The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Vinegar on french fries: Delicious or Disgusting?

My stepfather is extremely grossed out by the fact that I put vinegar on my fries. He says it's unnatural and horrid. He won't stay in the same room with me when I do it and even insisted (one time) at me sitting at a different table at a restaurant we were at simply because he didn't want anyone sitting at his table eating "that putrid combination".

What say you? Is vinegar on french fries something you find gross, delicious... or maybe somewhere in the middle where you find it odd but wouldn't knock it until you try it?
Advertisements  
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Vinegar on fries is the way God intended them to be eaten. Fries, vinegar, salt, done. Yum yum.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM

I love it but do have one problem -- the sog factor. The fries have to be really hot and really crisp, and the vinegar quantity fairly minimal -- I do not want potato mush (some people don't mind). Dirty secret: that's one reason I kind of secretly prefer the potato chip version of salt and vinegar.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Malt vinegar - yummy! I wouldn't do it with another kind, the flavor isn't quite right.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

MALT vinegar - if I'm eating fish and chips. But regular vinegar? Bleahh.

ETA - beaten to it by Ferret Herder!

Last edited by Shoeless; 02-11-2010 at 12:59 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Mmmm... Malt vinegar on fries, mashed potatos, baked potatoes, scrambled eggs and a few drops on any sandwich made in my house.

Look at it this way, if you're banished to another table, you won't have to share with anyone.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Malt vinegar on very very crispy piping hot fries. With a pint of good lager. Heaven.

Your stepfather is weird.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Vinegar FTW. Fish and Chips drowning in vinegar yay.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Malt vinegar, and lots of it. And salt, lots of it.

I really do need to make fish'n'chips soon.

Also good with fries: Mayo, Thousand Island dressing, catsup, chili and cheese and onions, or just plain with salt.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
BANNED

It is how they do it in Canada. Is that an endorsement? They eat weird in Canada.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Delicious. I agree that many foods are improved by adding a few drops of vinegar. I ogle the malt vinegar every time I'm at the grocery store, but haven't been able to justify buying it because we rarely eat fried food. But scrambled eggs, you say. Sandwiches!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Actually, I use any kind of vinegar. Most regularly just regular vinegar or red cider vinegar. Very rarely do I use malt vinegar because I never have any in the house. I wonder if this is a factor that wages in on him finding it gross?

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 02-11-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM

Regular vinegar and salt. Maybe some tartar sauce for dipping. Malt vinegar has too strong a taste for me.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:16 PM

I've recently discovered (ok, gave in and tried) malt vinegar on fries. Now, fries must have vinegar.

If you think about it, it's not so wierd, katsup is nothing more than tomato, vinegar, salt, and sugar.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
Actually, I use any kind of vinegar. Most regularly just regular vinegar or red cider vinegar. Very rarely do I use malt vinegar because I never have any in the house. I wonder if this is a factor that wages in on him finding it gross?
I'm thinking so... Oil and Malt Vinager is so often used in restaurants for bread dipping that i would think it wouldnt be a huge stretch to add it to another starchy food. But other regular vinager seems weird to me too. When I was in Scotland, everytime we ordered Fish and Chips it was served with malt vin. And it is a delicious combo!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Another vote for loving it, though I generally have to apply so much that things get soggy. It seems like vinegar on hot, fresh fries disappears far too quickly--not sure whether it's evaporating, getting lost in the starchiness, or what exactly. So I add more and more, and eventually wind up with soggy, delicious fries.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, that's my only problem with vinegar on fries (malt or regular) - where did it go? I also don't like the way it cools off my fries too fast. The flavour, though - mm mm good!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainGrowsBrite View Post
Oil and Malt Vinager is so often used in restaurants for bread dipping
Really? Not that I've ever seen. Whereabouts?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I only occasionally do it, but vinegar is good on fries.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
My stepfather is extremely grossed out by the fact that I put vinegar on my fries. He says it's unnatural and horrid. He won't stay in the same room with me when I do it and even insisted (one time) at me sitting at a different table at a restaurant we were at simply because he didn't want anyone sitting at his table eating "that putrid combination".

What say you? Is vinegar on french fries something you find gross, delicious... or maybe somewhere in the middle where you find it odd but wouldn't knock it until you try it?
I grew up with white vinegar on french fries and now also enjoy malt vinegar. It's the best.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 PM

I've never tried regular vinegar on fries but I keep a bottle of malt vinegar on hand in case I end up with some fries.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Yummy! I tried it first at The Chip Shop.* I used to live 4 blocks away from it-- man, I loved that neighborhood.

I've got a friend who dips his fries in mayo. Now that's disgusting.

*That site needs to make the 'turn off that bloody music!' clicky thing much bigger.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I grew up with white vinegar on french fries and now also enjoy malt vinegar. It's the best.
What's white vinegar?

And yes. Vinegar all the way in Canada, except maybe on fast food McFries: then it's ketchup.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Malt vinegar, and lots of it. And salt, lots of it.

I really do need to make fish'n'chips soon.

Also good with fries: Mayo, Thousand Island dressing, catsup, chili and cheese and onions, or just plain with salt.
Ranch.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Malt vinegar on fries is awesome. Regular vinegar on fries is not so much. Salt and vinegar potato chips/crisps are often barely edible.

Basalmic vinegar on fries is even more awesome.

ETA: Mayonnaise on fries is fabulous, especially with a little mustard mixed in for taste!!!

Last edited by DSYoungEsq; 02-11-2010 at 01:48 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huerta88 View Post
Ranch.
Or blue cheese.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Delicious. Although, I must say, it is only fair to point out that my love of vinegar is abnormal, and I have a total vinegar crutch when it comes to cooking. Sometimes while making dinner, in my effort to become a better cook (one of my goals lately), I tell myself "No vinegar," and about 50% of the time cave in, "Okay, maybe just a little." When I don't use vinegar, I often use lime. I dunno, I like things to be tart, I guess.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Unbelievably good. Deep fried + vinegar is almost always a great combination. Usually, for me, it's deep-fried foods with something pickled on the side, but with fries (and fish) especially, it works great to mix it all into one.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
It is how they do it in Canada. Is that an endorsement? They eat weird in Canada.
We go both ways.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't like ketchup on my fries. Preferred toppings are:

1) brown gravy & cheese curds (i.e. poutine)
2) malt vinegar & salt
3) any combination of chili and/or cheese
4) just salt

Last edited by Skammer; 02-11-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Really? Not that I've ever seen. Whereabouts?
I've seen olive oil and balsamic used as a bread dip in many, many restaurants. I prefer just the olive oil with some salt and pepper, but it's good with the vinegar, as well.

Cider vinegar added to deviled eggs makes the dish.

Malt vinegar on fish and chips is terrific, but I do prefer mayo with my fries.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM

I used to only eat my fries one of two ways: with vinegar (malt > apple cider > red wine > all others) or as poutine. I've recently fallen back in love with HP sauce (you Americans have no idea what you're missing - don't let anyone say "it's just like A1" because they're fucking liars) and now only eat my fries one of three ways. Note: All three of these ways get me strange, strange looks here in America.

ETA: My wife eats her fries with Ketchup and Mayo - yes, at the same time. :boggle:

Last edited by fubbleskag; 02-11-2010 at 02:11 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubbleskag View Post
ETA: My wife eats her fries with Ketchup and Mayo - yes, at the same time. :boggle:
This is known as "fry sauce" in Idaho and thereabouts.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubbleskag View Post
I used to only eat my fries one of two ways: with vinegar (malt > apple cider > red wine > all others) or as poutine. I've recently fallen back in love with HP sauce (you Americans have no idea what you're missing - don't let anyone say "it's just like A1" because they're fucking liars) and now only eat my fries one of three ways. Note: All three of these ways get me strange, strange looks here in America.
HP sauce is awesome. I use that whenever I'm at a restaurant that carries it. Usually here in the US, that means an English-themed place, maybe an Irish one.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 02-11-2010 at 02:25 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Malt vinegar, salt, and a little bit of mayo - real mayo, not miracle whip or anything out of a jar.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 PM

I do have to say that I'm partial to thin frites served with aioli.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbadrubberpiggy View Post
real mayo, not miracle whip or anything out of a jar.
If you're going to the (rather minimal) trouble of making mayo, you've opened the door to lots of fun variants -- remoulade, aioli, rouille, homemade ranch.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:33 PM

Malt vinegar all the way. It used to be that the only places that had malt vinegar on the tables were fish & chip places (including the fast food variety: Long John Silver's, Arthur Treacher (miss it SO MUCH)) but we recently started getting Five Guys around here and they have malt vinegar on the condiment counter. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Another vote for "vinegar, especially malt vinegar, on fries is yummy."

What an odd thing to get worked up about. Does your stepfather eat ketchup on his fries? Ketchup is basically sweet tomato vinegar.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Vinegar yes, but salt is also a must with the vinegar. No problem, not "putrid"; comes from the fact that fish and chips were also vinegared and salted and served together.

Fries and gravy are quite common here in Canada and always have been. The poutine thing actually dates from the early 70s I believe and was "Quebec only" until about 10 years ago, thanks to chain restaurants.

Chili/cheese are American and are quite common these days.

Mayonnaise is a Belgian thing and I remember reading about it back in the 60s even, so it's really nothing new. I also use McChicken sauce from McDonald's, as well as any of the dipping sauces used in Chicken McNuggets, especially the Sweet n' Sour.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
If you're going to the (rather minimal) trouble of making mayo, you've opened the door to lots of fun variants -- remoulade, aioli, rouille, homemade ranch.

What the mayo ends up as all depends what's in my fridge/spice drawer at the moment!

I don't know why more people don't make it, it's the simplest thing in the world, and uses ingredients most people already keep in the house.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Only with Old Bay Seasoning. Otherwise they taste like those over-rated fries from Five Guys.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I don't generally use it, but a little is good on fries.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:00 PM

Mayonnaise + ketchup is basically just Russian Dressing. It's not that outlandish a suggestion. Put some pickle relish in it, and it becomes Thousand Island Dressing.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM

I personally wouldn't eat it, but if you like it...

Tell your stepdad to grow up. His antics are childish and immature. Life doesn't revolve around his likes and dislikes.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Crazy delicious.

There's a Philly Cheese Steak type joint around the corner from me, and I ate there a few weeks ago. I asked for vinegar for my fries, and the woman behind the counter acted like I was certifiable. I can understand Joe Public not knowing about vinegar on fries, but how can someone who works at a Steak Sub place not know? It just seems to go with the territory...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Malt vinegar is best. I love ordering fries in a place that provides malt vinegar. But I'm decadent: I use vinegar and ketchup.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Oh the humanity. If any of you have run across my posts in other food threads you won't be surprised to know that I find this practice heinous beyond words. Shall I venture a guess at how many of you are Brits?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:

None of the above. It's okay, especially with fish, but I prefer gravy. I don't think I'd want to try fish gravy if there is such a thing.

I got a funny look in a restaurant in St. Louis ordering fries and vinegar. They had to break some out of their broom closet. I guess they clean with food in St. Louis.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM

I like mine with honey mustard unless I get them from Wendy's.

Then they must be dipped in my Frosty.