Running Gag: "Make up!"

Does anyone remember which show (or shows) had an episode where anytime someone said the phrase “make up” someone off screen would yell “Make up!” and run out with a powder puff and swat them in the face with it, leaving powder all over the place?

I’m hoping to find it (or them) on Youtube, but using the phrase “make up powder puff” is only getting me results for how to apply make up, and adding “running gag” gets me nothing. I keep thinking it’s the Muppets for some reason, but so far no joy.

I remember this gag being used on H.R. Pufnstuf and an episode of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour.

It sort of has a Police Squad feel about it.

I thought it came from Milton Berle’s show back in the 1950s. Looking now to see if I can find a clip or reference to it.

Definitely Uncle Miltie.

If my Google-fu serves me correctly, it was a staple of Milton Berle’s show. Cite:

having had time to reflect, I’m going to go with Milton Berle.

Man, I love this place. Now to see if Youtube has it …

I mentioned seeing it on an episode of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour. Milton Berle was featured heavily in that particular sketch.

Milton Berle; he did a version of on “Laugh In” once, when Henry Gibson came out with a Tiny powder puff.

I have no trouble believing it originated with Milton Berle but I’ve seen the sketch in question and never seen the Milton Berle show. I’d be interested to see if anyone else can remember where else it was done. Now that the Brady Bunch Hour has been mentioned, I can kind of picture it being on the original Brady Bunch series (I’m sure I saw TCH but I have no recollection of anything specific from it). Now I’m even imaging I might have seen a send up on a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

In my head I see it being done on the Muppet Show, but it could be my imagination.

A-ha: The Muppet Show with guest star Uncle Miltie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JlPH8pqVd4

I can’t think of anything specific, but it’s been paid tribute to A LOT. My friends and I used to do it when we were kids, and I doubt any of us ever saw the Milton Berle show.

Bugs Bunny jumped to my mind as well, specifically Yosemite Sam. But I’m sure they were doing it as a reference to someone else - presumably Milton Berle.

Of course they were—you don’t think they’d just make up something like that, do you?

Well, no - that’s why I said I was sure it was a reference to someone else.
:confused:

When you realize the foundation for what’s he’s doing there, you’re gonna blush.

Masterful meta-whoosh, sir.

Totally agree. He really captured the essence of the thing. :smiley:

I recall a Bugs Bunny-Daffy Duck cartoon in which Bugs was becoming a big TV star, while the jealous Daffy was TRYING to become a TV star.

Daffy tries all kinds of roles, even working several scenes as a stunt man. But naturally, Daffy was constantly getting blown up, at which point he’d yell “Maaakeuuupp!”

It’s possible that was an allusion to a joke the audience had already heard from Milton Berle many times. But I’ve seen the Daffy cartoon many times, and have never seen any of Berle’s routines. Today, there may be more people who recognize it from the Bugs-Dafy cartoon.