The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM

How many unassisted pull-ups and dips can you do?

Subject says it all. Oh, in a single set BTW.

Overhand military style pull-ups. Straight bar, not curved.

Please state age, and (if you like) weight. Also, say whether or not your current number is better or worse than it was, say, 5 years ago. Also say if you feel you are physically fit or not.

I can do 14 pull-ups and 25-35 dips un-weighted (in a single set, maybe more now though as I tend to do 4 sets of 15 w/25lb weight strapped on). 33yr old male.

Thanks!

(FWIW I feel pull-ups should be a part of any sort of physical fitness test. Not a huge number but a physically fit male should be able to do at least 3 unassisted pullups) IMHO.)

Last edited by Cubsfan; 03-11-2010 at 04:41 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

54, male.

20 pull-ups, strict. Dips, I can usually do 25. I weight about 197.

I can actually do more pull-ups than 5 years ago. I have been working on it.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
54, male.

20 pull-ups, strict. Dips, I can usually do 25. I weight about 197.

I can actually do more pull-ups than 5 years ago. I have been working on it.

Regards,
Shodan
Wow thats pretty good. 20 pull-ups at 200lbs is pretty strong. Good for you.

Do you think pull-ups should be a part of a physical fitness assessment (for careers that have them, cops, military, fire etc...)?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:06 PM

I can't do any and never have, though currently I weigh ~300lbs (and losing!) so it's not surprising I can't pick that much up. It's actually one of my goals to lose enough weight/build enough muscle to be able to finally do a pull-up. It used to be part of fitness tests at school and even as a skinny kid I couldn't do them.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

None. I don't like pull-ups.

SPOILER:
Once I graduated to big-boy underpants, I never looked back.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 PM

29 year old male that can do about 15 pull ups.

Whats a dip?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:44 PM

15-20 dips at least and only like 12 pullups. Unfortunately, my wrists aren't healthy, so I can't push or pull on them for too long. So I suck at pullups. With the dips, I can turn my hands in such a way that it doesn't hurt much.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM

None and none! Female, 29. But I'm working on it!

My husband is a Fire Fighter and chin ups are part of their annual physical (as they should be), which he just had yesterday. I seem to recall that he did 14, which is low for him, but he recently had surgery on his shoulder (reconstructed the cup) so his ROM is a bit off and it's sometimes painful to do chin ups. No idea about his dips.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I can do a few dozen dips pretty easily. Maybe half a dozen pull-ups like that? I have always preferred the underhand grip.

25, male, 152lbs as of this afternoon. I am not super buff or anything, but I am well above average for fitness in my demographic at the moment.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 PM

None. Female, 23, about 130 lbs. I have zero muscle strength, though this is something I'm looking to work on.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Male, 50. 195, but losing, down 15 pounds in the last few months and working on both strength and diet.

Anywhere from 10-12 pull ups, and usually can manage 25 strict dips.

Much better on both counts than five years ago.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:08 PM

I can do two pull-ups in a row from a dead-hang. I am female, 24 and 100 lbs. I am pretty fit and have good core and leg strenth for my size (spindly) but typical for a pear-shaped girl my upper-body strength lags, plus I get wrist and shoulder issues if I overdo it. I also don't do enough exercises that would strengthen the muscles needed for pull-ups. Should get on that. A couple years ago I couldn't do one pull-up if my life depended on it.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM

That's easy... none!
42 year old female.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Is a dip a push-up? That's all I can think of, yet I have never heard it called that.

But to answer, I'd say 2 pull-ups, maybe 3, and 20-30 "dips" (I think?)

I'm 27, male, and out of shape, but still an average physique, so I'm just guessing based on how many I could do that last time I was in shape (like 6 years ago, when I could so 8 or 9 pull ups and over 50 push-ups...assuming that is what a dip is.)
Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan View Post
Overhand military style pull-ups. Straight bar, not curved.
33-year-old male, I can do like 6 pull-ups, and I don't do dips so I don't know.

BUT: I do pull-ups using bars that are like dip bars but higher (i.e., so there are two bars that jut out and that I grab onto). I also do them all the way down (i.e., straight arms, hanging) to all the way up (i.e, the little jutty-out bar things touch my shoulders).

Are the kinds of pull-ups I do easier or harder than the straight-bar kind? Using a straight bar just makes my arms feel like they are twisted up strangely. I'll do some straight-bar pull-ups and dips tomorrow just to see what's what.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
Is a dip a push-up? That's all I can think of, yet I have never heard it called that.
Imagine the parallel bars that male gymnasts use. Now imagine holding on to one bar with one hand and another bar with the other, with your arms straight and your body hanging in the middle. Now bend your elbows (whereupon your body dips down between the bars), and then straighten your elbows again. That's a dip.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Probably none, but I haven't tried in around 20 years; 36 yr old male, at 16 I could do 1 1/2. My upper body strength has increased since then but then again so has my weight I can do 30+ full pushups, though.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Rover View Post
33-year-old male, I can do like 6 pull-ups, and I don't do dips so I don't know.

BUT: I do pull-ups using bars that are like dip bars but higher (i.e., so there are two bars that jut out and that I grab onto). I also do them all the way down (i.e., straight arms, hanging) to all the way up (i.e, the little jutty-out bar things touch my shoulders).

Are the kinds of pull-ups I do easier or harder than the straight-bar kind? Using a straight bar just makes my arms feel like they are twisted up strangely. I'll do some straight-bar pull-ups and dips tomorrow just to see what's what.
The pullups you describe are much easier. They primarily work your biceps whereas the regular military pullup works your upper back more.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Female, 26 and 126lb. I can just about get one pull-up from a dead hang, with a tiny cheating wriggle in the middle. With the chin-up grip I can bust out two. I haven't done dips in awhile, and the ones I used to do were (highly!) assisted, so I'm going to take a wild guess and say I can't do any. 5 years ago I could hardly do a girl push-up - I currently have a 70% BW bench/110% BW deadlift/105% BW squat, so I'm a lot stronger and fitter than I used to be.

My 27 year old 172lb husband used to do about 30 pull-ups in a row but now he does them with a 45lb weight - I think he can do 8 in a row. He hasn't done unweighted tricep dips in awhile but he can do about 10 with a 35lb weight. He said he used to assume that all men and women were capable of doing pull-ups, dips and push-ups, and for a long time he just thought I was a tiny weakling.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Zero, male, 62 and 230. I can pull up my pants and dip into the peanut butter, however.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Please state age, and (if you like) weight. Also, say whether or not your current number is better or worse than it was, say, 5 years ago. Also say if you feel you are physically fit or not.
23, male, 170 lbs.

6 pull-ups pronated (military-style), 12 supinated. I don't have access to parallel bars, so I don't do dips regularly, but they're much easier for me--probably 25 or so.

I do not feel physically fit. I have more upper body strength than I did 5 years ago, but my cardiovascular fitness has deteriorated somewhat.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:51 PM

For those who didn't know what they are: Dips
Old 03-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you think pull-ups should be a part of a physical fitness assessment (for careers that have them, cops, military, fire etc...)?
I would rather see dead lifts, which are a better test of "practical" pulling power. But I have back issues, so I can't do dead lifts any more.

Pull-ups and chin-ups don't compress the spine, they stretch it out. Plus they give that V taper to the upper body. I use the same grip width that I use in my bench pressing, to balance out my upper body development.

I used to train with a guy who could do a one-arm chin, and I considered trying to work up to that, but never committed.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 AM

None. I have rotator cuff issues with my left shoulder. Prior to screwing up my shoulder, I could have maybe done one.

I'm reasonably fit from a cardio standpoint, due to distance running, but my upper body strength isn't great.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

I might be able to pull off two pull ups, don't know how many dips. I think the last time I tried dips I could do 10-15, but I've never tried to do as many as possible, usually just sets.

I'm 36, 225 lbs at 6'1". I'm in shape though, at least somewhat as I swim regularly. I've never liked doing either so I never did them.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Tried this with my son just to see

Me: 57 and 280; 4 pull ups; 17 dips

my son: 30 and 143; 56 pull ups; 125 dips (I think he just got tired of doing the dips)

I am obviously not in good shape, son is a professional kickboxer.

Last edited by Lanzy; 03-12-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM

Female, 23, 130 lbs.

12 pull ups on a good day, 8 on a bad day, any number in the middle on any other day. (Last weekend, I did 7 behind-the-neck pull ups. I know you didn't ask about those, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to brag.) Five years ago, I couldn't do any pull ups.

As for dips, it depends on what you count. I do 15 reps for my first set and have never tried to do more than that, but my elbows go out to the side and I know they're actually supposed to stay parallel to the bars. I can't make them go back but I think some of that has to with the size of my frame in relation to how far apart the bars I use are set.

Physical fitness level: I work out with weights for about an hour a day four days a week, and run on the treadmill for about 50 minutes twice a week.

Last edited by The wind of my soul; 03-12-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 AM

Male, 30, 245lbs, can do maybe 2-3 pull-ups max. My upper body strength regularly defies attempts to improve it.

On the other hand, I can pick up and carry objects that weigh 275-300 lbs for quite a distance. Muscles are weird.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzy View Post
Tried this with my son just to see

Me: 57 and 280; 4 pull ups; 17 dips

my son: 30 and 143; 56 pull ups; 125 dips (I think he just got tired of doing the dips)

I am obviously not in good shape, son is a professional kickboxer.
Wow. That's a shitload of pullups. Overhand right? Not underhand?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Male, 140 pounds, I think I can do about 15 pullups. I don't have a dip-bar so not sure how many dips I can do.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM

It's the Internet so...I'm up to a thousand a day.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM

male, 49, 210#

I'm sure I could not do even a single pull-up, and might be able to do 3 dips.
Never could do many pull/chin-ups. Part may be due to my long arms, but more undoubtedly due to my being a weakling. Always had pretty strong core, legs, and shoulders, but just never could do many pull-ups. (Never really tried to increase them either, tho.) Always had the toughest time developing my chest/arms.

At my strongest, about a decade ago, I lifted my way up from 185# to 215#. At one point I did 6 pull-ups, my all-time best. Could crank out quite a few dips.

Now that I don't train as seriously anymore, and am just trying to keep in shape for an old man, I doubt I'll ever be able to do an unassisted pull-up again.

Last summer I saw my 20-year-old kid crank out 30 without slowing down. I've passed the torch!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

None. 64-year old female. I couldn't do any when I was a teenager, either. Or at any time in between. I don't particularly care, either, as I cannot for the life of me figure out what good it would do.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:09 PM

35-40 pull ups, probably about half that many dips. I haven't done those in long while.

I'm Male, 30 years old. 5'7", 160 lbs. I consider myself strong, but probably not fit in usual "lean runner cardio guy fit". That's better than five years ago. I've only gotten stronger over the past years though that window will probably close by 40.

Last edited by Acid Lamp; 03-12-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

When I was at my peak fitness, which isn't anywhere near "fit" for normal people (24, female, 220#) I could not do one single pull-up or dip. I worked out with my friend 3-4 days a week and he'd always be working on his pull-ups, and I just couldn't do it.

It was weird, I would hang on the bar and be all "dude, I can't even imagine how to engage the muscles needed for this activity." I don't think I could figure it out!

My strength is 100% in my legs.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Male, 35, 205 lbs and I can do six pull-ups. That's up from two a couple of years ago, when I started rock climbing. I've been working on it, but I may have plateaued since I started using more technique as opposed to strength when climbing.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Male, 34, 5'11", 165 lbs. I just tried it and I almost got off two pull-ups. I don't ever remember being able to do more than two or three. I'm in very good cardiovascular shape, just don't have a lot of upper body strength. My strength is my legs (I'm a runner), although now I want to work on pullups. It's hard to do so when you can only do one or two at a time, though.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-12-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 PM

I can do 7 pull ups and around 25 dips. I'm 25, not in good shape.

In high school I could do around 15 pull ups and 45-50 dips.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 PM

The last time I even tried to do a pullup was gym class senior year (class of '03). I think I managed 2 or 3.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 AM

Big pullup and dip numbers are kinda like supernatural phenomena: you'll forever hear stories, but when critical observers are present, things tend to shrivel up.

Range of motion is a HUGE factor in both of these exercises. People routinely and unwittingly cut the ROM on both ends, making reps way easier. I have a friend who completed 14 pull-ups in an army fitness test. While on a leave, he asked to try out my pullup bar. I showed him the way they are supposed to be done (from a still dead hang to bar hitting the upper sternum), and he got six reps. Similarly, dips done from full extension on the concentric to biceps hitting the forearms on the eccentric tend to reach really low numbers as opposed to half-assed, hurried reps.

Big pullup and chinup numbers, up to 100+, are done by kipping, or using full-body momentum to "swing" oneself up and down. By comparison, 40+ strict pullups is a world-class feat.

At 200#, I can do 14 strict chinups, only 8 strict pullups, and 24 army-style, kipping, short -range chins.

As Shodan noted above, unweighted pullups aren't that good an indicator of strength. Past a dozen reps or so, it's a question of muscular endurance, not strength. Hook 50 % or more of your bodyweight in iron onto your belt and then it becomes a test of strength.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxylon View Post
Big pullup and dip numbers are kinda like supernatural phenomena: you'll forever hear stories, but when critical observers are present, things tend to shrivel up.

Range of motion is a HUGE factor in both of these exercises. People routinely and unwittingly cut the ROM on both ends, making reps way easier. I have a friend who completed 14 pull-ups in an army fitness test. While on a leave, he asked to try out my pullup bar. I showed him the way they are supposed to be done (from a still dead hang to bar hitting the upper sternum), and he got six reps. Similarly, dips done from full extension on the concentric to biceps hitting the forearms on the eccentric tend to reach really low numbers as opposed to half-assed, hurried reps.

Big pullup and chinup numbers, up to 100+, are done by kipping, or using full-body momentum to "swing" oneself up and down. By comparison, 40+ strict pullups is a world-class feat.

At 200#, I can do 14 strict chinups, only 8 strict pullups, and 24 army-style, kipping, short -range chins.

As Shodan noted above, unweighted pullups aren't that good an indicator of strength. Past a dozen reps or so, it's a question of muscular endurance, not strength. Hook 50 % or more of your bodyweight in iron onto your belt and then it becomes a test of strength.
All true, though I'm not sure I agree with the bar hitting the upper sternum requirement on pull-ups as I've rarely seen people do that. I've seen people do dips where they only move a few inches up and down. I see the same problem with people on stairclimbers where they only lift their legs a few inches at a time at high speed.

Ultimately as long as you fatigue your muscles it really doesn't matter if you do it with 10 real-dips or 30 sorta-dips I guess.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Since I started working out again in January, I've quickly gotten into better shape than I've probably ever been before. At the beginning, I couldn't do a single dip. Now, I'm up to two sets of 10 reps, and a third set with 7. I don't usually do pull-ups, but last time at the gym I did about 10. Both exercises are/were done at the end of my weight-lifting workout. I think just going straight from warm-up to dips I could manage a couple dozen; pull-ups, maybe 12 or 15.

6'2", 190#, 34 year-old male.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

None, but I've also never tried. I suspect that if I tried, the answer would still be "none". I'm stronger than I was a few years back, especially my arms, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do any.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Zero. I've been trying and trying for weeks since the WARM-UP for my chosen exercise requires 10 of them a rep, and they said even somebody weak should be able to work up to at least 5 in a month or so. But I get halfway up and die. I tried the whole "weight band assisted" thing with a 10lb band and that didn't really help.

I really wish I could do one, I heard they become a lot easier after one.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
Zero. I've been trying and trying for weeks since the WARM-UP for my chosen exercise requires 10 of them a rep, and they said even somebody weak should be able to work up to at least 5 in a month or so. But I get halfway up and die. I tried the whole "weight band assisted" thing with a 10lb band and that didn't really help.

I really wish I could do one, I heard they become a lot easier after one.
Oh, and I can't do a chin either. Weak upper body strength runs in the family.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow. That's a shitload of pullups. Overhand right? Not underhand?
Overhand, Yes. Chinups he uses a 30lb vest.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
Female, 23, 130 lbs.

12 pull ups on a good day, 8 on a bad day, any number in the middle on any other day.
Jesus. And here I was feeling myself because I'm a female who can manage a whole 2 pull ups. Now I shall hang my head in shame.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM

I've been working on it and I can now do 5 pull-ups from a dead hang. I can see the muscle mass I've put on in my upper body.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
For those who didn't know what they are: Dips
Thanks, that's a very clear link.

I've never done a dip or even been anywhere that you could do a dip (and I have used gyms), so I haven't a clue how many I could do.

I can just about manage three pull-ups from standing (no jumping to help). That's using a pull-up bar that I bought to put in my doorframe. My left wrist is messed up, but I'm still surprised at how hard I find these exercises.

Does it make it harder or easier that the bar is only a tiny bit above my head height? It feels like it makes it harder. I've used the monkey bars at the park a few times as an adult and it was much easier on the really high ones.

They shouldn't be used in standard military testing if you have to buy special equipment to practice them.

Last edited by SciFiSam; 10-31-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifisam2009 View Post

I've never done a dip or even been anywhere that you could do a dip (and I have used gyms), so I haven't a clue how many I could do.
I don't think theres a gym in America that doesn't have a dip machine or at least dip bars. You probably just didn't notice it.

Quote:
They shouldn't be used in standard military testing if you have to buy special equipment to practice them.
Find something above your head to hold onto and pull up. No special equipment needed.