There exists no song worse than "Sweet Soul Sister" by Train

This song is terrible. Absolute garbage. One of (if not the single) worst song ever written and recorded. I refuse to even provide a link to it so those who haven’t heard it can do so, because I would consider such an act to be in violation of The Geneva Convention.

The problem is, is that no one believes me! Everyone I talk to this about is of the opinion that “oh, it’s such a sweet song! It’s genuine and honest and…and…sweet!

Not, it’s NOT honest and genuine. In fact, it couldn’t be further from that. It’s a song written entirely to take advantage of the fact that every God-damn woman who hears it will go,

“Oooh…I wish someone would feel that way about meeeeeeee. :(”

It’s playing to the lowest fucking denominator, and on top of that, it’s repetetive to that point of nausea, took absolutely no musical talent to write, play or sing, and it’s one of the biggest ear-worms I’ve ever heard, such that I hear it once and it’s in my head all day, and of course the station I am forced to listen to at work plays it at least once an hour.

Train can suck my horse cock, lick my salty balls, and kiss my hairy ass till they choke on all three and rot in Hell for their sins against humanity.

Glad we got that cleared up! Whew.

I had never heard it before, just listened to a minute of it now, and immediately thought it was going to be a cover of that “over the rainbow song” , same ukelele playing the same chords. conveniently the same target audience too!

I LOVE the strength of your feeling bouv, although I don’t know this song. I have heard a song by Train so I can imagine you’re in the right ballpark.
Despite this, your wrong about it being the worst song in existance because we are cursed with the entire ouvre of Snow Patrol. If I had to pick one it would be Chasing Cars. Makes me nauseous having it in my head.
The song’s appearance in The Gavin and Stacey finale ruined the episode for me.
I play in a covers band and our card says ‘No Snow Patrol - guaranteed!’
I really get angry at the faux sentiment and sloppy half-arsed writing so maybe that’s a shared experience in both Train and Snow Patrol.

MiM

I don’t see the sweetness… I just thought it was about a geeky white guy courting a black woman. Not a very good song at that, either.

And the line about gangstas and thugs makes me laugh and cringe for it… I don’t like mentions of those in my rap, much less would I want them mentioned in light sunny Sunday morning music.

I have several songs off that album and a lot of the lyrics are questionable. I do like the song “If It’s Love” but I HATE this verse:

*Took a loan on a house I own
Can’t be a queen bee without a bee throne
I wanna buy ya everything
Except cologne
'cause it’s poison *

I YouTubed it - it’s called “Hey Soul Sister” not “Sweet…”

And it is pants, isn’t it?

It’s devoid of any genuine emotion or sentiment, and appears to be cashing in on that one guy with a ukuklele who is a carbon copy of Jack Johnson who himself partly rode on the coat tails of Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.

I wouldn’t say it’s the worst song in the world, but it certainly makes me want to stab myself in the ears repeatedly, and I will never voluntarily listen to it again.

“Sweet Soul Sister” is an old the Cult song. Great band. Don’t know anything about Train, but I’m guessing their song is not a cover.

There’s a new radio station in Cleveland that is all locally owned and operated. They play “rock and blues” and their target audience is 35-45 year olds.

I like the idea of the station, and I want to support it, but they are making it incredibly hard for me to keep the dial tuned to them for very long. They seem to have about two dozen songs that they play over and over again. I mean, seriously, I am hardly ever in the car except for short trips every so often and I still manage to hear these songs all the time.

This “Soul Sister” song is one of them. Another is Gimme Sympathy by Metric (“Who would you rather be? The Beatles or the Rolling Stones?”) STFU! I could go on and on listing the songs I hear every time I get into the car, but I digress.

The song in the OP is pretty bad, but I find myself being inundated with similarly bad songs so I’m going to have to vote for “not the worst ever, but part of a whole genre of shit.”

FTR I saw Train open for Ben Folds Five once, many moons ago, and thought they were absolute shit then too. Glad I turned out to be right.

When I saw the title, I clicked on it because I thought it was going to be about The Cult (which I thought was good 20 years ago, but now can’t STAND to listen to even a minute of it).

The song by Train is “Hey Soul Sister”, but I don’t think it’s all that bad.

I wouldn’t buy the CD, but I don’t change the station when it comes on the radio.

I agree with the OP that

and also this:

And every Jack Johnson tune I’ve heard sounds like a clever guy saying what he thinks a woman wants to hear so he can get laid, and he NAILED it, because chicks just ate that shit up.
And I’m glad it’s not a cover of The Cult song, because The Cult were a great fucking bad ass loud Rock band in a time when great fucking bad ass loud Rock bands didn’t get much airplay, except for the dinosaurs of rock.

Word. My three female twenties cousins went to see him live, sitting in the front row, and to hear them talk I believe there wasn’t a dry seat between them. Dude’s a talented, charming, self-deprecating, good looking, buff surfer jock who knows what to sing to get the ladies frothing. Wanker.

Sorry not nearly bad enough. No song today is ever going to be as bad as music from the old days. AKA my youth.

And here is why.

Today, music is a choice. You don’t ever have to listen to a song you don’t want to hear. Everyone has a personal music device and you program it. Or there are 500 internet radio stations.

Back when I was kid and I had to walk uphill to school in four feet of snow (can we abbreviate that? Someone get on an abbreviation for that.) There were like 6 radio stations. One was classical music, 3 were country and only two played pop or rock. Having an 8 trac in the car was a big deal. And other people decided what was played on the radio. Apparently they put it to a vote and what ever was the most popular was played 3 or 4 times an hour. And they could stay there for weeks or even months. You don’t know what a bad song is till you have to listen to every 15 minutes for 10 weeks. One of these days, I’m going to find the person that light up Debbie Boon’s life and I am going to do to them such things, that they will be the terror of the earth.

Alright, that’s it! In the other thread, I was supposed to dislike Pink Floyd because I’m a woman. Now I read that I’m supposed love Train and Jack Johnson.

What am I? Half man, half woman, three-quarters badger? :eek:

I’m sorry, you’re wrong, there is a worse song and it’s also by Train. It’s called Meet Virginia or something. They rhyme “beautiful” with … hold on … you won’t believe it! … “beautiful” and they do it several times in the song. Then the rhyme President with … you’ll never guess … President!

Then there’s the stupid bit about her wearing high heels when she exercises. If there’s a real inspiration for this song I hope she breaks her ankles.

“Steal My Sunshine” by Len has to be an honorable mention.

Sounds like typical pop to me. Nothing there to hate, really.

I’ve managed to avoid hearing this song so far, but I’m skeptical that it’s worse than “Drops Of Jupiter.” The thought of there being a worse Train song than that is unsettling.

Actually, I kinda like the song, but … I guess I just look at it differently. I see it sung by some guy who is really, -really- clueless about what he’s doing, romance-wise, and is just flinging meaningless words and phrases until they stick. It’s more a humor thing than a romance thing for me.

When I first heard the lines “Hey Soul Sister, ain’t that Mr. Mister on the radio stereo…” I thought what the hell year is this? 1983? Mr. Mister isn’t on any “radio stereo” I’ve heard lately.

Then I saw the lead singer of Train, and went “Aw, the old man’s trying to be hip.”