How does checking out eBooks from the library work?

I have noticed that many libraries offer eBooks for checking out. This would seem like a HUGE benefit of having an book reader, although it appears that the many of the eBook formats that library’s use are not supported by Amazon’s Kindle.

For those that have done it, how does checking an eBook out from a library work? Do the rights to read it have a limited life? Do you have to return it electronically? Just curious about the ins and outs and how publisher’s rights are protected.

I have no experience, so I’m just going to go with some WAG until someone with actual knowledge comes along.

You check the book out and it downloads to your device with a built in expiration date. When it’s downloaded to you the license in the library database gets flagged as in use until the expiration date.

The library will have purchased x number of licenses which will restrict the number they will be able to check out at one time.

I’m sure there will be some provision to allow you to check the book back in early releasing the license for the next patron that wants it.

Projammer pretty much nailed it. You can read the book for whatever period you check it out for – my local library network offers 7-day, 14-day and 21-day checkouts. They offer books in PDF, Mobipocket, and ePub formats; you can return PDF and ePub books early but not Mobipocket books. (They also offer audiobooks, which is what I mostly use it for, but they do have a significant number of ebooks.) After the checkout period is up, you don’t have to return the book; your license to read it simply expires and the library’s “available copies” count goes back up by one.

You can read Mobipocket books on a Kindle, but you need to run a special utility first, to find out your kindle’s “PID” code to allow you to checkout books that can be read on it. Then you can just put them on there and read them. You can also read ePub books if you have Calibre, which can convert ePub to PDF.

Most of the library ebook/e-audiobook setups I’ve seen, including my current library’s, are powered by Overdrive, so this info may be different for some libraries if they don’t use Overdrive as their supplier.

Anyway … it’s pretty darn cool.

Do you have to go to the physical library to get them, or are they downloaded anywhere? This is the first thing that has made me want to get an e-book reader.

They’re accessible anywhere, via the library’s web site. You just enter your library card number and your zip code (in our library’s version) and you can download from anywhere. You just have to come in to the library once a year and show ID to prove that you still live in the library district.

The Chicago Public Library has ebooks as well as videos (usually National Geographic Documentaries) and books on tape you can download.

Depending on the download, you get right. Most of the Windows Media is DRM (digital rights management) attached. On the DRM it says “This is valid till XXX date.”

I tried some experiements with these, here’s what I got.

First of all when you check out an item you check it out using a piece fo software. In this case the CPL uses “Overdrive.”

If I check out a ebook, book on tape, or whatever with DRM it goes into a designated folder. You can make anyone up. Let’s say the book is due on January 15, 2010.

On January 16th the files will still be in the folder, in fact the files will stay in the designated folder until the next time you log into the “Overdrive” software used by the CPL. Then you get a notice saying the files are being deleted, and they are gone.

Which leaves the question, what if I copy the files or move them to another folder. In that case the files don’t get deleted automatically. You still get the notice saying the items are being deleted but unless they’re in the same folder you downloaded them into, nothing happens

Of course since they have DRM you can’t play them anymore.

Now the CPL also offers mp3 and other such things that aren’t DRM. What happens in that case. I tried this, I took a non DRM mp3 book and moved it. When it was due, I got the notice saying the book was being returned and the files deleted. But since I moved the files they weren’t deleted, and since there was no DRM on them, I could still listen to them. Of course I deleted them after the experiement :slight_smile:

You can get around certain things. Like on ebook had DRM WMA but the rights management said, “Can download to iPod.” Since WMA must be converted to m4a or mp3 to be played on an iPod, once that book was checked back in, I still had the files.

Your library card limits the number of things you can have checked out at once. In the CPL’s case it’s six items and you can’t check them in early. The website confirms this saying, you have to wait for their due dates. But when you go to check the item out, it gives you options of 1, 2 or 3 week checkouts.

Pretty cools system in all.

I am also trying downloadable books for the first time. I just got my first MP3 player for Christmas, so I don’t know dick about that either.
My husband downloaded an audiobook from the library and put it onto my iTouch for me (after a titanic struggle). Now I am wondering what happens to it when the book is due in two weeks, because I may not be done listening.

So if I understand you correctly, the book is in iTunes on my husband’s laptop. In a couple of weeks, when the license expires, I won’t be able to download it from there anymore. But it’s okay, because it’s on my iTouch already. I can keep it there as long as I have to.

But what if I connect my iTouch to iTunes for some reason? When it synchs, would it destroy the copy of the book which is on the Touch?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me understand this (use little words)!