Bedframe or floor?

TheKid and I are having a disagreement. Her bedframe (like this) broke, thanks to her trying to pile all of her friends on it. Well, it was fine until her 6’2", 250lb buddy jumped on the pile of people.

I am of the opinion that a new bedframe, or at least a pedestal, should be purchased. She thinks I’m lame, and nothing is wrong with just putting her box spring and mattress on the floor, like most of her friends do.

I find that, well, gross. I could see that in college, but just no. Blankets lay on the floor to be trod on, the floor would be scratched due to the nails/staples under the box spring, and it just seems flophouse tacky.

Am I being old fashioned? Or too picky?

Meh. If she wants to have here bed on the floor and not on a frame, I don’t see the big deal. As a teenager, I broke my frame by rough-housing with my brother and went a while with the mattress on the floor. I also had friends who did the same.

If it were me, I’d skip the box spring, since as you say, the floor could possibly get damaged.

If she broke the bedframe because she piled that many friends on top of it, I’d put the mattress on the floor to prevent a repeat. Even if you think it’s kind of gross, it would suck to have to shell out money to replace it, only to have it happen again.

For what it’s worth, our son’s box spring and mattress are directly on the floor (we have carpet), but mostly because he’s four and we wanted him close to the floor until we were sure he wouldn’t fall out. We’ll probably get him a bedframe and headboard soon, but if he breaks either, he probably won’t get another until we’re reasonably sure it won’t happen again.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. Just put a rug or something underneath it to save the floor. I’m guessing she’s a teen, and this seems like an easy battle to let her win so she can feel like she’s exerting some teenage rebellion.

I used a futon for many years until my girlfriend at the time pointed out the usefulness of a bed frame in conjunction with silk scarves.

Therefore, I suggest that having the box springs and mattress on the floor may actually be a better thing assuming that you don’t approve of those kind of things.

Beware of moisture under the mattress if she decides to skip everything and just put the mattress straight onto the floor. If she did this, she would need to lift the mattress and leave it propped up to dry right the way through if she wants to avoid grossness, mould or mildew underneath. This build-up may also damage the finish of the floor. It may sound nasty, or unlikely to her, but if the mattress doesn’t have air circulating round it, it’s just a big sponge for all the sweat she loses in the night. Bed frames serve a useful purpose!

I’m 33 and I have never had a bed frame in my life. At this point, it would just feel weird. I am fairly short, and I like being able to sit on the edge of my bed and be close to the ground (I do have a box spring under there). Also, I never have to clean under my bed, so that’s a perk. My sheets don’t get walked on, because I tuck the edges under when I make my bed.

And I’ve never had a problem with mildew on my mattress, for what it is worth.

I thought the purpose of raising a mattress off the floor was to make the trek to your face more difficult for spiders.

I think the floors are a legit concern, but you can just put something under the corners. And really, I’d be more worried about teenagers romping around her room then I would be about a box spring. As for the sheets and blankets, you can replace hers with old ones you don’t like. Or send her out to buy her own.

It’s your house, of course, but if I were without a bed frame in my room then I wouldn’t worry about it.

That’s why I propose making “TheKid” pay the $65-$90 to replace the frame she broke by piling all her friends on the bed until it gave way. Mom and Dad get to define the outer boundary between permissible and flophouse tacky, even if their children might legitimately draw it elsewhere. Moreover, as a prelude to adulthood, teenaged children also get to bear a little bit of the cost of repairing damage they’ve recklessly visited on the furniture.

That makes a lot of sense. In that case, I’d say it’s up to you. Your house, your rules.

Oh, they don’t climb up the bed and onto your face. They climb up the wall and across the ceiling and, carefully aligning themselves, rappel down their little thread to alight gently on your nose. But it’s nothing to worry about, really. Most of them aren’t poisonous.

Chalk me up as another guy who did it that way all through high school and in my first apartment. Never saw any big deal about it.

Bit of a hijack, but may I introduce you to my favorite bedframe in the world?

Rugged as hell, too. I’ve abused the hell out of it over the last 6 years and it’s not once come close to breaking.

You’re asking the misfits here on the SDMB if having a box spring and mattress on the floor is okay?

Why don’t you ask them if wasting hours on RPGs is okay? Or… Ask them if socialized medicine is okay. Ask them if hybrid cars are okay. Ask them if living with mom until you are 35 is okay. Ask them if being a 45-year old virgin is okay.

Actually, if the members here say it is okay, then you have your answer: Get the proper frame and set the expectations accordingly with your daughter. Make her pay for it or work for it, and let her know that you keep your bedding on a proper frame and you don’t piss your life away discussing Lord of the Rings and other crap.

:dubious: Something you want to talk about, Phil?

You could put a carpet pad under it to reduce damage to the floor. Otherwise, I’d let her set it up the way she wants to. It’s not a big enough deal one way or the other in my eyes.

What is she, a hobo? Get her a metal bed frame and if/when she breaks it, take it out of her savings. She can live on the floor after she moves out.
[Crabby old man off]

Another vote for let her keep the mattress and box frame on the floor. If you’re concerned about the floor, put a rug down first. Jeez. This really seems like an easy way to give her a little control over her environment and save you some money.

Hell, my cousin just took his bed out of the room entirely and slept on the floor for six years. My uncle figured it wasn’t worth arguing.