Boston Terrier, best breed for an apartment ?

I want to get a dog from what I’ve researched a Boston is about the best type of dog to get for an apartment setting.

Their quiet ain’t a yapper but yet a reliable alarm system. Doesn’t need much grooming but needs discipline, walks and playtime daily.

Any Boston owners out there ?

Boston Terriers are very, very vocal dogs by nature. They can be easily trained not to be vocal, but untrained they are very definitely “yappers”.

They also need more grooming than most breeds, not less. Those facial folds are prone to infection and needs to be washed on a regular basis. They probably need less grooming than some long haired breeds, but as short haired breeds go they have high grooming requirements.

French bulldogs are generally considered the optimal apartment breed, though they take some training to handle being left alone for any period. They are less energetic than the other bulldogs and are an inherently quiet breed.

:confused:

I’ve owned three Bostons throughout my lifetime. None of mine ever barked. In fact, some people complain that Bostons are too inactive. They aren’t very active after puppyhood. I like a quiet dog and love Bostons. Their breed nickname is American Gentleman. :wink:

Never had any grooming issues. They occasionally shed their short hair. My Bostons never had any skin deep folds. I’ve seen pictures of many Bostons and they don’t have skin folds.

If you want one for an apartment be sure to check the parents. Bostons can range in size from 16 lbs to 25 lbs. Mine were about 18 lbs.

aceplace57 and Blake, do you have any experience with Pugs? I am curious about how the Boston Terriers compare to Pugs in regards to personality, yappiness, and compatibility with other animals.

Every Pug I’ve ever met has been very social, mellow, people oriented and not in any way yappy or snappy. Same with the male Boston Terrier I met recently.

Since the OP is really looking for shared experiences and advice, I think IMHO would be a better forum than General Questions. Moved.

samclem Moderator, GQ

I have a lot of experience with pugs. They’re great dogs and (after the first year or so) are definitely couch potato types, as much as any dog can be, though they still need exercise. It’s just that a few block walk seems to do it.

Pugs are not typically ‘yappers’ but can be vocal. Both of the pugs in my extended family (one of which is mine) tend to bark when they see another dog while on the leash. If they can go and say hello, or are scolded, they generally simmer down. My dog also tends to try to be a watchdog and bark when he sees people in the yard and suchlike. They don’t seem to bark needlessly or get anxiety issues.

A pug, however, is your shadow. They love company and they are not individualistic at all. When I’m home, my pug is either with me or playing with the cat. He never just goes off to do whatever. If he wants to chew a bone, he sits at my feet. If I watch TV, he snuggles with me on the couch. I had to put his bed two feet away from me or he won’t ever use it. My sister’s pug is less clingy but still definitely focused on getting lots of love and attention.

I think that they’re great. In terms of compatibility with other animals, this is going to vary a great deal depending on how you socialize them, but my pug has never met a dog he doesn’t like. When he goes to the dog park, he has no fear of big dogs (unless they are behaving in an aggressive way, like growling). He’ll go right up to them and even rear on his hind legs to get his butt-sniff on. He also loves my cat and plays with him all the time, wrestling with him on the ground, play-chasing him, even sharing toys, and he’s never hurt him.

Potty training is an issue with pugs - they take longer than with other breeds. I found potty pads useful for saving my carpet. This might be more important if you rent.

I don’t know as much about Boston terriers. I’ve met lots of them at the dog park and I think they’re great dogs, too; they were actually my first choice for breed until my sister got a pug who I just adored. I’ve met a few Bostons here and there that had more anxiety/shyness issues than the pugs I know, but that could just be random chance.

An overgeneralized, stereotypic, unscientific response:

If you see the label “terrier” don’t think about it. Terriers tend to be hyper, disobedient, unaffectionate and generally a PITA despite their cute looks.

A safer bet, especially for an apartment dog is a hound. Yes, most hounds were bred for hunting but they can be great in an apartment where they know they can’t dig their way out. Walk them and let them sniff. Then, while they are being lazy, which is most of their life, they will snuggle up to you.

Again, I admit this is a huge generalization. Each dog, like each person, is different.

I am biased because I have one and got him because I rent and for empty nest. I used to breed dogs, French Bulldogs and Bostons are way smarter. Boston Terriers have silly personalities and you can see them on Utube in action. My dog makes me laugh every day.

Percy was easy to train, Is 16 pounds, doesn’t shed much, eats a cup of dog food a day and has a small turd once a day outside on command. He sleeps a lot on or near me but can be very affectionate and loves walks and car rides. He is fine at home when I work and doesn’t chew anything other then his toys. He only barks when someone is on the porch. They are not yappers. He loves to play with other dogs.

There are dogs and there are Bostons and my Boston is my best friend. I also want to add that for me it was important to get a puppy and raise him my way. They have them in shelters but many of them that are mistreated have issues or came from puppy mills. They are not bad dogs but they may need more attention.
I got Percy at 8 weeks and he spent most of the time on my lap or with my son until he was 6 months old.

Another note. Bostons are family dogs and don’t do kennels well. One time Percy got loose and got picked up and brought to the animal shelter. Within an hour I was there to bail him out and he was a mess. He was almost hyper ventilating and shaking and yowling. When he saw me he jumped into my arms and calmed down.

The worst dogs for apartments are large dogs that need to run and a lot of exercise. Bostons are happy just to walk around the yard.

Personally, I keep a German Shepherd in my apartment. Kemper (Harris vom Zellwaldrand) is a 95-lb, 9-month-old puppy, and as long as we run and walk every day and play a little fetch in the park every now and then, he handles apartment life wonderfully.

I think the key is to choose a breed that has the appropriate energy level for you, not just for your home. An active owner who wants to play and go on walks might be disappointed with a bassett hound that lays around all day, just like a less active owner wouldn’t do so well with a high-energy terrier breed.

I have several friends who have Bostons and they’re absolutely wonderful apartment dogs. If my hubby were more of a dog fan, we’d have one.

I’ve seen breed information that claims Bostons get down to 12 lbs. I’d love to have a small female that size. It would make a better lap dog. So far, I’ve never ran across a breeder that had the small ones.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/boston_terrier/

I like Frenchies too. They’re too rich for me. Their big heads require a Cesarean just like English Bulldogs. They also have smaller liters. There’s an ad in my local paper. French Bulldog pups, $1000 each. I could buy three Boston pups for that.

We’ve had a couple of Bostons and they weren’t yappy at all. Bostons have loads of personality and are very people oriented. I love 'em.

This Boston Terrier reminds me of mine. Spoiled rotten! At The end they show her with a Frenchie so you can see the difference.

Cute Video of a Boston Terrier

If you don’t have your heart set on a Boston, personally I think the best dogs for apartment life are Brusell Griffons. They love small places, rarely bark, don’t shed and get their exercise from a few minutes of fetch each day. My neighbor’s Boston never shut up from the moment he left until the moment he got home each night. I think it requires a lot of attention and companionship. Although that may have just been his.

To add to what fluiddruid said about pugs:

• I didn’t find my pugs any harder/easier to potty train than any other dog I’ve had (and I’ve had plenty).

• They do like to be by you, but my two are not especially clingy. I work at home, my girl pug spends her day on the couch in my office. Boy pug is either in Mr. Athena’s office, or at the top of the stairs right outside my office. They both sleep most of the day.

• They bark when someone comes to the door. Or when they think someone is coming to the door. Or when the wind blows loudly. Yeah, they bark more than I’d like, but I wouldn’t say they’re yappy.

• After having bigger dogs most of my life, I am completely goofy about pugs. I don’t think I’d ever have a different kind of dog, although if I did, it’d be a Boston Terrier or (veerrrrryy tempting) a French bulldog. I’d hate to get a non-pug, though, and then wish I had a pug.

• They are friendly to other people/other dogs, but not overly so. My girl pug can be quite shy. Boy pug loves everyone.

• They do need exercise, but not a lot. We have a big house, and they chase each other around in the evenings. We need to throw toys for them on the days we don’t get them out for a walk. They don’t need much of a walk - 20-30 min is fine - but I have seen them go a little stir crazy in the winter when they don’t get out much.

I know nothing about Bostons, but good grief Ibanez - don’t even think of having a Frenchie LOL - unless you can handle the farts, PITA skin rashes, food sensitivities and choking hazards, snorting, snuffling, drooling, face fold cleaning, toilet training issues, heat dramas, separation anxieties, and anaesthetic concerns should surgery ever be needed. (I don’t have one, but a friend does. It takes more thinking energy than a semi-trailer full of kids.)
It may be worth your while to check out a dog forum. There’ll very helpful with the questions you may have.

This is a very important point. Bostons are one of the breeds most susceptable to
hydrocephalus, and puppy mills are notorious for breeding and selling without heed to problems like this.

A dog with pronounced hydrocephalus might be successfully treated, but a dog with minor, undiagnosed hydrocephalus is just going to be considered unintelligent or crazy. They are difficult to train and will have all kinds of chronic problems, and the owner might never know why the dog is such a holy terror.

If you decide on a Boston, take the time and spend the money to research a quality breeder and ask about the dog’s lineage. Ask about hydrocephalus and how the breeder avoids it or deals with it. A well-bred Boston is a fine companion.

My parents had three Maltese, and they kept the dogs in a puppy cut, rather than allowing the hair grow. Maltese are extremely affectionate, and are perfectly willing to sit on the couch with you for hours, watching TV. They will bark when someone comes around, because they think that it’s a new friend. They are very intelligent and trainable, and can get quite a bit of exercise indoors, even in an apartment. Maltese were bred to be companions, and that’s what they want…to spend time with their humans.

Any dog is going to need discipline, walks, and playtime daily. Even the smallest dog needs discipline, so that it isn’t a spoiled brat.

I do suggest keeping their hair (and it is hair) in a very short cut. You can either get it done at a groomers or buy a set of clippers. Maltese rarely get bigger than about 7 pounds, so it’s not like you’ll have a long task in front of you. And they are so delighted to get attention that they’re very easy to clip.

You’re right–it sure is a stereotypic generalization! I have a Westie (West Highland Terrier), and he is quiet, smart, obedient, and affectionate. And while I had a house when I got him, I’m in a condo that is very similar to an apartment right now, and he’s fine there.

Thanks everyone for their stories, experiences appreciated.

I do plan to get my Boston from a reputable breeder, I already have one in mind. I want a good healthy dog that isn’t from a puppy mill.

Does anyone have an experience with crating Bostons ? When I get him/her I do plan to take two weeks off work and spend time with him and gradually leave the apartment for periods of time to get him used to being alone. Because last thing I want is the puppy going batshit crazy if I just crate him for 8 hours one day all of a sudden.