The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Stoid Stoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 14,230
How to prove I lived at an address 30 years ago...

I need to prove my identity in order to take possession of some stock.

[Long, dull, completely unnecessary story deleted]

I don't have ANY papers going back that far, I have tried the IRS and they were unhelpful...[more descriptions that are dull and unnecessary deleted, just trying to get to the information...]

I have my birth certificate, my social security card, all kinds of other information. But I've been informed that I must prove that I am not just me, but the me that lived at a particular address at a particular time. The company that has the stock has told me that this is a requirement of the SEC and if I fail to prove who I am according to these rules, the stock will be turned over to the state as unclaimed property.

It seems grossly unfair, and if I am being misinformed, please enlighten me.

The reason I need an address, by the way, is for a NOTARY... the company will accept all the other docs as genuine and proof I am the correct person, if a notary signs off, and a notary won't sign off without the address proof.

Again...seems grossly unfair. THIRTY years later???

So anyway... I wasn't the person whose name was on the phone or utility bills, so that's not helpful, and I no longer remember where I banked, nor do I have any paperwork connected with a banking institution, which I am sure I would need even if I remembered what bank I was with, and if I had that, I would not need to go to the bank.

ARGH!!!


The list of options I have left:
  • The Franchise Tax Board (state payroll tax)

  • MAYBE the Employment Development Department, but I don't think any companies' payroll tax returns include address information for employees.


(By the way, this isn't really for ME, it's for a friend....if it were actually for me, it wouldn't ever have been an issue. First, because I would never simply lose touch with stock I owned, and B. Even if I did, I am a hoarder. I have notes I passed in class in 7th grade, and I'm turning 52 this year. I'm quite sure I could produce proof of every address I ever lived at since I've been old enough to receive mail.)

Last edited by Stoid; 02-19-2010 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Alice The Goon Alice The Goon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
You could look at your (or whoever's) credit report- they often list old addresses.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Polycarp Polycarp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A better place to be
Posts: 26,718
City directories, published by R.L. Polk and others, often listed all residents of a given address. If your friend lived in a city Polk did a directory for, he may well be listed there.

Also considering it's a decennial year, how about the U.S. Census? I'm unsure of whether one can access raw data, as opposed to statistical summaries, but someone seeking proof of where he himself lived in 1980 ought to be able to recover that fact from them, or so it seems to me. (Paging RTFirefly.)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp View Post

Also considering it's a decennial year, how about the U.S. Census? I'm unsure of whether one can access raw data, as opposed to statistical summaries, but someone seeking proof of where he himself lived in 1980 ought to be able to recover that fact from them, or so it seems to me. (Paging RTFirefly.)
Nope.

But, Polycarp's suggestion of city directory is great. It should work. Most public libraries have city directories back that far. Tell friend to contact library, get copy of who lived where and when, then go from there.

Last edited by samclem; 02-19-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Giles Giles is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Newcastle NSW
Posts: 11,985
If the bills were in someone else's name, are you still in touch with that person? And if so, could they confirm that you lived there?

Were you registered as a voter at that address? And if so, do the voter registration records still exist?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Alice The Goon Alice The Goon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Also, if anyone was married, divorced, or born those records would have the address.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM
zamboniracer zamboniracer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Above the Uecker seats.
Posts: 4,723
Maybe the person should consult an attorney. Sometimes companies make up their own rules and inaccurately say they are required to do so by law. A letter from a lawyer asking them to cite chapter and verse might do the trick, or maybe the lawyer could look up chapter and verse and find out that your friend is covered under exception XXX, and therefore need not provide proof of a 30 year old address in order to get the stock.

Last edited by zamboniracer; 02-19-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Can you have two other people to sign a sworn, notarized statement that you were a resident at that address at that time?

Did you own the home? If so, there should be property tax records at the county appraisers office.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-19-2010, 05:00 PM
hajario hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 13,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniracer View Post
Maybe the person should consult an attorney.
She doesn't need an attorney, she has Stoid.

Last edited by hajario; 02-19-2010 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 PM
GreasyJack GreasyJack is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
The reason I need an address, by the way, is for a NOTARY... the company will accept all the other docs as genuine and proof I am the correct person, if a notary signs off, and a notary won't sign off without the address proof.
How many notaries have you tried? If it's anything like my state, the training course thing you have to go through to be a notary is very cursory in nature and so there is a huge difference in individual notaries' interpretation of what they can and can't do.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Tastes of Chocolate Tastes of Chocolate is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: slightly north of center
Posts: 4,262
An old employer? They may have a record of their employees home addresses.
Marriage license?
Insurance agent
School records
Church records
You copy of old tax filings

I'm not sure the idea of a directory or a census listing will work. The notary wants proof that YOU lived at that address, not that Joe Smith lived at that address. Otherwise I could walk in, claim I was George W Bush, and I lived at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. There are lots of records that Mr Bush lived there for a while.

Last edited by Tastes of Chocolate; 02-19-2010 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
The county property assessor should have records of who owned the home.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
t-bonham@scc.net t-bonham@scc.net is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
It's going to be hard to give definitive answers, since a couple of basic facts were not given:
- where this address was (city & state).
- how old the person was at the time.

P.S. Wouldn't be simpler to just find a more 'flexible' notary?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Sunspace Sunspace is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Back in the GT eeehhhh...
Posts: 26,569
Thirty years ago I was in high school. How could I prove that and where I was living?

I'd have to go to the school and ask whether they give me copies of some record they had, like a report card or letter to my parents. Other than that... I wouldn't have had most of the things an adult has. I didn't have a driver's license at the time, for example. Public library records? Would a letter to me at that address do? How close would the postmark have to be to the exact date?

Last edited by Sunspace; 02-19-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Odesio Odesio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
It seems grossly unfair, and if I am being misinformed, please enlighten me.
It certainly raises a big red flag for me. Why would this stock be hers? If it belonged to a relative and she is the next of kin then what difference does it make if you can prove she lived there? So many questions.

City directories are good places to look and one that is thirty years old will be found at the library that specializes is local history, genealogy, and that kind of thing. If she was paying taxes to the city or county at the time then you might want to search the tax records. You might want to search probate records if anyone died and left you something. Census records are no good because the public can't access them until 70 years have past.

Quote:
Again...seems grossly unfair. THIRTY years later???
She needs to ask them what specific rule they're citing that says she has to prove she was in residence at X thirty years in the past. Seriously, it just sounds so darn fishy.

Odesio
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Alice The Goon Alice The Goon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
It's customary to have to provide proof of address for the time period if you're claiming unclaimed funds.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-19-2010, 06:44 PM
jtgain jtgain is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyJack View Post
How many notaries have you tried? If it's anything like my state, the training course thing you have to go through to be a notary is very cursory in nature and so there is a huge difference in individual notaries' interpretation of what they can and can't do.
Agreed. I'm a Florida Notary and all I am attesting to is that it is you who is actually signing the document. You could be claiming that you are the King of Canada in the document for all I care. As long as I know you personally, or you show me a driver's license, then it gets my stamp.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 PM
LurkerInNJ LurkerInNJ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
The reason I need an address, by the way, is for a NOTARY... the company will accept all the other docs as genuine and proof I am the correct person, if a notary signs off, and a notary won't sign off without the address proof.
I'm a notary. I administer oaths and affirmations, and witness signatures with proper ID if I don't personally know someone. It's not my job to discern if someone is telling the truth in whatever they are swearing to or affirming. It's not up to me to prove or disprove anything, other than being reasonably certain that Mr. X is indeed who he says he is.

Your friend is not telling you the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM
LurkerInNJ LurkerInNJ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
It's customary to have to provide proof of address for the time period if you're claiming unclaimed funds.
Sure, to the state ... but not to the notary who is witnessing your signature.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22,550
Lexis/Nexis sometimes has addresses going back that far. Do you have a friend who works for a bank,insurance co or similar?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 PM
LouisB LouisB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Seminole, FL
Posts: 8,220
I'd hate to have to prove what state or city I was living in 30 years ago, much less a street address. Sounds fishy.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Stoid Stoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 14,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerInNJ View Post
I'm a notary. I administer oaths and affirmations, and witness signatures with proper ID if I don't personally know someone. It's not my job to discern if someone is telling the truth in whatever they are swearing to or affirming. It's not up to me to prove or disprove anything, other than being reasonably certain that Mr. X is indeed who he says he is.

Your friend is not telling you the truth.
What a strange conclusion to jump to.

I assure you that not only is my friend telling me the truth, my friend would never lie to me about the color of her lipstick.

Now, it's more than possible that my friend has misunderstood something or miscommunicated it, or I have misunderstood something.

She's going to bring me everything she has in writing and Im going to work on it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Stoid Stoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 14,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Lexis/Nexis sometimes has addresses going back that far. Do you have a friend who works for a bank,insurance co or similar?
Where would I look? I"m very familiar with using Lexis for legal research, and the library makes it available. But where do I look?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Fubaya Fubaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
She says it is the company telling her she needs the proof of residence because it's a requirement of the SEC, but she also says the company will accept her identity if it's notarized, but the notary is who needs the proof of residence. Sounds like the notary may work for the company? Has she tried a local notary?

Just reading it precisely as written doesn't make sense, but I assume she does need to prove where she lived. Who it's for doesn't really matter.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 PM
dalej42 dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,885
Huh? This sounds strange to me and I am a stockbroker. This type of stuff is not what the SEC gets involved in.
What the SEC does
The SEC is much more 'big picture' than caring about who owned what stock 30 years ago.

I'd get much more information from the friend, but this sounds like a requirement of one of those lost property companies who will help you recover escheated property. If your friend had a brokerage account that was inactive 30 years ago, it was probably turned over to the state. I'd had them visit http://www.unclaimed.org/ to see if they're listed there and how to file a claim with their state if it is just some stock that was held at an inactive brokerage account.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
I assure you that not only is my friend telling me the truth, my friend would never lie to me about the color of her lipstick.
The truth is information which is correct. It doesn't matter if she is deliberately misleading you or is simply telling you something which she believes to be untrue but is not; in either case she is not telling you the truth.

LINJ is not necessarily accusing your friend of lying. He's simply saying that what she is telling you is wrong - for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Stoid Stoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 14,230
[QUOTE=dalej42;12140838]Huh? This sounds strange to me and I am a stockbroker./QUOTE]


Thank you for all that information! VERY interesting...and somewhat confusing, at least once the stock is examined.

What does "returned by PO" mean?

And on the California site, it says that if your address is changed you need to verify the reported address.

I've learned that my friend has 60 shares of stock still with the company or broker, not turned over to the state, but reported and they will be in a few months. Those are the 60 Series A shares. Then she has another 200 and another 13 shares that were already turned over to the state at some point int he past and still have the name of the original company on them.

How does one trace what happened in a company over a 30 year span, in terms of stocks, sales, etc? Her stocks were originally all the same company, and now they are two different ones. And it matters, because the majority are in the name of a company trading for $15, the rest are in the name of a company trading for $45.

REALLY:

I disagree with your characterization of what people understand "telling the truth" to mean. If she is mistaken, she isn't "not telling you the truth" - that implies that she knows the truth and is offering something else. When one is reporting something they believe to be true and accurate but which is not, most people would describe that as her being mistaken, not that she is failing to tell the truth - because from her perspective, she is telling the truth as she understands it to be.

"truth" and "fact" are not used interchangeably in this type of expression.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-20-2010, 01:48 AM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
Where would I look? I"m very familiar with using Lexis for legal research, and the library makes it available. But where do I look?
What you need is Public Record search on the SSN. Then get a Report, which will have address going back as far as they have. However, you may need a "permissible use". I do this several times a day.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Just use a different notary. Becoming a notary can be done pretty much by anyone who is not being chased by the law (I was one once) and as others have noted the way different notaries interpret legal ID requirements is all over the map.

Most legal and many executive secretaries are notaries, just pick one you know and get it done.

Last edited by astro; 02-21-2010 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM
md2000 md2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
It seems to me that the whole issue is confusing.

If the issue is "are you the same Sally Smith, 123 Main St., to whom the shares were registered 30 years ago?" - that should be simple to solve. If Sally was too young and her parents rented the house, or if it was her (ex)husband - simply documenting the proven resident and the relationship between her and them should be enough. "Here's a directory entry proving Joe Smith rented the house, and here's my birth certificate showing he's my father. Here's my school records showing I went to nearby Main Street High." I would imagine, unless it's several million dollars, that sort of chain of documents should be proof enough.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
What does "returned by PO" mean?
Returned by Post Office. It means it was returned because of insufficient postage, insufficient address, because the receiving address is vacant or abandoned, for violation of postal false representation laws, the address doesn't exist, the recipient is unknown at the receiving address, the recipient is deceased, the address does not exist, a forwarding order has expired, or because the receiving address has no postal receptacle.

Or probably a dozen other things I've forgotten.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.