The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

George Takei: 'Oh, my!'

In George Takei's Sharp Aquos Quattron commercial, he exclaims 'Oh, my!' Is that a reference to something he said in Star Trek? Is it a reference to something else? Or is it just for the commercial?
Advertisements  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 PM

I know back when Stern was on public radio he made a sound bite of Takei saying it when he was a guest on his show, and he'd play it as a sound effect regularly. Not sure if that's where it originated or just gained popularity though.

Last edited by Shark Sandwich; 04-20-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 PM

I saw the "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" episode of Futurama recently, and Takei said "Oh, My!" in that, also. So, whether or not it originated with Howard Stern, it seems to have become a catchphrase of his.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

George was the guest announcer on The Stern Show a few weeks ago and talked about the ad. He said he put that line in himself as it has become somewhat of a catchphrase since its use on the Stern show over the years.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Seconded on the catchphrase business. He played a presidential waiter on the Disney Channel show Cory in the House*, and when he ate a bad shrimp on Air Force One, and the lower GI consequences hit, that was what he said on the way to the bathroom.

I think he might have said it on Star Trek once, as well, but I have no cite for it.

*And yes, I am very ashamed that I know this, thank you very much.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Ah. I never liked Howard Stern.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Just for clarity, it's 100% George Takei and has been probably forever. It's just one of his natural mannerisms. Howard Stern recognized its awesomeness and made it famous, but George has (probably) always been saying it.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 04-20-2010 at 11:31 PM..
Old 04-21-2010, 12:07 AM

Was it one of Captain Kirk's catch phrases? I know they were his dying words in Generations.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 AM

George Takei and William Shatner have always hated each other, so I doubt they ever cross-pollinated speaking mannerisms.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 AM

More correctly, Takei hates Shatner while Bill probably didn't (doesn't?) think anything in particular about George. In either case, Kirk's dying words being the same as Takei's catchphrase is, as Ellis Dee implies, almost certainly coincidental.

Last edited by Ephemera; 04-21-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

George Takei in a brutally funny bit on some basketball player guy or something

I'm straight, but I thought this bit was brilliantly funny, something you'd never expect the straight-laced character of Hikaru Sulu to say...

SPOILER:
sadly, there was no expected "Oh My!" gag here
Old 04-21-2010, 02:25 AM

In Third Rock From the Sun, there's an episode where the family gets a whole bunch of room service stuff charged to George's account at a hotel. When he's talking to the receptionist, he looks at his bill and says, "5,000 dollars?! Oh well, I'm rich."

The receptionist says, "Er, sir, that's 50,000 dollars."

"Oh my."
Old 04-21-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesiron View Post
More correctly, Takei hates Shatner while Bill probably didn't (doesn't?) think anything in particular about George. In either case, Kirk's dying words being the same as Takei's catchphrase is, as Ellis Dee implies, almost certainly coincidental.
I think that's the impression Shatner tries to display publicly, but it's clear to me by both his words and deeds that he has always hated George. Whether that hatred is/was based on a personal thing or if it's just the general way an egomaniac hates everyone who draws any attention away from them I couldn't say, though.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:46 AM

That's why I hate everyhone here.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post

I'm straight, but I thought this bit was brilliantly funny, something you'd never expect the straight-laced character of Hikaru Sulu to say...

SPOILER:
That was hilarious.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Here's how Takei and Shatner really feel about each other.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

SPOILER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
That was hilarious.
Seconded. My regard for Mr. Takei has increased immeasurably.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I guess I have assumed that Takei was building on that one classic voice/character - the guy who was always the shop clerk in the movies from the 30's who was servile but dismissive to the lead character - would say things like "Yesssss" with that deep voice that started high but ended low - whenever he is referenced on the Dope folks chime in with his name and a clip - hopefully it will happen here.

I think it is the same influence with Jon Stewart, when he sets up a buffoon and they cut back to Stewart, who says "Go Onnnnn" in the same sort of way...
Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM

Howard Stern used to goof on a tape of Takei that was apparently recorded without his (Takei's) knowledge. The spoofer/phone caller really egged him on, pretending that he was Ricardo Montaban, and George said Oh MY quite a lot. This was played over and over again on Stern.

And it was pretty funny as those things go.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 PM

I remember watching Comedy Central's roast of Shatner. He rode onstage on one of his horses. When it was Takei's turn to make his remarks, he said, "Bill, I've been waiting 40 years to say this to you. FUCK YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!" He put every ounce of his emotion into it. You could see his rage clearly expressed on his face and I think Shatner was actually taken aback at the ferocity of Takei's outburst.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I remember watching Comedy Central's roast of Shatner. He rode onstage on one of his horses. When it was Takei's turn to make his remarks, he said, "Bill, I've been waiting 40 years to say this to you. FUCK YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!"
Which in turn was quite appropiate, as Shatner had arrived on horseback -- George probably knew that was to be his parting shot the instant he saw that.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Which in turn was quite appropiate, as Shatner had arrived on horseback -- George probably knew that was to be his parting shot the instant he saw that.
Right. I did mention Shatner rode onstage on his horse.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Pseudolegal

Quote:

SPOILER:
I actually found myself doing the fanning-myself-off motion while trying (and failing) to stifle my laughter. That was incredibly awesome.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Right. I did mention Shatner rode onstage on his horse.
"Oh My...."
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM

George Takei is now the official announcer for the Howard Stern Show on satellite radio, sits in on the show for a week several times a year, and this is one of his many hilarious expressions the show has popularized. He is a funny, funny man.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:

SPOILER:
All I can say is "Hee!"
Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM

I think George Takei first said, "Oh my!" when he saw John Wayne in his green beret uniform. He probably mistook him for a bear.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-21-2010 at 08:43 PM..
Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
this is one of his many hilarious expressions the show has popularized.
Tickle My Tits
Old 04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I guess I have assumed that Takei was building on that one classic voice/character - the guy who was always the shop clerk in the movies from the 30's who was servile but dismissive to the lead character - would say things like "Yesssss" with that deep voice that started high but ended low - whenever he is referenced on the Dope folks chime in with his name and a clip - hopefully it will happen here.
Frank Nelson
Old 04-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

In regards to the OP, I'm pretty sure I saw the episode of Howard's old E! show on which he first said it. Must have been early to mid nineties. Takei was dealing with a female caller who believed that his bad mouthing of Shatner was just due to jealousy and she said, "...I believe you're just a sad, evil person", to which Takei famously replied, "Oh my..." in his very dry, unemotional way. It got a huge laugh from everyone in the booth (I think Takei was on a satellite feed).

I used to watch Howard's E! show a lot (sadly I couldn't receive his radio show) and I remember it was only after this episode that the sound bite started appearing. So I think this is where it spontaneously originated.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:

George seems to have had an effect.

This July, Tim Hardaway (that "basketball player guy or something") was the first person to sign on to a petition seeking to legalize gay marriage in Florida. He also twitted nice things when NBA player Jason Collins came out.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
This July, Tim Hardaway (that "basketball player guy or something") was the first person to sign on to a petition seeking to legalize gay marriage in Florida. He also twitted nice things when NBA player Jason Collins came out.
"Hold on - homophobic means anti-gay? Then I meant the other thing."