The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Tip the shuttle bus driver?
Yes 62 46.27%
No 44 32.84%
Depends/Other 28 20.90%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Are you supposed to tip the hotel shuttle bus driver? (US)

If your hotel provides a courtesy transportation service to and from the airport, are you supposed to tip the driver?

Seems like you have tip EVERYONE in the US these days. I'm always super sensitive about tipping because of the stereotype that minorities are cheap when it comes to tipping. I always end up erring on the side of generosity.
Advertisements  
Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

He/she'll generally load and unload your luggage, so $1 per bag as a general rule. More if conditions warrant.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM

They are paid wages, therefore I don't tip. Then again I don't tip waitstaff more than I have to either.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Sounds like tipping in the US is getting WAY out of hand.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM

On of my previous jobs at a hotel (in Canada) included driving the courtesy shuttle. It wasn't to the airport very often, mostly to and from local offices/restaurants.

Tips were extremely rare, 1 or 2 a month rare; which explains why it wasn't as popular a duty as room service delivery.

On the other hand most of the people who did tip were American so perhaps they were used to tipping for similar services in the states.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 PM

My friend from the UK was horrified when she learned you were expected to tip someone for cutting your hair. So was I actually (having been out of the US for 11 years).

I do think it's ridiculous, but I also don't want to appear cheap just to make a point. When in Rome and all that.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM

I would probably tip them if they helped me with bags or were otherwise helpful like offering advise on things to see or do. If they're just doing whatever they do - driving around a bus, then I don't tip bus drivers.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Most of the time I do. No one looks at you weird if you don't. I have also stayed at hotels where the managment forbade the practice.

If they help with bags then definitely I would. Most of the time, I use the shuttles for short trips around town to pick up dinner or something, so I will usually tip for that.

Its a crappy job so I don't mind giving them a buck for a pleasant ride.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:34 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I've never heard of this. I might do it if one helped me with my luggage, but otherwise not. But in my experience, the driver generally stays behind the wheel and doesn't touch the luggage. When the van gets to the hotel, the bellhop takes the luggage, and I tip him.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Those people make out like bandits mainly 'cause they never report their tips.

I've worked at many airport hotels in Chicago and Maryland and the standard tip is $1.00 for the ride. If you have a bag that they carry in, it's another $1.00 per bag.

If you don't want to tip them then give them a buck for the ride and carry your own bags. I always thought it was odd that the bellmen and drivers made as much as the desk clerks, yet were tipped and unlike waiters never reported them.

I used to to get quite a kick out of it when I was the asst controller, and I would tell the drivers and bellman they have to report those tips, and they would, say "No you don't."
Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 AM

I usually wouldn't. I might consider tipping him/her if he was especially friendly and handled my luggage.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
My friend from the UK was horrified when she learned you were expected to tip someone for cutting your hair.
I always tip my hairdresser, she does a great job and I appreciate what she does for me.

I'd tip the shuttle bus driver too, just like I'd tip a cabbie.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM

Loads your giant suitcase? Yes. Hands up your backpack? No.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I've never heard of this. I might do it if one helped me with my luggage, but otherwise not. But in my experience, the driver generally stays behind the wheel and doesn't touch the luggage. When the van gets to the hotel, the bellhop takes the luggage, and I tip him.
Me either. I always have to unload my own bags so I see no reason to tip the driver.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM

I tip him $1 for every suitcase that he handles. If I only have carry-on, then I don't give a tip.

ETA: Much of this habit comes from travelling with my wife, who is very generous. She gives to everybody.

Last edited by suranyi; 03-29-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
I would probably tip them if they helped me with bags or were otherwise helpful like offering advise on things to see or do. If they're just doing whatever they do - driving around a bus, then I don't tip bus drivers.
^ This.

The only drivers I tip for just driving me around are taxi drivers.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 AM

I tip them if they handle my/our bags. And they usually handle the bags as I become a slacker when traveling.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM

I tipped one a dollar the other day. He had a tip cup on the console. No luggage, just a shuttle from one building to the flower show and back. I'd throw him a fin with luggage.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I'm always super sensitive about tipping because of the stereotype that minorities are cheap when it comes to tipping. I always end up erring on the side of generosity.
I think they're catching on to Operation: Whitey Discount.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 AM

Give em a buck or 2.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
My friend from the UK was horrified when she learned you were expected to tip someone for cutting your hair. So was I actually (having been out of the US for 11 years).

I do think it's ridiculous, but I also don't want to appear cheap just to make a point. When in Rome and all that.
Of course you tip your hair cutter!

Good rule of thumb - tip anyone that does something for you (service) if they don't seem to be making large sums of money (haircutters, van drivers, etc.)

I especially tip nicely on people I see regularly (My haircutter gets $5 per visit on a $13 charge)...I want these people to be at least somewhat happy to see me come in.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If your hotel provides a courtesy transportation service to and from the airport, are you supposed to tip the driver?
Usually a dollar a bag; more if the hotel is far from the airport.

Yeah, I've seen tip cups in some really unlikely locations; carry-out Chinese and fast food restaurants, ice cream parlors, and the like. A buck for the guy who chops up your food at the Mongolian buffet? I dunno.

Last edited by elmwood; 03-30-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM

I drove a hotel shuttle van for a few years and I'd say I was tipped at least 80-90% of the time. Enough so that I noticed when I wasn't tipped. Tips usually fell in the $1-2 per person range. Sometimes more if a person had a lot of bags. Most I ever got was $20, but that was for a huge family w/ a LOT of bags. $5 tips were normal enough that they didn't stand out.

Now that I travel myself, I always tip shuttle drivers. I do notice that I'm usually the only person in the van that does, though.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingDuck View Post
...I want these people to be at least somewhat happy to see me come in.
I want them to be so happy to see me that they'll tip me.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 PM

This is why I hate tipping. The hotel shuttle bus driver?? Who'd have thought that would be a tipping situation? When I'm traveling, I've got enough to keep track of, without having to determine whether random services constitute tipping situations, and making some guess at the appropriate tip.

And thinking about it, I'm thinking no, this one isn't a tipping situation, unless one is so inclined.

By comparison, I tip skycaps in the airport for hauling my bags from the rental car garage to the baggage check-in line. And if I'm in a hotel where bellhops put your bags on a cart at the front desk (or even better, put your bags on a cart when you pull up in your car) and haul them up to your room, I tip. In both cases, somewhere around $2-2.50/bag, depending on what bills I've got and how many bags there were.

Compared to that, taking a bag off the pavement and putting it in the courtesy van's luggage area is pretty small potatoes. Hell, I've already done at least that much lifting and carrying with my bag several times over by then.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I want them to be so happy to see me that they'll tip me.
Yea..but that won't happen with me...cuz I aint the most interesting man alive (though I do like Dos Equis).
Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Of course you tip your hair cutter!

Good rule of thumb - tip anyone that does something for you (service) if they don't seem to be making large sums of money (haircutters, van drivers, etc.)

I especially tip nicely on people I see regularly (My haircutter gets $5 per visit on a $13 charge)...I want these people to be at least somewhat happy to see me come in.
Would that include checkout clerks ?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 PM

I really find that, around here, people are poor enough that tipping doesn't really happen often, except for waitstaff at restaraunts. (Around here, Applebees is considered high-priced dining.)
Old 03-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life View Post
No...they are doing a service for the store.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
As do I, for the same reason. It's also a good way for me to alleviate my guilt over keeping him after a long day.

Quote:
No, although I am far more likely to tip cashiers at independent bakeries (for example) than franchises. I think that this is common among Americans, am I far off the mark?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Tipping cashiers??? Good Lord! It really has gotten out of hand since I left America.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 PM

If the driver gets out of the seat and helps load bags onto the shuttle, and then helps take them off - sure, if they are pleasant while doing so, even more so.

If they sit behind the wheel like a knot on a log - Hell no
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I'll tip if the guy helps me with my bags . . . one more reason to travel light.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 PM

The Sheraton in Reston, VA, has a sign along the lines that the shuttle is complementary, but the drivers appreciate gratuities. For a ride to the office I tip $2 and to the airport I tip $5. Given that my alternative would be taxis, it's a bargain.

Edited to add: No bags to the office of course, and one suitcase to the airport.

Last edited by Lord Mondegreen; 03-30-2010 at 11:38 PM..
Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
No...they are doing a service for the store.

And the porter, waiter etc. is merely someone who happens to be hanging around a place of work ?

So that if that actually do something like carrying your bags or serving you your meal then they are in fact not doing it as part of their employment but as a personal favour for you.?

Recently in the U.S. after getting routinely peed off by staff pestering me instead of allowing me to enjoy my meal or whatever in peace,I experimented by tipping them at the start instead of at the end of their service.

The tips were quite generous by American standards.
Result ?

I found it very difficult to have even my basic needs attended to.

I believe in tipping for better then normal service but tipping in the U.S. is at an unhealthy level.

And it doesn't enhance the tourists holiday enjoyment by the begging notices that seem to be posted in every shuttle, diner, you name it.

Please give our staff money because we don't.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 AM

I don't tip them, but once one of them helped retrieve me cellphone, and I did tip him!! I think if they do something special then it would be nice to tip them. But normally no.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
And the porter, waiter etc. is merely someone who happens to be hanging around a place of work ?

So that if that actually do something like carrying your bags or serving you your meal then they are in fact not doing it as part of their employment but as a personal favour for you.?

Recently in the U.S. after getting routinely peed off by staff pestering me instead of allowing me to enjoy my meal or whatever in peace,I experimented by tipping them at the start instead of at the end of their service.

The tips were quite generous by American standards.
Result ?

I found it very difficult to have even my basic needs attended to.

I believe in tipping for better then normal service but tipping in the U.S. is at an unhealthy level.

And it doesn't enhance the tourists holiday enjoyment by the begging notices that seem to be posted in every shuttle, diner, you name it.

Please give our staff money because we don't.
Someone carrying my bags I would tip. The cashier? No. He's not doing me any service...he's taking my money! Just like the hotel front desk...I don't tip them, that is where I go to pay the bill.

As for tipping to get better than normal service...

For one offs it's not going to work. You tip them because, well you are a gentleman (or a lady). It's crass to not tip them. Like it or not, American culture has tipping and yes, you are in fact, paying their wages. The store/business isn't paying them enough and you are making up for it.

However, I argue that this IS a better way to do it. If you suck at your job, you will get less tips and that will encourage you to find a different job. If you are great at your job, you will be rewarded. This way I have some control over how much the employee makes...and I think that is more efficient and better overall than the business raising prices and paying better.

Back to one offs and getting great service. In order for this to work it has to be at a place where you revisit frequently and/or you will be staying awhile. You also need to tip above the norm to be recognised.

Say your haircutter - you go to one you haven't been at before, leave a nice tip and never return...you won't see any above average service. You go back for your 50th haircut tipping nicely every time...then yes, you should.

Say you go to a bar with your buddies to eat and play darts or whatever. The place is busy. The waitress comes over, you joke with her, order a couple pitchers of beer, she comes back and you tip her $10 (say a 50%+ tip). You can bet your ass you will be kept track of better to see if you want more.

If you do not - then you should still tip because you have class. However it should be an average tip. For above average tips you want above average service.

Last edited by BlinkingDuck; 04-01-2010 at 09:45 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Tipping in the US is way out of hand. But I do tip the shuttle bus. I sometimes travel for business, usually to the same destination for weeks/months at a time. A shuttle to/from the airport, and often to/from the client site saves my client significant $$ on rental expenses. Plus, the staff recognizes me and you tend to get little niceties that you might not otherwise get.

Most of the hotel staff is likely working for crap wages and minimal benefits. The $2/ride will go farther for them then for me.

ETA: I stopped tipping for room service though. Most hotels add a gratuity plus a delivery charge as is. Frigging ridiculous to add even more. Though if I make the delivery person run around more than one trip, I'll slip him or her something.

Last edited by D_Odds; 04-01-2010 at 09:53 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM

I work at a ski resort and our bell service guys are the ones who run the airport shuttles -- they do the stuff like loading and unloading your luggage, besides the more traditional getting it to your room for you and running random errands. And yes, tipping is normal for them. They do pretty well in tips, I hear. It's not an easy job -- not technically complicated, but there's a lot of slinging heavy stuff around. They work hard.

I'm in reservations and have never gotten a monetary tip, but I've gotten a few thank you notes and small gifts -- one guy last week said he'd bring me chocolate because I found a better package for him than the one he had booked, I assumed he was mostly joking, and much to my surprise, when I got back from my weekend, there it was on my desk. Yum! I don't expect it but when it happens, it's nice. I would never expect a tip either where I am or at the front desk, though. It wouldn't make sense.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Someone carrying my bags I would tip. The cashier? No. He's not doing me any service...he's taking my money! Just like the hotel front desk...I don't tip them, that is where I go to pay the bill.
Cashier was a bad choice of term. I assume that you tip Bartenders, what about baristas? Coffee drinks can be far more involved than a lot of bar drinks.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
^ This.

The only drivers I tip for just driving me around are taxi drivers.
Let me see. Your courtesy van driver just saved you a huge taxi fare, does the exact same thing as a taxi driver, and yet he doesn't deserve a tip. Makes no sense to me.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 PM

No. I was planning to but he was horrible. (Not from a hotel, but the NYC-Newark shuttlebus). But I had expected to.

Quote:
That's weird - it's actually the norm to tip your hairdresser in the UK. Maybe not if it's a dash-in, dash-out $5 trim place, but otherwise hairdressing is one area where a tip is expected.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Tipped our airport shuttle drivers for our luggage because Mom and I had very heavy lugggage on the most recent vacation. We could have tipped the hotel housekeeping staff a little more, i think, because they work very hard jobs.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

When I travel with the family, I do tip shuttle drivers that help with the bags. It's too hard when I'm trying to keep the kids from getting lost or something. When I travel on busines, I never tip the drivers but I schlep my own bags. I don't want to wait, give the driver my bag, let him store it in a way where I'm not sure where it is or if I've got something that could get damaged. Nope, I jump on the bus with my bags myself, ditto on getting off.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 PM

YES.

I tip my hairdresser, too - and generously.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogolfer View Post
Let me see. Your courtesy van driver just saved you a huge taxi fare, does the exact same thing as a taxi driver, and yet he doesn't deserve a tip. Makes no sense to me.
Your courtesy van driver, whose job is to do that and he gets paid for it and doesn't do it out of the goodness of his heart, just saved you a huge taxi fare. I might as well tip the plane pilot and the crew, THEY saved me a huuuuuuuge taxi fare.

I'm a generous tipper by my country's standard and a good one in the US, but I hate expected tips. Expected generosity is a tax and not a tip.

Last edited by Ají de Gallina; 09-04-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ají de Gallina View Post
Your courtesy van driver, whose job is to do that and he gets paid for it and doesn't do it out of the goodness of his heart, just saved you a huge taxi fare. I might as well tip the plane pilot and the crew, THEY saved me a huuuuuuuge taxi fare.

I'm a generous tipper by my country's standard and a good one in the US, but I hate expected tips. Expected generosity is a tax and not a tip.
I think your statement just made you 'not a generous tipper' by US standards.

http://www.couponsherpa.com/ask-coup...r-63-services/

Do you guys (er, Dopers) tip while at casinos?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

In the airline biz I ride a hotel van 2x/day 12-15 days/ month.

Every pilot always tips $1 for the 1, 2, or occasionally 3 bags we carry. Flight attendants tip $1 or very occasionally 50 cents. They all have 2 or 3 bags, although all but the main one is pretty small.

Crews have been tipping a buck a head since the 1970s. So relatively speaking the value of the tips we give has gone way down. Then again, so have our wages & so has the quality of hotels we stay in.

I do see that when we share a van with non-airline folks, those folks tip about 1 time in 3 or 4. And it's strongly correlated with the tipper having a pile of luggage; the typical businessman with a small rollaboard & a laptop bag doesn't tip, period.

In our case we're not really paying for them to move our bags from pavement to van compartment or compartment to pavement. We're mostly incentivinzing them to be there waiting curbside when we next show up, rather than having to call the hotel & stand there for another 20 minutes wiating for them to drive over at the end of another long day.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 09-04-2011 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Out! Out Foul typos!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post
I think your statement just made you 'not a generous tipper' by US standards.

Do you guys (er, Dopers) tip while at casinos?
I tip the usual buck-per-bag and 20% at restaurants. My personal feelings are my own to hold.

I'll end this hijack.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM

I tip the driver. Sure, he or she is already getting paid, but I know that I'm saving a lot versus paying a cab. A buck or two each direction is a bargain.