The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:37 PM

Incredimail: spyware, scumware, adware? Need answer fast.

One of the superiors at school loaded Incredimail.

It slowed the computer, got ads galore, and also crashed the system when it was being shut down. So I was assigned the task to remove it. Seems to be gone now, but it took awhile and now I'm running an anti-adware tool.

The maker and many security orgs report that Incredimail is not spyware; however, this is not the main reason why the ones against it are coming from:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/968954106/1/view
Quote:
This machine was a new Optiplex 960 machine and had never had a single program besides Microsoft Office package loaded onto it. We loaded up incredimail on the box and immediately regretted the mistake. The computer became so bogged down that the core 2 duo processor inside ground to a screeching halt and the program refused to take the OE data. This crashed to program, which normally would have been a blessing, except that after this, the computer became so unresponsive that it had to be restarted. Incredimail upon startup runs such a heavy system process that it bogs a computer down as much as or more than heavy virus software. No mail service should bog down a system as much as this does. After the machine runs for about ten minutes, it'll function like a normal service and it even took the files, but our antivirus software tagged it as a virus and it runs too many programs in the background for me to give it my blessing. I don't trust it.
Looking at other reviews and forums the opinions and reports regarding this email client are almost evenly divided, they either love it or hate it. Sticking with the technical side of things, is Incredimail really that bad? How is it that a program that is so sloppy can get so many good reviews?
Advertisements  
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

The good reviews are most likely company shills. Notice how many of the good reviews are short and give little or no detail on why the program is good. Their only purpose is to drive the overall score up.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

How to Uninstall or Remove Incredimail.

Incredimail doesn't pass the smell test. That a third-party site such as PC Hell offers detailed instructions on how to remove the product should be a warning in and of itself.

Uninstall it and then install Thunderbird.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm. It looks pretty suspicious to me - but I wouldn't install it even if it only does what it claims to do - it looks horrible.

It used to be that the major download sites could be relied on to verify the malware-purity of a program, but sadly, that no longer seems true - Incredimail is listed on cnet with their 'malware free' guarantee stamp.

-But my son installed some video converter program from cnet the other day and it turned out to be horrible nagware and it installed additional programs without asking, which also had the malware-free stamp.

Last edited by Mangetout; 05-25-2010 at 01:28 PM..
Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 PM

OK, based on the comments so far, it is clear that I should mark this as adware/scumware.

I liked this commentary in the reviews:

Quote:
In a way, I find IncrediMail sort of useful. If I receive an email made with this client I know the sender is someone I don't need to take seriously.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 PM

An update, as the superior is not very tech savvy only casually the superior mentioned that the Google search on the home page was not working as before, no big deal.. until she mentioned again and I asked to let me take another look.

It turns out that the piece of crap makers of Incredimail also made their installer change the home page, the new home page looks like a Google home page, only that the search seems to go to the Incredimail servers before getting to Google, bad enough that it seems to try to get your surfing information, but on top of that it is a very crappy and slow search.

After changing the home page to the proper one Incredimail is finally gone.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM

It isn't spyware or malware or anything suspicious. It is just an email client that maintains its status as being free by using advertising. I think it is aimed at the young and old who are not so comfortable using computers and has lots of ways to make your emails ugly as sin.

The changed homepage isn't anything to worry about either, they aren't tracking your usage or anything like that, they just use the Google engine (as they clearly state 'Powered by Google') and add their own content that is useful to incredimail users.

The email client isn't exactly 'good' or anything like that but it isn't anything to worry about either, just uninstall it and put your homepage back and you are good to go.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM

I agree

My wife loves this program and I hate it but not for tech reasons or slowing down my computer just that I find all the cartoons sounds and what not very annoying a lot of what can be done can be done in Microsoft outlook and what can't be done I don't want lol.
I just installed this for her in her asus 2 gig surf if you are unfamiliar with this machine it is basically an Intel celeron 800 mhz with 500mb ram 2 gig hard drive.
Initially installed with a very light version of linux I just installed a lite Version of XP Pro onto the system antivirus and incredimail with about 400 mb left over I got her an 8 gig and a 4 gig external memory cards to supplement space for downloading and what not.
I guess my point is even on this tiny machine incredimail did not do anything to slow it down or embed it self mind ya during install I did refuse the toolbar and the other stuff that could make a difference.
Over all thought it is nothing to worry about if you don't like it remove it and forget about it.
I suggest anyone who wants to use to not install all the rest of what they offer during a typical install and always choose custom so you can pick and choose what it puts in and does.
I am a computer Technician from the days when we really repaired systems and not just do a swap part game till we get it right and call myself a tech. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittu View Post
It isn't spyware or malware or anything suspicious. It is just an email client that maintains its status as being free by using advertising. I think it is aimed at the young and old who are not so comfortable using computers and has lots of ways to make your emails ugly as sin.

The changed homepage isn't anything to worry about either, they aren't tracking your usage or anything like that, they just use the Google engine (as they clearly state 'Powered by Google') and add their own content that is useful to incredimail users.

The email client isn't exactly 'good' or anything like that but it isn't anything to worry about either, just uninstall it and put your homepage back and you are good to go.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Here's the Incredimail website [ominous]if you dare[/ominous].

That looks almost, but not quite, exactly unlike an email program I would want to use.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate420 View Post
<snip>

lol
No IT guy I've ever met types "lol." You are a shill, and a bad one at that.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate420 View Post
My wife loves this program
You need to get a better wife. Upgrade!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
OK, based on the comments so far, it is clear that I should mark this as adware/scumware.

I liked this commentary in the reviews:
Quote:
In a way, I find IncrediMail sort of useful. If I receive an email made with this client I know the sender is someone I don't need to take seriously.
I set up a rule on my company's corporate Exchange server (receiving ~5000 emails per day) which shitcans any message sent with Incredimail and sends an autoreply to the sender explaining that we don't accept any messages composed with Incredimail and suggesting that they use webmail or any other mail client if they need to send e-mail to any of our employees.

This may seem extreme, but there's a good reason for it - our industry has strict regulations about retention of e-mail correspondence, and it's hard for us to stay under the 60GB logical limit for the database without archiving more than once a year. Incredimail messages are bloated. (Trigger for this policy was the discovery during a large-mail review of a >1MB e-mail which carried the message: "Thanks!")

A secondary benefit of this policy is that it presents a small barrier to communication from a certain subset of morons, and every little helps.

Last edited by Larry Mudd; 04-21-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Closed Thread