The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Except that she's telling Marten about it this week.
And notice that she starts by saying when she began transitioning, not who she was beforehand.
Advertisements  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 AM

I like that Jeph managed to time the new info nearly perfectly for Transgender Day of Remembrance.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Except that she's telling Marten about it this week.
Is she? So far, she hasn't said anything about herself before she transitioned.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what Bosstone was getting at when he or she said that Claire's previous male identity was no longer relevant to her in any way, but it just seems to me that the fact that Claire is telling Marten that she previously had a male identity means that she thinks that that has some relevance to understanding who she is now, at least as between close friends. She didn't have to tell him that she's transitioning, after all.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
From a character standpoint, there's really no benefit in assigning her previous life a name, as it's not relevant in any way to the character present in the comic. The only way it would be relevant is if she had been in the strip before pre-transition.
You don't think that it would be in-character whatsoever for Emily to ask completely inappropriate and awkward questions the moment she finds out? Okay.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

And protective brother for the win! Well done.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiko View Post
I like that Jeph managed to time the new info nearly perfectly for Transgender Day of Remembrance.
Just a coincidence, according to Jeph.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what Bosstone was getting at when he or she said that Claire's previous male identity was no longer relevant to her in any way, but it just seems to me that the fact that Claire is telling Marten that she previously had a male identity means that she thinks that that has some relevance to understanding who she is now, at least as between close friends. She didn't have to tell him that she's transitioning, after all.
No, she didn't, but it's the kind of thing you share when you're being honest. The point is, the transition is when life began for Claire, and the old identity doesn't matter any more. She'll talk about history and maybe what she and Clinton were like as children, but when she looks back she'll be seeing herself as a young girl, not a young boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
You don't think that it would be in-character whatsoever for Emily to ask completely inappropriate and awkward questions the moment she finds out? Okay.
Doesn't mean they'll get answered.

Last edited by Bosstone; 11-21-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
That's assuming she ever finds out.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Does Emily's mom look a lot like Marten's mom to anybody else?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
That's assuming she ever finds out.
I think that assuming Jacques won't delve into a discussion of transgender relations and issues using two brand new characters that he's introduced that involve a) a transgendered individual and b) a nosey socially-clueless person - both of whom are coworkers who are also joining the same social circle - is pure naiviety. Add in the fact that he's set up Clinton as a sibling eager to rise to the defense of his sister in the face of any perceived slight, Jeph would extremely tone-deaf to not take advantage of the opportunity. His Twitter feed has also indicated that he's spent a considerable amount of time researching the issue, wanting to get it right and not misrepresent the transgender community (which received, according to him, a ton of support), I'd be blown away if he just sweeps the issue under the rug without creating some sort of conflict.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Really trivial question. But is Pintsize eating a Slim Jim?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Really trivial question. But is Pintsize eating a Slim Jim?
That was my interpretation, after having to take a careful look.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM

slim pocky
Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
slim pocky
Do Pockys come with individual wrappers?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Do Pockys come with individual wrappers?
The ones that size do.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Okay, so a Pocky is a possibility.

It was the colors - brown stick, yellow wrapper - that made me think Slim Jim.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM

I think Slim Jim.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM

How does Pintsize hold things, anyway? He doesn't have fingers -- just those blobs on the ends of his stubby little arms. Are they sticky? (eewwww.)

van der Waals forces?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 AM

I vote Slim Jim as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Troy View Post
How does Pintsize hold things, anyway? He doesn't have fingers -- just those blobs on the ends of his stubby little arms. Are they sticky? (eewwww.)
Something like this, perhaps?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
Something like this, perhaps?
Oh my lord that is SO AWESOME!

(it's a video of a universal gripping appendage for a robot arm that looks just like Pintsize's "hands" that is basically a balloon filled with particulates the consistency of coffee grounds -- inflate it with air, and it will flow around an object of any shape; suck the air back out and the particulates jam together around the object, which can then be picked up.)

Did you click onto the next video that shows it throwing darts?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Troy View Post
Oh my lord that is SO AWESOME!

(it's a video of a universal gripping appendage for a robot arm that looks just like Pintsize's "hands" that is basically a balloon filled with particulates the consistency of coffee grounds -- inflate it with air, and it will flow around an object of any shape; suck the air back out and the particulates jam together around the object, which can then be picked up.)

Did you click onto the next video that shows it throwing darts?
Yep.

Given the remarkable robotics technology demonstrated in the QC universe, I expect Pintsize's limbs are using something a bit more sophisticated than a balloon full of plastic powder. Maybe some kind of electric-activated memory foam that can flow round an object then selectively harden to grip it, or something else to the same effect. I'm more wondering at how and why he's eating at all.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
Yep.

Given the remarkable robotics technology demonstrated in the QC universe, I expect Pintsize's limbs are using something a bit more sophisticated than a balloon full of plastic powder. Maybe some kind of electric-activated memory foam that can flow round an object then selectively harden to grip it, or something else to the same effect. I'm more wondering at how and why he's eating at all.
He has a Mr. Fusion?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
I think Slim Jim.
You win!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 PM

Watching NCIS right now ... and the strip in question was just repeated EXACTLY, frame by frame, by McGee and Gibbs's/Tobias's ex-wife.

FREAK-Y!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Wait wait waitaminnit...

Marten's mom's dialog in this strip was completely different this morning. Jeph has taken out all the stuff about children, rendering the strip title meaningless. Did he decide that he doesn't want her to be unaware that Claire is trans?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 AM

Here's his explanation.

In short, the joke was supposed to be about Marten's mom being broody, but since it could have come off as a joke about Claire being trans, which he didn't want, he changed it.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
Wait wait waitaminnit...

Marten's mom's dialog in this strip was completely different this morning. Jeph has taken out all the stuff about children, rendering the strip title meaningless. Did he decide that he doesn't want her to be unaware that Claire is trans?
The original doesn't seem to be online; how did it read previously?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 AM

Mrs Reed was in full-on 'gimme grandkids!' mode, and talking about what beautiful babies Claire and Marten would make, then said the wedding was making her broody and went off to the bar.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 AM

You think Claire's got a thing for Marten? She's been hanging out with him quite a bit, she thinks Marten's dad is attractive (bringing back memories of Dora going "Oh my God, you're gonna be so hot when you go grey!"), and you could practically see an exclamation point over her head when Mrs. Reed did the hard-sale for Marten as prime boyfriend material.

(Of course, she would also be embarrassed about that if she didn't have a thing for Marten).
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
You think Claire's got a thing for Marten?
It certainly seems that way, doesn't it? Unfortunately for the Claire/Marten shippers, I'm not getting the sense that it's reciprocated.

OTOH, Claire could just be enjoying spending time with one of the few people she's out with aside from her family. It would be totally natural for her to develop a crush on Martin, who is non-threateningly cute (as opposed to the more overtly masculine and blush-worthy Steve) and who responded so ideally to her coming out, but I doubt that it goes any further than that. And even if Claire could overcome her terminal case of awkward, I doubt that she'd be willing to risk her friendship with Martin by making a romantic overture.

Is it just me, or is the high percentage of recent strips ending with Marten making some exaggerated expression a little off-putting (e.g. 2380 and 2388 for particularly extreme examples)? I know Jeph's used similar effects in the past, but I don't recall him being quite so obvious about it. It's getting to the point where it's distracting me from the comic.

Relatedly, I don't get Claire's expression in panels 3 and 4 of 2385. I mean, I get the "joke" (such as it is), but what the heck is going on with her eyes?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Rolling into the back of her head, I'd say.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssla View Post

Relatedly, I don't get Claire's expression in panels 3 and 4 of 2385. I mean, I get the "joke" (such as it is), but what the heck is going on with her eyes?
I think they've just rolled back into her head. Just see the whites.

ETA. Oops. Beaten to it. I had this tab open a while.

Last edited by Folly; 02-20-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 AM

You know, I've been wondering the same thing. In 2388, Claire goes all blushy at the thought of Marten in boxers. In 2390 again she's blushing failing to tie his tie, but Marten also blushes a little in panel 5.

I don't know what that adds up to except "where's Jeph going with all this blushing?" I think it isn't going anywhere, and the blushing is all about social awkwardness, not sexual attraction. But, wow, so much blushing, and you wonder why and what's up, right?

Last edited by squeegee; 02-22-2013 at 01:09 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 AM

In regards to the tie, I saw it more as "Rage blushing" than awkwardness. Marten is embarrassed towards the end about her inability to tie it after she just chided him for not being able to do so. So it's a lot of blushing but easily answerable blushing.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 AM

Yeah, I think that was rage. She just got done chiding him for not remembering how to tie his tie, only to fuck it up royally when attempting to tie it for him.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Can anyone tell me who the people are (Marten's dad's friends) in today's strip?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettydorky View Post
Can anyone tell me who the people are (Marten's dad's friends) in today's strip?
Was wondering that myself. His signoff of "If there is an artistic equivalent of name-dropping, I am certainly guilty of it." makes me think that most of them are comic artists. The QC forum has some suggestions (page 3 link) - I don't recognize any of the names.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

If the guy with the ponytail is indeed Mall Santa from GWS (and I'll admit the resemblance is hard to argue), I find that a really odd choice for a cameo. Unless Jeph has some inside information, there hasn't been any indication in GWS itself that Mall Santa is anything more than a tertiary character introduced for a particular storyline.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 AM

For anyone not following the link, the consensus was shorter guy with beard is Charlie Stross, tall guy is Mall Santa from GWS as listed above, short-black-hair lady is Holly Black, and redhead lady is Cassandra Clare.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 PM

Best wedding ever. "We are gathered here today..." "Have you the ring?" "You're now married." Bing, bang, boom. NOW LET US EAT CAKE~!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM

I agree with Stross and Clare (having ID'd them independently myself), and have no idea who Holly Black is, so I can't say one way or the other, but I really don't think the black guy is Mall Santa 2013.

Not because I don't think he's going to be recurring - he's had major rolls in 2 arcs, so far, and just having him disappear after this one, the way things are going with him and Jamie would be terrible narratively, and totally out of character for both of them - but because he's proportioned all wrong.

He's taller than Marten, and relatively thin*, whereas Mall Santa is only a little taller than that relative to Jamie* (not one of the taller characters in GWS) and quite broad.

Not that Jeph is particularly consistent with heights, but 'tall character vs short character' is generally maintained, and Mall Santa only has about half a head on Jamie, whereas this guy's got about a quarter of a head on Marten. (Which could, depending how much attention Jeph was playing mean anything from he's about to the same height, to he's about half a head taller - either way, significantly taller than Jamie would be.)
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Is the site down for everyone today or is it just me?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM

It's down for everyone. His blog says that the site was recovering from a denial of service attack.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Yeah, DDOS attack; 'been happening off and on (mostly on) for a couple of days.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Okay then. So I guess when I say I don't get today's strip, I'll mean it in a new way.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Ellen, the DJ at the reception, is famous in electronica; Tai is a gigantic fan and was jealous of seeing Marten's pic at the wedding with her. He saved the day by bringing Tai a personally autographed CD of the reception music mix.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Okay then. So I guess when I say I don't get today's strip, I'll mean it in a new way.
He's got the strips up on his tumblr.
Also, site's back up.

Last edited by Achren; 03-26-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achren View Post
He's got the strips up on his tumblr.
Also, site's back up.
I read the "don't get it" post while on the run - the site was actually back up at that point so I assumed it was a complaint about not getting it due to music unfamiliarity or something.