The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 04-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Why do pro sports games start at such odd times?

Games seem to start at 2:05, 7:10, and so on. My son asked me about this and the only thing that came to mind was that it gives the media time to start a show on the half-hour and have a few minutes for some sort of introduction. Is there any other reason not related to televising the games?
Advertisements  
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM

That's pretty much it. Early NFL games will start at 1:00pm but the late games are 4:15 starts. That gives the early games a few extra minutes to finish up and a few minutes for Joe Buck to run his mouth.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Actually some "late" NFL games start at x:05, depending on whether or not the network is airing an "Doubleheader" of games and how big the matchup is, a Raiders-Bills game might start at 4:05 on the East Coast, a Cowboys-Saints game will kickoff at 4:15.

But yeah, the "1:00" games always start on the top of the hour.

Normal Cubs day games start at 1:20 by TV inspired tradition...WGN has aired a twenty-minute "Lead-Off Man" show from 1:00 to 1:20 as far back as I can remember. Even though WGN "America" only occasionally airs Cubs games nowadays, I notice the Cubs still play at 1:20, I presume the "Chicago-only" TV broadcasts still have the Lead Man Show running in those 20 minutes.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:46 PM

You answered your own question. Adding another data point, NHL games are given a 7:05 or 7:35 start time. That gives enough time to throw to the broadcast team from the pre-game show, do a setup for the game, get a commercial break, and be back for the start of the game. I assume the setup is the same for NBA games, but I watch way too much hockey and know this routine by heart.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
You answered your own question. Adding another data point, NHL games are given a 7:05 or 7:35 start time. That gives enough time to throw to the broadcast team from the pre-game show, do a setup for the game, get a commercial break, and be back for the start of the game. I assume the setup is the same for NBA games, but I watch way too much hockey and know this routine by heart.
I've got a five-minute skip forward button on my DVR remote that, almost without fail, skips from the beginning of the broadcast to the goalie intros my local station shows just before the puck drops.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:55 PM

I remember that a couple of years ago White Sox games were scheduled to srart at 7:11 in a promotion with 7-11. I'm not sure if they still do.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Money

The answer to almost every question. (It's really true!)

Starting a few minutes off the hour or half-hour allows for the channel to get their audience to turn to the channel, get them settled in, and then shove 5+ minutes of commercials down their throat before the game starts.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post
Money

The answer to almost every question. (It's really true!)
1. Start games at 7:10

2. ???????

3. Profit!!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
1. Start games at 7:10

2. ??????

3. Profit!!
2. Make more money off advertising?