Fantasy novels with an Asian setting or Asian theme

I’m aware of Tales of the Otori, and the old Forgotten Realms Empire Trilogy. There has to be more. Any suggestions?

There was a series of novels written for the Legend of the Five Rings setting. I’ve only read a couple, but at least the first book, The Scorpion, is worth reading.

Bridge of Birds.

It’s only a short story, but The Nightingale is set in China. The tale of Aladdin, in the original 1001 Nights is also set in China.

Stephen R. Donaldson wrote an excellent martial arts-themed fantasy short story (almost a novella) by the name of “The Killing Stroke”, featured in his short story anthology Reave the Just and Other Tales. It’s worth buying for that story alone, although there’s other good stuff there too (like two stories of the aforementioned Reave, the world’s first passive-agressive superhero).

The Master Li series, by Barry Hughart. Gorgeous, comedic, and insane. Also very chinese.

bad post

Barry Hughard, for sure. Before all others.

Eric van Lustbader has some Orientalish works – the Sunset Warrior series (may be out of print).

Jessica Salmonson did a trilogy (IIRC) on Tomoe Gozen.

E. Hoffmann Price did “The Devil Wives of Li Fong” and “The Jade Enchantress” – both set in China.

Will Shetterly did “Witchblood”, which was sort-of an Orientalish setting.

I was going to say Kafka by the Shore.

I guess it is considered fantasy, perhaps not. I did enjoy it and would reccomend it. I have heard good things about Muramaki’s other books.

I would suggest Thirteen Orphans, by Jane Lindskold. I think it’s technically a Young Adult book (series?) but it was quite well-done. Brings in the chinese zodiac signs, mah-jongg, action, … which reminds me, I’ve been meaning to look and see if the next one in the series is out.

“Journey to the West” is the great epic fantasy of China. It’s the story of the monk who travels to India to bring Buddhism back to China, and the monkey king who goes along with him as his protector.

Does it have to be genuine Asian or can it be fantasy Asian-like setting?

Raymond E. Feist’s Daughter of the Empire series is set in a pseudo-Japanese setting, with humans co-existing with an intelligent insectoid hive species.

Much of Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson, is set in Hong Kong, and the quintessential attitudes of Chinese culture are a major set piece. It’s more science fiction than fantasy, though.

Has anyone mentioned Barry Hughart? I was always disappointed that he never wrote more than the three books.

No, Asian-like is acceptable.
…or is it yes, Asian-like is acceptable?

The Chronicles of Narnia…

…no, wait, that’s an Aslan theme.

I don’t mean this to be snarky although it might come out as such: I really recommend looking up some actual Asian authors in addition to white people who write about their Asian experience or “the” Asian experience.

Chung Kuo (series) by David Wingrove. It’s really more like world-building/SF than fantasy.

There’s eight books in the series which vary in quality but the first one is a pretty good book.

Zelazny’s Lord of Light which is based in part on the Hindu pantheon.

Another fan of Hughart’s novels.

I’ve also enjoyed Liz William’s series about Detective Inspector Chen.