The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Can I grow my peppers from seeds in a store bought pepper?

I can never find poblano or anaheim pepper seed packets, so yesterday I got this crazy idea to just buy the peppers and use the seeds in them to start my plants. Will this work?
Advertisements  
Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM

It depends on the variety. If they are a hybrid variety, the seeds may or may not produce fruit that resembles the parents.

I think you'd be better off ordering some open-pollinated seed varieties (just Google open pollinated poblano and you'll find sources). You can save the seeds from open-pollinated varieties and they will "breed true."
Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmNPrickly View Post
I can never find poblano or anaheim pepper seed packets, so yesterday I got this crazy idea to just buy the peppers and use the seeds in them to start my plants. Will this work?

Probably not. Most commercial peppers are hybrids and will not breed true, if at all.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:02 PM

I've successfully grown peppers from the seeds of store bought jalapenos. Also, bell pepper seeds are a minor nuisance in my compost since they keep sprouting in there and contaminating my beds when I add in new soil.

Last edited by Raygun99; 04-05-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM

I have some seeds from 1) a red store-bought bell pepper and 2) a store-bought Hatch chile that was half-colored when I cut into it i.e. not all the way green anymore.

Both are relatively fresh seeds, from over this winter. Will try them both soon, now that the weather is warming up nicely. ::thumbs nose at Dopers north of the Mason-Dixon line::

Dunno too much about how much hybridization will help or hinder the seed-saving, since a gardener friend once mentioned that the nicest, biggest red tomatoes she ever grew came after she let her son take a small firecracker to an ovverripe plain supermarket tomato. (The young son in question eventually grew up to become Mr. Horseshoe, by the way.)
Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Bell peppers from the store are generally F1 hybrids. You'll usually get a mix of nice fruit producers and a stubbier but hardy plant that doesn't produce much.

Bells are easy enough to grow, even in pots, so you might as well start a few and see what happens. If you get good results, you can collect the seeds from your best plants. By the way, red bells and green (and other colors) are all the same plant, so your peppers will come in green and change color on the vine. I have 7th or 8th generation pepper plants that got started from store-bought fruit. I've also successfully raised jalapenos and red chiles from store fruit. (Plus other plants that aren't peppers.)

The seeds are pretty hardy, I just stick them in an envelope after letting them dry out for a week or two. If you're interested in developing some sort of super plant, then order seeds. But if you just want to play around, there's no reason not to try the seeds you have.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM

slightly off topic- soon to be Mrs.YouDown has taken to gardening. On a lark we took seeds from a store bought apple and planted them. Of the three planted seeds one actually sprouted. In ten years we may have a fruit bearing tree. I'm curious to try our luck with some pepper seeds.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Will this work?
Sure, although my attempt with dryed Gaujillo peppers appears to be a bust this spring, my other peps are coming up.
This page offers some advice I've found useful:
Quote:
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ever use peat pots, peat pellets, or potting soil that is mostly peat.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Can I grow my peppers from seeds in a store bought pepper?
Yes, but they're easier to take care of if you grow them in a pot.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM

Growing stuff from the store, over at Atomic Shrimp.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Glenn Beck recommends a hybrid-free seed bank which will be more valuable than gold when everything goes kittywampus now that Obamacare has passed.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
On a lark we took seeds from a store bought apple and planted them. Of the three planted seeds one actually sprouted. In ten years we may have a fruit bearing tree.s.
Truly a lark. Apples never seed true. The vast majority of the time you will get smallish sour apples good for cider and not much else. The only reliable way to get a known sweet eating apple tree is by grafting.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
kittywampus
Not quite a full grown cattywampus?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Yes, but they're easier to take care of if you grow them in a pot.
Glad to see it wasn't just me.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I hope you have better luck with your peppers than I did. Yesterday I cut open a jalapeno and there was a big caterpillar inside. Seems something has laid eggs in the things and they hatch and eat the pepper.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
This thread is obviously of interest to me for that reason.

it's important to note that whilst it's true that seed saved from hybrid crops cannot be expected to come true to variety, there are lots of cases where this doesn't really matter. for the amateur and beginner gardener, that element of unpredictability can be a lot of fun - and for some vegetables, the crop may be reasonable whatever it happens to look like.

i'm expecting my tomatoes not to cpme true - not sure about the chilli peppers as i bought them from a market gardener - and with squashes, pumpkins and gourds, the plants are so promiscuous anyway that open-pollinated varieties are probably no more predictable than the offspring of an f1 plant.

sadly, with apples (mentioned upthread) it's most unlikely that they will grow a worthwhile fruit - professional raising new varieties typically discard tens of thousands of candidate seedlings for each new variety that makes the grade. seedling apples will typically bear some resemblance to their parent but will often be smaller, sourer or harder - and may not crop reliably.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo View Post
Truly a lark. Apples never seed true. The vast majority of the time you will get smallish sour apples good for cider and not much else. The only reliable way to get a known sweet eating apple tree is by grafting.
Yes, this is right. Push You Down, before you waste several years in anticipation just go down to the nursery and buy a tree of the type apple you want that has been grafted to another type rootstock. All you are going to end up getting from the seed you planted is a sour 'what the hell is this?' apple. And talk to the nursery staff about getting two trees of differnet kinds of apple. Some apples will produce better if pollinated by a different type.

You will get good apples in a few years with a grafted tree.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Aren't most green peppers "green"?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL View Post
Unless they're red, orange or yellow...

ETA: To clarify, some people call bell peppers "green peppers", even if they're other colors.

Last edited by jayjay; 04-06-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Sure, although my attempt with dryed Gaujillo peppers appears to be a bust this spring, my other peps are coming up.
This page offers some advice I've found useful:
Really! Should I just germinate them in garden dirt? I'd planned on using Jiffy starter mix and a peat pot. This is mainly how we bought them last spring.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 AM

I find that the miracle gro "organic" potting mix works very well. I don't actually care if it's organic or not, but it seems to do a better job at keeping the right moisture level.

Last edited by ivn1188; 04-07-2010 at 01:47 AM..
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL View Post
Yes. Most varieties of capsicum anuum have fruits that start green and mature to some color between red and yellow. some have fruits that start purple and ripen to pale ivorym or some combination of the above, but in gerneral, green capsicums are green because they are not fully ripe.

most green peppers would have ripened to some other colour if left longer on the plant (even if they are a v ariety that has been selected for best green fruits.