The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Straight Dope Chicago

Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Warshawski & J C Whitney Auto Parts

Beoing a teenager in the 1960's, I was a regular customer at Warchawski's, corner of Archer and State (?). Eventually moving away from Chicago I soon discovered Warchawski's was known elsewhere as J C Whitney. Was this always the case or did the J C Whitney name come about later? Why the two names, anyway? Lastly, I recall most of the "counter guys" as being Asian. How come?

MODERATOR COMMENT: Please be aware that this thread was from May 2010, revived (in Post #5) in Feb 2011, and now revived (in Post #7) in June 2014. That's OK, we got no problem with new info/thoughts being added to old threads, I just don't want anyone thinking that the posts are current and replying to something 3 - 4 years old. -- CKDH

Last edited by C K Dexter Haven; 06-12-2014 at 07:09 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Well, J.C. Whitney's website states quite plainly that they started out as Warshawsky & Co. in Chicago but doesn't seem to indicate when the name changed. Neither does the Wikipedia article on J.C. Whitney.

I'd guess from the fact that the name change occurred sometime after 1947, judging from the timeline on the company website, that it was a Cold-War-era change to seem more American and less Eastern European, like a VonBraun changing his name to Brown during WWI. But that's just my guess.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Gormless Wienie

I worked for Warshawsky briefly in the early 70s and the company was known as J.C. Whitney outside Chicago then. The discussion here:

http://customerservicenumbers.com/co-j-c--whitney---co-

... suggests the J.C. Whitney name dates back to the earliest mail-order days. Though the origin of the name isn't stated, my guess is the Warshawskys thought it sounded less ethnic.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 PM

The counter guys were probably Asian because Archer/State was near Chinatown, and plenty of Chinese living in the area were looking for jobs.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 PM

Saturday morning was a kick down there. Cars parked everywhere with their hoods open or up on jacks with their owners installing the parts they just bought.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 AM

Sam's Auto Grille & Bumper Exchange

I hope you (particularly SanDiegTim) have some memory of what I'm about to tell you. In 1966, I was twelve years-old and I worked at my grandfathers auto parts store. He was a small competitor of Warshawski. Sam's Auto Grille and Bumper Exchange located at 1832 South Wabash. It was a beat up old building. A different building, also an auto parts store, now stands in its place. I was wondering if anyone has any memory of my grandfather's store so many years ago. If so, if you happen to have pictures of the general area on Wabash from that era, I would really be thrilled to see them. If you had a picture of the store, I would freak.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:56 AM

J.C.Whitney -v- Warshawsky & Co.

I was a regular customer at BOTH shops in the 70's. Same building, single corner entrance, set at an angle. Sign above one door said Warshawsky, other door said J.C.Whitney. They both published a catalog, nearly identical, except for part number & prices. Some items were cheaper in one catalog, others cheaper in the other. I would spend several hours comparing prices & making a list with Catalog#, Part#, Item Name, & Cost. Then make my 70 mile drive into Chitown to make my buy... Loved It!

Last edited by SESmith; 06-12-2014 at 06:57 AM..
Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 AM

I surely remember driving in from East Chicago, Portage, Gary more than once to get some customizing or rebuilding parts for my '55 Chevy or '61 Corvair.

the Chevy had the distinction of being stolen by a total of 12 young minority youth from a Chisox game, parked in the street. Police said they took it for joyrides, including trying to pass between iron posts 2 inches narrower than the car, and they caught one kid who flipped on all the others. Probation, released in the custody of parents, though only 3 or 4 showed up at the arraignment.

We patched it back up and ran it another year until the floorboards deteriorated to the point where dust was piling up on the front seat. Traded for the Corvair, a car that left me stranded in North Dakota, -10 degrees, 4 a.m. Trucker saved me. It turned into a Chevelle that fell apart after 100,000 miles, leaving a great drive train and not much else. The Rambler American came next, the one with the bullet hole in the muffler when I bought it. A bookmobile backed out of a library driveway and crushed it up against a light pole, never stopped, but a witness gave us the info.

Butterfly wings.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 AM

Was there anything sold there that didn't increase horsepower and gas mileage? :-)
Old 06-12-2014, 12:07 PM

And here I opened this thread thinking it had something to do with fictional Chicago detective V.I. Warshawski.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTim View Post
Was there anything sold there that didn't increase horsepower and gas mileage? :-)
I know I bought body parts, like a 'rocker panel'; buckets of body filler, floor mats, steering wheel spinners, mirrors, etc. etc.

I think I bought a 4 barrel carb for the Corvair, but, actually, it didn't help much. That might have come from a junk yard.

We were in a hurry to get to Beloit, WI one evening to go to a sporting event and the engine began running on 5 cylinders (spark plug wire came loose), so I had to slow to about 80; got a ticket. then, on the way home we decided to use US 12? to avoid the cops? didn't work, got another ticket and had to talk my way out of another. Cops didn't seem to like Corvairs.

Last edited by crucible; 06-12-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Old 06-14-2014, 01:26 AM

Warchawski's! THE place to be if you were a gear head in the 60's. Thank you for the memories, SanDiegoTim !