The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

View Poll Results: What would you do about Pandora?
Pay 99 cents to hear free music for the rest of December 1 2.56%
Pay $36 for a full year 8 20.51%
Wait till December's over and listen in Jan for FREE 17 43.59%
Ignore it--I don't care about Pandora 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM

Worth it to pay for Pandora?

It says I'm coming across the last of my free hours, which sucks.

Apparently I can pay $36 hours for full access or 99 cents for something else...not sure what, but I'm just pissed at having to pay at all. What do you guys think? I do love finding out about new music.

Quote:
1. Pay 99 cents. Once you reach Pandora's free monthly listening limit, the music will stop and you will be presented with an option to pay just 99 cents to continue unlimited listening for the rest of December. This is a one-time fee which requires a credit card, and it does not recur automatically.

2. Pay $36 to upgrade to Pandora One. For unlimited monthly listening as well as other cool features, you can upgrade to Pandora One for $36 per year.
What would you guys do?
Advertisements  
Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM

I listen to Pandora all day long at work... I figure it's easily worth 36 bucks a year.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
WretchAwry
Charter Member

Ha, Avatar on the brain. I thought this was a thread about whether or not it was worth paying for Avatar just to see the world of Pandora (the answer is Yes).

Don't know about the music service.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM

I say pay for the year. I love that so many awesome sites on the internet are free, but I've always felt that if there is a site that I really, truly enjoy and use often, it's worth it or me to pay for whatever upgrades might be offered. And maybe help to keep the place up and running.

I'd used Audioscrobbler and Last.fm for a couple of years for free, then became a subscriber because I found myself on the site almost daily. So I've been a subscriber for a few years now and I've been happy with it. It's about the same as Pandora - $33 a year, but I've used both and I've found Last.fm to be a better experience than Pandora for me.

Anyway, short answer - yea, it's worth it if you use it a lot, which it sounds like you do.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:39 PM

If this is just a test to see how many people they can get to pay for it, then I'm skipping to show that I don't want to have to pay for it and that I'll go elsewhere if I do. I like Pandora alright, but their song list is pretty limited (I get it, you think that Weezer, The Beatles, and Nirvana=The White Stripes) and I don't know that it's worth paying for. If I were going to pay for streaming, I'd have an XM account.

If this is their ultimate trend then I'll just end up with Last.fm all the time instead of half the time.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Meh. If there were a way to never play certain bands but still play bands that are like those bands, then I'd pay money for that. All the variants of Pandora or Pandora-like web stations would pound you in the head with your seed choices, which I already own or they wouldn't be my seed choices. I listen to radio stations mostly to discover new music (and thus hardly listen to it at all.)

If there have only been about 3 songs on the radio that I neither got tired of nor liked so much that I bought (and thus didn't want to hear on the radio anymore,) why think I would enjoy the same experience online?

Frankly, I get much more musical variety just putting my MP-3 collection on shuffle than I get with Pandora.

It's not like it isn't a viable solution (to be able to eliminate bands or songs from playing while still having them as a seed.) I rarely listen to Pandora or its variants and I certainly won't pay until this is fixed.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun View Post
If this is just a test to see how many people they can get to pay for it, then I'm skipping to show that I don't want to have to pay for it and that I'll go elsewhere if I do. I like Pandora alright, but their song list is pretty limited (I get it, you think that Weezer, The Beatles, and Nirvana=The White Stripes) and I don't know that it's worth paying for. If I were going to pay for streaming, I'd have an XM account.

If this is their ultimate trend then I'll just end up with Last.fm all the time instead of half the time.
Are Last.fm and XM similar to Pandora?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Last.fm is basically the same idea, the mechanics and presentation are a bit different, but overall it's "you tell it what you like, it spits back out music" like Pandora is.

XM is not anything like either, but it is streaming radio that will help me get my death metal fix over the Iphone without using up precious hard drive space.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 PM

In that you can make your own station, I'm not sure.

I don't pay for it. And their paying scheme is weird... so if every month someone pays 99 cents, they'll be paying about a third of what the person who paid $36 for unlimited time did...

Unless the Pandora One is vastly different from their regular Pandora.

For my tastes, I don't pay it.

I've found other sites that do cater to some of the music I listen the most (Spanish/Portuguese). And those are still free.

What good is coolness, when you cannot listen to what you enjoy the most?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Last.fm is basically the same idea, the mechanics and presentation are a bit different, but overall it's "you tell it what you like, it spits back out music" like Pandora is.

XM is not anything like either, but it is streaming radio that will help me get my death metal fix over the Iphone without using up precious hard drive space.
Does it actually play the music, like Pandora, or does it just tell you similar songs?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 PM

I listen pretty much every day at work and started paying by the year. It's easily worth it.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Am I understanding correctly that you could just pay 99 cents each month to listen for the rest of the month unlimited? If so, what's the incentive to pay $36 a year?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Last.fm makes one big station based off of your input instead of making lots of little ones. It does indeed play the music, and everything you listen to ends up in your "library" so you can go back and listen to it again if you like to, and it makes suggestions of new songs based off of what you've been listening to. You can also select artists and genres and "play" those "stations" so you can just put in, say, "Santana" and it goes off and plays music for you based on that.

It's free and really easy, give it a look and see what you think.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Am I understanding correctly that you could just pay 99 cents each month to listen for the rest of the month unlimited? If so, what's the incentive to pay $36 a year?
I was kind of wondering that myself--I think the "other features" are maybe fewer ads? HATE those.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
If I understand it correctly the $36 account lets you have unlimited skips and stations, while the $.99 one limits you to the 5 or so skips per hour per station and I think 100 total stations.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
If I understand it correctly the $36 account lets you have unlimited skips and stations, while the $.99 one limits you to the 5 or so skips per hour per station and I think 100 total stations.
Unlimited skips?! THE POWER! THE POOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWER!!!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Unlimited skips... so that you can go back to the same 200 or so it seems to repeat daily?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Seconding what KarlGrenze said. They seem to replay the same songs over and over an awful lot. I listen to it all day as well, and if I had a penny for every song I heard repeated on a day to day basis....yeah.
I wouldn't pay. There are better sites out there (Like Nutsie).
Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM

Nutsie? I'm...scared and intrigued.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM

I loved it at first, but their library for long term listening isn't very deep. Their library seems populated with "greatest hits" selections and singles. The more you fine tune your playlist seeds, the more restrictive and repetitive it becomes. You would never know, for example, that Bjork really has more than 3 songs. No amount of listening will ever let you discover that obscure import EP, or that rare John Peel BBC session.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 PM

(If you make a new account with another email address and start using that before you run out of hours on the first account, you can get another 40 hours, FYI.)
Old 12-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGrenze View Post
Unlimited skips... so that you can go back to the same 200 or so it seems to repeat daily?
That's my problem with Pandora. I like it well enough, but I don't use it as often as I would like to, since I very rarely seem to hear new music anymore. I have something like 25-30 stations ranging from rap to 60s R&B to indie to post-punk to classical, and even if I select "Quick Mix," I swear it seems like I hear the same damned songs over and over again. Frankly, I prefer to stream Internet radio over Pandora, because it has a better chance of introducing me to bands I've never heard before, or deeper cuts off artists I like.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM

I think your last sentence is my general feeling, too.

I love Pandora, but for most of my musical tastes, Pandora until fairly recently didn't even had a selection, and now that it does, it can be fairly limited.

I have a very eclectic radio station, and I do like that Pandora has introduced me to music. Yet, once introduced to that, or once I add variety to the station, it seems I get the same cuts repeated over and over, even though I know (and the freaking system should know) I have other songs.

I think something about it is the rating system... either you like it or not. Yahoo Music (up until about a year and a half ago) had a decent, similar system... only this time, you got to rate the music (don't play, and one stars to five stars)... I KNEW that the songs that played constantly, sometimes more than once daily, where the once rated five stars... The ones with three stars? maybe a couple times a week...
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGrenze View Post

I think something about it is the rating system... either you like it or not. Yahoo Music (up until about a year and a half ago) had a decent, similar system... only this time, you got to rate the music (don't play, and one stars to five stars)... I KNEW that the songs that played constantly, sometimes more than once daily, where the once rated five stars... The ones with three stars? maybe a couple times a week...
I started with Launchcast somewhere around 1999 or 2000. It was free then, with unlimited skips. At that time you could rate using a percentage. Then they started limiting skips. Somewhere along the way Yahoo Music bought them out and it sucked for a while. Then Yahoo straightened it back out. It was never as good as it was in the old days, but it was still something I was willing to pay about $30 per year for. I started paying because I had reached my max listening time a couple of months in a row. I could still listen, but couldn't skip. As with Pandora, a subscription bought unlimited time and no ads. It also bought unlimited skips. Like KarlGrenze said, it was repetitive, but I chose what was repeated.

The problem for me with Pandora is that whatever qualities they use to match up music are vastly different from the qualities I'm interested in. It also plays Seether and Puddle of Mudd on my Gary Allan station. I don't understand that. Last night, I had it play two songs in a row by the same artist, only to change the station and have it do the same thing with another artist. If I wanted to hear that, I'd just listen to a cd.

I reached max listening time on Pandora once. I didn't pay. Even though I sometimes listen a lot, it has never been something I value enough to pay for. I was spoiled with the original Launchcast. If there is something out there as good as Launchcast, or even the Yahoo Music it became, I'd be willing to pay again. But never for Pandora as it currently exists.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Before my work place blocked Pandora, I was hitting my 40 free hours about 1 week into the month. I debated on paying $36 for the year, but I decided it wasn't worth it and started just paying the $.99 for the rest of the month.

If you pay the $36 you get a desktop application you can use instead of using your browser. Also, it supposedly streams in higher quality, but I doubt you'd be able to tell much difference. You do get unlimited skips per day (as opposed to the normal 12 per day max), but you still have a max of 6 skips per hour.

The no ads feature is probably the best reason to pay, but even then $36 is a bit much. I usually go fairly long stretches of time between ads, and they are only 30 seconds long after all.

Oh also, you know how if you don't click something after like 15 minutes they pause the music? They extend it to 5 hours. So that's pretty cool if you like to turn it on and go do something else.

All good features, but that's still a bit much to pay for something that's almost as good for basically pocket change.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
What would you guys do?
I'd save a buck or 36 and just go listen to CBC Radio 3 for the rest of the month to peep and eaves D some new music.

Last edited by devilsknew; 12-22-2009 at 10:22 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri65 View Post
The problem for me with Pandora is that whatever qualities they use to match up music are vastly different from the qualities I'm interested in. It also plays Seether and Puddle of Mudd on my Gary Allan station.
I think that the music genome project has a few bugs in it, that's for sure. I have a few stations that I can honestly say that Pandora has no idea what to play. Those stations get the most random songs popping up, which is just Pandora speak for "I will give you something I know until you give me a thumbs up and I can pigeon hole you on this one".
Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post

The no ads feature is probably the best reason to pay,
Ad Block Plus is free.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:02 AM

I got fed up with Pandora's antics a little while back... Moved on to Grooveshark and haven't looked back. Content is user generated (uploaded), like YouTube, but the number of songs is already staggering.

The 'radio' function mimics Pandora's, continually playing songs similar to your seed(s) and (thumbed up) songs.

It's not U.S.-only, to boot.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Grooveshark is cool, but there's not an app for that, and I primarly use the streaming services on my phone. I could just use Safari to access it, but still, I want an app first.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Grooveshark does look cool, but you have to pay for the desktop app and no ads (like Pandora), so not really a big reason to change. The "suggestions" also seem much more random.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew View Post
I'd save a buck or 36 and just go listen to CBC Radio 3 for the rest of the month to peep and eaves D some new music.
Or you could pay $20 for Station Ripper and have it record MP3s from CBC Radio 3 and a dozens of other internet radio stations for you like one of the digital radio services offers as a feature too. (CBC Radio 3 is one of the stations I record!)
Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Still not sure what I'll do but thanks for mentioning all the alternative sites, guys. I'll try to check those out and see if I like any of them as much as Pandora.