The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 PM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 22,941
Cataract surgery failure

I've heard that not all cataract surgeries are successful. I'm assuming that there's nothing wrong with the new lens itself, so there must be other factors that can go wrong. What are they?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Dereknocue67 Dereknocue67 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
My mother had what could be considered as a failed cataract surgery as afterwards, she experienced tunnel like dual vision in her eye. Fortunately, only one eye was operated on and she refused to have anything done to the other.

The reason(s) for this result are speculative and may be associated with a reported equipment malfunction during the operation or perhaps an unusual and unanticipated physical oddity with her eye. Either that or the doctor simply screwed up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 AM
psychonaut psychonaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I've heard that not all cataract surgeries are successful. I'm assuming that there's nothing wrong with the new lens itself, so there must be other factors that can go wrong. What are they?
What kind of cataract surgeries are you talking about? There are several different types of operations in common use today, and several more that have been historically usedócataract surgery has been around for thousands of years. Not all procedures involve a new lens.

Any cataract surgery which involves manipulating the eye with a tool runs the risk of damaging the eye with the tool (for example, by cutting or poking it). Infection is also a danger. Without further details about the kind of surgeries you're interested in it's probably difficult to speculate more precisely as to exactly what could go wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 AM
FatBaldGuy FatBaldGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: SLC, USA
Posts: 4,052
IANAD. I had cataract surgery myself last week, and so far I'm happy with the results, but with any kind of surgery there is a risk that something could go wrong.

As others have noted, it could be anything from the doctor making a bad incision to the patient not properly following the post-op regimen of antibiotics and other precautions.

Anything you do in this life has some non-zero risk of failure attached to it. If you are considering having surgery, discuss with your doctor what the risks are and make an informed decision. Ask how many surgeries of this type he has performed and how many years he has been practicing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
LurkMeister LurkMeister is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
My mother had what could be considered as a failed cataract surgery as afterwards, she experienced tunnel like dual vision in her eye. Fortunately, only one eye was operated on and she refused to have anything done to the other.

The reason(s) for this result are speculative and may be associated with a reported equipment malfunction during the operation or perhaps an unusual and unanticipated physical oddity with her eye. Either that or the doctor simply screwed up.
My late wife had cataracts in both eyes, and because of possible complication due to her diabetic retinopathy they decided to operate on her worse eye first, on the theory that if something went wrong she'd have the best possible vision. The surgery went well, and after what they considered a reasonable period they operated on her second eye.

Unfortunately, after the second surgery there were complications, not only with the second surgery but also with the first, and she ended up being legally blind.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Snickers Snickers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
My grandmother also had complications. Her surgery required new lenses, and it was found out after the fact that during manufacturing, the lens in one eye hadn't been rinsed properly. The microscopic particles of metal that were clinging to the lens subsequently caused a lot of scarring and she's lost a lot of vision in that eye.

She was understandably very gunshy about getting the surgery on the other eye, but IIRC that surgery went exactly as planned and was successful. Still, she's lost a lot of capabilities because of her damaged eye - she can't craft as much anymore, nor drive, those types of things. (However, she is 83 - perhaps it's not a bad thing that she can't drive!)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 AM
db54 db54 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Depends who you want to believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I've heard that not all cataract surgeries are successful. I'm assuming that there's nothing wrong with the new lens itself, so there must be other factors that can go wrong. What are they?
If it is a failure, it is your problem according to Insurers of the Physicians. Unfortunately, there is a high degree of success which overshadows the erros that can be made;

.e.g. Digitial Massage of the eyeball during the block procedure if it is too long or done with too much pressure. However, since these physicians have no official standards they learn it by "trial" and error.

e.g. the Injection that is put into the eye for the block procedure can nip the optic nerve Once the Optic Nerve goes pale (or has a stroke as they like to call it) that's it, the central eyesight is gone.

Of course, since insurers are involved and physicians can do no wrong they don't tell you about all the things that you will be blamed with (i.e. the real risks) if something goes wrong.

Sure, they might mention detached retina can and does occur after cataract sugery but allegedly that is straightforward to correct...

however, if you develop Retinal Vein Occlusion (i.e. Killed the Optic Nerve) as a result of cataract surgery, you will be blamed regards of surgeon's error which they will never admit!

They will blame Diabetes, Smoking, Too much fat in the blood, cholesterol, hypertension, and when those fail "Spontaneous occlusions occur even without surgery and surgery can increase the risk".

Too many people, as I did, procede recklessly based on the high % of success and the Surgeions are so full of themselves (and a bag of chips) they consider it routine and fail to adequately test for anything that can cause a problem.

When that fails that will point to the Cartoid Arteries as must having been the problem. So get that tested before Surgery!

Since there are no Studies of Time & Pressure during digital massage the Surgeons can and have caused loss of eyesight but get away scot free because there is "no standard of care" that can make them accountable.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
smithsb smithsb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: mid-Pacific
Posts: 1,486
My surgeries were in 91 and 92. Both artificial lenses have moved. This condition didn't start until 10-12 years later. One lens is way out of place and will need another surgery to relocate and anchor plus burnout the clouded membrane behind it.

The clouded membrane behind the new lens is common, not really a failure of the cataract surgery itself. The correction to this condition involves a laser focused on the membrane that burns a hole through it. It's simple out-patient surgery with almost no recovery time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Tom Tildrum Tom Tildrum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
...cataract surgery has been around for thousands of years.


They cut into your eyeball without anesthesia?!?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Crescend Crescend is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post


They cut into your eyeball without anesthesia?!?
Yup. The oldest procedure is called "couching" (from the French "coucher", which means "to lay down"), which involves using a curved needle to knock the lens out of its usual place. Lens falls down to the base of the eye and no longer blocks the path of light to the retina. Obviously no replacement lens is implanted - the first effective intraocular lenses were only developed in the last 50 years. This is better than having your field of view entirely blocked by a cataract, but not by that much.

It's not exactly a huge cut, you just poke the lens with a curved needle. Nervewracking, but pretty fast and (reasonably) effective. Been around for millenia.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-18-2010, 04:19 PM
barbitu8 barbitu8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
My surgeries were in 91 and 92. Both artificial lenses have moved. This condition didn't start until 10-12 years later. One lens is way out of place and will need another surgery to relocate and anchor plus burnout the clouded membrane behind it.

The clouded membrane behind the new lens is common, not really a failure of the cataract surgery itself. The correction to this condition involves a laser focused on the membrane that burns a hole through it. It's simple out-patient surgery with almost no recovery time.
Cataract surgery has improved in recent years. Although there still is a possibility of untoward consequences, the chance of that, IMHO, is now very slim. IANAMD, but I did have access to a journal for opthalmologists which discussed various options available now. I should be having cataract surgery soon, with little hesitation.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Eagle1 Eagle1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Deadening Drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescend View Post
Yup. The oldest procedure is called "couching" (from the French "coucher", which means "to lay down"), which involves using a curved needle to knock the lens out of its usual place. Lens falls down to the base of the eye and no longer blocks the path of light to the retina. Obviously no replacement lens is implanted - the first effective intraocular lenses were only developed in the last 50 years. This is better than having your field of view entirely blocked by a cataract, but not by that much.

It's not exactly a huge cut, you just poke the lens with a curved needle. Nervewracking, but pretty fast and (reasonably) effective. Been around for millenia.
I just want to remind us all that there are deadening drops for any procedure like this. Also, "what if" they make another error? Hopeless?

And a Question, could they accidentally nick your optic nerve doing a Kenalog injection? The first time I had one, years ago, I don't remember having to wait three days for a web (blood vessels?) of black medication to drain out, or a feeling of having a bubble in the lower part of my eye. Would I have been wiser to see my Primary Care Dr. for some eye swelling, for an over-all antibiotic? Less risk of injury, right?

Last edited by Eagle1; 07-09-2011 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Ask a question.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Eagle1 Eagle1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Deadening Drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post


They cut into your eyeball without anesthesia?!?
Not really. There's deadening drops.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Crescend Crescend is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
Not really. There's deadening drops.
My first zombie thread! A new milestone!

I was referring to how the procedure used to be done in the pre-modern era. It's certainly not done this way nowadays - I don't think couching is even used anymore, much less without anesthesia. If someone suggests doing surgery on your eyeballs sans anesthesia, I'd recommend getting a second opinion. And then a third one.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Wizard One Wizard One is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Wow, so many lies, so short an existence!
First, if it is a failure, legal action CAN be successful, IF it is the fault of the surgeon or even the lens vendor.

Digital Massage is risky, it literally means rubbing the eye with fingers, something people do every day and occasionally detach a fragile retina that typically has some other disease causing the excessive fragility. The surgeon is not trying to gouge patients eyes out!

NO injection for cataract surgery can "nick the optic nerve". PERIOD, the lens is at the front of the eye, the optic nerve is BEHIND the eye, an inch and change away. Optic nerve damage IS known to occur, secondary to increased intraocular pressure, essentially a brief case of glaucoma of excessive form.

The typical idiocy of the evil insurances and physicians. Really, if you don't trust them, go blind. Just don't try to get disability for what you could have prevented.

Retinal detachment IS a more commonly reported problem, though it's not COMMON. The retina bleeds, which means something caused damage, typically age related issues that weakened the blood vessels. There are several procedures that have high success rates in treating the problem.

Retinal vein occlusion is NOT a killed optic nerve, hence why it's called a RETINAL VEIN occlusion. In short, a stroke of the retina. Some people can get that, as well as a retinal detachment, from merely rubbing their eyes. I'm personally a prime candidate for either, due to significant lattice degeneration. Retinal vein occlusion means that a vein in the RETINA is blocked, so blood cannot flow through the retina and it dies, depending on the location of the blockage, the severity is variable. Small area vs large area thing.

The evil people will blame diabetes, smoking, etc... Yep! Diabetes weakens blood vessels. Smoking (I personally smoke a pack a day of Lucky Strikes) raises blood pressure. Cholesterol is linked to vascular disease, you remember, when those arteries get hard and fragile? But, you're right. All of those blind people who had the same issues WITHOUT eye surgery don't exist. They'll feel happy to know that they don't exist, I'm sure.

I find it fascinating that you know what will be "blamed" next! Now, you're psychic AND psycho. Incredible combination.

Surgeons don't just pick up a knife and start carving. They are TRAINED. As in things like residency. As in specialty training. That is like saying there is no studies on time and pressure on suturing a major blood vessel!

Sorry folks, but THESE types of posts REALLY push my start button. As I said previously, lies, lies and more lies.
Indeed, the lunacy of hitting the optic nerve with a needle is on the order of having a laproscopic procedure for a gallbladder and the surgeon striking the patient's spinal cord with the trochar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by db54 View Post
If it is a failure, it is your problem according to Insurers of the Physicians. Unfortunately, there is a high degree of success which overshadows the erros that can be made;

.e.g. Digitial Massage of the eyeball during the block procedure if it is too long or done with too much pressure. However, since these physicians have no official standards they learn it by "trial" and error.

e.g. the Injection that is put into the eye for the block procedure can nip the optic nerve Once the Optic Nerve goes pale (or has a stroke as they like to call it) that's it, the central eyesight is gone.

Of course, since insurers are involved and physicians can do no wrong they don't tell you about all the things that you will be blamed with (i.e. the real risks) if something goes wrong.

Sure, they might mention detached retina can and does occur after cataract sugery but allegedly that is straightforward to correct...

however, if you develop Retinal Vein Occlusion (i.e. Killed the Optic Nerve) as a result of cataract surgery, you will be blamed regards of surgeon's error which they will never admit!

They will blame Diabetes, Smoking, Too much fat in the blood, cholesterol, hypertension, and when those fail "Spontaneous occlusions occur even without surgery and surgery can increase the risk".

Too many people, as I did, procede recklessly based on the high % of success and the Surgeions are so full of themselves (and a bag of chips) they consider it routine and fail to adequately test for anything that can cause a problem.

When that fails that will point to the Cartoid Arteries as must having been the problem. So get that tested before Surgery!

Since there are no Studies of Time & Pressure during digital massage the Surgeons can and have caused loss of eyesight but get away scot free because there is "no standard of care" that can make them accountable.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Wizard One Wizard One is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
To the original question, the following have been observed infrequently in patients having cataract surgery:
Glaucoma
Elevated intraocular pressure causing a "stroke" of the retina
Retinal detatchment
Dislodged intraocular replacement lens
Incorrectly positioned intraocular replacement lens
Damage to the iris or eye itself due to surgical error
Infection (which is why the patient is given post operative antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drops)

Frequently, the posterior lens capsule will become opaque, causing similar symptoms to a cataract, this is easily corrected in office with a laser removing part of the opaque posterior lens capsule (hanged if I know WHY they don't remove it while they're removing the lens)

The list of complications is normally given to the patient before surgery and on paper after as well, with warnings to go to the hospital IMMEDIATELY if they have a list of certain symptoms (such as an area of vision going dark, flashes of light, significant pain and a few other symptoms.

I personally have had one lens replaced, another eventually will have to be done. I'm getting some issues with the posterior lens capsule now, but lacking a job and insurance, I can't afford that $1500 laser "zap" to fix it and it isn't significant at this time.
My biggest impact was looking around and realizing that for years, I didn't see very much of the color BLUE!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Gary Robson Gary Robson is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Montana, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard One View Post
Wow, so many lies, so short an existence!

[snip]

Now, you're psychic AND psycho. Incredible combination.

[snip]

As I said previously, lies, lies and more lies.
[mod note]
Personal insults (including calling other posters liars) are not allowed in the GQ forum. Do not do this again.
[/mod note]
__________________
---
Yes, I have joined the ranks of former moderators. Being a mod was eating my life. Now I'm a member just like you. Except smarter and better looking.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2011, 01:30 PM
oldman70 oldman70 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Cataract surgery failure

a few years ago I had an unsuccessful cataract surgery. A day after the surgery I saw numerous black spots in my vision. At my follow up with the sugeon, he said it was very unusual for that to happen but does occur a few times out of a hundred he does each year. He had me see a retina specialist who would be required to perform another surgery that was expected to be successful to get rid of the spots but the cataract surgery was not going to be successful. I don't know what the name of or the reason for my result. But the clearing of the spots was good. My vision is poor from the eye but no worse than it was before the surgery. I ended up being fitted for a contact lens for the one eye, after about 10 visits but I never used the contact lens after a few months. Too much trouble. I did have cataract surgery a couple years later with another surgeon and that one has been good. I am now 77 years old and wear glasses with one eye at about 20/25 and the other is poor and cannot be corrected with glasses but was poor before surgery. Anyone understand what actually happened and why? I never was told more than it does occur at times.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Eagle1 Eagle1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
"Ask What the Risks Are"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldGuy View Post
IANAD. I had cataract surgery myself last week, and so far I'm happy with the results, but with any kind of surgery there is a risk that something could go wrong.

As others have noted, it could be anything from the doctor making a bad incision to the patient not properly following the post-op regimen of antibiotics and other precautions.

Anything you do in this life has some non-zero risk of failure attached to it. If you are considering having surgery, discuss with your doctor what the risks are and make an informed decision. Ask how many surgeries of this type he has performed and how many years he has been practicing.
Excellent suggestion, "Ask what the risks are." And re your expression, "doctor making bad INCISION", has anyone heard that there should always be a stitch to hold the implant lens in place? Is it possible the doctor might make the capsule a hair too large? How can we know if the implant has slipped or something?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Eagle1 Eagle1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
77 yrs old, Do You Drive?

So sorry for you poor vision. Are you able to pass your driving test?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Wizard One Wizard One is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
Excellent suggestion, "Ask what the risks are." And re your expression, "doctor making bad INCISION", has anyone heard that there should always be a stitch to hold the implant lens in place? Is it possible the doctor might make the capsule a hair too large? How can we know if the implant has slipped or something?
I don't recall a stitch to hold my lens in place, but I wasn't quite with it for the procedure. I was also fortunate, in that the physician who performed my surgery is noted as the best in the state by his peers.
But, an error in the incision, whether by technique or by difference in anatomy COULD cause a problem.
The lens can dislodge, either by rubbing the eye, incorrect placement, anatomical difference that prevents the lens from fully seating, etc. One would notice significant focus problems, as the lens isn't in place to focus the image onto the retina.
In my case, I DID get scintillation, which I became accustomed to. That is secondary to light striking the edge of the lens and interfering with the main image light. It only happens when light from overhead is at a particular angle, so I've also learned to avoid that from happening as much as possible, as it is a bit distracting.
ANY competent professional should explain the risks and possible problems that can occur, it prevents unrealistic expectations and early intervention, should a problem occur. This is especially important, as in some, retinal detachment can occur, as the patient's retina may be a bit more fragile from an underlying condition.
Patients would also be aware of possible posterior capsule becoming opaque, due to epithelial cells remaining there that could also cloud, rather like the cataract. THAT is easily treated in the office with a few minutes worth of laser procedure.

As with any surgery, if the medical professional doesn't discuss and explain the possible complications and side effects of the procedure and implant, seek another professional. One that WILL discuss those.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,886
I'm not sure whether my problem should be termed a failure of the surgery, or a failure of the recovery process, but my 2nd cataract surgery essentially had to be redone two days later.

I turned my eyes pretty far to the side to identify a sudden noise and my vision in the newly "fixed" eye suddenly went blurry, but returned to normal after several minutes. I called the doc anyway who said come right in, and a quick look told him the lens had physically slipped out of position and was not back in the right place. He called it "out of the bag". Essentially they created a little pocket for the lens to rest in, but there is also a small slit they make to slide the new lens into place. And the lens started to slide out through the slit.

So they repositioned the lens and actually put a stitch in my eye to hold the slit closed so the lens couldn't slip out again.

The good news is there there were no long term negative consequences. My vision out of that eye is even a little better than the other eye.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
barbitu8 barbitu8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
I had bilateral cataract surgery, as I noted in post #11. Everything went well, except that my vision is not the expected 20/20 on the left and 20/50 on the right (so that I would not have to use reading glasses). I now have -2 diopter correction with +2-+3 astigma correction. I previously had RK, and my opthalmologist said that this complicated matters. He had to use what he called an "orange light" so that I could get properly corrected. I don't know what the orange light is, but I definitely could see it (and it cost me $1,000 above what Medicare covered -- I'm 73.) (I have 16 slits in each cornea due to RK times 2 on the left and times 3 on the right.) The doctor guaranteed that I would have no myopia after the surgery and that if I weren't satisfied, he would redo it. But now he insists that I don't have myopia, although my new lenses show a -2 diopter correction bilaterally.

I read that lasers will soon be available for cataract surgery in the very near future.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 AM
eno801 eno801 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
my dad's iris got messed up somehow during the one for the second eye. Is that fixable? it is no longer round, but slightly oblong toward the bottom.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Boo Boo Foo Boo Boo Foo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
I read that lasers will soon be available for cataract surgery in the very near future.
The Alcon Company will be leading the technological wave, however, intraocular removal and removal of the failed lens will still be necessary.

Nonetheless, of the three major risk factors involved in cataract surgery, namely, incision, capsulotomy and lens removal, the new laser technology (using the same femtosecond laser involved with Lasik surgery) appears to be superior in safety and accuracy. In particular with regards to reduced risk of infection due to the microscopic accuracy of laser incisions.

It should be noted that the technology doesn't come cheap and it is expected that practices which perform less than 1,000 procedures per year probably won't be able to justify the expense of the Alcon equipment - at least in the near term - say the initial 3 -4 years.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 AM
barbitu8 barbitu8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Foo View Post
The Alcon Company will be leading the technological wave, however, intraocular removal and removal of the failed lens will still be necessary.

Nonetheless, of the three major risk factors involved in cataract surgery, namely, incision, capsulotomy and lens removal, the new laser technology (using the same femtosecond laser involved with Lasik surgery) appears to be superior in safety and accuracy. In particular with regards to reduced risk of infection due to the microscopic accuracy of laser incisions.

It should be noted that the technology doesn't come cheap and it is expected that practices which perform less than 1,000 procedures per year probably won't be able to justify the expense of the Alcon equipment - at least in the near term - say the initial 3 -4 years.
Yes, and Medicare won't cover this laser procedure. Apparently, though, it will obviate the need to take all those antibiotic drops.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Wizard One Wizard One is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by barvaz View Post
you can find information about cataract in here:
קטרקט
From what I could ascertain, the site IS technically accurate. That said, I, like most of the readers of SD, don't read Hebrew. :/
It IS one of the few sites that show the lens being inserted with the manufacturers tool.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Wizard One Wizard One is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
Yes, and Medicare won't cover this laser procedure. Apparently, though, it will obviate the need to take all those antibiotic drops.
I haven't heard of this procedure. One WOULD still have to use the antibiotics though, if an intra ocular lens were installed, as my father and myself have had.
I'm also uncertain as to how they dispose of vapor, as the laser would vaporize the defective lens and hence, leave behind water vapor and residue of the lens in the lens capsule. I'll have to look the procedure up after work.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Wizard One Wizard One is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
I had bilateral cataract surgery, as I noted in post #11. Everything went well, except that my vision is not the expected 20/20 on the left and 20/50 on the right (so that I would not have to use reading glasses). I now have -2 diopter correction with +2-+3 astigma correction. I previously had RK, and my opthalmologist said that this complicated matters. He had to use what he called an "orange light" so that I could get properly corrected. I don't know what the orange light is, but I definitely could see it (and it cost me $1,000 above what Medicare covered -- I'm 73.) (I have 16 slits in each cornea due to RK times 2 on the left and times 3 on the right.) The doctor guaranteed that I would have no myopia after the surgery and that if I weren't satisfied, he would redo it. But now he insists that I don't have myopia, although my new lenses show a -2 diopter correction bilaterally.

I read that lasers will soon be available for cataract surgery in the very near future.
Never heard of orange light, perhaps a laser capsule procedure?
I can see quite well for distance, from being slightly myopic previously. That said, I DO need reading glasses, as the artificial lens is NOT as good as the "original equipment", it's fixed focus.
When I get the other eye done, I'll get a distance lens too, as I DO prefer to see in detail at distance, rather than the somewhat more common tradeoff of one eye having a close focus "reading" lens and the other far distance focus lens.
I'm only 50, but have trauma induced cataracts, well, one now. The right eye had the surgery and now needs to have the posterior lens capsule laser surgery opened, as residual epithelial cells from the old lens remained on the capsule (think a bag that held the biological lens) and now is acting like a cataract.
That is one of the most common side effects of surgery. As I don't currently have medical insurance, the cost would be $1500.00 (to which I exclaimed that I didn't want to BUY that laser)...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Hari Seldon Hari Seldon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Since no one has mentioned what has happened to me, I will tell my story. First cataract operation went well and I now have 20-20 vision in that eye, for the first time in my life, as far as I can recall (I started wearing glasses at 8, so for 66 years). During the second op it became obvious that there was a problem. He kept asking for different instruments and it took longer. When he finally finished, I asked him about that and he explained that the old lens had disintegrated and he had had trouble getting all the pieces out. What he didn't tell me till I had a problem was that he had left a piece of the old lens behind he was afraid of doing permanent damage. The next day I came back and he took off the shield and everything seemed the same as the day after the first surgery. But the day after that, a gray veil descended over that eye. That was a Sunday. I called Monday morning and was told to come in Tuesday. He looked at it through the scope, nodded and then explained to me about the piece of old lens. It had been in an out of the way corner, which is why he couldn't extract it and he took a chance that when the eye healed it would be trapped there and wouldn't bother me at all. It moved.

So he explained that it might just continue to thin by itself and eventually go away (it hasn't in 7 weeks) and that if not, they could maybe zap it with a laser or even operate and remove it. Now I have an a appointment in two weeks with the head of ophthalmology at the hospital who will decide what to do and do it, being the expert in these matters. As of now, I am essentially one-eyed. I have some vision in the other eye, but it is so fuzzy that the good eye takes over completely.

A friend of mine had a common complication a year or so after a very successful pair of surgeries. One eye developed some sort of grey veil, but it was in front of the new lens, not behind, as mine is. One minute with a laser and it was gone.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-17-2011, 04:23 PM
barbitu8 barbitu8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard One View Post
Never heard of orange light, perhaps a laser capsule procedure?
A capsular tension ring was inserted in the right eye, but not the left. I don't know why just in one and not the other. Nonetheless, I saw the orange light in both eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Hari Seldon Hari Seldon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Since no one has mentioned what has happened to me, I will tell my story. First cataract operation went well and I now have 20-20 vision in that eye, for the first time in my life, as far as I can recall (I started wearing glasses at 8, so for 66 years). During the second op it became obvious that there was a problem. He kept asking for different instruments and it took longer. When he finally finished, I asked him about that and he explained that the old lens had disintegrated and he had had trouble getting all the pieces out. What he didn't tell me till I had a problem was that he had left a piece of the old lens behind he was afraid of doing permanent damage. The next day I came back and he took off the shield and everything seemed the same as the day after the first surgery. But the day after that, a gray veil descended over that eye. That was a Sunday. I called Monday morning and was told to come in Tuesday. He looked at it through the scope, nodded and then explained to me about the piece of old lens. It had been in an out of the way corner, which is why he couldn't extract it and he took a chance that when the eye healed it would be trapped there and wouldn't bother me at all. It moved.

So he explained that it might just continue to thin by itself and eventually go away (it hasn't in 7 weeks) and that if not, they could maybe zap it with a laser or even operate and remove it. Now I have an a appointment in two weeks with the head of ophthalmology at the hospital who will decide what to do and do it, being the expert in these matters. As of now, I am essentially one-eyed. I have some vision in the other eye, but it is so fuzzy that the good eye takes over completely.

A friend of mine had a common complication a year or so after a very successful pair of surgeries. One eye developed some sort of grey veil, but it was in front of the new lens, not behind, as mine is. One minute with a laser and it was gone.

Followup Wehn I saw the head honcho, he scheduled me for an operation to repair the first surgery. It took place 11 days ago and seems to have been completely successful. The eye isn't prefect, but he says that will take a couple weeks. It is so much better than before the first operation that I will happy if it doesn't improve. He mentioned that there are complications in about 5% of cases. So it is not that rare. The first surgeon didn't mention that statistic. The repair surgery was a lot like the original from my point of view.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Bellwood1030 Bellwood1030 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Wouldn't another possibility be an error in calibration by the surgeon? I ask this because I had a corneal disease that required transplants. I had to use steroid drops for years, and those give you cataracts. I had trouble finding a specialist who would even do the surgery and was told it would be very tough to calibrate (their word) the artificial lens with my transplanted cornea. I finally did find a (highly respected) surgeon, and while the surgery was successful in that my vision is improved, when I'm driving at night, streetlights and headlights flare, which can put the adventure back into driving. Come to think of it, maybe there's some question as to what "success" means in cataract surgery--if you can see better EXCEPT...is that success?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-26-2011, 03:15 PM
barbitu8 barbitu8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Followup Wehn I saw the head honcho, he scheduled me for an operation to repair the first surgery. It took place 11 days ago and seems to have been completely successful. The eye isn't prefect, but he says that will take a couple weeks. It is so much better than before the first operation that I will happy if it doesn't improve. He mentioned that there are complications in about 5% of cases. So it is not that rare. The first surgeon didn't mention that statistic. The repair surgery was a lot like the original from my point of view.
Glad everything is finally working out for you. It does take a couple of weeks for your eyesight to stabilize after the surgery sometimes. Mine hasn't changed since the surgery, altho I had hoped that it would get better. My vision is no better than before the surgery, just a different and opposite astigma, but no complications. My vision still deteriorates at night due to the previous RK, and I might have to get a different pair of new lenses for night, as I had before (but the old pair has the wrong astigma correction).
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-26-2011, 03:34 PM
barbitu8 barbitu8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellwood1030 View Post
Wouldn't another possibility be an error in calibration by the surgeon? I ask this because I had a corneal disease that required transplants. I had to use steroid drops for years, and those give you cataracts. I had trouble finding a specialist who would even do the surgery and was told it would be very tough to calibrate (their word) the artificial lens with my transplanted cornea. I finally did find a (highly respected) surgeon, and while the surgery was successful in that my vision is improved, when I'm driving at night, streetlights and headlights flare, which can put the adventure back into driving. Come to think of it, maybe there's some question as to what "success" means in cataract surgery--if you can see better EXCEPT...is that success?
The "funny" thing (actually not funny at all) is that cataract surgery is supposed to eliminate the glare.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-21-2012, 05:32 AM
DanielHill DanielHill is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
eye care

NO injection for cataract surgery can "nick the optic nerve". PERIOD, the lens is at the front of the eye, the optic nerve is BEHIND the eye, an inch and change away. Optic nerve damage IS known to occur, secondary to increased intraocular pressure, essentially a brief case of glaucoma of excessive form.
eyesurgerynew.com/eye-surgery/post-eye-surgery-care-tips
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.