The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 PM

Pop Songs Only You Remember

I am surprised that serious Chicago fans do not remember "Harry Truman". I believe it appears on Chicago VIII, and was popular c. mid-1970's. Also, no one remembers "Leave the Bones for Henry Jones" from the 1960s, I believe. Recently, a version appeared on a Dr. John CD. Last, it seems to be a Baltimore thing that "Billy Don't Be a Hero" was released by Paper Lace instead of the more nationally known version by Vanity Fare (I think). [Paper Lace gave us "The Night Chicago Died".]

So, what songs does it seem only you know?

Last edited by Jinx; 01-29-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Last, it seems to be a Baltimore thing that "Billy Don't Be a Hero" was released by Paper Lace instead of the more nationally known version by Vanity Fare (I think). [Paper Lace gave us "The Night Chicago Died".]
Billy Don't Be a Hero, was released by Paper Lace in April of 74 it only got as high as #93

It was also released by Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods (not Vanity Fair ) the same month April of '74. This went to #1.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
BANNED

Harry Truman went to #13 in Feb of 1975

I recall a song called Save the Bones for Henry Jones but this was done in the 40s by several different artists. I checked my CDs and the Pointer Sisters did it on their album Steppin'
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

How about Patches by Dickey Lee? It only went as high as #6 in 1962 and I never, ever hear anybody mention it in real life or online.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

This is effin' freaky. I remember a song that played on the radio many years ago, a Tex Ritter song written by Shel Silverstein called "Comin' After Jinny." I've never heard of anyone who's ever heard of it. And this week, someone uploade the song to youtube. (I actually have the 45, but I can't take credit for youtube.)
Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
How about Patches by Dickey Lee? It only went as high as #6 in 1962 and I never, ever hear anybody mention it in real life or online.
Back in the day...it was the very first song I downloaded from Napster (before it was known by the general public to be illegal). I also played it for my friends (who had never heard of it) in high school...I had a cassette that I had recorded from an old 45 of my mother's. I only just recently made sure it was transferred over to my new iPod.

Last edited by MitzeKatze; 01-29-2010 at 07:46 PM..
Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea by the Four Lads.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I remember dozens. They include:

"Guys are Not Proud" by the Anemic Boyfriend(s)
"Strike a Match and Light Another" by Cat Mother and the All Night Newboys
"Wasted Union Blues" by It's a Beautiful Day
"Back When My Hair Was Short" by Gun Hill Road (both the original and the rewritten one that hit the charts
"House in the Country," "Just One Smile," and "The Modern Day Adventures of Plato, Diogenes, and Freud" by Blood Sweat and Tears.
"Kings and Queens" by Renaissance
"Electric Sailor" by Kak
"Going to Mexico" by the Steve Miller Band
"Boy Soldier" by the Edgar Broughton Band
"Innervenus Eyes" by the Bob Segar System
"Sweet Lady Genevieve" and "Here Comes Flash" by the Kinks.
"I am the Walrus" by Lol Coxhill
"You Know My Name, Look Up the Number" by the Beatles.
"The Relay" by the Who
"Free Four" by Pink Floyd
"Whiskey Woman" and "Rock and Roll Queen" by Mott the Hoople
"Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" by Middle of the Road
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
BANNED

Here's some songs I recall not many people do

If The Love Fits - Leslie Pearl #28 (1982)
I Could Never Miss You (More Than I Do) - Lulu #19 (1981)
Doctor's Orders - Carol Douglas #11 (1974)
Don't Say You Don't Remember - Beverly Bremmers #15 (1971)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 PM

"The Relay" was one of a few Who songs that was not on an album at first so it was kind of obscure. Another example is "Join Together" they both later ended up on compilation albums.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've heard it at least three or four times on the oldies station here in the last year. God, what a ridiculous song, though I'm not sure it's quite as silly as Dickey Lee's "Laurie (Strange Things Happen.)" What was it with that era's teenage tragedy songs?

I wonder if anyone remember's Kon Kan's 1988-9 single "I Beg Your Pardon." I was in 8th grade at the time, and really loved that song for some reason. It reached #15 on Billboard's Hot 100 and #1 Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles sales. But I swear I seem to be the only person who has any memory of that song. I have never heard it on the radio again since that time.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 PM

White Plains "When You Are A King"
Darts "Bones

I almost got to sing "Bones" at an audition as Darts were looking for a replacement for Den Hegarty at the time. Unfortunately it got cancelled so the world of pop was denied my presence...

"Aaaaah aint gonna make no bones... about ma beef with you..."
Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 PM

"Mindbender" by Stillwater
"I Do the Rock" by Tim Curry
"Barroom Buddies" by Clint Eastwood
"I Was Country when Country Wasn't Cool" by Barbara Mandrell
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

I seem to remember a pop song (time frame mid to late 80s -85-87) with the refrain: "diamonds, diamonds are a girl's best friend". I distinctly remember singing along on a bus ride in high school. I do NOT remember it being any sort of remake of the classic "Diamonds are a girl's best friend."

It would have sounded like Pebbles or Lisa Lisa. I can't find this song or anyone else that remembers it!

Last edited by Glory; 01-29-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
I seem to remember a pop song (time frame mid to late 80s -85-87) with the refrain: "diamonds, diamonds are a girl's best friend". I distinctly remember singing along on a bus ride in high school. I do NOT remember it being any sort of remake of the classic "Diamonds are a girl's best friend."

It would have sounded like Pebbles or Lisa Lisa. I can't find this song or anyone else that remembers it!
Herb Alpert featuring Janet Jackson - 'Diamonds', from 1986.

Popular among her fans but otherwise mostly forgotten! It was released on a Janet album for the first time late last year on a hits collection called The Best.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitzeKatze View Post
Back in the day...it was the very first song I downloaded from Napster (before it was known by the general public to be illegal). I also played it for my friends (who had never heard of it) in high school...I had a cassette that I had recorded from an old 45 of my mother's. I only just recently made sure it was transferred over to my new iPod.
This is too cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I've heard it at least three or four times on the oldies station here in the last year. God, what a ridiculous song, though I'm not sure it's quite as silly as Dickey Lee's "Laurie (Strange Things Happen.)" What was it with that era's teenage tragedy songs?
I don't know, but I think there was a whole boatload of them. Besides the one in the OP and this, there was Last Kiss (or was it Last Date?), Leader of the Pack and Tell Laura I Love Her just off the top of my head.

I loved those things.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 PM

"You've Got It All," by the Jetts (Jets?). I've mentioned the refrain from that song many a time to many a person:

"you've got it over him, you've got me over him"

But I only get blank stares. C'mon, I'm not the only who remembers that am I?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 AM

I don't know anyone who remembers"I See the Light" by The Five Americans.

Same for "Live" by The Merry-Go-Round.

And although "Angel of the Morning" is very well-known, nobody seems to remember the original version by Evie Sands, probably because her label went belly-up shortly after its release.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
"I Do the Rock" by Tim Curry
I always enjoyed that song.

Okay, I'll play: What Do All the People Know by the Monroes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2jRez9_mwE

I always found this 80's catchy - it sticks, but not quite enough to be, say, 867-5309/Jenny....
Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is too cool.

I don't know, but I think there was a whole boatload of them. Besides the one in the OP and this, there was Last Kiss (or was it Last Date?), Leader of the Pack and Tell Laura I Love Her just off the top of my head.

I loved those things.
You might enjoy this, then, by the late, great, Steve Goodman. It starts off quite innocently enough, with Born to Be Wild, and quickly descends into dead teenager medley madness with "Teen Angel," "Tell Laura I Love Her," and "Strange Things Happen."
Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is too cool.

I loved those things.
You might enjoy this, then, by the late, great, Steve Goodman. It starts off quite innocently enough, with Born to Be Wild, and quickly descends into dead teenager medley madness with "Teen Angel," "Tell Laura I Love Her," and "Strange Things Happen." How I wish I had been able to see him while he was alive (I was about ten when he passed away.)
Old 01-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Perhaps there's a reason that most people don't remember I Love Onions by Susan Christie, which got as high as 63 on the Billboard charts in 1966. I was nine years old at the time. My mother loved this song.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM

There are lots of songs I remember that no one else (close to me) seems to remember. Sometimes I feel like my childhood was a figment of my imagination. I would really like to see my son's marching band perform Chicago's "Harry Truman" in their marching band show - I think it would be awesome. Does anyone know where to find the sheet music that has all of the original parts?

Last edited by 2xtrouble; 01-30-2010 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-30-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
Billy Don't Be a Hero, was released by Paper Lace in April of 74 it only got as high as #93
I came in to mention this song! Many is the time I've sung a few bars of this and gotten a blank stare in return....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly5078 View Post
I don't know anyone who remembers"I See the Light" by The Five Americans.
I do know this, but from the Nuggets - Psychedlic Artyfacts series.

My contribution:
"Soft Core", Maurice and the Cliches.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 AM

"Peppermint Lump" by Angie with Pete Townshend
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 AM

My absolute favorite pop song EVER is called "True Love" and it's by The Marching Girls, which is a band Brendan Perry was in before Dead Can Dance.

No one in real life ever, ever remembers this song at all. I listened to it constantly throughout the 80s. On the SDMB, I hope, more people will remember this excellent pop-punk song.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 AM

One of the first songs I can clearly remember was "Bermuda" by the Bell Sisters. They recorded that in 1952, but I remember they sang it on what I called the Offy Goffy (Arthur Godfrey) show some years later.

I had a huge, huge stack of old 45's (courtesy of my parents who probably paid 50 cents each for them) I'd play in my room, hour after hour, on my little record player. Here are a few you just don't hear about any more:

Popsicles, Icicles - The Murmaids (1963)
Torture - The Everly Brothers (1964)
The Men In My Little Girl's Life - Mike Douglas (1965)
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Harry Truman - I was all over that song when it was released, thought it was the best thing ever. Still have the album, the one that came with an iron-on Chicago logo (white T shirt not included). Still have the iron-on, too.

Patches - Is that the same as the Clarence Carter song? ("Patches, I'm depending on you son, to pull the family through, my boy, it's all up to you...")

Here are my entries:

"Love on a Two-Way Street" by The Moments
"Timothy" by The Buoys
"Gimme Dat Ding" by The Pipkins
"My Ding-a-Ling" by Chuck Berry
"The Fish Ain't Bitiin'" by Lamont Dozier (complete with references to Tricky Dick)

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 01-30-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
You might enjoy this, then, by the late, great, Steve Goodman. It starts off quite innocently enough, with Born to Be Wild, and quickly descends into dead teenager medley madness with "Teen Angel," "Tell Laura I Love Her," and "Strange Things Happen." How I wish I had been able to see him while he was alive (I was about ten when he passed away.)
Thanks pulykamell. That sounds right up my alley.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:24 AM

"I Beg Your Pardon" by Kon Kan and "Jane's Getting Serious" by Jon Astley.

I loved both of these when they were getting radio play, but you never hear them anymore (except in my car).
Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneyfailure View Post
"You've Got It All," by the Jetts (Jets?). I've mentioned the refrain from that song many a time to many a person:

"you've got it over him, you've got me over him"

But I only get blank stares. C'mon, I'm not the only who remembers that am I?
No, you're not. I remember that, and also the first music video of theirs I saw, Curiosity.

Someone in the comments for "Curiosity" mentioned Rebbie Jackson, Michael's older sister. This reminded me of the only song of hers I remember, Centipede. I doubt many people remember she even had a singing career.

Last edited by Lucky 13; 01-30-2010 at 10:29 AM..
Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 AM

Chevy Van" is a 1973 song written and sung by Sammy Johns. The song was a big hit in 1975, reaching #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart

Celebrated a time when guys drove tricked out vans with wood paneling, lights and bed. Don't come knockin if the vans a hopping. I kept my van for almost 20 years.

still love this song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiEIToOWr64

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-30-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Old 01-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Shock the Monkey by Peter Gabriel was a big hit when I was in middle school. Everyone knew it, it got played relentlessly on the radio. Nowadays, it seems to be forgotten completely. About 10 years ago, I called a DJ and requested it, but the DJ didn't even know of it!

Another oddity is Sally Go 'Round the Roses originally done by a girl group called the Jaynettes in '62. It apparently got to no. 2 on the billboard chart, and was popular enough to inspire a dozen cover versions (including versions by a pre-Airplane Grace Slick and by Donna Summer)
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 PM

Howza about "Junk Food Junkie" by Larry Groce? The song mentions Euell Gibbons, and Euell died just before its release. Guess the old man just couldn't stand it.

How come on all the Sesame Street song compilations, I never see "Rubber Duckie"? It was BIG once.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Sally Go Round the Roses and Mustang Sally - two GREAT songs.

Sincerely,

Sali

Purple People Eater was The Bomb (do they still say that?) when I was a sprout.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Little Black Egg by The Nightcrawlers
Talk Back, Tremblin' Lips by Johnny Tillotson
I'm A Lonely Little Petunia (In an Onion Patch) By Kitty Kalen
Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 PM

Two songs by Jermaine Jackson:

Do What you Do - creepy video with the dummy in the shower

Dynamite - I think this was because of the "catchy" chorus

Oh! And In The Rain by Oran Juice Jones, although this seems to have had a resurgence lately among some people I know.

Last edited by Sateryn76; 01-30-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Hanging on the telephone by The Nerves. Remade by Blondie then remade again by Def Leppard. Yet when I mention this awesome song to friends my age no one seems to remember it.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Lies (All Through The 80's)

Maybe it will come back in 70 years.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
This is too cool.

I loved those things.
Pearl Jam did a very good cover of "Last Kiss". It's faithful to the original versions, just simple and straight, with the great voice of Eddie Vedder. If you haven't heard it, you should. I just remembered it thanks to this thread, and put in on my Pod.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:49 PM

"Tarzan Boy," by Baltimora.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:57 PM

"Door to the Sun / Alla porte del sole" by Al Martino. A piece of pungently cheesy Europop which got heavy play on AM radio in 1974.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prize View Post
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Lies (All Through The 80's)

Maybe it will come back in 70 years.
I remember this most excellent song, but had no idea it was Manfred Mann. Era-wise, I am suddenly reminded of Hocus Pocus by Focus. People are familiar with this...yes, no?
Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

Patches - Is that the same as the Clarence Carter song? ("Patches, I'm depending on you son, to pull the family through, my boy, it's all up to you...")
No, I believe they're talking about a different Patches, about a boy in love with a girl from 'the wrong side of the tracks', where the chorus goes:
Patches, Oh what can I do?
I swear I'll always love you
But a girl from that place
Can just bring me disgrace
So my folks won't let me love you

Until the end, where he discovers his true love has committed suicide on account of him not showing up when he was supposed to. The final chorus is:
Patches, Oh what can I do?
I swear I'll always love you
It may not be right
But I'll join you tonight
Patches, I'm coming to you

Probably on par, glurge-wise, with the Patches you were thinking of, and I'm that I just did those refrains from memory rather than looking them up!

BTW, one of the few songs I play for myself to enjoy on youtube is Curry's I Do the Rock (recorded live on German television), as well as Charge It and Paradise Garage.

Yeah, I was a huge Curry/RHPS fan in the day, and in fact, owned both of his albums.

Something I'd like to add to the OP is Bette Midler's My One True Friend. I love the Divine Miss M, of course, but to me, this is one of her most heart-felt, touching, wonderful songs. But shortly after becoming something of a hit for her, it crashed and burned.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:55 PM

One of my friends asked me what my favorite song was, and I replied "Kid Charlemagne", a forgotten classic by Steely Dan. It has a nice rhythm, catchy lyrics, and a damn fine session guitar solo by Larry Carlton (not as good as Elliot Randall's solo on "Reelin in the Years" (Jimmy Page's favorite guitar solo), also by Steely Dan, but still memorable). On the whole, I'm not sure that pop is the right way to describe Steely Dan, but it sounds better than jazz rock in a lot of ways. Besides, tossing a group into genres of music only limits it.
Maybe it isn't as much of a forgotten classic as I thought though: Larry Carlton's solo placed eighty-eighth on Guitar World's list of 100 greatest guitar solos: http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm. "Reelin' in the Years" placed fortieth on it (again, it's solo is better, but I prefer "Kid Charlemagne"'s themes of fall from grace and desperation to "Reelin' in the Years"' theme of nostalgia). At least the readers of Guitar World have some class.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
"Kid Charlemagne", a forgotten classic by Steely Dan.
Not forgotten by me. Love it.

And regarding 'I Do the Rock': outstanding song, outstanding lyrics.

Solzhenitsyn feels exposed
build a barbed-wired prison
Nietzsche's six feet under but his baby's still got rhythm
Einstein's celebrating ten decades
but I'm afraid philosophy is just too much responsibility for me

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 01-31-2010 at 05:30 AM..
Old 01-31-2010, 07:56 AM

Lucky Stars

Quote:
What are you crazy? How in the hell can you say what you just said?
I was talking to myself. Shut the door and come to bed.
By the way, I forgot to say, your endearing mother called today.
Did you see Lisa?
Yes I saw Lisa.
Is that why...You're.. angry?
I wasn't angry.
Maybe a little.
Not even maybe.
Must be the weather.
Now don't be a baby.
We'll how am I supposed to feel with all the things you don't reveal and you can thank your lucky stars that we're not as smart as we'd like to think we are.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 AM

I remember the song Singin' in the Kitchen by Bobby Bare being played all the time in the mid 70's. No one seems to remember it, though.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
I remember the song Singin' in the Kitchen by Bobby Bare being played all the time in the mid 70's. No one seems to remember it, though.
Everyone's memory is blotted out from all that bangin' on the pots and pans.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I had my MP3 player plugged into a radio at work the other day. The song "The Great Airplane Strike" played and everyone tried guessing who did the song. I heard everything from The Beatles to The Foo Fighters. The little light bulb came on for many when I told them it was Paul Revere and the Raiders. Even though it was a top 20 song back in 60's, 4 or 5 people said they had never heard the song before.