Straight Dope on body going into "starvation mode" w/calorie restriction?

Was hoping there might be a medical doctor who could factually answer this question - not really looking for anecdotes here.

At work, a popular subject is dieting. A recurring “fact” people mention is this idea that if you eat too little, “your body goes into starvation mode and you can’t lose any more weight no matter what, OMG”. Oh and that it “ruins your metabolism”.

This simply makes no sense. After all, if it were true, no one would ever actually starve to death because they would be unable to lose any more weight after certain point. Obviously, this does not happen. Also, no one ever explains how a metabolism can be “ruined” and/or how to “repair” it.

What is the truth about this?

Starvation mode doesn’t mean you stop loosing weight - that’s not physically possible. You use calories living and breathing, so if you get no calories from outside, you will starve to death.

That doesn’t mean the starvation mode isn’t real. There’s a famous study you can read here.

Well, there are an awful lot of people who believe just that. Google the phrase “starvation mode” and you get hundreds of sites with statements like this:

“starvation mode kicks in below 1,200 calories. When you go below 1,200 calories per day, your body will start hoarding energy. The effect will be a slowdown in the total amount of calories your body burns each day. Your weight loss will stop and even reverse.”

Lesson number one: never trust the internet. Unfortunately, most people do.

That weight loss will stop because the metabolism slows down with 1 200 calories does not at all mean that people can’t starve to death. Maybe you have seen pictures of African children with bloated bellies - those are a sign of starvation/ malnutrition. It can take several months to starve to death, precisly because the metabolism has slowed down. This doesn’t mean that the body still uses more energy than it gets.

I see I expressed myself not clearly. I meant that “starvation mode does not mean you stop burning calories…”

The basic process, that the metabolism slows down, is well documented, both in the Starvation study, and from countless real-life examples of starving people. They sit around listlessly, barely move, easily catch diseases, and so on. Sex drive and periods are diminished. And so on.
When you start eating normally again, the metabolism then doesn’t immediatly switch back to before, it first starts hoarding fat to be sure to be not caught like this again. This is the yo-yo effect of gaining more weight after a diet. If you do this often, messing with your metabolism like this is unhealthy. First affected is the heart during starvation mode, but also kidneys. Plus, if you eat unhealthy during the normal periods, bad stuff gets put into the fat cells. Then , when you go into starvation mode = radical diet, all that bad stuff gets released at once into an already weakened body.

Plus, many diets are short on the vitamins and minerals and so on, since a normal food selection is often slightly short on them, so cutting portions in half means even less. (Better: cut your meat and starch in half, but leave veggies at least the same size, or increase).

Dunno where they get this belief but I’m not exaggerating, almost every single (overweight) person I know seems to believe this.

It is even given as a an excuse for eating snacks…because they “don’t want to go into starvation mode”.

Some even believe that you start gaining weight the less you eat due if you enter this dreaded “mode”.:rolleyes:

Ok, so you believe that even if you burn more calories than you consume, you will not lose any weight? How does that work, exactly?

Wait, what? What is this “bad stuff”? How does it get “put into” fat cells?

Because you stop burning more calories. Are you talking about the starvation mode brought on by dieting which is done for a relativly short term or are you talking about people starving to death? Because it seems to me that if keep conflating these two things, it will be impossible to answer. People who really starve to death take months with difficult circumstances; people who go on a diet usually do for weeks with different starting positions. A person who starts at 200 kg of body weight will “stop” loosing weight when they hit starvation mode, but is obviously a long way from an African child that starts with 30 kg.

Chemicals like pesticides, overdoses of one mineral or of fat-based vitamins, … whatever is in your daily food and unhealthy.

Again, how do the laws of thermodynamics magically stop applying? If more energy is burned each day than is provided through food, where does the remaining energy come from if not from burning fat/muscle?

Um, okay…but where does this “bad stuff” suddenly come from and again, how does it “get put into” fat cells?

They don’t stop applying. You are using less calories because some of your systems are slowing down to conserve. It’s like when city workers go on strike: “essential services” like the fire department are still provided so people don’t die, but non-essential services like garbage collection, street sweepers, and public recreation programs will be shut down for the duration of the strike. In your body, keeping your heart beating and your lungs full of air would be “essential services”, but other metabolic-dependent functions are going to go to pot.

You’ll feel awful, tired and lethargic because your body is conserving any calories it can hang onto. Again this is for a limited time diet. In the long-term, like someone in a famine-stricken nation, eventually you will start losing weight again.

For limited-time diets, it may be noticed as hitting a weight loss plateau. If you go into a limited-time super-calorie restrictive diet, you will initially start shedding weight, so your first week you weigh 200, the next 195, the next, 190, then 185. But then your body goes all starvation mode on you and your rate of loss plateaus: 185… 182… 181… 181… 181…

The ATkins diet discussed teh “tarvation” mode. It is a well-known side effect of calorie restriction and many several professionally-planned diets take it into account.

IIRC what the process was described as is this - after a few days (bout 3 or so) of severe calorie restriction, the body will notice “Holy cow! I’m starving” and your metabolism will adjust to reduce its calorie consumption. As noted above, you become sluggish, less energetic (duh!). How much calorie restriction? I don’t know, leave that to the experts.

Another interesting side effect is that your body starts to consume muscle. One purpose of getting fit as a means to reduce weight is that muscle mass burns more calories, even at rest. If you actually starve, your body sheds that excess weight. I know one person who went from 300 to 100 lbs (and slowly put it all back on). She now has a heart problem at a young age, because the effect also consumes heart muscle. Remember perhaps that in the 80’s the "liquid protein"diet (no, the other one!) was popular in Hollywood. people would drink nothing but this pink goop - until some of them started keeling over with heart attacks - same effect.

The Atkins and some other diets try to exploit the fact that what triggers the starvation mode is lack of overall calories - fat and protein too. Whereas, what triggers consumption of the fat stored in the body is lack of carbohydrates - or so they claimed. ANother fad says that the “low fat” diet we try to follow nowadays is actually what helps cause obesity, because we eat too much carbs to compensate and the body thinks it need to store fat due to the shortage.

You can monkey with the proportions and quantity of the 3 basic food types - fat, carbs, and protein - but in the end, a moderate amount of food and healthy exercise - to both burn calories and build muscle mass - is what’s needed.

Whether there’s a rebound effect, whether it’s phyisological or psychological - who knows?

As for toxic materials - there is a residual level of toxic materials in the environment, and they tend to accumulate in fat cells. PCB’s, for example, are found there. The higher up the food chain the more toxins; the toxins accumulate for example in plants, which are eaten by herbivores, which in turn are eaten by carnivores. Marine animals are the worst affected because the toxins are pervasive and because fish and sea mamals acumulate a lot of oil/fat. The eskimos have alarmingly high toxin levels because of the amount of fish and seals they consume.

Normally, we consume and the levels accumulate over our lives with no noticeable effects…

In the Biodome experiment (not the Pauley Shore one) thet eco-nuts refused to listen to the scientists, so as a result the dome ecology crashed. One effect was that in an attempt to survive the inhabitants were on a starvation diet. They lost about one quarter of their body weight, and regular monitor tests showed a large increase in body toxins such as PCB’s. This set off a panic search for the source and any toxic leaks until the doctors realized it was just coming out of their fat cells.

So - one more reason why a starvation diet is not good; but we’re still talking about toxin levels that are below limits, and that toxic surge gets flushed (since it’s not being stored any more); so all in all, it’s not an “OMG gonna die” situation, as long as you get some food later.

This probably has to do more with the calorie reduction and the amount of calories that the smaller body is burning then going into starvation mode. From what I can find online a body burns about 11 calories per pound so in 10 pounds of weight loss you need 100 calories less a day to maintain the same deficit.

I’ve been on a 1300 calorie diet for 5 months now and I have seen no plateaus but I have noticed that after a week of being bad on my diet (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday) I see greater then predicted weight loss. This could be my body coming out of starvation mode or it could be simply purging my system of additional volume of food.

I have actually experience what I think is this so-called starvation mode. I was eating about 400 calories a day and exercising intensely for at least 90 minutes a day. I had all the classic symptoms and lost weight fairly quickly, but then I got to 123 pounds. I stayed there for a good three weeks, even though I was still eating 400 calories or less, and exercising like mad. Normally, you’d think I would still be dropping weight, but I just couldn’t.

I eventually did loose a few more pounds, and then my finance intervened and I got help.

Not sure if this is the exact same thing or not. Just note that I wasn’t in starvation mode for long, and I also was at a very low weight. I would expect that someone with a lot of fat to burn may take longer to get to this so-called starvation mode then someone who has little fat to burn.

As an aside, people often forget that as they lose weight, their body requires less calories to fuel it, but the neglect to change their diet accordingly to continue to lose weight. If you reach the balance point in lifestyle and diet where your calories in equal your calories out (which you will, in time), you will hit a plateau. You need to re-evaluate your caloric intake or expenditure if you want to continue to lose weight.

The math still doesn’t add up.

Imagine two men. Both weigh 180 pounds. Both need about 2500 calories per day simply to sustain their weight.

One day, both men chop firewood for 3 hours, burning 1000 calories more that day than normal. But, they do not eat an additional 1000 calories that day. As a result, their bodies remove 1000 calories’ worth of energy from their fat and muscles. That 1000 calories translates to a little less than 1/3 of a pound of weight lost that day.

But…one man has been dieting and is in this supposed “starvation mode”. How exactly does it work that this man does NOT burn the 1000 calories per day that the other man did? And if he didn’t, where did the 1000 calories worth of energy needed to chop the firewood come from?

Basically, in “starvation mode” your body needs a lot fewer calories.

So you cut your eating in half, torture yourself. For a few days, you lose weight. Then, you’re right back where you started - not losing weight, or losing it very very slowly - but you’re torturing yourself by eating very little.

Meanwhile, your body is shedding the muscle mass that burns calories, meaning you can get by, not losing much weight, on even less calories.

The guy chopping wood may have trouble being energetic enough to burning 1000 calories - that’s a lot of exercise. If he’s really in starvation mode, it’s not likely something he’ll be able to do every day.

According to the calorie calculator - a 180lb man would ned to run 8.5 miles to burn 1000 calories. Try that every day while starving…

It’s irrelevant to the math equation how he feels. Starving prisoners in forced labor camps do forced labor, whether they feel tired or not.

Again, where did the 1000 calories worth of energy to chop the wood come from if he did not lose 1000 calories worth of body weight?

It could have come from a variety of processes the body may have decided to slow down to conserve energy. For instance, the food he ate for breakfast may have not been digested as quickly as normally (did he have nausea?). He may have been much colder then his friend (conserving energy by reducing the core temperature) - people who are restricting calories too much for too long get something called lanugo, a fine layer of hair the body produces to help keep the body warm because it can no longer keep the core temperature up. The starving guy’s fingernails will cease to grow, as will his hair. His skin will be dry, as the body stops producing oils.

All of this happens because they aren’t vital to his survival and is the body’s way of conserving calories.

Nausea and lanugo are still irrelevant to the energy equation. Where did he get the 1000 calories worth of energy to chop the wood if he didn’t get it by burning 1000 calories worth of body mass? You can’t just create energy out of nothing, it must come from a source.

His body would have pulled the energy from his fat and muscles. In this case, I doubt he would have been stuck at a weight loss plateau due to a ‘starvation mode’. I don’t really see anyone in that type of situation doing that type of work for long, to be honest. Sure, there were forced work camps where they were forced to work with little or no food, but they didn’t last long. They’d do a few weeks of forced labour, and then the body would give out. This guy wouldn’t be chopping wood day after day - he WOULD continue to starve to death. He won’t just stop loosing weight forever, it just doesn’t happen. He might hit a point where his body tried to compensate by stopping non-essential services, but that’s not going to last for long. If he got to the point where he was burning way more calories day after day and his body had used up all the fat reserves, he would firstly not be able to continue doing this type of hard work, and secondly, he would collapse and/or die from it.