All is forgiven. McGwire admitted using steroids

Mark McGwire shocked the baseball world by admitting using steroids and HGH for a decade. He says he regrets he played during the steroids era. So now we can all forgive him. Next year it is the H.O.F…

Got a link?

First Palin ends up on Fox ‘News’ and now this. My entire world-view is being shaken to its core!

If someone tells me the Pope is Catholic I’m just going to shit!

Linky

Used roids and HGH “on occasion” for most of the 90’s. This should end any HOF aspirations, if the writers don’t have their heads up their @sses.

I guess after four years of trying the “do nothing and hope my Hall votes increase” strategy, he’s finally embraced the Andy Pettitte Approach.

His timing is good: right after failing to get into the Hall, even with ten more votes. It provides a whole year for people to get used to it.

And all across the nation arose a great cry of “No shit!”

In the long run it’s more likely to help him than hurt him. For four years he’s gotten about 23 percent of the vote and everybody knew he did steroids, so he was not going to get in by himself. If he shows people he’s sorry and takes some steps to rehabilitate his image, he could get more support. He may not get into the hall, but he wasn’t going to get in anyway.

I disagree that it’ll end his chances - it should only improve them. People can forgive, but they can’t do that if you remain silent. There was talk by LaRussa of letting him pinch hit at some point this season, putting his HOF candidacy on hold for 5 years so this whole era can be put into a bit more historical context. Frankly, I don’t see that as a bad idea at all.

Where, though? Because I’ve heard that … gasp … Bears shit in the woods!!!

Why? Either he cheated or he didn’t. And he did. Voting on it 5 years from now shouldn’t make a difference at all.

What I mean is it should be obvious that he in no way belongs in the Hall. The only reason to put him there would his 563 career HR and his '98 season, both of which now are known to be inflated. By comparison, Bonds should still go in since even if you discount his numbers from 98 on ('98 is when he’s alleged to have started the juice), he’s still a HOF’er. If you discount McGwire’s numbers post 93, he’s Cecil Fielder. maybe even worse, since his career may well have been over in the mid 90’s.

Maybe it shouldn’t, but that doesn’t mean it won’t. And he wouldn’t be on the ballot as the unrepentant cheater who wouldn’t admit anything. To tell you the truth I don’t know why “I’m not here to talk about the past” hurt him so much. He wouldn’t admit the obvious truth, but at least he took the session seriously enough that he wouldn’t lie about what he did, unlike Palmeiro and Sosa.

Because it’s becoming more and more apparent that nearly *everyone *cheated. The more we learn how pervasive the abuse was, the less egregious the violation was. Because at what point do you discount his accomplishments? What if every single one of his homeruns were against pitchers who were also juicing? What if it’s revealed that Selig knew about the situation and didn’t do anything? How can it really be against the rules if the commissioner said it was okay?

I never cared to begin with. They did it to themselves, and they and they alone have to live with the physical aftermath of their decisions. Since he did nothing unusual for that era and broke no rules in effect at the time, I think he should have been put in on the first ballot. I also think that this is manufactured outrage and has been from the get-go, as evidenced by attendance numbers and their increase since 1994. People had the opportunity to vote with their feet and chose to go to the ballpark.

That’s a ridiculous idea. He’s been retired for 5 years. Unless he can still belt the ball - which I doubt - he’s got no business stepping onto a baseball diamond, except wearing his coaching hat.

Not that I give two shits about the purity of baseball - just that that would be too much.

I don’t think the playing field was so uneven that allowing admitted steroid users in invalidates the Hall of Fame. If you remember from the last round, there were a bunch of small guys on the user list. Size and home runs alone are not an indicator of usage. It was pervasive, and while I have no proof, I’m fairly certain baseball management, maybe even up to the commissioner, turned a blind eye to the situation as long as it was putting asses every 18".

What gets me the most is the constant need for sports hacks to finally get a guy to say, “Yes, I did them.” Does it matter? So many of that era will be tainted regardless of what they say. Let’s suppose that Sammy Sosa and David Ortiz really didn’t juice. Will anyone believe them? Players are now damned if they did and damned if they didn’t. It’s a no-win situation for them. Even now, there are so many designer PEDs that can slip through testing that the smart athlete (an oxymoron most of the time) can continue to use and not get picked up on the tests, and last I heard HGH still isn’t testable. The best a player can hope for is that he is never linked with a PED investigation or usage.

Yup - lots and lots of middle relievers, who completely rely on their ability to heal/recover quickly from muscle strain. There are a lot of medical experts advocating for the allowed limited use of steroids to recover from injury in baseball (and other professional sports).

I don’t really understand what the story is here. didn’t he admit to using Andro years ago? Is it that he’s admitted to using other forms of steroid?

<3 <3 He’ll always be my favorite player regardless. <3 <3

McGwire admitted to using an over-the-counter supplement that, if I recall the story correctly, was banned in football but not baseball.

Seems I was right, here’s the wiki:

I vote we strike McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds from the record books. The last guys we’re sure were clean are Roger Marris and Hank Aaron, so let the records revert to 61 for a season, and 755 for a career.