The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: A crazy cat person is someone who is:
Male, lives alone, has two or more cats. 17 9.24%
Male, lives alone, has three or more cats. 53 28.80%
Male, lives alone, has four or more cats. 61 33.15%
Male, lives alone, has five or more cats. 51 27.72%
Female, lives alone, has two or more cats. 12 6.52%
Female, lives alone, has three or more cats. 58 31.52%
Female, lives alone, has four or more cats. 79 42.93%
Female, lives alone, has five or more cats. 75 40.76%
Male, lives with other people, has two or more cats. 11 5.98%
Male, lives with other people, has three or more cats. 25 13.59%
Male, lives with other people, has four or more cats. 48 26.09%
Male, lives with other people, has five or more cats. 54 29.35%
Female, lives with other people, has two or more cats. 9 4.89%
Female, lives with other people, has three or more cats. 26 14.13%
Female, lives with other people, has four or more cats. 45 24.46%
Female, lives with other people, has five or more cats. 58 31.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2010, 03:48 PM

How many cats does it take to make someone a "crazy cat person"?

I wish there were an increment/decrement button for number of cats so that I could make this poll much more thorough, adjusting for age, sex, family size, other pets, location (rural, suburban, city, etc.). As it is, I'll just have to pick arbitrary thresholds to keep the selectable poll items down.

Please chime in with the number of cats you have, or even the maximum number you ever had, and whether or not you think you're completely crazy!

As for me, I'm a male who lives alone and I lived for a very long time with 10 cats (down to seven now). And yes, I think I'm completely bonkers -- but I don't care (just like most crazy people).
Advertisements  
Old 05-20-2010, 03:53 PM

I don't think there's a hard-and-fast number - it depends on how many cats you can care for properly. This includes keeping litter pans clean, feeding, veterinary care, individual attention, and making sure your place doesn't smell like a giant litter-pan. Ten cats sounds like a lot, but if it didn't wreck your home and the cats were reasonably happy, what of it?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:53 PM

For a single person, any more than two cats is "crazy cat person." Whereas I know a married woman with kids who has twelve cats, four dogs, two horses, and a ferret, and no one thinks she's nuts.

It's totally about how society views you.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Boy, you people work fast -- you got some comments in there before I got the poll up! Anyways, please vote! I'd love to see what people's perceptions are.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

It is more about whether you talk about them like this or not.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I chose living alone with more than 4 cats but that is fairly arbitrary. Upon reflection, I agree with mikews99 that the level of care and hygiene comes into play.

And there is something folded in about not just having the right number of cats to satisfy a need for love and companionship but kinda hoarding the cats beyond the level of being able to enjoy them very much.

I guess that for me the working definition is CCP is "someone who compulsively has more cats than he or she is able to adequately love and care for." whatever the actual number is.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:10 PM

Male, live alone, have 2 cats. My partner lives next door with 2 dogs. He sometimes brings them over, and the cats don't hiss at them quite as much as they used to.

I have a 3-bedroom house, and have plenty of room for more cats. Actually, I'm seriously considering getting a third. The only issue is how much of my life do I want to spend cleaning out the litter boxes. If that weren't a consideration I'd already have a third.

4, though, would definitely qualify me as a CCP.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:13 PM

What I find completely baffling is having multiple cats of mixed gender that aren't neutered . . . and the population keeps growing exponentially. What are these people thinking (if at all)?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excellent View Post
Ten cats sounds like a lot, but if it didn't wreck your home and the cats were reasonably happy, what of it?
Other than being broke from veterinary bills (I think I bought my veterinarian a new Mercedes), there hasn't been much of a downside. Of course the worst part of having so many cats is having to go through much more loss as they grow old and die.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:21 PM

when the smell is more obvious than the cats, you qualify.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:27 PM

There isn't any precise number of cats that can't be exceeded. It's about that you just can't have more cats than you can adequatly provide for.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:50 PM

submitted for your approval:
http://crazycatladyactionfigure.com/
Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 PM

The level of care comes into play, certainly, but I devised a formula a while back that I think works well:

C = P+1

where C is the upper limit of cats in the household, and P is the number of people living in the house.

Thus, one person with two cats is fine. One person with three or more cats is a CCP. If you have a lively household with five people, you can have up to six cats before things get weird.

Last edited by Bosstone; 05-20-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 PM

and from the self-test on the back
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26870187@N02/4624858431/
Old 05-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Obviously one needs four cats to be a crazy cat lady. This is obvious because I have three, duh.

Somebody in a previous thread gave a good answer, I think - no more "pet" animals (fish livestock and such don't count) than there are hands to pet them with. So my boyfriend and I have four hands between us and four animals. No way could we have another one - four is really one too many and the first one to go will probably not be replaced.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:28 PM

I couldn't vote--you don't have my answer:

Anybody with ONE cat is a crazy cat person. Gender is irrelevant (cat or person).

Oh yeah, IMHO.....
Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 PM

I couldn't vote--you don't have my answer:

Anybody with ONE cat is a crazy cat person. Gender is irrelevant (cat or person).

Oh yeah, IMHO.....
Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM

It only takes one cat with a crazy person to make a crazy cat person.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM

We had 4 cats when this all started. We seem to have gained a few more in the past couple of weeks.
If we weren't 'crazy cat people' before, we will be. Soon, I imagine.

There was a stray cat that we've been feeding for the past two years. We named him Todd. Well, we recently discovered that Todd is female, and she was pregnant. We didn't see her for awhile, until a couple of weeks ago. She brought all 4 of her kittens to our front porch, one at a time. We just stood there, and watched her bring them to us, and wondered how many of them she had.
When she was finished hauling her kittens, she just stood there, looked at us, and then looked at the kittens, then looked back to us. She gave a really sad 'Meooooowooow', like she didn't know what she was going to do.
She was really pathetic. It worked.

We took pity on her, and brought them all in, kept them in the bathroom, away from our other cats, and took them to our vet the next day. She had a test to see if she had Feline Leukemia, and she was negative.
So, our vet checked her out, checked the kittens out (2 male, 2 female), gave her shots, wormed her, wormed the kittens, set us up with plenty of Science Diet Kitten Food, a date for her to be spayed (June 2nd), and now we've got 9 cats. They all live inside with us, our two dogs, our two ratties, and our 5 birds.

We've named them Ronon, Carson, Emma, and Teyla.
It's a good thing our house isn't exactly small.

Deity help me.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
The level of care comes into play, certainly, but I devised a formula a while back that I think works well:

C = P+1

where C is the upper limit of cats in the household, and P is the number of people living in the house.
I was going to post this. Clearly now I know where those notes on this theorem, stolen lo these many years ago, ended up.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 PM

I have five cats. When my husband was alive, it wasn't too many. Now it just is.

And one of them, deaf Cuthbert, is like 150 cats in one large, furry, psychotic bundle.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say that I once had eight kitties. Somehow, I went through a phase of being the one that everyone gave their unwanted cats to, and each came with a story of why they had to give it up, and what horrible fates they would all meet if a good home for them wasn't found, etc. I never considered myself crazy, since they were all well taken care of, and I never really tried to take in that many...it kinda just crept up on me. The vet bills were hell, since my vet only gave discounts if you had ten or more. (!)

I'm thinking that it's not the number of cats you have that makes you crazy, it's when you end up with more than you can properly care for that you hit the crazy mark. Regardless of what number that may be.

These days, I'm down to a paltry three cats. Oh, and three dogs, just for good measure.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM

For the single people, I voted 3 or more (and 4 and 5 or more - seriously, do people not know how to answer multiple checkbox questions?).

And oddly, for people living with others, I went with 2 or more and on. I wasn't really thinking of married people, but rather people with roommates. If you have roommates, you get 1 cat - beyond that, you're an annoying crazy cat person.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I work with a lady who is a foster mom. She has maybe half a dozen cats and dogs that belong to her (because they could not be adopted). She currently has three litters of cats, totaling more than a dozen new kittens, and the three mommy cats.

She's not crazy by any definition.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

ONE. If it's the right cat.

Trust me on this.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
ONE. If it's the right cat.

Trust me on this.
SPOT on
Old 05-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
seriously, do people not know how to answer multiple checkbox questions?).
If you think "X" or more, then all you need to do is check the one box for each type since that's the threshold. Unfortunately, the poll format isn't well adapted for multiple choice with two or more variables.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Why does your poll only include gender based responses? It should not matter what your gender is.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Google results:

"Crazy cat man" = 484,000 results
"Crazy cat woman" = 1,310,000 results

It seems to be a significant distinction, so I wanted to see what the biases are here.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikews99 View Post
Google results:

"Crazy cat man" = 484,000 results
"Crazy cat woman" = 1,310,000 results

It seems to be a significant distinction, so I wanted to see what the biases are here.
Then you weren't really looking for a poll as much as a bias?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 PM

Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 PM

I never really thought of "crazy cat person" as in "That person is crazy to have that many cats", but more "That crazy person has a lot of cats".
Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 PM

We have two cats. But they're not pets.

Anyone with more than two pet cats is crazy, IMO.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Then you weren't really looking for a poll as much as a bias?
I'm looking for what threshold people think a person qualifies as a crazy cat person, how that is broken down by gender, and whether or not living alone affects that threshold. I would have liked to have broken it down even more, but the poll would become much too unwieldy. If you would like to see a non-gender based poll, please by all means, create your own.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 PM

If you're doing some sort of cat rescue thing and take good care of them, you're good no matter how many.

But I once lived upstairs from a crazy cat lady who had like four dozen. They were everywhere. I could barely get up the stairs. Most of them didn't come inside and were quite wild. They didn't all have names.

Maybe that's the thing. If your cats all have names, you're good.

If they all have names AND you buy them gifts and they all have stockings they hang up by the chimney at Christmas, and you have all of their portraits on the wall, then you're a crazy cat person even if you only have three.

My roomie and I once had eight, and then one of them had kittens. Six kittens. Eight was already too many. We divested.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 05-20-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

My ex-husband and I once had 7 cats, before my son was born. This wasn't intentional. We only intentionally had five, then we rescued two kittens from a parking garage. Yes we did hang up stockings for each one at Christmas one year (very small stockings. Each one had like a little wad of aluminum foil in it or a milk jug ring).

My husband and I (and my son) currently have 3 cats, which is down from 4 because one died* last year while we were on our honeymoon but we only had 4 because one was a kitten we were initially "going to find a home for" though that sham fell through after about 30 seconds in our care. (seriously, could you give up this kind of cuteness??)

I doubt I'd have more than 3 on purpose anytime soon, and I don't think I've ever been a crazy cat person. I agree with the people who have said upthread that it's more about how many cats you can take proper care of than it is about any fixed number of cats.

*(the kitten in the video is not the one that died btw--he is now over a year and a half old and doing fine)
Old 05-21-2010, 01:22 AM

While hygiene is important, as is the number you can care for, a key part is the word "crazy". There has to be something odd about the person. Usually that they are a better with cats than people.

It's not just being single. It's being single because you identify with cats more and don't want to bother finding human companionship. You spend more time an energy making your cats happy than any human being (and usually more than all humans combined).

And if you have a verifiable mental disorder that has ostracized you from society, that helps, too.

ETA: forgot to mention that I know a girl who loves her cat more than her boyfriend. We jokingly referred to her as a "crazy cat lady," but she doesn't meet the requirements voiced upthread.

Last edited by BigT; 05-21-2010 at 01:24 AM..
Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
We have two cats. But they're not pets.
Co-owners?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:07 AM

I had to pick two choices, 1. Male living alone with more than 3 cats, 2. Female living alone with more than 5 cats.

I don't know if they're quiiiiiiiiiite at crazy cat person status at that point, but their definitely circling the harbor of Cat Crazy Town in my book. If they keep on that trend, they could be in real trouble.

More than three pets period is starting to wend that way a bit (says the little old lady with 4 pets, but two are small cockatiels, and one of those is very very old), but I don't remember where I read that.

Whoops, forgot to add my pets. One dog, one cat, two cockatiels. The old lady cockatiel was a rescue.

Last edited by CanvasShoes; 05-21-2010 at 04:08 AM..
Old 05-21-2010, 04:58 AM

Two people, two cats. We can be crazy without needing feline help!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Usually that they are a better with cats than people.
Well, I am. Heh. There's nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 AM

More then you can afford to feed and clean up after is too much. If you don't get them fixed and they breed like rabbits your really nuts or ignorant.

If they find cat corpses around the house and there is two inches of cat hair on everything and cat crap lying around you need to be locked up.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 AM

I just gotta share this story.

Last fall, on a trip, we were watching one of the big three (ABC?NBC?CBS?) morning news/talk shows. At one point, they were giving a heads up on what was going to be on their nightly "news" shows (like 20/20 or something).

They said the first topic was going to be about middle aged women having eggs harvested and stored "just in case" so they could have children later if they ever found a man. As soon as they said that I told the SO "bahhh, just get a bunch of cats, it would be so much easier". Their very next sentence was something along the lines "And after that, we will look into the lives of Crazy Cat Ladies".

I about died laughing. Surely this had to be a joke right? Nope, it wasnt. That very night their program was exactly that, desperate middle aged women followed by crazy cat ladies!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 AM

I think number of cats is rather irrelevant. It depends on how invested you are in the cats; that's what makes it crazy.

I live in a two-person household with one cat. I love my cat. He's soft and very cuddly, I like to pet him, and I occasionally feel guilt over not spending enough time with him. I have strong feelings of affection for him and get sad when I realize he will eventually die. I miss him when I'm away from home. That said, he doesn't rule the house, I don't drop everything just because he wants attention, and I don't delude myself into thinking he operates on much more than instinct.

I have known people who, even with guests in their home, will interrupt conversations with other adults to talk to their cats. They act like their cat is the most fascinating thing in the world and will drop everything to meet its whims. Cat ownership isn't a characteristic about them, it's the whole of their identity. Their attachment seems a little over the top to me, and that's the sort of person I'd label a ''crazy cat person.''

There are ''crazy dog people'' too. My Aunt is one of them. She only has one dog, but it is the center of her universe, and I think it's weird.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Go Tribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
Co-owners?
Employees.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:44 AM

I didn't click on the poll because the rule is: People in the household + 1. So if you have four people in a house, it's OK to have 5 cats, but not 6. If you are a single person, two cats is all right but not three.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
....I agree with the people who have said upthread that it's more about how many cats you can take proper care of than it is about any fixed number of cats.

*(the kitten in the video is not the one that died btw--he is now over a year and a half old and doing fine)
My bolding. The cats need to be cared for & fixed!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Anyone that lets animals roam freely in the house is crazy.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 AM

We have two. Here's the timeline:

--We moved to Minnesota. My friend in Madison, who was becoming more and more allergic to her cat, asked if we'd take the cat in because she wanted her to go to a good home. We agreed. Cat #1 (2001).
--In August of 2009, I heard a teeny "mew" from underneath a pallet in our driveway. Investigation revealed much cuteness. Cat #2.
--Later that year, Cat #1's health declined, and kept declining. We put her to sleep in October. No more Cat #1.
--Because Cat #2 was used to having another cat around, and because I've always heard that cats do better in pairs. So we adopted another kitten, Cat #2b, to keep her company. They're great pals.

SpouseO and I had discussed not having any more pets for awhile after Cat #1. Then Brix showed up and shot that theory all to hell. We were amused to find ourselves with two new ones pretty quickly.

Last edited by Snickers; 05-21-2010 at 09:13 AM..
Old 05-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Single male with three cats, which the consensus here seems to qualify me as a crazy cat person. But I plead extenuating circumstances: I only had one cat until two years ago, when a friend found two kittens under her trailer. When she brought them in out of the rain they wouldn't eat, and they were so tiny she was sure they still needed to be bottle-fed so she called me and asked if I could take care of them. Well, of course I ended up keeping them.