The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight man View Post
Of course, the downside is that Marten is probably going to avoid having to stand up for himself, as usual.
Maybe, but I think he's going to dump her at this point. Or at the very least give her a calmer, longer, but just as pissed-off dressing down than Faye gave.
I really doubt he'll dump her —the trouble is, it would pull apart the group of friends that the webcomic is centred around, which in turn means either making some much-beloved characters suddenly rare or splitting the comic into two major subgroups of characters and adding new ones to fill them out. I don't see either of those as viable options.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim o the Concrete Jungle View Post
Well, if it was me writing it, Marten would be going off on a big long adventure, which would end with Dora having to bail him out of jail.
Nah, Jeph already had Wil going off adventuring not too long ago. It would feel like a repeat.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 AM

Howzabout if Marten is walking off his anger over Dora and runs into his lost college love (whom he moved across the country to be with and who dumped him before the strip started), who suddenly confesses her undying love to him. That is, until she notices the pants n Hello Kitty belt and realizes Marten is a loser and stomps off, leaving Marten burning in classic Charlie Brown style. That's be classic Jeph.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 AM

Looks like I called the Sven thing. He's such a [insert word here, I have too many opinions].
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiko View Post
Looks like I called the Sven thing. He's such a [insert word here, I have too many opinions].
I award you five Internet Points. Well done!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 AM

The new comic is up and it seems like this event has ended up as nothing. We learned a little more about Dora, although I'm horribly disappointed that she's pretty much getting off without anything. A small little talk and that's it.

I hope Faye defends Martin.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Sith Mod

Defends him from what?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Defends him from what?
From Dora's craziness. Yeah, she feels bad now but she has felt bad before and unless something fundamental chances she's going to freak out again.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Rand, what do you think would be appropriate?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Am I the only one to think that Dora was not out of line? She has two people living in the same house, that both had feelings for each other, embracing in a dark room without clothes on. I can see why she would be thinking that they are necking. And even if they weren't, one thing can lead to another.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythereia View Post
Punch her in her face!

Ok, not really. But I'd like for Marten to show some anger to her. Get frustrated with her, yell, something! He needs to grow a spine. Instead he just takes her yelling at him, shows Faye some of what he's feeling, then goes for a walk and comes back all happy and understanding.

He needs to let her know how she acted was unacceptable. Faye telling her isn't the same as Marten.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 PM

I want to get Angus out of the way so that Faye can get back together with Sven, now that he's grown up a bit. I think this will happen eventually, but it will take some time.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Winkelried View Post
Am I the only one to think that Dora was not out of line? She has two people living in the same house, that both had feelings for each other, embracing in a dark room without clothes on. I can see why she would be thinking that they are necking. And even if they weren't, one thing can lead to another.
She overreacted- it's one thing to tell Marten he can't sleep in the same bed as her when she's angry, but to seemingly fire Faye without confirming what happened? Way out of line.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
He needs to let her know how she acted was unacceptable.
Is yelling a necessary component for that?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythereia View Post
...I'd like for Marten to show some anger to her. Get frustrated with her, yell, something! He needs to grow a spine. Instead he just takes her yelling at him, shows Faye some of what he's feeling, then goes for a walk and comes back all happy and understanding.

He needs to let her know how she acted was unacceptable. Faye telling her isn't the same as Marten.
Or, maybe she realizes it's unacceptable. And maybe being met with love and understanding over this is the best thing that's ever happened to her in a relationship, and the best way for her to learn to do likewise. Maren's quiet strength and kindness impresses me more than a rant would.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiko View Post
0She overreacted- it's one thing to tell Marten he can't sleep in the same bed as her when she's angry, but to seemingly fire Faye without confirming what happened? Way out of line.
I didn't think that Faye was fired; when Dora said "don't come in tomorrow", I thought Dora meant "you're banned for one day, I don't want to have to deal with you tomorrow morning."
Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I didn't think that Faye was fired; when Dora said "don't come in tomorrow", I thought Dora meant "you're banned for one day, I don't want to have to deal with you tomorrow morning."
That may be the case, but how would Faye know that? I did take it as "you're fired", but who am I to say so? Marten let Dora off way easy; fine, it's their relationship. But Dora owes a huge apology to Faye for making her a part of her Crazy Bitch act, and I hope that is forthcoming.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
Or, maybe she realizes it's unacceptable. And maybe being met with love and understanding over this is the best thing that's ever happened to her in a relationship, and the best way for her to learn to do likewise. Maren's quiet strength and kindness impresses me more than a rant would.
I think what bugs me is that the wrapup is still nearly all about Dora: "Are you going to break up with me?" "I'm such a mess."

Yes, she apologized, but what we don't really see is any acknowledgment that Marten has feelings and that she hurt them. She lashed out at him, and then when she calmed down, she put him in the position of him having to comfort and reassure her.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
I think what bugs me is that the wrapup is still nearly all about Dora: "Are you going to break up with me?" "I'm such a mess."

Yes, she apologized, but what we don't really see is any acknowledgment that Marten has feelings and that she hurt them. She lashed out at him, and then when she calmed down, she put him in the position of him having to comfort and reassure her.
I think that's pretty astute. Granted, being a mess, she probably wouldn't understand why that's a bad thing.

I also think it doesn't speak well for Marten. There's an exceptionally fine line between quiet strength and being an enabling doormat, and I think he's sliiiightly more on the doormat side of the line by not making her acknowledge how she screwed up.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to say without know I was trying to say that.

Or something.

Ditto. Yeah, I'll go with that.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Marten is fine when he's just cracking wise and offering social comments, but Marten is frustrating and annoying for men to watch in confrontations because his near supine passiveness and acquiescence to whatever others want is not how most men behave. Now the artist is even dressing him in women's pajama pants and putting him on the street in them. It's pretty funny, but there seems to be a near forced humiliation of the character.

The character is candy for women because who would not want a completely loving, understanding, punch me in the arm, pinch me, yell at me, kick me out of bed chew toy who will always come back for more and be ever so understanding about what made you act that way in the first place. He's a male plush toy.

I'm not an anime maven, but I get the impression via comments the artist has dropped over time that most of the characters in the QC strip have references in popular anime culture.

Last edited by astro; 09-10-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Old 09-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
She lashed out at him, and then when she calmed down, she put him in the position of him having to comfort and reassure her.
That's standard in this strip for several characters, as they're all pretty aware of their own shortcomings.

--Cliffy
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Marten is fine when he's just cracking wise and offering social comments, but Marten is frustrating and annoying for men to watch in confrontations because his near supine passiveness and acquiescence to whatever others want is not how most men behave. Now the artist is even dressing him in women's pajama pants and putting him on the street in them. It's pretty funny, but there seems to be a near forced humiliation of the character.
I am nerdy enough in my fandom to recall that Marten's mother is a professional dominatrix. What you describe is probably the model he learned for male behavior.

Quote:
I'm not an anime maven, but I get the impression via comments the artist has dropped over time that most of the characters in the QC strip have references in popular anime culture.
Yes, PintSize is actually Akira. Don't tick him off.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Marten let Dora off way easy; fine, it's their relationship. But Dora owes a huge apology to Faye for making her a part of her Crazy Bitch act, and I hope that is forthcoming.
I don't think that Dora was acting that crazy, considering the past relationship between Faye and Marten. I can totally understand her being upset. I don't know that I would have reacted as strongly as she did (don't come in to work tomorrow), but on the other hand, I found Faye and Marten's reaction annoying. They were pretty much saying "what is wrong with what we're doing? why would you object?" I know that if I had a male roommate, and I came out to the living room and my wife was sitting on the couch in the dark in her underwear, embracing the male roommate who is also in his underwear, I wouldn't be too happy about it.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

P.S. In any case, I find that in general, most of the characters in the strip go way overboard in their reactions, which is why I'm not really surprised at what Dora does. It just seems par for the course for me.

For example, Faye often makes jokes with sexual innuendoes, but if anyone implies that they think she's pretty or that they might want to go out on a date with her, she punches the person?

IIRC, Marten had a previous girlfriend who dumped him. When his ex happened to show up at the coffeehouse once, didn't Faye throw a cup of hot coffee in her face, just because the girl had told Marten "I don't want to go out with you any more?"

In fiction, I find that to make the story more interesting, the authors often exaggerate the actions of their characters.

My favourite current regular character is Hannelore, just because she makes an effort to be nice to people.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
They were pretty much saying "what is wrong with what we're doing? why would you object?"
That's not at all what they were saying. They admitted from the start that it looked bad, but that there was an innocent explanation. The problem is that Dora was too busy yelling to listen to it.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Quote:
They were pretty much saying "what is wrong with what we're doing? why would you object?"
That's not at all what they were saying. They admitted from the start that it looked bad, but that there was an innocent explanation. The problem is that Dora was too busy yelling to listen to it.
Yup. She kept yelling, they tried to explain, she yelled more, then told them to get out of her face.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
IIRC, Marten had a previous girlfriend who dumped him. When his ex happened to show up at the coffeehouse once, didn't Faye throw a cup of hot coffee in her face, just because the girl had told Marten "I don't want to go out with you any more?".
It was a jug of milk, actually. The previous few strips to that detail the break-up, which was a lot less direct than your faux-quote implies. Faye still overreacted, but at least it was cold milk and not scalding hot coffee.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Of course Marten forgave her. He who makes a principled stand over trivial stuff will end up standing alone.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 AM

Okay, now it's my turn to say "I don't quite get today's Questionable Content strip."

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1751

What on earth does Marten want with a hello kitty belt?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Ironic hipster. (And yeah, "ironic hipster" is probably an oxymoron.)

Last edited by Munch; 09-13-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Quote:
Ironic hipster. (And yeah, "ironic hipster" is probably an oxymoron.)
Or, possibly, a tautology.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Okay, now it's my turn to say "I don't quite get today's Questionable Content strip."

Because it makes a statement about him that he likes. It's funny but it"s also kind of sad. The strip is unrelenting ironic hipsterness, but this is the first time I've really been kind of uncomfortable with the level of humiliating pussdom he wants Marten to own . I know it's not directly related to his just completed sub-dom workout with Dora, but I can't help feeling Dora should be abusing his little Hello Kitty ass with a strap on pretty much every night at this point.

Marten really isn't even a man anymore, he's kind of a Peter Pan character.

Last edited by astro; 09-13-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Because it makes a statement about him that he likes. It's funny but it"s also kind of sad. The strip is unrelenting ironic hipsterness, but this is the first time I've really been kind of uncomfortable with the level of humiliating pussdom he wants Marten to own . I know it's not directly related to his just completed sub-dom workout with Dora, but I can't help feeling Dora should be abusing his little Hello Kitty ass with a strap on pretty much every night at this point.

Huh. To me it says, "I'm confident enough in my masculinity (or my masculinity is defined differently enough) that I can wear something that's silly and little-girl-ish and not have that masculinity impinged thereby."
Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Hello Kitty Darth Vader
Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
Quote:
Huh. To me it says, "I'm confident enough in my masculinity (or my masculinity is defined differently enough) that I can wear something that's silly and little-girl-ish and not have that masculinity impinged thereby."
It's been well established that Marten can hardly walk down a street without beautiful women throwing themselves at him. So I don't think he needs to assert his masculinity by conventional means.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It's been well established that Marten can hardly walk down a street without beautiful women throwing themselves at him.
I think you're thinking of Sven. Marten just gets hit on (and doesn't notice) at Smif (all girls) college library.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Also, Hello Kitty is really in right now in general. I think I saw more Hello Kitty "smoking accessories" and products at the Seattle Hempfest than I did any other character.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
Quote:

I've used Hello Kitty as a message board icon on some technical boards, and i will wear some unusual stuff, but actually accessorizing my IRL clothing with Hello Kitty belts etc. for casual wear? That's just too cool for me. Far too cool.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Leiko
Guest Join Date: Aug 2007

Also, Hello Kitty is really in right now in general. I think I saw more Hello Kitty "smoking accessories" and products at the Seattle Hempfest than I did any other character.
I wish I was more hemptastic.

Last edited by astro; 09-13-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Look at his face. Playing it perfectly straight when Faye is looking at him, then 'giggling madly inside' when she realizes he's wearing it.

It's fun. And it screws with people's heads. Why not? It's the exact opposite of pussdom.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
Look at his face. Playing it perfectly straight when Faye is looking at him, then 'giggling madly inside' when she realizes he's wearing it.
I'm reading it as hopeful anticipation she'll let him have it, and giving her an "I can totally pull this off, right?" look.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 PM

New one is up. Apparently Sven was shanghaied into this, and is not happy about it.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 PM

That made me LOL! Oh, Sven, don't ever change.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
I think that's the problem -- Sven did change, and his sister is operating on old information, as seen here, hence Sven's reluctance to play slut-hunter in Dora's employee training.

Last edited by squeegee; 09-13-2010 at 11:49 PM..
Old 09-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Well, I was talking more about his sense of humor. I agree that it's pretty clear that he's no longer the thoughtless Don Juan of the past.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 AM

I think Sven saw the opening and couldn't resist it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
I think that's the problem -- Sven did change, and his sister is operating on old information, as seen here, hence Sven's reluctance to play slut-hunter in Dora's employee training.
I know. Sven looks so..... broken.

Wouldn't you love to know someone like Hanners? Even for a comic strip I go into big brother mode and want to protect her.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Remind me; who's the other woman being trained for the coffee job?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Remind me; who's the other woman being trained for the coffee job?
Steve's new girlfriend.