What should I do regarding my resume/out-of-state job search?

I’m about to graduate college with a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in mechanical engineering. I’m currently going to college out-of-state but I’d like to return to my native Texas for a job. Here’s where the problem may exist…

I’ve only been applying to jobs in Texas (easily over a hundred) but despite having a high GPA and a decent-looking resume, I haven’t heard back a single thing. It could be a number of things, but I have a feeling that I may be getting passed up on some of them because they see my current non-Texas location and don’t way to pay for relocation fees, when in reality, I plan on moving back to Texas after graduation regardless of if I get a job and regardless of relocation assistance. I’ve specifically put in my objective that I’m looking for a job in Texas, but I’m not sure if that tells them I’d be willing to take the job whether they’ll pay for relocation or not.

What should I do? My phone number’s area code and one of my work experiences might should them the hint that I’ve lived in Texas before, but I can’t help but imagine an overworked HR person with a ton of resumes just looking at my current address and immediately throwing it out. I’ve thought about putting “no relocation assistance required” next to my objective, but I certainly don’t want to turn it down if they offer.

P.S. This situation appears to be a catch 22 of sorts. I don’t want to move to Texas without getting a job first (otherwise what if I move to Dallas and then get a job in Houston?), but at the same time, they probably don’t want to interview someone for a job that doesn’t live there since it’d be more complicated. Any tips?

Do you have something in the cover letter stating that you’re moving back, regardless? Do you have family in Texas whose address you could use on the resume?

Those were my first 2 thoughts, but I may be all wet. Maybe someone else will have a better idea. Good luck!

I could use my parents’ address but that could be a problem if they wanted to get in contact for an interview and I have to explain to them I’m actually 900 miles away.

Something I did in a similar situation–applied for a number of listed jobs, and in my cover letter, I stated that I would be in the area the week of (insert dates here), and hoped to schedule an interview at their convenience during that time. I got a fair number of interviews that way…think I ended up interviewing about 5 times during the trip, and accepted an offer shortly thereafter.

For budgeting purposes, it helped that I was going to a smaller state (compared to Texas), and I was able to stay with a friend in a central location, so an interview anywhere in the state was only half a day’s drive, at best.

Can you rent a P.O. Box in the area of Texas you are applying in? Not as good as a physical address, but lots of people do rent boxes, so they shouldn’t know the difference.

Oh, the issue of checking the box…use a forwarding service? You might get better service at a Mailboxes Etc. or the like.

I’ve seen this handled by listing both a Home Address (your parents’ address, in this case) and a Current Address in the resume header. That way it’s clear where you are and where you want to be.

I know from experience that employers will routinely toss aside any out-of-area resumes without even a glance.

My advice to a new graduate looking for a first job is keep your expectations low. A spiffy resume and high GPA are not going to matter anywhere nears as much as raw luck, and this kind of luck may take time to find even if you graduated with a highly marketable degree.

At this point in your career, and in this economy, stuff like “I hope they offer relocation benefits” should not even be crossing your mind. These are the jobs that people with decades of experience are getting laid off from in droves. During the dot-com crash, I knew engineering graduates who worked stacking boxes at Costco. It’s just not easy to land that first decent job. So I would focus on “I hope I don’t have to wear a funny hat” and hope you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

I (respectfully) disagree. I’ve talked to hiring managers in my company, and been a part of several hiring efforts. Relocation costs aren’t even on our radar. Corporate either budgets relocation for the req or doesn’t. In the case of engineers, relocation is almost always provided. One manager told me spending 10-20 grand to relocate a new hire is trivial, compared to the amount they’ll spend for training, salary, benefits, etc. over the life of a career. If we were do discover a resume offering to pay relocation costs, we’d ignore it. Trying to interrupt the process with this change wouldn’t be worth it.

Our internal job database shows about 70 openings for Mech Engineers*, ranging from highly experienced, to college interns. With the exception of the interns, most if not all provide relocation. I helped a college student (ME from Mich) get a position “down here” as an intern this spring, and the company helped with relocation even for his temporary summer position.

I wouldn’t mention relocation at all on your resume. At least not on the copy you send to large corporations. It would merely strike them as odd.

Good luck in your search

*none were in Tx. I checked for you

You’re looking for a job in one of the worst markets. Here’s what you need to think about.

If I apply for this job, who else is applying? Do they have more experience? Will they want less money? Will I be last on the list?

Employers are firmly in charge and are making really cut and dry demands. They know they have an abundance of candidates, and the candidates they have are quality, so they can be very choosey. Even if the candidate takes the job and quits a month later, that is good for the company as the quality is so high.

This isn’t a normal time to be looking.

The best thing to do is get a Google Voice account and get a phone number with a local area code. Put a local address on your resume. Then don’t mention you aren’t currently at the address till AFTER they call you for an interview.

Relocation costs are a huge deal now. They didn’t used to be, but as long as there is one other applicant that is local, you’ll lose. Even if you say you’ll pay, they don’t care. There is too much risk involved with someone moving for them to even look at you, AS LONG as there is another candidate. And in today’s market you almost will never be alone.

Also remember a lot of these employment ads are not going to come to much. Employers run ads, especially if they are cheap to place, just to keep files open in case six months from now they plan to hire.

In Illinois for instance, company after company reports they want to hire, but they are waiting for the economy to show “real” signs of stability. What those signs are Who knows? But when you look for a job, look at any possible negative and then take steps to eliminate it.

If you’re really worried about it, add a note in your cover letter stating that though you’re out of state right now, you want to move back to Texas regardless and you’re not expecting any relocation money.

Hit the energy cos. and mention in your cover letter that you are willing to cover your relocation.
I’ve noticed that in the Houston area there are more opportunities showing up in all fields. Register on the local jobs boards, and you might try registering with workintexas.org (the texas unemployment job search site), listing your parents address.