The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Straight Dope Chicago

Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 AM

Who wants money? I need a Green charity in Chicago to donate money to.

I'm helping arrange a cocktail party with around 500 guests. One of our sponsors, eBay's Green Team, wants to hold a fundraiser as part of the event, and donate the proceeds to a "local Green charity".

It must be a 501c3 working in Chicagoland, and it must have as one of its primary goals something Green (in the ecology sense.) I'm looking for a few suggestions to send to eBay's Green Team; they will make the final decision.

Who do you think should get the money and why?
Advertisements  
Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Gormless Wienie

I've worked with Friends of the Chicago River for many years, an environmental group with 501(c)(3) status. They've done some fine work - I can put you in touch with somebody there if interested. Let me know.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:08 AM

Thank, Ed! I will definitely include Friends of the Chicago River in my suggestions, and, my own selfish choice, Waters Today, the not for profit raising funds for the Ecology Program at my daughter's school. (That's why I'm letting the Green Team folks pic. Obviously, I want my daughter's school to keep their gardens and composters and maybe get that greenhouse this year, but it feels shady to recommend only one charity that I have a personal attachment to.)

If Friends of the Chicago River is chosen, I'll be back in touch for contact information, thanks!

Any other suggestions? Anyone?
Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Gormless Wienie

Ha! Cecil mentioned WatersToday in a recent column - last paragraph under item 4. Terri showed us around - great school, great program. If they get the donation I won't complain.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
Ha! Cecil mentioned WatersToday in a recent column - last paragraph under item 4. Terri showed us around - great school, great program. If they get the donation I won't complain.
That's so cool! We're entering the school as kindergarten parents in the fall, so I don't have any personal experience with them yet, but I've got one friend with kids there for a few years, and they've been very pleased indeed. The place looks great, and the Ecology program really is well integrated, and even better, their test scores are slowly creeping up; the youngest ones have better state test scores than the older grades, indicating to me that things are improving there, it's just going to take time to catch everyone up. My ex actually moved into the neighborhood because of the school; for a CPS school, it seems to be one of the better ones in an area he can afford to live in.

Thanks to The Straight Dope for visiting and helping spread awareness! And thank you for pointing me to the article; I missed it when it was originally posted.