Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 PM

What's the farthest anyone has ever thrown a projectile?

Nothing fuel-powered, I'm talking powered 100% by kinetic energy
Advertisements  
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Baseball
Quote:
After all was said and done the baseball covered a total of 445 feet 10 inches before hitting the ground and breaking the old record by a whole nine inches.
Boomerang
Quote:
The record the longest throw of an object without any velocity-aiding feature is 427.2 m (1,401.5 ft) by David Schummy (Australia) with a boomerang on 15 March 2005 at Murrarie Recreation Ground, Queensland, Australia.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

A previous thread(2006)
Flight distance record for a hand-thrown object?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:48 PM

Are you asking about hand-thrown objects? Or human-powered but not necessarily by hand (e.g. a golf ball counts)? Or are you including machines that throw projectiles (trebuchet, artillery)? What about things that are initially self-propelled, then travel the rest of the way by kinetic energy (e.g. ICBMs, interplanetary probes)?

Last edited by scr4; 03-28-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Are you asking about hand-thrown objects? Or human-powered but not necessarily by hand (e.g. a golf ball counts)? Or are you including machines that throw projectiles (trebuchet, artillery)? What about things that are initially self-propelled, then travel the rest of the way by kinetic energy (e.g. ICBMs, interplanetary probes)?
Considering an ICBM to be thrown is pushing it just a tad.

I'd say hand-thrown.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 PM

I wonder if an astronaut has thrown something that might still be travelling?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m30wc0w View Post
Nothing fuel-powered, I'm talking powered 100% by kinetic energy
I think we know what you mean but anything that is moving has kinetic energy, and nothing is "powered" by kinetic energy. I think you mean that all of the kinetic energy comes from the human throwing it.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:10 PM

Ie, ballistics, with a one-off energy initiation and source biologically generated and mechanically transferred by one system.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Are you asking about hand-thrown objects? Or human-powered but not necessarily by hand (e.g. a golf ball counts)?
I have never in my life heard of the act of striking a golf ball with a golf club being called "throwing."

I think it's pretty clear the OP wants to know what the record is for the furthest a human has thrown an object by THROWNG it - using their arm and hand to throw something without the benefit of a machine or engine of some kind.

Clearly the record, assuming throwing the object from level ground, will be held by an person throwing an object designed for this purpose., probably some sort of Frisbee type thing. Throwing a baseball 440 feet is an absolutely incredible feat - there are professional baseball players who can't HIT a baseball that far - but some types of Frisbee, thrown expertly, will go way, way further. The earlier thread makes mention of some product of this sort that a guy throw over 1300 feet.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

The current frisbee (golf disc) distance record is 1,109 feet (338 m).

Last edited by blondebear; 03-29-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM

I used to own one of these, until my brother discovered they don't float nearly as well as they fly....

Quote:
The 13 inches (33 cm) Aerobie Pro was used to set the Guinness World Record two times for the "longest throw of an object without any velocity-aiding feature".[18] The Aerobie's first Guinness World Record was set by Scott Zimmerman at 1,257 feet (383 meters) in 1986 at Fort Funston, San Francisco.[19] The 1986 record was broken by Erin Hemmings with a throw of 1,333 feet (406 meters) on July 14, 2003 at Fort Funston. Hemmings' Aerobie was airborne for 30 seconds (not an official measurement) and was the first thrown object to break the quarter-mile barrier (or 1,320 feet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobie#World_records

Last edited by Horatius; 03-29-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

I think it's pretty clear the OP wants to know what the record is for the furthest a human has thrown an object by THROWNG it - using their arm and hand to throw something without the benefit of a machine or engine of some kind.

Clearly the record, assuming throwing the object from level ground, will be held by an person throwing an object designed for this purpose., probably some sort of Frisbee type thing.
The bolded part is where things gets grey, and I would suggest the OP probably didn't intend to include objects designed to extend distance traveled by taking advantage of lift, air currents, etc... at least that's what I get from using the term "projectile".

A person can throw a paper airplane (or even a balloon) into the wind and have it travel very long distances; far beyond the distance the person actually "threw" it. I'd say the boomerang record shouldn't qualify, but the baseball record should.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmiiikkkeee View Post
The bolded part is where things gets grey, and I would suggest the OP probably didn't intend to include objects designed to extend distance traveled by taking advantage of lift, air currents, etc... at least that's what I get from using the term "projectile".

A person can throw a paper airplane (or even a balloon) into the wind and have it travel very long distances; far beyond the distance the person actually "threw" it. I'd say the boomerang record shouldn't qualify, but the baseball record should.
I agree that the term "projectile" conjures up images of non-aerolifted objects but just putting spin on a baseball would put it into the aerodynamical category. I also think that it would be easy to qualify the question to specify "no wind currents, on level ground" to remove the cases of paper airplanes flying by the wind or dropped from a height.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I don't think an astronaut has ever had the opportunity to throw something beyond earth or the moon's gravity. Although throwing something while in orbit is going to win you the record. See for example the half a million yard throw from February, on the ISS (YouTube).
Old 03-29-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
A person can throw a paper airplane
Indoor record 226 ft.: http://www.livescience.com/33741-rec...ane-throw.html
Old 03-30-2017, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Dickens View Post
I don't think an astronaut has ever had the opportunity to throw something beyond earth or the moon's gravity. Although throwing something while in orbit is going to win you the record. See for example the half a million yard throw from February, on the ISS (YouTube).
I guess it depends on whether an object accidentally dropped by an astronaut on EVA counts as 'thrown' - a dropped/lost tool will carry on orbiting the Earth for a long time - and that's long 'throw' - if the scenario qualifies at all.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:50 AM

Astronauts have intentionally thrown objects off the ISS. Cubesats, for example. Assuming the cubesat stayed in orbit around 6 months, that's 74 million miles.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Does that count both out and back, though?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I used to own one of these, until my brother discovered they don't float nearly as well as they fly....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobie#World_records
Came it to say this.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Does that count both out and back, though?
Non-returning boomerangs.
Quote:
But there are non-returning boomerangs used for hunting, digging up roots, fire pits and sunken shelters, as musical instruments and for hand-to-hand combat, in effect like a wooden tomahawk. Returning boomerangs are not used for hunting because they are too light, and their flight path is difficult to predict exactly, and therefore aiming is virtually impossible. However, they must have been also used for honing the individual throwing expertise and techniques, for use in hunting boomerangs.
Hunting boomerangs – aborigines call them kylies - are usually heavier as well as larger and are made a bit differently from returning boomerangs, mainly in the shape of its airfoil. Many non-returning boomerangs have one arm much longer than the other, so they do not fly in a circular path but are easier to aim, fly faster and are more deadly when used for maiming or killing animals.

Last edited by running coach; 03-30-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Considering an ICBM to be thrown is pushing it just a tad.
But if you can hand throw an ICBM, any distance at all, you win.

Last edited by DCnDC; 03-30-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:56 AM

No mechanical augmentation? Because using an atlatl would still be a form of hand-thrown, mechanically extending the throwing lever (arm length) but still muscle-powered and hand-held.

Longest atlatl-assisted spear throw was 850 feet. Decide for yourself if you want it to qualify as "hand-thrown" per the OP.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I was going to say, imagine using an atlatl to assist throwing that Aerobie Pro thing...That would be crazy.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
No mechanical augmentation? Because using an atlatl would still be a form of hand-thrown, mechanically extending the throwing lever (arm length) but still muscle-powered and hand-held.
If you go by "muscle-powered and hand-held," bow and arrow would qualify. I don't know the record for that, but found some unreferenced comments online saying it is "1,222 metres by Don Brown in 1987."
Old 03-30-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Longest atlatl-assisted spear throw was 850 feet. Decide for yourself if you want it to qualify as "hand-thrown" per the OP.
The classic sling beats that with a 1434-foot throw.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Going a bit OT for humor's sake: This guy was able to throw a discus farther than Hercules!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought those were called sticks

A buddy once threw an Aerobie off Half Dome in Yosemite - almost 1500 meters to the valley floor...
Old 03-30-2017, 04:25 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Astronauts have intentionally thrown objects off the ISS. Cubesats, for example. Assuming the cubesat stayed in orbit around 6 months, that's 74 million miles.
Michael Collins dropped a Hasselblad Super Wide C during a Gemini mission that stayed in orbit about 3 years. I think that's the record.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Actually the baseball also has the advantage of lift. It's going to spin to travel any substantial distance. A non-spinning knuckle ball would not travel anywhere near 400 feet.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
Actually the baseball also has the advantage of lift. It's going to spin to travel any substantial distance. A non-spinning knuckle ball would not travel anywhere near 400 feet.
Very rare thing: (baseball) Line drive to center field with no spin. 100mph+ knuckleball with room to dance.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Or one of those jai-alai throwers.