at noon. I check the tracking online and what time was the package delivered? Why, 4:58 PM!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:38 PM

I've told my annoying UPS story before, so I'll save it.

But this thread reminds me of a truly clueless item delivery. A friend of a friend made her a sweater as a surprise gift. There was no particular gift giving occasion, it was just something nice she wanted to do. The friend was not at home when the FOAF dropped by unannounced to give her the sweater. So she decided to leave in the vestibule of the apartment building. Not packaged, not labelled, nothing.

She was later really pissed that friend never got it. Yes, she actually expected friend to notice a sweater on the vestibule floor and say "Oh, how nice! Mary knitted me a sweater! I must send a thank-you card!"
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks for reminding me why I love my apartment building. There's staff in the office all day while I'm gone at work, who take packages for residents and then hold them in the office, or leave them outside your door (and I've seen plenty in the halls without hearing of any getting stolen), or leave them inside your apartment, per your preference.

Much better than the last place, where after I pre-ordered an album by one of my favorite artists, the delivery driver "attempted delivery" three times, all while my roomate was home but she never heard the buzzer once, which meant I had to go on a long bus ride down to the facility by the airport, on a cold and rainy night. Believe you me, I gave a manager an earful of exactly what I thought about that driver's qualifications.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

I have left large notes taped to the door asking that all packages be dropped at the office. Still getting them left on the stoop. So far only one book, under $20 from amazon was stolen. However, they left the $2,500 computer, which clearly says signature required, on the stoop. I thought about claiming it was stolen, just to make the point, but I'm too honest a person.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 AM

I have a standing sign on my door that says Fedex/UPS, HAPU (Hold for pickup). If I'm home I leave the porch door unlocked with a note to put it inside the door.

My postal carrier puts stuff inside the door and rings the bell. Note to self, tip postal guy.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
Quite honestly your beef, as you've probably realized by now, is not with FedEx but with the shipper. It is an option and you can request signature required on your deliverys.
Maybe not.
I lived in a neighborhood where anything out front was apparently private property. I would put "leave at back door" (btw: the back door was accessable) on every shipment. I think one time it actually left there instead of my front door.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
No, not really. Not having a signature required is an issue with the shipper, but FedEx and other delivery drivers not even bothering to ring a doorbell is a distinct carrier issue.

Just dropping items on porches or in vestibules without any concern for what happens after the fact is ridiculous in itself, but to drop the item without even bothering to do the most trifling thing to announce the presence of said item, something that would take a whole whopping second of their time, is contemptible. They're enabling criminals and inconveniencing customers and costing thousands (if not more) of other people's dollars.

If the quota for the day is 100 deliveries and it takes a second to ring a doorbell, even 2 seconds, at each stop, that's not even four extra minutes in the day. That's not the time it would take to make an additional delivery. That's negligible, not in the least bit onerous. That the carriers want to pretend that it's more than their drivers are capable of doing is patent hogwash.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:03 AM

With the holiday season and living in the boonies, we've gotten a lot of deliveries. Please note: There is always someone home.

It is like an Easter Egg hunt. Locations packages have been left in:

In front of the garage (not visible from front door)
Back porch
In the front seat of a car.
Next to a car
Behind a car

Places packages have not been left:
Front door.

We didn't know for 2 weeks we had a delivery because we never use the back door. The goats found it and were playing with it. Thankfully, my daughter is only 4 and while is a big fan of presents, is a little vague as to where and why she could/should get them.

Last edited by Auntbeast; 12-23-2009 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: I should make a graphjam
Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 AM

I do so much of my shopping online that there's practically a caravan route for the FedEx, UPS and the USPS package delivery guys to my door.

I'm not surprised that most deliverymen who even bother knocking/ringing the bell only wait 30 seconds or so... Because I'm sure 90% of the time or more, there's nobody home. After all, for the most part they are delivering things to people's homes during business hours (M-F 9-5pm), and most people in my neighborhood have left for work and won't be back until at least 6pm.

The "signature required" stuff ends up with me getting three sticky notes on my door and an eventual trip to the post office or to the FedEx or UPS depot to pick my package up. My local Post Office is less than a mile away (I could walk there in about 15 minutes) and is open on Saturdays until 3pm, and FedEx has a dropoff/pickup location less than ten blocks away from the Post Office that's open until 7:30pm on weeknights and also on weekends. UPS, on the other hand, has only one huge central depot which is about 20 minutes away from me with good traffic, always has a long line of people (typically a 20-30 minute wait), only lets people in until 5pm on weekdays and isn't open on weekends: I end up having to take time off from work to get a package, or have it sent to my office.

As a result, I always pick the "leave at (back) door" option if possible for UPS deliveries. (About a quarter of the time they leave it out front anyway, inside my storm door.) Important packages, or very expensive stuff like jewelry, I have delivered to my office, or I try to specify FedEx (not UPS) delivery and then ask for depot pickup only.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 AM

This is why I have packages delivered to me at work.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I can deal with the dropped-on-the-porch bullshit out of necessity, but I went ballistic the day I took a day off from work to wait on a delivery, and watched the status go from "out for delivery" to "delivery attempt made, nobody home" when evening rolled around. (Nobody knocked, no delivery notice was left, and nobody had called from the gate to ask me to let them in.)

I must have sounded rather angry when I called to complain, because they had the driver return with my package.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post
This is why I have packages delivered to me at work.
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one.