The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 02-15-2010, 12:43 PM

NYC with my ten year old daughter...suggest things to do and see.

I am taking my daughter to th City for her 10th birthday next weekend. We have all day Saturday and we are seeing The Lion King Sunday afternoon.

We are staying near Broadway. What things do you think a 10 year old girl would like to see? My NYC experience is limited and geared towards grownup tastes.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by newcrasher; 02-15-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I was thinking of starting a very similar thread! I'll be watching this myself, as my not-quite-13 daughter may be going there (with me) as her 13th birthday present (in lieu of a party). Dweezil got to go to Boston for a similar birthday, so it's Moon Unit's turn.

For a 10 year old, a trip to the American Girl shop might be fun - at least at the one in Chicago, you can do a "high tea" with your AG doll. This assumes your daughter has one and is still into this. I think Moon Unit was 9 when we went to the one in Chicago.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Oooh - it looks like Wicked is still playing on Broadway. Ditto Lion King. Either of those would be appropriate (I think - I haven't seen Wicked, perhaps it's better for a slightly older kid?).
Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Empire State Building.- It may be $30 to go up. but there's a gift shop at the top & its only windy on one side. (But don't expect Meg Ryan at the top)

6th Ave- MACYS- Not sure what's in the windows now, but there's always inside. (Buy her a pair of black suede gloves)

Holman Rink- Ice skating in central park. (Kudos if you toss to her one of the gloves. She'll get the reference.) Afterwards, you can walk over to 'The Castle' & point out where Cary Grant skated in 'The Bishops Wife', and then to The Dakota where John Lennon was shot. (bonus points if you can pick out that the building next to it is from 'Ghostbusters'.)

Rockefeller Center- More skating, see people waiting to see the Rockettes, tour NBC, go to the top of the rock, and then shop at The Nintendo Store.

Then, cab it to South Street Seaport- Fairly generic, but within walking distance of both 1 Police Plaza & the Merrill Lynch Brass Bull for pictures.

Please don't ask for a restaurant recommendation. I'd probably tell you to walk to Little Italy & let your noses be your guide.

Well, that's one day.

If you have two, and if you walk fast, I suppose there's The Museum of Natural History....

(Run run, dum-dum...)
Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM

Museum of Natural History
Circle Line (tour boat that circles around Manhattan)
Madam Toussaud's Wax Museum
Central Park Zoo
Serendipity (for lunch w/ huge ice cream sundaes for dessert)
Rockefeller Center (skating rink, adjacent restaurant to watch skaters while you have lunch if you don't skate; take the tour of the studios at 30 Rock--the address, not the TV show)
St. Patrick's Cathedral
Museum of Modern Art
Empire State Building (go to the top if it's a nice, clear day)
FAO Schwarz (toy store)
Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and clearly I'm failing reading for comprehension, I see that the OP *mentioned* Lion King. D'oh!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:23 PM

In Times Square there's the Hershey and M&M's stores, which are probably neat for a kid to go into. Hell, I'm close to 30 and I still think they're neat. Just be careful- they get crowded with tourists.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM

I'll second Serendipity and the zoo. They're both a lot of fun. (And enjoyable for a grown up, IMO!) Serendipity is especially great if you love ice cream. They give you some seriously huge sundaes.

Will also second the Museum of Modern Art. It's having a great exhibit on Tim Burton for a while--not sure when it's ending exactly. I haven't been but I've heard good things about it.

Also seconding Natural History Museum and Mme Tussaud's.

Last edited by Freudian Slit; 02-15-2010 at 02:27 PM..
Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 PM

Another vote for the Empire State Building and Central Park Zoo. I also really enjoyed seeing the Statue of Liberty.

NBC tour was also really cool and for shopping I loved Dylan's Candy Store. FAO Schwarz also has the "Big" Piano and Little Miss Matched - awesome sock shopping for any female.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 PM

I took my daughter when they were 11 & 13. What they remember now, 3 years later, are: the Hershey's store and the giant Toys R Us in Times Square, and the wax museum. They liked seeing the hotel Kevin stayed at in Home Alone 2, the window outside of where they tape the Today show, and now want to go see 30 Rockefeller Plaza because of the TV show. If by some chance you could find out where one of the Law & Orders (or another local production) is filming, that would be cool to see.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Tussaud's is a good idea. Also it would be neat to be there Monday morning to be in the crowd for the NBC (but that strikes me as very early and very cold).

Also I think we will do the Empire State Building if it is clear. Boat tours again make me think COLD!.

We will walk around Time Square and see the shops. I'll check out Serendipity. Where is it? I am a diabetic so I will have to watch her eat her Sunday.

Think she would enjoy walking around China Town and seeing all the little shops?

Also - how about some more eating suggestions?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcrasher View Post
Boat tours again make me think COLD!.

I'll check out Serendipity. Where is it? I am a diabetic so I will have to watch her eat her Sunday.
The Circle Line boat is enclosed. http://www.circleline42.com/site/default.aspx

Serendipity has sandwiches, soups, salads, burgers, fruit, fancy coffees, tea, etc.; you'll find something that you can eat while she has ice cream. Check this link for location and menu: http://www.serendipity3.com/location.htm It's near Bloomingdale's.

Go to ABC (Times Square) instead of NBC and see Good Morning America. Their "audience" gets to be inside.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Will also second the Museum of Modern Art. It's having a great exhibit on Tim Burton for a while--not sure when it's ending exactly. I haven't been but I've heard good things about it.
March 1. Go go go! Go immediately, if not sooner.

I saw it yesterday. It was so much fun! I was with my mom, who's not into movies, and certainly not into Tim Burton-esque stuff, and she absolutely loved it.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 AM

I happen to be watching NBC's a.m. show. They're telecasting from Vancouver. Meredith, Matt & Al are all there. So maybe you don't want to bother trying to see in their NYC window.......
Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Museum of Natural History!!! My favorite!!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 AM

Another vote for FAO Schwartz, a large interesting toy store.

Last edited by control-z; 02-16-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 PM

Every one of you sounds like a tourist

How about a stroll through China Town? Lunch on soome dim sum, buy her a cheap sword. Most of the shops have pos Katanas for <$30. The blades ain't quality, but they do make great wall hangers. They make great gifts.

If she's never been to the MET before, that's a must.

You'll be near Times Square for the show, so, before or after, you should definitely take the short walk to Bryant Park Bryant park for some ice skating

And if your sensibilities run towards coarse, rather than tender, a comedy club might be a fun way thing to do on Saturday night.

FAO Schwartz is a classic kid's stop, but they have a small Ferris Wheel in the Times Square Toys R Us, so you might want to hit up that toy store instead.

Whether or not that's any help, I hope you have a lovely time.

Last edited by Zorlon; 02-16-2010 at 07:17 PM..
Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK View Post
Museum of Natural History!!! My favorite!!
If they still have the butterfly exhibit where you can walk amongst the butterflies (did this about a month ago), you should do that, OP. The hall of ocean life is a must see, too. Love the model of the squid fighting the whale--my favorite in all of the museum. Love the whole ambiance, too, of that part of it.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcrasher View Post
Also - how about some more eating suggestions?
Alice's Teacup (various locations)
http://www.alicesteacup.com/
Peanut Butter & Co.
http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/
Blue Smoke
http://www.bluesmoke.com/
Shake Shack
http://www.shakeshack.com/
Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
http://www.chinatownicecreamfactory.com/
Otto Enoteca
http://www.mariobatali.com/restaurants_otto.cfm
Balthazar
http://www.balthazarny.com/
Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM

I feel like all I do is second other people's awesome suggestions, but Alice's Teacup is great--I think both a kid and adult would appreciate it.

Shake Shack is great, too. If you do decide on the Natural History museum, there's one not too far from it, with indoor seating (not a huge amount, but some!).
Old 02-19-2010, 01:29 PM

How about Ground Zero? She's too young to remember 9/11 but the as-yet-unrebuilt site is still history in the making (presumably it will be different when she visits again as an adult). Across the street is St Paul's chapel, where George Washington worshipped after his first inauguration and which somehow survived the attack.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Thorp View Post
How about Ground Zero? She's too young to remember 9/11 but the as-yet-unrebuilt site is still history in the making (presumably it will be different when she visits again as an adult). Across the street is St Paul's chapel, where George Washington worshipped after his first inauguration and which somehow survived the attack.
Also Downtown then is Trinity Church, The Battery and the ferry to Ellis Island.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Bumping to find out what newcrasher and newercrasher wound up doing!

We just got back from our jaunt. Train up to NY early Saturday morning, then we dropped our stuff at our hotel (thanks, Priceline - got a room at the Millenium Broadway on 44th) then visited the big Toys R Us store (just a few doors down) and then the M&Ms store... then the subway up to the Museum of Natural History.

Moon Unit
had wanted to see Wicked. I couldn't get tix for Wicked for that evening; the matinee the next afternoon would have put things too close to our train departure time so we got tickets for the matinee of Mamma Mia (it started an hour earlier so less risk of missing the train).

I asked her if she wanted to see what show we might get Saturday evening tickets for, from the TKTS booth, hoping she'd want to go for Avenue Q (or the slight chance of Wicked), but she didn't - she wanted to go to Little Italy for dinner then the Empire State Building.

So we did both, including the "sky ride" at the ESB which involves sitting in a movable "car" that tilts and shakes as you watch a large-screen projection of a helicopter tour. That was kind of fun. Then the elevator to the top (or nearly so) - you have to transfer for the last 6 floors. The second elevator had a long 20-minute wait but we could opt to walk up the floors; I sent Moon Unit to do that while I waited for the elevator (bad knees). There was a thick cloud cover coming to just *below* the top of the ESB so we couldn't see any of Manhattan, but we saw New Jersey (no clouds in the west).

We had hoped to see the Tim Burton exhibit at MOMA but you have to buy timed tickets and they were completely sold out. We could have *joined* MOMA for a donation of 75 bucks then that gets you into the exhibits any time, but that sounded pretty steep so we didn't bother. We visited Madame Tussaud's instead, which Moon Unit really enjoyed. Then we walked up to the Winter Garden, picked up our tix, and wandered a bit before heading into the show.

Which was fun, if not the most compelling story. They did a good job of making ABBA's music fit into the story. Moon Unit and I were among many mother-daughter pairs.

The show let out early enough that we were able to try to go to the Nintendo store at Rockefeller Plaza, unfortunately that was completely closed for Easter. So we grabbed dinner at a place called Pret a Manger and then walked down part of the Diamond District's street (but all the stores were closed, and nothing pretty even in the windows). So we went back to the hotel, collected our backpacks, and headed down to Penn Station for the return train.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, Mama Zappa. I had the same prob trying to see the Tim Burton exhibit when I tried to go a while back--very popular, eh?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Wow a lot of great ideas. I have nothing to add; however I have one to take way... I wouldn't go to the top of the Empire State Building with a 10 year old. You have to wait in line FOREVER.

Check out this pic... http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/ne...city-ny297.jpg
Now imagine that there are people every possible space on that floor. There's a reason you see all those roped off paths; it's because you'll wait in line for HOURS to get to the top.

I'll ammend this to say; if you're going to go; get there when they open. I'm GUESSING you have a better chance at not waiting all fricking day to get to the top.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM

If your daughter is into making things, try the craft museum.