Ask the guy with 17 currencies in his wallet*

• OK, so they don’t all quite fit in my wallet as the stack of notes is about 3/4" high, so the Indian and Asian ones are kept in a separate small pouch that I carry around too.

Currently:

75 CAD / 100 AUD / 95 NZD / 130 EUR / 40 GBP / 1350 CZK / 420 CHF / 2710 AED

8 OMR / 4 QAR / 6.5 BHD / 54 SDG / 705 IND / 33000 KRW / 485 RMB / 58000 JPY / 2200 CDF

The weird ones: SDG = Sudan, CDF = DR Congo

Total value of the above is about $2,500 USD.

I’ve used all of these in the last few months… I have another stack that I don’t keep with me that is mostly useless (Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan).

Ask away.

Can you make change for a twenty??

Are you Jason Bourne?

You realize that saying ‘no’ means that you are Jason Bourne.

20 what? :wink:

Either way, I guess I am then. In that case I seem to have lost 5 or 6 passports. I also seem to have lost some of my amazing driving skills. :smiley:

So, what are your feelings about international currency unions like the euro?

The Euro has certainly made traveling around Europe easier without losing 2% in each new country, but I think we are starting to see the breakdown in it with recent situations in Greece, Portugal and to a lesser extent Spain, Italy and Ireland.

The CFA works well in Africa because the economies are much more on par with each other, but in the end, I think having to “share” a currency is a sign of weakness.

Germany and the Netherlands are of course the big losers in it all as they had very strong currencies. It’s just hard to mesh the economic propensities of Greece and Germany.

The GCC are talking about a similar union, but I don’t think it’ll happen… and I would not be surprised to see the Euro fail in the long run.

Do you prefer paper or polymer notes?

Hey Buddy, can you spare a dime?

Paper. I know the polymer ones last longer but they are slippery and the ink tends to bleed or wear off after a while (at least on the Sri Lankan ones when I was there).

No dimes, sorry. I have a handful of UAE dirhams and a few Sudanese coins tho.

I will say one thing - I do like multi-colored notes. When dealing with USD, it is much harder to distinguish between all the green ones. I am American so grew up with that but it is a bit weird.

Do any of your banknotes have Spock on them?

What’s the prettiest note you own? And can you link to a picture of it?

100 Rupees from the Seychelles (I was there 5 or 6 years ago). Not my picture, but here is a link to one:

Why don’t you just use a credit and debit card like the rest of us who travel around the world?

(well, unless you’re out in the sticks that is. Cash is still the best, if not only, option there.)

All I carry with myself is about $300 US in case of an emergency. Otherwise, I have limited real cash anywhere I go.

Don’t you think that would be highly illogical?

I do carry a credit card but more often find myself in places where they don’t work well (eg Sudan). I normally carry $2-3K, and (touch wood) have never had a problem. Most of my time in spent in Muslim countries where theft is very rare indeed.

So sorry! The link doesn’t work. The site dislikes hotlinking to internal images.

That is odd. It works from here. Google 100 Rupees Seychelles.

Here it is from the Central bank of the Seychelles (site is a bit slow - probably hosted in the islands).

Both sides:

http://www.cbs.sc/banknotes/image3.html

http://www.cbs.sc/banknotes/image4.html

Yeah, but that is a helluva lot of cash to be carrying around.
Wouldn’t it make more sense to get currency as you require it and only the amount you’ll need until the next potential bank stop? Why carry Canadian dollars in Sudan? Where can you use it?

I’m curious about the coins more than the notes, the notes you can convert, but (in my fairly limited experience) they don’t always take the coins… hence a couple of small piles of foreign denomination shrapnel at Rancho Remarkable.

So do you have a fishbowl full or have you managed to exchange them?

Banks are almost non-existant once you leave the capital and it is much better to change on the street or in shops in much of the Third World. I never saw a bank outside of Khartoum except in Atbarra on a Friday (so it was closed).

Some places don’t like USD so a variety of hard currencies are best. The CAD not quite as much (I don’t recall where I even got it as I’ve not been to Canada in a long time) but if I only have say 50s and 100s in EUR and need something very small, 5 or 10 CAD works well in some places. Most places in the Third World have a very good idea of what the exchange rates are.

Been carrying $2-3K for 8 years and just used to it now.